Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would you rather be a Pirates fan or an Astros fan

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

and then what happened?

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I want to live in the alternate timeline where none of the Astros top draft picks over the last 5 years panned out and they live as a cautionary tale that tanking is bad.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Pirates fan checking in.

It sucks total poo poo and baseball makes me want to jump off one of Pittsburgh's many beautiful bridges.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

and then what happened?

The Astros won, rewarding the idea that not spending and tanking for 5 years is good and teams should do it.

Like the Pirates are doing now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So the answer is obviously neither; I'd rather be a fan of a team that actually spends money and tries to contend every chance they can.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 9, 2018

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How did tanking help the astros. They got Correa. He's good obviously.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. It just seems to me they could have been less bad and ended up in the same spot. Minus Correa.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

How did tanking help the astros. They got Correa. He's good obviously.

I'm not trying to be argumentative. It just seems to me they could have been less bad and ended up in the same spot. Minus Correa.

Correa, Bregman, Springer are all first rounders during the Astros terribad years, They gave a 5'5" 2nd basemen the chance to develop and play in the majors leagues because they were not trying to win, they had the assets to trade for Brian McCann, Justin Verlander, ect.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh Bregman was 1.2.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Comptroll The Forums posted:

I want to live in the alternate timeline where none of the Astros top draft picks over the last 5 years panned out and they live as a cautionary tale that tanking is bad.

:alexa:

Springer was pre-tank, McCullers was signable because they took Correa instead of Appel or Buxton which in hindsight is hilarious

Altuve was told to go home after his first day of tryouts and showed up for the second day anyway so yeah weird how things work out sometimes

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Astros won, rewarding the idea that not spending and tanking for 5 years is good and teams should do it.

Like the Pirates are doing now.

The Astros had one of the oldest and worst teams in baseball when the tank began. Their farm was also in the bottom 5 in baseball. They didn't have much of a choice tbh

Never forget the offseason Drayton signed Woody Williams in hopes he would put them over the top

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 9, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Tanking is bullshit. If your team is old and your farm is bad you just keep playing winning seasons and usually being in the mix until September, then finally one year your GM convinces ownership to trade two of the best relievers in the game for a huge haul of prospects, then you trade your catcher and OF/DH for more prospects, promote your own guys to fill those positions and then still almost make it to the playoffs, then two years later you have the #2 farm system in baseball and are favorites for your division after playing to ALCS game 7 in the previous season.

It's not that hard people.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Feels Villeneuve posted:

would you rather be a Pirates fan or an Astros fan

Astros vs Blue Jays is probably a better comp. At this moment obviously Astros but taken as a whole, Blue Jays.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Inspector_666 posted:

Tanking is bullshit. If your team is old and your farm is bad you just keep playing winning seasons and usually being in the mix until September, then finally one year your GM convinces ownership to trade two of the best relievers in the game for a huge haul of prospects, then you trade your catcher and OF/DH for more prospects, promote your own guys to fill those positions and then still almost make it to the playoffs, then two years later you have the #2 farm system in baseball and are favorites for your division after playing to ALCS game 7 in the previous season.

It's not that hard people.

Yankees really are the baseball equivalent of baby boomers saying poor people should just get a loving job.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

In a way the Astros came close to having the tank job backfire on them considering they drafted only the third #1 overall pick to never play in the majors and the next year drafted a #1 overall pick who might become the fourth (but didn't sign him and he didn't go first the next year so I guess it doesn't count?)

Who was that guy who got drafted in the first but wasn't satisfied with his position or bonus, so he kept re-entering the draft for like five years in a row and each time kept sliding further and further down?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Intruder posted:

Who was that guy who got drafted in the first but wasn't satisfied with his position or bonus, so he kept re-entering the draft for like five years in a row and each time kept sliding further and further down?

Matt Harrington.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Tony Phillips posted:

Matt Harrington.

Wow, I'd never heard of the guy but what a loving tragedy. His Wikipedia page says he was working at Costco as of 2009, wonder what he's up to.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Sydin posted:

The Reds payroll right now is ~$84m. They could have resigned Cozart (3/38), thrown money and years at one of Darvish/Arrieta (let's say 6/150) and one of Cobb/Lynn (let's say 5/100) and thrown another ~$20m AAV at the bullpen and picked up two of Cishek, Reed, Morrow, McGee, etc. That roughly doubles their payroll to ~$166m, and now they look like this:

Rotation: Darvish/Arrieta, Cobb/Lynn, Castillo, DeSclafani, one of Bailey/Finnegan/Romano/Stephenson
Bullpen: Iglesias, Lorenzen, two quality FA additions, Peralta, Hughes, Hernandez
Lineup 1-8: Barnhart, Votto, Gennett, Cozart, Suarez, Duvall, Hamilton, Schebler

And that's ignoring the possibility of the Reds signing another lower end guy to sit in the back of their rotation like Garcia or Tillman, or leveraging their farm/plethora of young troubled arms with upside to swing a trade.

Is this team going to win the NL Central? Probably not, but they're certainly in the pack along with the Brewers/Cardinals and beyond an outside shot at the division it's solid as gently caress for the WC. And at least the Reds would finally be doing something besides meandering in mediocrity for years on end with seemingly no plan of actually emerging from their psuedo-tank.

This is a very 2015 White Sox roster

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Phillies tanked and instead of Correa got ....

Mickey Moniak

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

bawfuls posted:

Are the Rays finally getting a new stadium in Tampa?

https://twitter.com/sn_mlb/status/961753064867741696

Yay! :woop:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

euphronius posted:

The Phillies tanked and instead of Correa got ....

Mickey Moniak

At least Appel won't be the "Last #1 overall pick not to make the major leagues" for long.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Chief McHeath posted:

Wow, I'd never heard of the guy but what a loving tragedy. His Wikipedia page says he was working at Costco as of 2009, wonder what he's up to.

No kidding. How the hell did his agent talk an 18 year old kid out of a $4m signing bonus offer back in 2000?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GoatSeeGuy posted:

At least Appel won't be the "Last #1 overall pick not to make the major leagues" for long.
Moniak is not a bust yet, I don’t get that view that I keep hearing. He has only had one year in pro ball. He’s like 18/19.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was over at Mesa Riverview this evening and walked over to the Cubs' facility after dinner to check it out. It's apparently the biggest Spring Training stadium in terms of seating (15,000) in the entire MLB. It was built back in 2014 to the tune of 100 million bucks. I need to catch a game there next month. They're playing the D'Backs on March 15th.

I loves me some Tigers, but they're 2,100 miles away in Lakeland, FL. This will have to suffice. I just figured the Cubs goons in SAS would appreciate this.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, I live about 15 minutes away from Sloan Park and we go to games every year. It’s a really nice spring training park. I’m not sure Mesa has seen the necessary ROI from building it but eh.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Tanking is going to be the way most teams that either can't or don't want to be skating up against the luxury tax every single year are going to compete for the foreseeable future because there is nothing worse in sports than being that perfectly mediocre team that sits a handful of games above or below .500 all year. In the NBA and NHL those are the bottom seeds who get swept out of the first round by the teams that matter most of the time. In the NFL and in baseball they're the teams that end up with middle of the road draft picks while occasionally overperforming and sneaking into the playoffs for a forgettable run twice a decade. I doubt that too many Orioles, A's, or Diamondbacks fans look back fondly at their playoff teams this decade.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Great pics of Sloan, I would love to visit someday. Every fall a bunch of the guys I play with go down there for a rec league tournament where they play in a bunch of spring training parks, I really need to do it one year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sloan is great, although it could really use a better beer selection.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

Sloan is great, although it could really use a better beer selection.

TripAdvisor posted:

If you want an Old Style, you'll need to go to the small stand behind home plate.

Seems OK to me.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Comptroll The Forums posted:

No kidding. How the hell did his agent talk an 18 year old kid out of a $4m signing bonus offer back in 2000?

Also a guaranteed call up within two years

e: minor league baseball owns

https://twitter.com/playfresno/status/961690325126234112?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E0

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 10, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Paul Zuvella posted:

So the answer is obviously neither; I'd rather be a fan of a team that actually spends money and tries to contend every chance they can.

Hello. Fellow Yankees Fan, our rebuild was an awful and terrifying experience too.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

gently caress yeah!!!

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

How is the thread title not Evan-Year Bullshit?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Moniak is not a bust yet, I don’t get that view that I keep hearing. He has only had one year in pro ball. He’s like 18/19.

I guess he will make the majors but he's a bust in that he's not going to be an all star

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

ZenVulgarity posted:

Hello. Fellow Yankees Fan, our rebuild was an awful and terrifying experience too.

It was a scary couple of hours.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is all this talk of tanking and cold stove putting you guys off watching baseball this year?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I live about 15 minutes away from Sloan Park and we go to games every year. It’s a really nice spring training park. I’m not sure Mesa has seen the necessary ROI from building it

They won't.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is all this talk of tanking and cold stove putting you guys off watching baseball this year?

Nope, if anything puts me off watching baseball it's that the games are five minutes too long :argh:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What happens if two tanking teams play each other? I imagine it to be a total farce.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

What happens if two tanking teams play each other? I imagine it to be a total farce.

The 1980s NL West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

The managers have a 100 meter footrace to tell the umpire crew chief that they forfeit.

• Locked thread