Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I refuse to click any more URLs from this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

This thread is the best and definatly deserves to be attached to such a great game.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Welp started a new playthrough. Using a ton of mods, one of which is called thar be dragons.

Boy does that mod punch you in the rear end in a top hat everytime you hit a warpstorm.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

Welp started a new playthrough. Using a ton of mods, one of which is called thar be dragons.

Boy does that mod punch you in the rear end in a top hat everytime you hit a warpstorm.

You have made a mistake, using a mod by Xeno.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

MesoTroniK posted:

You have made a mistake, using a mod by Xeno.

What does the mod do?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Artificer posted:

What does the mod do?

Any time you hit an active warpstorm it spawns a random hostile fleet (or 3) with extreme ships. Or space dragons made of gently caress you and your tiny rear end starting fleet.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

grimcreaper posted:

Any time you hit an active warpstorm it spawns a random hostile fleet (or 3) with extreme ships. Or space dragons made of gently caress you and your tiny rear end starting fleet.

But why?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I had tried it a while back and enjoyed the massive battles at higher level. He supposedly scaled the spawns to your fleet size. And by supposedly i think he meant that he didnt touch poo poo and just wants you to know how much it sucks to forget to save frequently.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. xeno seems to be pne of those people that thinks tedious bullshit is "challange". gently caress his ai overhaul mod that just makes 90% of enemy ships sit at 2x your firing range away and only ever move in closer if you turn your back to them.

I just love chasing ships to the edges of the loving maps to kill them. Talk about a terrible overhaul.

MesoTroniK
May 20, 2014

grimcreaper posted:

So.. xeno seems to be pne of those people that thinks tedious bullshit is "challange". gently caress his ai overhaul mod that just makes 90% of enemy ships sit at 2x your firing range away and only ever move in closer if you turn your back to them.

I just love chasing ships to the edges of the loving maps to kill them. Talk about a terrible overhaul.

A tip, never use any mod made by him ever. Every single one breaks the game, and all mods.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MesoTroniK posted:

A tip, never use any mod made by him ever. Every single one breaks the game, and all mods.

Awesome thanks. Gonna go uninstall them now.

Thank you for the hardwork ypuve put into your mods. They are awesome!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Running away from a bigger, stronger enemy is a valid combat tactic that I would prefer my enemies not use because it is extremely tedious.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thankfully the developer isn't that dumb. Knows and follows the design school of thought of 'is this actually fun/relevant?' Realism's cool and all, but if it bogs down the experience or becomes tedious or aggravating, it's not worth it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

lollontee posted:

Running away from a bigger, stronger enemy is a valid combat tactic that I would prefer my enemies not use because it is extremely tedious.

It's okay if the enemy's fighting with limited resources, like the player.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

THE BAR posted:

It's okay if the enemy's fighting with limited resources, like the player.

That would be understandable.

Overall i really love starsector. I just keep hoping to see Exigency get up updated. I love the aesthetics of the ships and the missile weapons with unlimited ammo were awesome.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You know speaking of mods, I wish I could leave my fleet behind to scout ahead in a smaller ship. It's like the most annoying thing the game for me that I really have to fight my urge to buy shinier things so I can actually have a fleet with a signature radius smaller than goatmans sphincter

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Yeah the fleet size progression is something that it would be nice to be able to veer away from if you want. The new ways that detection works have helped a bit but more could be done. It would also be nice if there were some combat bonuses to keeping a fleet small so that it could be a viable option to engage in hit and run or delaying actions against massive fleets.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I know this is most likely impossible, but having the overworld still moving during combat wouldn't be too bad as a toggle in options. It makes reinforcements possible, as navies move in and mess with your ongoing fight, but this probably means an even harder early game.

I just like the aspect of reinforcements, good and bad. :shobon:

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 31, 2018

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

You would have to mess with the timescale of player fights because any combat you're involved in is instantaneous, as is the initial jockeying phase if you bother with it.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Scut posted:

Yeah the fleet size progression is something that it would be nice to be able to veer away from if you want. The new ways that detection works have helped a bit but more could be done. It would also be nice if there were some combat bonuses to keeping a fleet small so that it could be a viable option to engage in hit and run or delaying actions against massive fleets.

Isn't this something that could be solved by having small ship varieties that move up the power and cost scales at a pace roughly similar to larger ships? If a fleet of 10 "elite" frigates could stand up to a fleet of say 6-8 cruisers, or maybe 3-5 battleships, and would cost roughly the same, wouldn't that do it?

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

Azram Legion posted:

Isn't this something that could be solved by having small ship varieties that move up the power and cost scales at a pace roughly similar to larger ships? If a fleet of 10 "elite" frigates could stand up to a fleet of say 6-8 cruisers, or maybe 3-5 battleships, and would cost roughly the same, wouldn't that do it?

That's an interesting idea. I guess in my imagination I would like for battles to not have to be winner-take-all. Starsector does have some provision for that with follow-up pursuits so maybe we will see more flavour in future updates.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Yeah, but if you include a scaling upgrade system like that for smaller ships, you'd probably have to include it for larger ships as well, and then we're back where we started.

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Katsuma posted:

Yeah, but if you include a scaling upgrade system like that for smaller ships, you'd probably have to include it for larger ships as well, and then we're back where we started.

I didn't mean that you would upgrade ships - sorry if I was unclear. What I meant, was that you would have increasingly powerful small ships available that are able to almost match larger ships in terms of power, with high price tags and reputation requirements to match. An alternative upgrade path that wouldn't require you to move up in ship size (and down in speed) in order to build stronger combat fleets, perhaps with some additional associated costs. I don't know if that would work or not, and it would probably require a whole heaping lot of balancing, but it would at least give the option of following a combat progression path beyond "buy bigger and bigger ships", and it could be implemented through modding.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

There'd be no realistic way to balance that and still deliver on what you want - if you had Frigates capable of matching Cruisers while retaining the overmap maneuverability of Frigates, they would be the correct pick 100% of the time. The only alternative would be to make them prohibitively costly to maintain, which means you need to bring large freighters, which removes your maneuverability advantage.

The thing being asked for is already represented in game, to a degree - not in ship hulls themselves, no, but in players skills, officer skills, and modifications. With all those factors together, an elite Frigate squadron can take on poo poo way above their weight class quite comfortably. You're not going to be stomping Hegemony invasion fleets, no, but you shouldn't be able to - there are things that should require a significant investment of resources to effectively combat.

That said, the next patch adding in the capability of starting colonies and, presumably, the beginnings of a player faction means that in that release or (presumably) slightly later you'll be able to do what you want indirectly - you buzz around in your little space Ferraris, and if you run up against a problem that needs more tonnage to be tackled reasonably, you call in your heavier elements and tag team the problem in question. So you can have your little zippy special forces fleet you're running yourself, and then a hammer (or several) to drop when that wont cut it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. it begins.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

And by it. I mean fuel has become so scarce i cant buy it any where and i have to rely on destroying everything.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

It's not funny, grimcreaper. Knock it off.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I just want to share my gameplay experience in a fun and light hearted way.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
New blog post: Blueprints, Doctrine, and Production

No, it isn't the new version. Yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That looks boss, and it seems like it really nails the feel of colonies being able to produce good guns and ships being an absolute miracle in the sector as is.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat that looks kickass. I can't wait to drown the sector in an endless fleet of Torch gunboats armed with a dozen heavy mortars, or something equally poo poo.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 13, 2018

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

EV (override for life) was like THE defining game of my childhood. I dug all the cheesy plots you could partake in. Does Starsector have any of that, or is it more of a sandbox?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

DangerousDan posted:

EV (override for life) was like THE defining game of my childhood. I dug all the cheesy plots you could partake in. Does Starsector have any of that, or is it more of a sandbox?

So far, there is absolutely zero story you don't make, and story definitely won't come in in the next update, either. This is much more Mount and Blade with EV-y combat than it is an EV game, at the moment.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Unreal_One posted:

So far, there is absolutely zero story you don't make, and story definitely won't come in in the next update, either. This is much more Mount and Blade with EV-y combat than it is an EV game, at the moment.

Not entirely true. There's backstory in the descriptions to things, and the factions themselves are tied into this! But there's no ongoing plot or anything like that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah the game has an awesome mood but no overt story.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

DangerousDan posted:

I'm in the same boat - played a ton of EV and its various sequels/plugins/etc. when I was younger. I think if you liked EV, you will like Starsector. It's the closest thing we have to a successor in the 15 years (!) since EV Nova.

Starsector is much more of a sandbox currently but the general gameplay concepts are similar, though more advanced. I think eventually there will be campaigns or plots. I'm not sure if the dev is planning to make any but (like EV) the game is very moddable. There's a tutorial at the start of the game that is set up very similar to an EV mission string, so the functionality is already in there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DangerousDan posted:

Same, and I also think Override was probably the best.

SS doesn't have that, but that aspect is gradually growing. You can join factions (which have detailed back stories) visit planets (with cool images and descriptions accompanying them), look at ships and weapons and all that jazz, all with its own fluff.

But you can't walk into the spaceport bar and have someone make you an offer you can't resist. Not yet anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

On the other hand, thankfully you can't walk into the spaceport bar and have someone make you an offer you can't resist, or otherwise end up enslaving you for taking a short-hop delivery to Earth. I loved playing EV Nova years ago, but some of the hooks getting into the plots were just awful and poorly signalled.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland posted:

But you can't walk into the spaceport bar spacebar and have someone make you an offer you can't resist. Not yet anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I think my favorite EV Nova storyline was how a modern day four wheeler company becomes an isolationist hyper advanced bioengineered caste society fighting nanite swarms. Like goddamn y'all really branched out from ATVs.