Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Proteus Jones posted:

YouTube TV - no tvOS app.
Actually their tvOS app dropped back on the first. I would have tested it out but they don’t have Cartoon Network or Food Network, which are two must haves for the family (and I didn’t want to waste the free trial just to see what the app was like).

Proteus Jones posted:

Channels - hands down the BEST interface for HD Home Run devices. Have not evaluated DVR service because of PLEX (if you don’t have PLEXPass it may be worth it)

Channels DVR is great, but a little rough around the edges. You can do some management through the tvOS app, but for more specific things (such as specifying that a show only be recorded off a specific channel) you have the use their web interface, which is lacking polish (which is surprising considering how great their iOS/tvOS apps look and work). If you want to watch recordings on a PC/Mac/Android phone you have to do it though said interface, which is a little clumsy (the video doesn’t even scale to the browser window width, I had to use Stylish to edit the CSS). That said, it is the best DVR I’ve used in terms of functionality and flexibility, and includes handy features like commercial detection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

There is one now.

Thanks, I’ll take a look and see if it’s worth testing for me.

lelandjs posted:

Channels DVR is great, but a little rough around the edges. You can do some management through the tvOS app, but for more specific things (such as specifying that a show only be recorded off a specific channel) you have the use their web interface, which is lacking polish (which is surprising considering how great their iOS/tvOS apps look and work). If you want to watch recordings on a PC/Mac/Android phone you have to do it though said interface, which is a little clumsy (the video doesn’t even scale to the browser window width, I had to use Stylish to edit the CSS). That said, it is the best DVR I’ve used in terms of functionality and flexibility, and includes handy features like commercial detection.

I’m used to having to use a web interface with PLEX it manage recording schedules and the library. I also like the “record only NEW broadcasts” setting on PLEX so it skips any re-runs.

However, the commercial detection sounds like a great feature. I may just give it a test run and do a shoot-out between the two. The only thing is some shows I’d probably want to keep in perpetuity and I’d love to be able to move them into PLEX. So if Channels is “only playback through us” that may be a deal breaker. I’ll look into it, thanks.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 11, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’ve also got Channels DVR and can report only good things. Will second that their web portal is clunky but functional. But through their iOS/tvOS (and now FireTV and GoogleTV) apps, it’s ease of use and functionality rivals that of any TiVo or cable company sourced solutions.

If for whatever reason, I went back and wanted to get cable, I’d pony up for the HDHomeRun that works with a cablecard to keep using Channels. It’s that good.

I did try once to grab a recording from my NAS but I never got it to work. This was right as the DVR service launched so maybe it was early going. I may try again now that it’s matured.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, DTVN is $40 including HBO and has the channels I want. Last I checked, Sling would be like $60 since I'd want both the orange and blue packages, and I think PS Vue would be similar. Admittedly, it's been awhile. I don't think YouTube TV or Hulu TV even offered some of the ones I wanted, so those were out. (And YouTube TV didn't have an app until like a week ago.)

But yeah, Channels is really nice. I have PlexPass but haven't really played with the live TV much. It seems a lot clunkier than Channels.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Oh and while I haven’t messed with the Plex DVR since it launched as well, I remember needing to transcode recordings before playing them. And I couldn’t join a program that was already being recorded.

I don’t know what special sauces the Channels people cooked up to share that load but it works even on low power NAS hardware. And it lets you watch a program from the start while it’s being recorded.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Good god the YouTube app reactions are not overstated. What a piece of loving garbage. I don’t get how people fawn over Google’s “material design” stuff when they go and pull this kind of stunt.

No more 10 second skip, can’t scrub the same, the cursor positioning/navigation behavior is just different enough from every single other app on the device to be utterly infuriating and error-prone to navigate.

Being able to queue up things from any other YouTube watching device on the network is really nice but it’s so not worth the trash-fire that is the UI.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Not to defend the changes, but can't you just tell Siri to skip ahead 10 seconds?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Not to defend the changes, but can't you just tell Siri to skip ahead 10 seconds?

Yes you can, but sometimes you just wanna press a button you know?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

That's nowhere near the same. With a simple button push I used to be able to skip back 10 seconds, and if it wasn't back to the moment I wanted, click it again to skip back another 10 seconds. I could probably do that three times in the amount of time it would take to hold down the siri button, say it, and wait for it to register what I said, and then to actually do it.

And the new interface is set up so that if I try to skip ahead in the video using the old method, it skips to the next video. Which is just awesome, well done Google.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I think the only time I've ever used Siri on the ATV was because I keep loving accidentally pressing the button.

"Play blade runner"
*opens up iTunes and offers to sell it to me for $24.99*
"gently caress you Siri"

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Hey Siri works pretty well when you're not sure what service carries specific movies for free, rental, or purchase. During Christmas I used it to watch stuff like National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Freeform app) and it worked well.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I think the only time I've ever used Siri on the ATV was because I keep loving accidentally pressing the button.

"Play blade runner"
*opens up iTunes and offers to sell it to me for $24.99*
"gently caress you Siri"

You can disable siri, you know

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I still think an always on Hey Siri for the AppleTV is a no-brainer. Why they haven’t yet added it is beyond me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Is it paranoid to just presume they intentionally shat out an “updated ui” for the appletv? Are other boxes getting the same poo poo interface?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Thwomp posted:

I still think an always on Hey Siri for the AppleTV is a no-brainer. Why they haven’t yet added it is beyond me.

Because they want you to buy a HomePod

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Is it paranoid to just presume they intentionally shat out an “updated ui” for the appletv? Are other boxes getting the same poo poo interface?

The new AppleTV YouTube is the same as the one on the PS4 and Fire TV. Not sure about the Roku or Xbone. I think the Wii U may have used it as well, I can't recall.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Because they want you to buy a HomePod
They don't really have much overlap in usage, though.

I use Siri on my Apple TV all the time. As noted, it makes it easy to find things that might be on multiple services. I, too, looked for Christmas Vacation! (Though I ended up buying it since there was a package with Vacation, European Vacation, and Vegas Vacation.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lelandjs posted:

The new AppleTV YouTube is the same as the one on the PS4 and Fire TV. Not sure about the Roku or Xbone. I think the Wii U may have used it as well, I can't recall.

Yeah, they're aiming for a unified common interface thing.

It's absolutely rear end.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Why this interface is so much worse on the AppleTV than other platforms is because, while the old YouTube app was pretty barebones and lacked a TON of features, it at least had the performance polish of most other ATV apps. For instance the smooth scrubbing, the 10 sec click, etc. These are good features of the AppleTV, and the new app ditched them in the name of brand consistency.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, they're aiming for a unified common interface thing.

It's absolutely rear end.

lol isn't that what heavily damaged the already tarnished windows phone reputation and just the whole mess surrounding a no desktop windows with windows 8 or whatever the gently caress, did everyone forget that mess?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I actually liked the look of Windows Phone. The live tiles were cool.

However the problems with the Windows Metro look stemmed not from a unified look but from forcing mobile/tablet usage models into the desktop.

That and you can’t come into a new market with a new os and not bring something substantially more attractive than the two dominant solutions. And you can’t make version 1 of your os obsolete with version 2. And.......that’s Microsoft!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't have a problem with the app in theory, if it just had the skip function on the remote.

It's nice to be able to queue up a bunch of videos on my phone, and I can still double tap on the screen to move forward 10 seconds, but the remote experience is much worse. The fact that you can't bring up the left side menu without moving whatever your currently selected carousel back to the left is the absolute pits.

That said, I agree with Google in theory that app design should be consistent across multiple operating systems. They need to give YouTube a slight refresh in general, just like they did the site.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol isn't that what heavily damaged the already tarnished windows phone reputation and just the whole mess surrounding a no desktop windows with windows 8 or whatever the gently caress, did everyone forget that mess?
No, people liked the Windows Phone interface as it was fast (Window Phone 7 and 8 were about as fast as iOS on contemporary hardware and much faster than Android on similar hardware), attractive, and offered a lot of information at a glance. What tarnished it was launching three versions in five years and not letting people update their hardware to the new software. Also having no apps, which was something of a chicken and egg problem, but, again launching new, incompatible software made it difficult for developers.

Windows RT was the no desktop thing (except when it had one), but that only ran on certain devices no one actually bought. Windows 8 annoyed people since they decided everything should be a tablet, but they rolled it back a lot in 8.1 and almost entirely with 10.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

No, people liked the Windows Phone interface as it was fast (Window Phone 7 and 8 were about as fast as iOS on contemporary hardware and much faster than Android on similar hardware), attractive, and offered a lot of information at a glance. What tarnished it was launching three versions in five years and not letting people update their hardware to the new software. Also having no apps, which was something of a chicken and egg problem, but, again launching new, incompatible software made it difficult for developers.

Windows RT was the no desktop thing (except when it had one), but that only ran on certain devices no one actually bought. Windows 8 annoyed people since they decided everything should be a tablet, but they rolled it back a lot in 8.1 and almost entirely with 10.

Yes, Windows had some nice fast phones with good interfaces and the best cameras on the market, but it sucked having a Windows 7 phone and seeing Microsoft hyping the completely incompatible Windows 8. At that point they were a distant 3rd and just kept getting more distant. Microsoft didn't do itself any favors by making their own apps better on iOS and Google than they were on Windows Phone.

Why didn't Microsoft just pay some of these app makers to create a Windows phone version? Like offer to pay for the development. They burnt money everywhere else. A Windows version of Instagram may have at least helped stop the market share bleeding.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

What type of HDMI cable to I need to make sure the ATV 4K works? I have a few cables so I'm guessing one will work, but just in case I need to get one, what's the minimum spec required?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

What type of HDMI cable to I need to make sure the ATV 4K works? I have a few cables so I'm guessing one will work, but just in case I need to get one, what's the minimum spec required?

A HDMI 2.0 spec would be best as most 4k devices require a high-speed cable and it will future proof you for a while

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

"Certified premium" are the words you're looking for.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

For a specific suggestion, I use an AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable and it works with 4:4:4 pulldown, so that seems to be good enough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

For a specific suggestion, I use an AmazonBasics High-Speed HDMI cable and it works with 4:4:4 pulldown, so that seems to be good enough.

Yeah I ordered a 3 pack off Amazon earlier. Thanks!

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Between Netflix auto playing trailers, Hulu's giant UI, Amazon Prime's sluggish setup, and whatever the new YouTube app is...

...maybe the Apple TV 3 way of doing things was right after all. Or at least just throwing EVERYTHING into the TV app is better. (C'Mon, Netflix!)

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The streaming providers unifying their interfaces across all platforms is the new normal, might as well get used to it.

Netflix was one of the first... Their interface has been the same/similar across the majority of their many platforms for some time now. Well, at least on platforms where they can customize it.

But to add to the bitching.. Netflix auto playing everything is horrible. Especially on older Roku devices (OG stick/2/3) where it causes it to kinda lockup for a second as it struggles to play the video in the background.

Edit: more bitching.. I dusted off the old Roku 3 and discovered YouTube updated the interface for Roku devices again! It is no longer the HTML5 app. I actually like it. Subscriptions are in a full screen grid now. And your list of subscribed channels is in a A-Z list. No more dinner plate sized subscription list, and it uses the entire screen to show video thumbnails.... And the thumbnails are animated previews.
I hope they bring this interface to the other platforms.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 13, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, I didn't mind the Netflix redesign. The fact that it adheres to most of the AppleTVs strengths (you can still swipe quickly through a horizontal list, the side-click skip forward and back still works, scrubbing is untouched) leaves me with minor aesthetic quibbles.

Amazon Prime Video is such a clunky mess. It's functional but clunky (I was already prepared for it based on Roku users griping so maybe I'm less harsh than I should be). My major gripe is its really tricky to find what's available to stream for free and what requires a purchase. It shouldn't be this hard.

The new YouTube app is hot garbage. Worse than Prime. It's infuriating that they actively made their player worse and removed functionality that played to the hardware's strengths. Scrolling around is sluggish and it's the first app I've had for the AppleTV that I feel inaccurate with using the AppleTV remote. The sensitivity is off for whatever reason. I've also noticed poorer quality playback in the new version. I would hope for updates to fix responsiveness/functionality but the app hardly ever got updates to begin with so we're probably stuck with this version for a year or more.

I've never tried Hulu since getting a 4th gen AppleTV but i'll take everyone's word on its current interface being annoying and confusing.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Thwomp posted:

Amazon Prime Video is such a clunky mess. It's functional but clunky (I was already prepared for it based on Roku users griping so maybe I'm less harsh than I should be). My major gripe is its really tricky to find what's available to stream for free and what requires a purchase. It shouldn't be this hard.

Amazon's interface has always been this way. Even when they where using the standard Roku interface elements. It was not possible to tell what was free to stream until you actually attempted to play it.

I've used it on just about every platform they offer it on, its clunky and laggy on even their own Fire hardware.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, I didn't mind the Netflix redesign. The fact that it adheres to most of the AppleTVs strengths (you can still swipe quickly through a horizontal list, the side-click skip forward and back still works, scrubbing is untouched) leaves me with minor aesthetic quibbles.

The new YouTube app is hot garbage. Worse than Prime. It's infuriating that they actively made their player worse and removed functionality that played to the hardware's strengths. Scrolling around is sluggish and it's the first app I've had for the AppleTV that I feel inaccurate with using the AppleTV remote. The sensitivity is off for whatever reason. I've also noticed poorer quality playback in the new version. I would hope for updates to fix responsiveness/functionality but the app hardly ever got updates to begin with so we're probably stuck with this version for a year or more.

I've never tried Hulu since getting a 4th gen AppleTV but i'll take everyone's word on its current interface being annoying and confusing.

The NBC Sports app is terrible as well. I specifically downloaded it since it will let me watch any event live or in replay in its entirety. That way I don’t have suffer through the official NBC broadcasts.

However, the interface is absolute trash. Swiping is overly sensitive. Button presses take a good solid 1 or 2 seconds to register. Scrubbing is mostly “um... no I won’t do it”. The worst is during event replay (which is what I mostly use because of the time difference) an overlay will pop up telling me I can jump to specific competitors for the event I’m watching. While that is cool and all, it keeps loving popping up every 5 mins or so.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Youtube's interface has infuriated me so much since ATV3 that I airplay videos from my Mac to the ATV instead.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Why didn't Microsoft just pay some of these app makers to create a Windows phone version? Like offer to pay for the development. They burnt money everywhere else. A Windows version of Instagram may have at least helped stop the market share bleeding.

I know this is tv talk.

That’s the thing. They did pay folks and they also provided MSFT devs to build first party “hero apps” for things like Netflix and Hulu.

Back to tv talk - anyone have issues with the tvOS Hulu app not tracking episodes correctly? Wife and I have been having to track one specific show manually because that show won’t track its progress. Other shows seem fine.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Dick Nipples posted:

I know this is tv talk.

That’s the thing. They did pay folks and they also provided MSFT devs to build first party “hero apps” for things like Netflix and Hulu.

Back to tv talk - anyone have issues with the tvOS Hulu app not tracking episodes correctly? Wife and I have been having to track one specific show manually because that show won’t track its progress. Other shows seem fine.

What show in particular? No issues so far here.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

OGB posted:

What show in particular? No issues so far here.

“Happy Endings” - it’s weird. Every other show is fine but Hulu just seems mad we’re watching this one dumb sitcom.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That show was aired very much out of order, could be related to your issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
I don't know what I'm more irrationally angry at: The YouTube app re-design being so bad I just deleted it and will AirPlay YouTube videos from now on, or myself for not shutting off auto-updates on my Apple TV after Hulu updated their UI.