Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pmac
Jun 12, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

It's a bit of a hike, but Wolf Creek in Mesquite is one of the coolest golf courses on the planet

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like a little more than an hour drive, not bad at all for what looks like an awesome track.

Josh Lyman posted:

Twist Face is the biggest scam since the SLDR.

Yeah, it's all marketing. Twist face is just slightly exaggerated bulge and roll, which is technology used by every woods manufacturer and has been for years. According to TaylorMade, on twist face the high toe area of the face has loft ~0.5* open compared to the center of the face to get a starting direction slightly more rightward than a traditional toe mishit. Opposite for the low heel area, which is slightly more closed than the center of the face to start the ball more left. Toe hits tend to draw and heel hits tend to fade, so theoretically bulge and roll (twist face) gets dispersion closer to the target line.

Compared to other drivers, twist face might bring a toe or heel hit a few yards closer to center but it won't solve a golfer's poor club/path relationship. For example, Tiger's 40-yard, 2-way misses.

pmac fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I've fallen in love with my pm grind 58 degree so much that I bought 3 more off Callaway pre owned with plans to hoard them like those people who still have a few extra ping eye 2s in the wrapper. Don't see myself ever ditching it.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I think I hit more fairways than Tiger Woods.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Tiger looked like he wanted to kill two birds with one stone and wrap his m3 around that retard who yelled out during his putt.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Surely that guy got kicked out, yes?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Lincoln posted:

Surely that guy got kicked out, yes?

Yeah they had footage of a marshal showing him the exit.

I played on a GC2 sim yesterday and was hitting all of my drives off the very top of the face even when I had the ball teed super low which is the opposite of my usual miss, the 3 wood was working well though. I'll probably be going back a few more times in the next couple months since winter golf really hasn't been an option this year.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah they had footage of a marshal showing him the exit.

I played on a GC2 sim yesterday and was hitting all of my drives off the very top of the face even when I had the ball teed super low which is the opposite of my usual miss, the 3 wood was working well though. I'll probably be going back a few more times in the next couple months since winter golf really hasn't been an option this year.

I tend to do that if I get too steep on the down swing.

drat, playoff continues tomorrow. Mad respect for Noren - he's a great player. I'm going for J Day tho :)

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 29, 2018

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JB Holmes is slow as gently caress so the last group finished 40 min after the scheduled broadcast.

Then there was a playoff that went for 5 holes that went another 1.5 hours and had to be paused for darkness.

Meanwhile, the LPGA had a delayed start and finished their tournament in the darkness with lights on the 18th green.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

JB Holmes is slow as gently caress so the last group finished 40 min after the scheduled broadcast.

Then there was a playoff that went for 5 holes that went another 1.5 hours and had to be paused for darkness.

Meanwhile, the LPGA had a delayed start and finished their tournament in the darkness with lights on the 18th green.

Holmes is getting ripped apart on Twitter by other pga pros about how slow he was lol. They said his final shot took over 4 minutes!

It looked like Day wanted to keep going after his final putt but the official told him nope :(

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Plus Day was in at -10, JB needed an eagle to get into the playoff... and he lays up. Sure its a relatively easy wedge shot in for those guys which he could have drained, but going for it and ending up over the back of the green would surely have been more likely to get him the eagle. It was a really strange play.

Actually, I just saw some post-round comments by JB and he claims he had a better shot at holing the wedge than he would have from the back rough. Still took way too long though.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 29, 2018

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

mattfl posted:

Holmes is getting ripped apart on Twitter by other pga pros about how slow he was lol. They said his final shot took over 4 minutes!

4:10. Plus golf channel said he had like 2 minutes while the group on front cleared, so really he was mulling that shot for about 6 minutes, only to lay up into the rough. :downsbravo:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Presto posted:

4:10. Plus golf channel said he had like 2 minutes while the group on front cleared, so really he was mulling that shot for about 6 minutes, only to lay up into the rough. :downsbravo:

Between that and the 23 minute wait that Tiger's group had on a par 3 something needs to change on the PGA Tour.

It's amazing when these guys go out as a single with a marker on a Sunday and play in 2 hours but put a few groups out there and nobody can play in less than 5.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Glad J Day won, not exactly a positive answer when asked about the condition of his back. Such a common issue with young players now.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I can't imagine that swinging 120+ mph like a lot of these younger player do is good for your back long term.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Capco posted:

I can't imagine that swinging 120+ mph like a lot of these younger player do is good for your back long term.
DJ hits 125mph and Rory hits 120mph with smooth swings, but Jason Day appears to actually swing hard. Same with Justin Thomas.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Wesley Bryan is over here taking advertising to a whole new level

These are the balls he'll play this week at the WMO

I loving love it lol

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Mark Crossfield better be getting a bonus from Callaway lol. Or at least some free tacos.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Between that and the 23 minute wait that Tiger's group had on a par 3 something needs to change on the PGA Tour.

It's amazing when these guys go out as a single with a marker on a Sunday and play in 2 hours but put a few groups out there and nobody can play in less than 5.

It reminds me of baseball. These asses will take as much time as you allow them to take.

If the PGA really cared (they don't) then they would put golfers on a stopwatch after a warning and start calling penalty strokes.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Mark Crossfield better be getting a bonus from Callaway lol. Or at least some free tacos.

He's a Titleist staffer now unfortunately.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mattfl posted:

Wesley Bryan is over here taking advertising to a whole new level

These are the balls he'll play this week at the WMO

I loving love it lol

lmao this rules

I've got to go to that tournament sometime

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Speaking of balls, just bought a dozen Wilson Duos. Been hitting Elite 50s for the last year. Duos considerably softer, and the 50 Elite is already a soft ball. Will give high-handicapper feedback after I play.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Shrapnig posted:

He's a Titleist staffer now unfortunately.

Yeah I just meant he had the custom Truvis balls with his face quite a while ago, maybe they offered them before that but I definitely didn't hear about it until he put them in play.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

lmao this rules

I've got to go to that tournament sometime

It's a loving blast. And I say that as someone who really doesn't follow golf anymore.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Suprfli6 posted:

Yeah I just meant he had the custom Truvis balls with his face quite a while ago, maybe they offered them before that but I definitely didn't hear about it until he put them in play.

You're right. I don't think I had seen anything like that before Crossfield.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Christ DeChambeau is a slow player. The commentators are fawning over his unique approach but it's infuriating to watch him pace off every shot.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

Suprfli6 posted:

They did a special yellow ball/green Pentagon run with a map of Australia inside the green parts for the Australian open but that was also several months after Crossfield had them in play.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Halo14 posted:

Christ DeChambeau is a slow player. The commentators are fawning over his unique approach but it's infuriating to watch him pace off every shot.

They were all heaping a lot of praise on Rahm at the start of the round too. I like his swing but not the mental side of his game, whether he's a Spaniard or not. Another blown 54 hole lead for Rickie too.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I think I just broke myself. Holy loving poo poo this hurts. I'm a 14 HCI and I just birdied 17 going to 18, score sitting at 75. I hit my tee shot good on 18 and hit my knees shortly afterwards. Something around my kidneys on the left side of my back popped and it loving hurts to breathe right now. I carded a 7 for 18 so no breaking 80 but holy poo poo this pain. I think I might have hosed myself up good :(

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 9, 2018

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Farking Bastage posted:

I think I just broke myself. Holy loving poo poo this hurts. I'm a 14 HCI and I just birdied 17 going to 18, score sitting at 75. I hit my tee shot good on 18 and hit my knees shortly afterwards. Something around my kidneys on the left side of my back popped and it loving hurts to breathe right now. I carded a 7 for 18 so no breaking 80 but holy poo poo this pain. I think I might have hosed myself up good :(

You, you might wanna go and see a Doc asap man! If something popped that's no good!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah get to a doc, FB.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I put a lidocaine patch on, taped an icepack to my side and took a poo poo ton of ibuprofen and it's a lot better. If it's not better tomorrow I'll go to urgent care. It's acting like I may have pulled an intercostal muscle on my left side. The pop I described wasn't audible so much as a feeling when it let go. Hanging in there for the interim.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Embrace the pain and keep playing until you can win an US Open with a broken leg. Doctors are for quitters.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Hope you didn't pop a lung or some rib cartilage my man :ohdear:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Farking Bastage posted:

I put a lidocaine patch on, taped an icepack to my side and took a poo poo ton of ibuprofen and it's a lot better. If it's not better tomorrow I'll go to urgent care. It's acting like I may have pulled an intercostal muscle on my left side. The pop I described wasn't audible so much as a feeling when it let go. Hanging in there for the interim.

Definitely sounds like a muscle injury in your back. I'd go see someone regardless because it's in your back. You don't want to quite literally cripple yourself from something that just needs a month of maintenance.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Was late for my tee time, so when I called, the guy was really casual, said lots of open times, just show up any time. The weather was supposed to be mid thirties to start, 50s by the time I finished, so pretty good for February. I get to the course, it's 29 degrees, cloud cover is 25 feet or so from the ground, and I'm the first person on the course, playing alone. How do people NOT golf on days like this? 2 hours and 15 minutes later, and it was fantastic.

2018-02-09_08-37-45 by B. B., on Flickr

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

torgeaux posted:

Was late for my tee time, so when I called, the guy was really casual, said lots of open times, just show up any time. The weather was supposed to be mid thirties to start, 50s by the time I finished, so pretty good for February. I get to the course, it's 29 degrees, cloud cover is 25 feet or so from the ground, and I'm the first person on the course, playing alone. How do people NOT golf on days like this? 2 hours and 15 minutes later, and it was fantastic.

2018-02-09_08-37-45 by B. B., on Flickr

Green looks fenced off but I don't see a temporary flag. Hidden behind that tree or something?

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I played 9 today on the only course open around here and all the greens were flagged off so you had to putt from short mowed fairway grass. I shot a 42 with 23 putts lol.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Jovial Cow posted:

Green looks fenced off but I don't see a temporary flag. Hidden behind that tree or something?

Not out of play. This time of year it has that roped fence to keep elk off. It doesn't work. The greens held approach shots on Friday, too.

Oh, and the green starts about center of pic, and moves right. You're seeing about 1/4 of the far left side of the green.

Here's a shot of the course on Sunday:

IMG_20180210_121115967 by B. B., on Flickr

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 11, 2018

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

BCRock posted:

Embrace the pain and keep playing until you can win an US Open with a broken leg. Doctors are for quitters.

Solid advice here.

But seriously, get to a doctor sooner rather than later. It's been a few months since I've swung a golf club, and before my break began, my lower back was hurting, even more so after golf. Figured a few months off would help, but it hasn't really helped at all. Got a doctor's appointment this week. Don't like having to worry about the stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Golf Channel naturally put Kelly Rohrbach on their homepage for the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am

If that name sounds familiar, you may know her from last year's remake of Baywatch starring The Rock

But she's primarily known for being a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model