Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

dexter6 posted:

:words:

I would have rather had the setup wizard tell me to install Apple Music if it was required, or make it not required. But just taking me a blank white screen was not ideal.

Got it. Ya that dumb white screen is definitely not a good way to deal with the error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Some reddit people put the homepod through the paces. Pretty interesting review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Agronox posted:

Some reddit people put the homepod through the paces. Pretty interesting review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7wwtqy/apple_homepod_the_audiophile_perspective/

Wish i could put you through your paces

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

Wish i could put you through your paces

I would pass with flying colors, much like Apple's wonderful new device

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Agronox posted:

Not too surprising to me for some reason. I ordered one initially and have ordered two more for a whole home setup.

While it can’t match my Naim Muso for full range it’s 95% there so IDGAF.

Anyone who buys it as an Alexa/GoogHome competitor will be sad. If you treat it like a nice speaker though you’ll be pleased.

That said - the voice recognition is better than Alexa for my wife. She has a notoriously hard voice for voice recognition - I think because she speaks kind of sing-song.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

The iFixit folks took a crack at opening up the HomePod..

Hey wait put the knife down, fellas..

Nice braided / woven power cable there.. be a shame if someone CUT IT for some dopey reason.. (They didn't but geez..)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 12, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Dick Nipples posted:

Not too surprising to me for some reason. I ordered one initially and have ordered two more for a whole home setup.

While it can’t match my Naim Muso for full range it’s 95% there so IDGAF.

Anyone who buys it as an Alexa/GoogHome competitor will be sad. If you treat it like a nice speaker though you’ll be pleased.

That said - the voice recognition is better than Alexa for my wife. She has a notoriously hard voice for voice recognition - I think because she speaks kind of sing-song.

Alexa can't understand worth poo poo compared to HomePod. We put her in the bedroom and its like night and day.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

Dick Nipples posted:

Got it. Ya that dumb white screen is definitely not a good way to deal with the error.
I emailed Tim Cook and got a phone call today that they’ve trained their tech support and updated their support documents and will be fixing in a future release. They thanked me for doing their QA and offered me a job as Director of QA.

All of that happened except the last part.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HomePod++Teardown/103133

The iFixit folks took a crack at opening up the HomePod..

Hey wait put the knife down, fellas..

Nice braided / woven power cable there.. be a shame if someone CUT IT for some dopey reason.. (They didn't but geez..)

My favorite thing about the teardown is when the firmware came out Apple geeks were obsessing about the 272 x 340 display that it secretly had and speculating about all the cool one more thing uses it could have. Nope, just 16 LEDs to make the Siri blob.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got my HomePod set up and drat it does sound really good.

It’s a lot heavier then I thought it would be though Jesus.

Also I kinda wish the phone displayed what song was playing but that’s a minor gripe I guess. So far I’m really happy with it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Finally got my HomePod set up and drat it does sound really good.

It’s a lot heavier then I thought it would be though Jesus.

Also I kinda wish the phone displayed what song was playing but that’s a minor gripe I guess. So far I’m really happy with it.
Since I had the same gripe, and got a helpful answer:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not exactly a perfect solution but you can go to control center on the iPhone and force touch music controls to see other devices, one of which should be the HomePod.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can also tap the arcs in the upper right corner of the music control instead of force touching it, if you prefer.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Since I had the same gripe, and got a helpful answer:

Oh hmm I’ll have to check that out when I get back home. So far though just with the first hour I’m very happy with my purchase

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004
Is there a painless way of transferring music that’s playing on one HomePod to another one when you switch rooms?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

G5ANDY posted:

Is there a painless way of transferring music that’s playing on one HomePod to another one when you switch rooms?

That’s what multi-room support should do whenever it’s released. Someday. This year, hopefully.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That’s what multi-room support should do whenever it’s released. Someday. This year, hopefully.
Should as in “in a fair and good world”, yeah. Should as in “reasonable to expect”, I would doubt it. Multi room will just be being able to start/stop playback on multiple HomePods, I'd bet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Should as in “in a fair and good world”, yeah. Should as in “reasonable to expect”, I would doubt it. Multi room will just be being able to start/stop playback on multiple HomePods, I'd bet.

I mean, you can play the same song in multiple rooms or different songs in different rooms. At worst, you would be able to start the one you're moving to, then stop the one you left.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looking at this hands on from the beta, it should be able to switch locations seamlessly or start at one then you can switch to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5aK45slcYY

Now the question is wether you’ll be able to use Siri to choose rooms.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Three Olives posted:

My favorite thing about the teardown is when the firmware came out Apple geeks were obsessing about the 272 x 340 display that it secretly had and speculating about all the cool one more thing uses it could have. Nope, just 16 LEDs to make the Siri blob.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m assuming Andy is thinking of something like “Siri switch music to the kitchen”. I don’t think that’ll happen, but I’m just guessing.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe I’m confusing the issue as well but are they gonna let us have all the HomePods in the house play the same thing?

It would be nice to have one upstairs and downstairs.

Unless it already does that and I am missing something.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Maybe I’m confusing the issue as well but are they gonna let us have all the HomePods in the house play the same thing?

Yes, AirPlay 2 will enable this.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

I think it doesn't do that yet. I think right now you can have (HomePod) and (HomePod 1) ect. then select them individually.

G5ANDY
Sep 19, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m assuming Andy is thinking of something like “Siri switch music to the kitchen”. I don’t think that’ll happen, but I’m just guessing.

This is exactly what I meant. The issue is that the other home pod has no way of knowing what I was playing so I just wind up issuing the original command, play album x by artist y.

Edit: to expand on this. Looking in the home app the home pod that's not being used 'pauses' and is really flaky unless I tell it to play.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone try handing off a call to make this the the most expensive speakerphone ever?

As easy as switching to headphones on the phone..

If you have another call incoming all you have to do is tap the top of the Pod to switch to that..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 14, 2018

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone try handing off a call to make this the the most expensive speakerphone ever?

If you have another call incoming all you have to do is tap the top of the Pod to switch to that..
I've seen a few posts here and there with people thinking about it to replace their speakerphone stuff at work v:shobon:v

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Haha I literally just did this. The sound quality is great and the person on the other end could hear me very well no matter where I was in the room.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
Sorry the Apple HomePod is incompatible with your table.

Wirecutter posted:

An unhappy discovery after we placed a HomePod on an oiled butcher-block countertop and later on a wooden side table was that it left a defined white ring in the surface. Other reviewers and owners (such as Pocket-lint, and folks on Twitter) have reported the same issue, which an Apple representative has confirmed. Apple says “the marks can improve over several days after the speaker is removed from the wood surface,” and if they don’t fade on their own, you can basically just go refinish the furniture—the exact advice Apple gave in an email to Wirecutter was to “try cleaning the surface with the manufacturer’s suggested oiling method.”

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Someone's furiously making a kickstarter video for a rubber coaster right this second.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh man it’s free bumpers* for everyone again.

*coasters

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Homepod Socks

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
What was the old audiophile-mock thread that had those snake-oil mats to put your thousand dollar speakers on to reduce vibration or some-such.

Get one of those for your HomePod.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Thwomp posted:

What was the old audiophile-mock thread that had those snake-oil mats to put your thousand dollar speakers on to reduce vibration or some-such.

Get one of those for your HomePod.

Isolation pads cost like 40 bucks, not exactly $5000 ethernet cable territory.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I have adorned my HomePod with rare crystals allowing even better sound quality

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The HomePod sound quality is good but I am continually amused by the people who really think you need $1,000 speakers to beat the sound quality due to that shill reddit article. That is some fantasy land poo poo right there.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Agronox posted:

That is nothing surprising, unless you are audiophool true believer who thinks Apple can't make good audio products when they are child's play engineering compared to their custom ARM SoCs.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
It's a good audio product.

It's nowhere near as good as a decent pair of floorstanders, due to things like physics that can't be overcome with engineering. That's why the review is garbage (besides the other flaws with his methodology, that to his credit, he directly admits to in his article).

Also did you just use the word "audiophool"?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still like mine a lot. It’s nice to have in the kitchen / living room.

Siri can actually understand me when I slur my words which is pretty nice too.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Homepod sounds super impressive for its size... it makes me want Apple to build an enormous one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I just want my Ps4 to be compatible with it.