Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
http://twitter.com/broadsthockey/status/962897819513352192
http://twitter.com/bybenharris/status/962537280442392577

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Flyers best team

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DJExile posted:

E: I see how Vegas has had the year they have though. Good lord do they forecheck a ton

Are you saying it's of the foremost importance to them?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Are you saying it's of the foremost importance to them?

:manning:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Man that's a huge forehead.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

grack posted:

Jesus christ, Dallas

edit:

Jesus poo poo-loving goddamn christ, Dallas

Hey, if they're going to score goals at this stage of this season, I'd rather they bunch them up into the odd blow-out win. Also, anything that enhances Gudbransons trade value.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
You mean more reason for Benning to lock him up.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Vegas games sound like a hoot

Charlie O'Connor posted:

It was no secret in the days leading up to Sunday's matchup that Flyers fans had invaded Las Vegas in droves. Orange (and green for the recently victorious Eagles) have been all over the Strip since Friday, and at the arena there were easily thousands of Philadelphia fans who came west to support their team and generally live it up for a few days. They were loud all game long and certainly made their presence felt.

Yet this wasn't a case of out-of-towners overwhelming the locals. The night was filled with dueling chants from both fanbases, and playful jabs at the Philadelphia faithful from the Vegas in-arena entertainment presentation. Even sitting up in the press box, it was clear that Vegas' modus operandi is simply to do its best to ensure that the paying customers have fun, from “The Fortress” at the east end of the arena to the pre-game ritual that involved a Flyers stand-in's attempt to place a flag on a fake mountain at center ice only to be defeated by an actual Golden Knight.

Surely the team's early success has helped, but credit the Vegas organization for playing to its strengths as a market. They know that in a city filled with high-end entertainment options, they can't be boring in their own. And they also realize that out-of-towners will be a huge portion of their ticket sales, and they seem to acknowledge that in their gameday efforts to ensure that visiting fans enjoy themselves as well. It's a highly recommended game atmosphere.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

It shows in ticket prices. After watching the game I checked stubhub to see what prices are, maybe a trip to Vegas next year right? Upper bowl tickets start at $100-110 for all the games I looked at, with the exception of the Arizona Coyotes ($88).

I would still consider it, but man those prices are higher than upper bowl in other cities I’ve been to games to recently (Philly, St. Louis, Nashville). Probably a combo of both Vegas pathing crazy good and like the article said, fans get an excuse to go to Vegas.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

It shows in ticket prices. After watching the game I checked stubhub to see what prices are, maybe a trip to Vegas next year right? Upper bowl tickets start at $100-110 for all the games I looked at, with the exception of the Arizona Coyotes ($88).

I would still consider it, but man those prices are higher than upper bowl in other cities I’ve been to games to recently (Philly, St. Louis, Nashville). Probably a combo of both Vegas pathing crazy good and like the article said, fans get an excuse to go to Vegas.

Yeah, I'm sure part of that is just that it's a hot ticket since it's the big new show in town, combined with the stunning success out of the gate. The prices will likely drop a bit next year, and I'm sure there's gonna be quite a difference in prices between weekend and weeknight games.

They're a really fun team to watch, too. It's basically nothing but 4 straight lines worth of 2nd/3rd liners who forecheck the gently caress out of the game and can wind up getting a bunch of good chances against opponents' lower lines. Marchessault is a hell of a player too.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I have no clue how you get "place a flag on a fake mountain" from the opening routine :psyduck:

edit: it's just pulling a sword out of a stone lol

Lessail fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 12, 2018

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Their first home preseason game against the Kings wasn't anything terribly outlandish, but was a really good time and also showed the promise for what might be to come. The crowd ate all of it up and game ops was feeling out what might work.. I'd love to go back to bandwagon the Knights.

I think one of the things I enjoy the most is, as others have said, they're a team of second and third liners not unlike the 2013 lockout year Columbus team, which was essentially a band of cast-offs who almost got in.

Unrelated, 7 of 8 Metro teams have held a playoff spot in the last 24 hours, with the 8th one point out. Philadelphia is somehow third now. :psyduck:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 12, 2018

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CBJSprague24 posted:

Their first home preseason game against the Kings wasn't anything terribly outlandish, but was a really good time and also showed the promise for what might be to come. The crowd ate all of it up and game ops was feeling out what might work.. I'd love to go back to bandwagon the Knights.

I think one of the things I enjoy the most is, as others have said, they're a team of second and third liners not unlike the 2013 lockout year Columbus team, which was essentially a band of cast-offs who almost got in.

Unrelated, 7 of 8 Metro teams have held a playoff spot in the last 24 hours, with the 8th one point out. Philadelphia is somehow third now. :psyduck:

Super Bowl Streak!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Super Bowl Streak!

Which flyer would give the most equivalent Kelce speech? I would have to guess Gudas.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/IneffectiveMath/status/963029490682261505

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Which flyer would give the most equivalent Kelce speech? I would have to guess Gudas.

Hextall.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I feel like the Flyers fans here were lamenting their garbage barrel lottery team like a week ago. What happened?

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
If Capitals keep playing dumbass man to man defense they will be lucky to make the playoffs. The Metro is tightening up. They look outmatched too often and they only have 11 home games left. I still feel like they’ll make some adjustments and improve but as of right now their coaches and scheme are their second biggest problem. Biggest issue is constant fumblepuck by Niskanen, Orpik and Bowey. People like to scapegoat Orpik - he deserves it to an extent but Niskanen has been the one making horrible turnovers the past few games.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I feel like the Flyers fans here were lamenting their garbage barrel lottery team like a week ago. What happened?

The overall play hasn't really been the problem. The top 2 lines are doing great on the whole. Most of the complaints have been on personnel decisions.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

The Eagles turned Philly into a town of winners.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/status/963082940686123008

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Detroit could easily finish with the 4th and yet they keep pulling points out of nowhere and will probably finish around the 7th or 8th instead. TANK, YOU NON-LOSING LOSERS.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Slappy Pappy posted:

If Capitals keep playing dumbass man to man defense they will be lucky to make the playoffs. The Metro is tightening up. They look outmatched too often and they only have 11 home games left. I still feel like they’ll make some adjustments and improve but as of right now their coaches and scheme are their second biggest problem. Biggest issue is constant fumblepuck by Niskanen, Orpik and Bowey. People like to scapegoat Orpik - he deserves it to an extent but Niskanen has been the one making horrible turnovers the past few games.

Not that I've watched a ton of Caps hockey this season, but in the few that I've caught here and there Niskanen seems to be starting to age a bit which might be a problem since there's still 3 years to go on that deal and it doesn't seem like the Caps are in a decent position to start mixing in younger guys to take a bigger role away from Orpik/Niskanen.

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
NYR/Hartford Wolfpack is gonna make the playoffs

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

DJExile posted:

I was walking with a couple of random flyers fans to the arena and they mentioned that the team had a vacation package you could buy through them. Wouldn’t surprise me if a bunch of teams did that.

Also this homestead is going to be hilarious for the away/home splits. Chicago, a California team, 3 Canadian teams playing here for the first time, and the Oilers who seem to own us. Canadian team fans travel really well, even the Winnipeg game was nuts.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

i am the bird posted:

Detroit could easily finish with the 4th and yet they keep pulling points out of nowhere and will probably finish around the 7th or 8th instead. TANK, YOU NON-LOSING LOSERS.

Let's not pretend for a minute that Ken Holland would do anything of actual use with a high first round pick though.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/963044152635154433

Alrighty.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Slappy Pappy posted:

Yeah I didn't get to watch the game, but watching the highlights and Niskanen was the one who hosed up on at least two of the goals.

On the other hand, as stupid as it was that they were down 4-1 to the Red Wings on home ice to begin with, I was impressed that they fought back to OT. And while this has been Nicky B's worst season on record, it was really nice to see him rip a GTG like he did.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

pizza valentine posted:

Also this homestead is going to be hilarious for the away/home splits. Chicago, a California team, 3 Canadian teams playing here for the first time, and the Oilers who seem to own us. Canadian team fans travel really well, even the Winnipeg game was nuts.

I have my tickets to the Oilers game in Vegas, so after making the trip I'm sure this will be the game we lose horrifically. I really don't understand how Vegas can be 13-1-1 vs the Pacific after only watching their loss and OTL.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

GuavaMoment posted:

I really don't understand how Vegas can be 13-1-1 vs the Pacific after only watching their loss and OTL.

You do know that the Pacific is the one with the Canucks, Coyotes and Oilers in it, right?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Miss you Justin

https://twitter.com/NHLCanes/status/962800469683863552

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ThinkTank posted:

You do know that the Pacific is the one with the Canucks, Coyotes and Oilers in it, right?

their two in-division losses are to the Oilers. No one else from the Pacific has beaten them yet. I guess that's one thing Edmonton can take pride in.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Slappy Pappy posted:

Have they always played this under Trotz and I just didn't pay attention? Seriously that's one of my/the criticisms of AV is that he runs this kind of man on man style defense that when it works it can work really well but is just hard to play and have everyone on the same page at the same time so it often breaks down with a bunch of guys looking around trying to figure out where they should go

It's freaking me out that all the criticism of the Caps coaching is basically word for word my criticism of AV's coaching :tinfoil:

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The price of Erik Karlsson? It's 3 Erik Karlssons.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Rangers can’t even fuckin tank right ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

It's 2 weeks until the NHL trade deadline and the 31 teams in the league have completed 20 trades involving players who have appeared in the NHL this season since the season began. Of those 20, only 10 have included players who appear in their NHL lineups regularly. Of those 10, only 3 involved players that play above the 4th line/bottom pairing/backup position.

They claimed that the lack of trades was due to the looming expansion draft last year. What's their excuse this year because this GM inertia sucks. The NHL seems to be the only league that totally fails to recognize the incredible free advertising the excitement around big trades brings. The Cavs going nuts at the deadline was front page news and probably resulted in several million additional viewers for their next couple games. Why doesn't the NHL actively encourage things like that?

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Feb 12, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

It's 2 weeks until the NHL trade deadline and the 31 teams in the league have completed 20 trades involving players who have appeared in the NHL this season since the season began. Of those 20, only 10 have included players who appear in their NHL lineups regularly. Of those 10, only 3 involved players that play above the 4th line/bottom pairing/backup position.

They claimed that the lack of trades was due to the looming expansion draft last year. What's their excuse this year because this GM inertia sucks. The NHL seems to be the only league that totally fails to recognize the incredible free advertising the excitement around big trades brings. The Cavs going nuts at the deadline was front page news and probably resulted in several million additional viewers for their next couple games. Why doesn't the NHL actively encourage things like that?

I can't speak for the NBA but how often do big trades in the NHL (mid season) lead to any kind of success in the playoffs? Probably more than a few GMs looking at what Washington paid for Shattenkirk last year and getting cold feet about paying that kind of price when it didn't pay off for the Caps.

Also prices sound kind of insane. A first, a top prospect, and a third piece for Brassard? I know he's got another year on his deal but jesus.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Because Honor and teams are too cowardly to full on tank (and the lottery has put a bit of a damper on it). The NHL cap is also more restrictive.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

ThinkTank posted:

This might have something to do with it https://www.foxsports.com/nba/gallery/nba-players-with-no-trade-clause-2016-080216

Also I don't know anything about the NBA but I wouldn't be surprised if the weird NHL playoff format + loser points keeps a lot more teams on the bubble later in the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

The Cavs got headlines because Lebron is also the GM and coach of the Cavs, and the NBA needs stories beyond "Golden State is going to destroy everyone again". Trades are big, yeah, but trades just for the sake of trades aren't really going to do much.

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/963117919184932864

So yeah flyers probably aren't doing much for the deadline

• Locked thread