Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

If you kill the wrong brother, can you restart the mission?

Ikasuhito posted:

When I put him into a choke hold I immediately failed and wasn't able to repeat it. So i'm guessing no.

Nope, mission failed & a big red X on your home screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

shut up blegum posted:

If you kill the wrong brother, can you restart the mission?

The worst you can do to him is make him queasy — anything that actually gets rid of him or makes any part of him that's not the feet touch the ground counts as “harm” (including going to sleep in various ways) and insta-fails. This includes the sleepy poison.

This is how I failed it the first time it came around, since it wasn't clarified what qualifies as “harm” until after the ET period was over and people complained on the forums that what usually qualifies as pacifist tactics suddenly didn't count here.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
No matter the effort required, someone will always manage to pull off the truly esoteric kills.

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, I know someone near the Paris private auction room mentions him.
Tren Po (a prince of what is implied to possibly be Thailand) calls him to commission a song, which may explain why Jordan's crew is in east Asia later.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nakar posted:

Tren Po (a prince of what is implied to possibly be Thailand) calls him to commission a song, which may explain why Jordan's crew is in east Asia later.

Tren Po is the son of Jin Po, some sort of Kim Jung Il/Dr Doom equivalent, a political leader whose followers worship him as a god. The researchers working on the Ether virus speculate that Po Senior is one of the few potential targets that would justify the creation and use the virus, but that Tren would just inherit his position.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Other fun bits: The actor Julian Wakefield is mentioned a number of times in the game. He's an NPC in Paris (he walks from the Red Carpet area into the main hall and stands under the chandelier area in the crowd, eventually moving to the bar), Dalia mentions his ties to the Church of the Ascendants (as yet unexplored in the game), and he's later tapped to replace Dino Bosco as The Icon when Bosco dies during the shooting of the film. You can get this info from the band crew in the birthday party room in Bangkok, who also discuss questions like whether Viktor Novikov or Claus Strandberg had the better celebrity death (implying that they probably died onstage/in the interview respectively) and who is more talented between Jordan and his guitarist Heidi Santoro (it's universally agreed that Heidi is better). We also know Sebastian Sato survives Paris as he's said to take over the Sanguine label after Novikov dies and returns to his trendsetting and experimental ways (I think that comes up in Sapienza).

Discendo Vox posted:

Tren Po is the son of some sort of Kim Jung Il equivalent, a leader whose followers worship him as a god. The researchers working on the Ether virus speculate that Po Senior is one of the few potential targets that would justify the creation and use the virus, irrc.
He's an actual prince, as Dalia addresses him as such. Thailand has strict laws against criticizing its monarchy (which probably extends to heaping lavish praise, though Po's "he is the sun and the moon" seems to be at least somewhat sarcastic), and Po is talking with Jordan Cross about his coronation, which closely mirrors the actual situation in the Thai monarchy whose king died in 2016 when this game came out. I'd say it's meant to be a thinly-veiled reference to Thailand, and considering Jordan Cross is a target on a level set in Bangkok, I doubt that was a coincidence.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 11, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

An actor playing Thomas Cross is on the boat in the tutorial mission, I know that much.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dabir posted:

An actor playing Thomas Cross is on the boat in the tutorial mission, I know that much.
As is one playing Isabella Caruso.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I set a fire extinguisher by the fountain since it seems like the target takes the long way around the bench there which perfectly isolates. I took a sniping position at Rocco's house. I think it would have worked out but because I was shooting at a stationary object I ignored the fact that the target was moving forward so he walked into the bullet meant for the extinguisher. No SA but it was an easy success.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is really amazing, the margin for error is huge.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Antares posted:

lol I tried this and failed instantly because the wrong brother investigated it

Ugh same.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Does Dylan's AI just break when he's that far off the beaten path? I'm not sure why he stayed there while his bodyguard left.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Does Dylan's AI just break when he's that far off the beaten path? I'm not sure why he stayed there while his bodyguard left.
I noticed that if you lure and then shoot him non-fatally he will just stand in place for a very long time. The two bodyguards would usually just continuously walk from one brother to the other. Maybe it's the same thing in the video and it's just triggered by luring him anywhere.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
Third time in a row I've failed. Propane canister again. Placed a leaking one on the table they sit at and waited. At this point, I've been playing for awhile and getting impatient so I didn't let the brother to step far enough away from the table before shooting the canister.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this one is my favourite, biolab is a narrow second

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29KgRqSifAo

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's loving amazing. Those must be the worst bodyguards in the world.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
I always thought that if you got a melee animation from the front you were instantly spotted by the person you were hitting. Does the poison somehow prevent that from happening?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

where the red fern gropes posted:

this one is my favourite, biolab is a narrow second

Didn't use the Corky bat, 2/10 :colbert:

EDIT: I just did the ET and failed spectacularly. How are you supposed to tell which guy is which? I know they said something about a wristwatch, but I didn't see anything. I kept waiting till one of them checked the time, but nothing happened. I blew them all up :v:

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 12, 2018

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Watch the wrists, one of them wil have a highly reflective silver wristwatch catching the sunlight. It's only visible when he moves his hands, like when he's walking or having a coffee at the cafe.

Look here at 00:42 at his left wrist as soon as the interface screen fades.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 12, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also if you follow them around and listen to them, the douchey one is your target.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Watch the wrists, one of them wil have a highly reflective silver wristwatch catching the sunlight. It's only visible when he moves his hands, like when he's walking or having a coffee at the cafe.

Look here at 00:42 at his left wrist as soon as the interface screen fades.

Wow, that's really subtle. Don't think I'd noticed that if you hadn't pointed it out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It was nice that I was able to freely follow them around to try and spot an opening, since you get to hear the dialogue and it becomes pretty drat obvious who hired you. One of the disappointing things about the ET is the one-and-done mechanic I feel discourages getting to see how they interact with the rest of the map/NPCs.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

It was nice that I was able to freely follow them around to try and spot an opening, since you get to hear the dialogue and it becomes pretty drat obvious who hired you. One of the disappointing things about the ET is the one-and-done mechanic I feel discourages getting to see how they interact with the rest of the map/NPCs.

I agree that they should keep your original score/result (got to keep up the tension) but let you replay them afterwards.

I think the likely reason they don't do it is that the ET are a clever way to maintain interest in their product. Kind of like how F2P mobile games give you daily stuff or busywork to do regularly (see: Hearthstone quests) so you log in regularly and schedule your play sessions around this. Hell there's even a smartphone app that tells you when a new ET is up. If they let you play all of them anytime you want then they just become elaborate contracts and it doesn't play on your innate fear of missing out.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
I've always thought that they should remove the ability to restart because that makes ETs too easy. I want more risk and more weight placed on that tension.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 13, 2018

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zigmidge posted:

I've always thought that they should remove the ability to restart because that makes ETs too easy. I want more risk and more weight placed on that tension.

there should be exactly one restart: to professional difficulty

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hadn't seen this posted yet:

https://twitter.com/Hitman/status/961966666337869825

Reactivated ETs skip The Wild Card and go right to The Broker. No Gary Busey :(

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Hobo Clown posted:

What does The Wild Card mean in this context?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Hey what the gently caress. Missing the wild card the first time around was my one loving regret for not picking this up early and now they're skipping it? WHYYY

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Sininu posted:

One of the ETs the first time around was called 'The Wild Card', where the target was literally actor Gary Busey, using his likeness and voice and everything.

Mondian posted:

Hey what the gently caress. Missing the wild card the first time around was my one loving regret for not picking this up early and now they're skipping it? WHYYY

Same. It was the only ET video I went back and watched and was one of the main things I was looking forward to this go-round.

"You'll never catch me! I have the power of invisibility!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

well on the bright side maybe now i dont have to obsess over getting the et challenges 100%

(i still will)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Holy poo poo Gary Cole is in that ET as well?

Maybe... maybe they just don't want to do two Sapienzas in a row and he'll be back later? :shobon:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah they did this whole thing on picking which Gary would be the target and Busey "won"

It was great and its a tragedy they're not rerunning it. I thought for sure I could figure out if he was a cyborg or not

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Did they say they aren't rerunning them?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It could be some issue of likeness rights that didn't extend to 2018 or was only through Square or something. Still sucks though.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Funky Valentine posted:

Also if you follow them around and listen to them, the douchey one is your target.

They also directly refer to each other by name from time to time.

Sininu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L34cOlhqOEI

I'm sad I won't be able to play this one myself. :(

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

im watching day of the jackal rn and i want a tan suit

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
New (non-curated) Featured Contracts are out. IOI called my bluff and featured No Way Out. That's fun.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

uh why does my game have the broker as an ET fot 17 hours? i thought it was the twins

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

StashAugustine posted:

uh why does my game have the broker as an ET fot 17 hours? i thought it was the twins

mine just says "The Broker - failed".

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Seems like a mistake on IOI's part. Play The Broker a week early everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Random Fun Fact: The creator of one of the new FCs, Chef Knows, is an adorable British grandma who has been gaming longer than a number of other FC creators in this pack have been alive. It's a pretty good contract, seemingly easy with one complicated target and a number of problems you'll run into if you wait too long. Here's an Accidents Only run where each accident has to be unique.