Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

potaties posted:

With the caveat that it edits hc_manager script, so it'll conflict with anything else that also makes changes to it, like Horizon (iirc)? So if you are trying to avoid issues like that, it can be worth checking out other options. Script override conflicts are the hardest things to troubleshoot, so I try to stay away from things that edit them unless they're high level like unofficial patches or full overhauls like Horizon.

I was just about to ask about Horizon. Yeah, if Survival Options messes with hc_manager, they are not compatible. I would guess that Horizon's changes only apply to its alterations to Survival mechanics so if you know what you're doing and really want to overwrite them with Survival Options that probably works, but I'm sure not gonna try that because it has "UNINTENDED CONSEQUENCES" written all over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Alright, so google has been no help with this question so I'm going to ask here. I've been using a number of cool new weapon mods and have had to make a few adjustments to make them more balanced for my particular game. I've been using the 10mm SMG, because it's rad, but my game is displaying its fire rate as something absurd like 400. It doesn't seem like it's firing that fast in game, but I wanted to double check. I've delved into the esp in FO4Edit, and I can't seem to find anything weird. I've gathered from what little information I can find that fire rate is controlled either by the speed or the attack delay, but neither of these look egregious; pretty comparable to other weapons in its tier. The Object Modifications seem to be fine as well, as the values they SET or MUL+ADD to look pretty alright.

I'm wondering if there are some known issues with how fire rate is displayed, I am using Valdacil's sorting and a number of Radrose's patches as well as DEFUI. Any ideas? Am I looking in the wrong place?

EDIT: Aaaaaaand now its displaying a much more reasonable number :psyduck: why are you so bad fallout, why

FishFood fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 10, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

A question about horizon. I find myself needing titanium or steel of various grades, and indeed I have a fair bit stockpiled, but I have no idea where I got any of it. It just seems to be something I have or I don't, and I don't know how to get more of a particular grade.

And a separate question altogether: Is there a mod that turns Quincy into a settlement after you kill all the gunners? It would be pretty rad to give the Longs, Sturges and Murphy their home back.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

A question about horizon. I find myself needing titanium or steel of various grades, and indeed I have a fair bit stockpiled, but I have no idea where I got any of it. It just seems to be something I have or I don't, and I don't know how to get more of a particular grade.

And a separate question altogether: Is there a mod that turns Quincy into a settlement after you kill all the gunners? It would be pretty rad to give the Longs, Sturges and Murphy their home back.

You can use the tech workshop to create more graded metals, but the bulk of it comes from disassembling weapons, high tech items or rare medals // coins.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool. Two other questions I remember having:

What do I do with Intact X, like Intact Mirelurk King Head or what have you?

What do you do with the books and manuals you pick up? I have found scripts for plays and books of law. Do they do something for settlers, like my Entertainers?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Does anyone have any experience editing models? There's a nice mod that reduces the default 10mm pistol's size by 20% and makes it way more reasonable, and I was hoping for some pointers on maybe doing something similar for the Classic 10mm from the creation club. I like how it looks and it's better as a single shot 10mm so I wanna use it, but it's too goddamn huge. :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Alloys mostly come from 'prototype' items. You get these from legendary enemies or from having your engineers do the 'research' action. At high skill level you also get them from technicians doing the 'find items' action and militia doing the 'assault camp' action.

'Intact' monster pieces are used to make trophy wall decorations in the Workshop. Or they can be sold.

'Law books' etc sell for caps. I think the scripts gave you a perk when you picked them up.
There's also some things ('research data', 'salvage report' etc) that go into your Aid tab and give xp when used.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 10, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Skeleton King posted:

If that ruins your immersion, consider this: none of the large buildings in the game have sensible interiors. Bethesda has no understanding of floor plans or function. You've got office buildings that are made out of corridors, hospitals where entire sections of the same floor don't connect to eachother and factories where people probably got lost and starved to death before the war.

The worst in my opinion is Corvega Assembly Plant, which is supposed to be a car factory. There is no way on earth that anything ever got manufactured in that hellish labyrinth. You can't even get a car out of the building. Bethesda must not know or care what an assembly line is, because there's no way to move cars and parts around in that building.I mean it's not hard to design a building to look like a car factory, there's pictures of them readily available. In fact, an actual factory layout would probably be much more fun in terms of gameplay since you won't get lost every few seconds.

Even their Vault layouts are loving terrible, and they had essentially done maps of those from all the way back in FO1, but they opted to make them 99.999% corridors and a few tiny rooms instead.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
How's the unofficial patch these days? Does it fix the loving Vault Door in Far Harbour? I've never gotten that drat quest to work properly.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Alloys mostly come from 'prototype' items. You get these from legendary enemies or from having your engineers do the 'research' action. At high skill level you also get them from technicians doing the 'find items' action and militia doing the 'assault camp' action.

The three-engineer "Research Project" mission also pays out mostly in alloys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Still bummed the old layout on Nexus is for the chop. Going to kill my urge to browse for these mods because the new one looks like hot rubbish soaked with sick.

Quiet NPC Footsteps muffles the sound of NPC walking about. Useful for those who play with headphones. Another mod with the same goal with Dogmeat in mind decreasing the volume of his walking sounds too.

No grabs or kill moves removes the flashy player and NPC animations from the game.

Backpacks of The Commonwealth might be the more lore friendly balanced and game mechanic considerate backpack mod for Fallout 4. Check it out.

TheKite Handmaiden despite the slightly creepy name and mixed reputation of the modder this is a nice stylized modular Noir looking outfit for female characters.

Better Automatic Weapon Sounds extends and adds variety to the firing sounds of each guns removing the looping sound effect.

Pattern 1796 Light Cavalry Saber is a refined and very functional looking Napoleonic era sword for those who want something like the Revolutionary War sword but doesn't look like utter shite.

Military Gorka Suit for those who want to play a Metro or Russian spec ops character.

King Of The Wild Hunt is another Witcher 3 inspired armor set complete with skull helmet. Males characters only sadly.

Dead Money Hazmat Suit another old friend from FNV recreated.

Fallout 3 style holotape model self explanatory.

Legate Themed Power Armor set for the Legion.

Fallout 3/FNV Pipboy Torch Activation Sound

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

TheKite Handmaiden despite the slightly creepy name and mixed reputation of the modder this is a nice stylized modular Noir looking outfit for female characters.

Male characters, too! No vanilla version for female characters since someone apparently asked for one in a rude manner and the modder responded by nixing all plans to make one and then yelling at anyone who asks.

Nick Valentine looks pretty sweet in it. I edited together a Dick Tracy version for my own use.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
What's up with peoples heads falling off when I headshot them? I've seen videos where they explode instead. Is this a Bloody Mess thing? Someones head coming off fully intact when I blast them witha shotgun seems a bit silly.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I always have a snort laugh when I weapon bash someone and their head falls off like a crash test dummy

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
I was a few dozen hours into a normal FO4 + Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth playthrough, but got bored after realizing 95% of my gathering was pointless. Set up a new mod profile based on Horizon to check out survival mode and make gathering and loot meaningful. Has anyone else mixed Horizon and Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth? I want to check out Horizon and Architect's changes to settlements, but I also love most of the RoTC cities. Can I change RoTC settings to only use residential and agricultural plots while using Architect industry, shops, caravans, and crafting stations for everything else? Can I upgrade RoTC cities as long as I have the pop/scrap/happiness requirements, or does it require the SS plots as well?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Preem Palver posted:

I was a few dozen hours into a normal FO4 + Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth playthrough, but got bored after realizing 95% of my gathering was pointless. Set up a new mod profile based on Horizon to check out survival mode and make gathering and loot meaningful. Has anyone else mixed Horizon and Sim Settlements/Rise of the Commonwealth? I want to check out Horizon and Architect's changes to settlements, but I also love most of the RoTC cities. Can I change RoTC settings to only use residential and agricultural plots while using Architect industry, shops, caravans, and crafting stations for everything else? Can I upgrade RoTC cities as long as I have the pop/scrap/happiness requirements, or does it require the SS plots as well?

I do this thing and it works okay. I don't think you can set RoTC cities to use shops etc. from a different mod but you can still assign those settlers to Horizon workstuff no problem. RoTC still need SS, full on.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

What's up with peoples heads falling off when I headshot them? I've seen videos where they explode instead. Is this a Bloody Mess thing? Someones head coming off fully intact when I blast them witha shotgun seems a bit silly.

Get the bow or crossbow mod so you can decapitate a guy and pin his intact head to the wall behind him with a bolt or arrow.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010
I had literally zero issues with the autoloot until someone here said they had issues.

Now it crashes every few minutes of play.
Yay.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I found a couple alternate start mods (Another Life, Start Me Up) and I'm not sure which is best. Another Life is older by over a year. Is there a consensus on any alternate start mods?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm using Start Me Up. It's pretty good, but I did just encounter a glitch where I got stuck in the elevator leaving Fort Hagen. However, google suggests that plenty of people have experienced that issue, so it might not be related at all.

It does a pretty good job of rehashing all the dialogue to support you not being the protagonist of the original story, though my hard-bitten wandering mercenary is weirdly emotional about this missing baby she heard a holotape of this one time.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'll give that one a shot. Are there any major problems with this modlist? LOOT says everything is fine in the sorting section. I'm not sure why the PhyOp DLC mod is highlighted in red. Maybe its trying to overwrite files that don't exist?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I found a couple alternate start mods (Another Life, Start Me Up) and I'm not sure which is best. Another Life is older by over a year. Is there a consensus on any alternate start mods?

I use Start Me Up, since the author's still working on it and it does a solid job. I've found a few edge cases, like Jack Cabot still having his line about you recently coming out of cryosleep, but overall it seems the most stable and well put together of them. Now and then Vault 111's doors bug out and I can't get in to find the holotape and start the main quest but nothing a little tcl in the console doesn't fix.

Also I chuckle whenever I get one of the more obviously stitched together lines, like telling Piper you're not a Vault Dweller.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'll give that one a shot. Are there any major problems with this modlist? LOOT says everything is fine in the sorting section. I'm not sure why the PhyOp DLC mod is highlighted in red. Maybe its trying to overwrite files that don't exist?

The PhyOp mod is highlighted in red b/c it is the mod overwriting data in another mod that you currently have selected.

The only glaring issue I see if you should make the Armorsmith 3.32 update have a higher priority than the 3.31 main mod - as it is, none of the data in that mod is getting loaded because it's completely overwritten by the unupdated mod.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Is there any kind of post-game overhaul mod for the Institute? Something that turns it into more of an Old World Blues 'The Sink' style location? I would love for the Institute flora, for example, to be growable, or to provide some benefits, as well as a fully housed workshop location, more and better vendors, etc.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

The PhyOp mod is highlighted in red b/c it is the mod overwriting data in another mod that you currently have selected.

The only glaring issue I see if you should make the Armorsmith 3.32 update have a higher priority than the 3.31 main mod - as it is, none of the data in that mod is getting loaded because it's completely overwritten by the unupdated mod.

It's in the proper load order, that list was better for getting a picture. Thanks for the info.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is there a combination of mods that turn the game into an actual survival game? The amount of items you find severally reduced, temperature/weather concerns, food and water that isn't just building a machine or assigning a worker and being free forever.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is there a combination of mods that turn the game into an actual survival game? The amount of items you find severally reduced, temperature/weather concerns, food and water that isn't just building a machine or assigning a worker and being free forever.

Ooh, d'you know I don't think anyone has done a temperature/weather mod!
I'm pretty sure there are a bunch which make food/healing items rarer, but IDK about ones which limit the production from settlements.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It's in the proper load order, that list was better for getting a picture. Thanks for the info.
I'm not talking about ESPs, I'm talking about the priority number in MO. That little silver lightning bolt means the entire contents of that mod are being overwritten by another mod, so if there's any updated meshes, textures, ESPs, etc in there they're not going to actually be loaded and are totally useless.

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm pretty sure there are a bunch which make food/healing items rarer, but IDK about ones which limit the production from settlements.

I think FROST Survival Simulator does this?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

dragonshardz posted:

I'm not talking about ESPs, I'm talking about the priority number in MO. That little silver lightning bolt means the entire contents of that mod are being overwritten by another mod, so if there's any updated meshes, textures, ESPs, etc in there they're not going to actually be loaded and are totally useless.

I think FROST Survival Simulator does this?

:argh: I wish the mod makers would either just put updates into the modfile, or at least name them properly so idiots like me install in the right order!

FROST is a lot different than I expected so I may just give that a shot. Are there any recommended mods to go with it besides the ones the author lists? I've also never used any ENB stuff and the webpage says not to use the Steam overlay and MSI Afterburner as they can cause problems which kinda sours me on the idea.

The_White_Crane posted:

I know there are weather mods so I can't tell if this is sarcasm :saddowns:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Horizon. It gets a little bit free in the late game and/or if you're actively trying to break it, but it's broadly balanced to make sure everything has an associated cost.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I know there are weather mods so I can't tell if this is sarcasm :saddowns:

There are weather mods, but as far as I know no temperature/exposure mods á la Skyrim's Frostfall, which I think is what The_White_Crane was getting at.

e: actually on reflection im not sure either but that's the way things are anyway

Terrorforge fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 12, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Horizon also looks cool. I'll have to check them both out and see how they play.

MO's ability to run different profiles is a godsend for stuff like this.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

They both have steep learning curves, so be prepared for that. With FROST you'll want some kind of save mod or you'll be tearing out every hair on your body. Sleep or Save is good for preserving some the Survival tension without having to take weird naps, but honestly you may want to get one of the dozen ones that just re-enable quicksave because FROST's "one strike and you're out" balancing can get very frustrating.

MO really is a godsend.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Even if I end up hating FROST, it lead me to this video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9QMQVERsk

And I'll count that as a success.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Even if I end up hating FROST, it lead me to this video series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9QMQVERsk

And I'll count that as a success.

Because the video is an hour long, can you give some highlights?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Post poste posted:

Because the video is an hour long, can you give some highlights?

I'm actually only halfway through the first video. The intro gives you a sense of how the world feels, and his voice is very soothing. He's calm, and explains things as he goes, instead of yelling when he sees something, or bumbling about demanding to know why things aren't working as he thinks they should.

It's refreshing so far, compared to lots of other LPs and I hope it keeps that up.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Terrorforge posted:

There are weather mods, but as far as I know no temperature/exposure mods á la Skyrim's Frostfall, which I think is what The_White_Crane was getting at.

Yes, that was it. Apparently FROST will have temperature mechanics, but doesn't currently.
e: Yeah, upon seeing myself quoted I can see how you'd think that was sarc, but I was actually just thinking "ooh, that would be neat and I'm surprised there isn't one yet".

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Preem Palver posted:

ROTC city plans require a total number of combined Sim Settlements plot levels to upgrade, in addition to scrap and time passing. At higher levels you may not be able to swap out non-ag plots with Horizon jobs and still have enough.

I don't think most of the city plans are actually going to leave you space for an Architect building, though. Sanctuary is kind of unique in that regard.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Try Horizon on Outcast difficulty in Desolation mode. Food and water become insanely more difficult; you can't purify water yourself, you need to build water purifiers, and they don't just work "free forever"; you need to constantly keep them stocked with clean bottles and maintenance kits. Dunno about temperature/weather survival mods but the more difficult Horizon modes will get you 80% of the way to where you want to be.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well today is the last day of the old school Nexus layout. God looking for mods is going to be even more annoying after this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

horse mans posted:

Try Horizon on Outcast difficulty in Desolation mode. Food and water become insanely more difficult; you can't purify water yourself, you need to build water purifiers, and they don't just work "free forever"; you need to constantly keep them stocked with clean bottles and maintenance kits. Dunno about temperature/weather survival mods but the more difficult Horizon modes will get you 80% of the way to where you want to be.

Is the water crafting actually useful? I keep seeing it mentioned as a major drawback of Desolation but I always thought of it as purely an RP thing, because that recipe just seems like a waste of filters anyway.