Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm really looking forward to the posts where you have to start euthanizing every new litter because you're at like 50 minions and poo poo gets hauled the second it drops to the floor at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
nah i'm gonna let raids handle that, i have one colonist and they're all assigned to her so i can just draft her, hit release animals, and watch as hundreds of tiny corn pops rip my enemies to shreds while screaming "BEE-DO BEE-DO"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're doing god's work, lord of booty

which god, i'm not sure yet

probably moloch

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

:stare:

jesus christ I was joking

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it turns out when a raider and like 8 minions get in a fight that raider will get loving mauled

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you're basically re-enacting the battlechicken strategy

and i would have it no other way, friend. :)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
except these battlechickens also mean my pawn never has to do any dumb labor ever, barely eat, breed in monstrously goddamn huge litters with a gestation time of 15 days and a time to maturity of only a single year...

loving christ these guys might be a little OP

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Eagle has named baby minion 6 Depression after being nuzzled.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
well that sure ended up bringing my i5-4690K to its knees pretty fast

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
So I had a raid a few nights ago and one of the baddies was wounded and not killed. The Three Horns Clan has a rule about these things: If a single colonist is hurt during a raid, no mercy. They can lay out and thrash in the heat until they die. But... if no colonists were hurt, we try to save them.

So this is how Rissa came to be part of the Three Horns story. Rissa had several desirable skills and was only 35 years old. So I stuck her in my luxurious jail, set her to be recruited, aaaaaaand promptly forgot about her.

A few months of game time later I realized she was still there. She had collapsed on the floor of her jail cell and for the first time since her wounding I looked at her health tab.

Brain: Stab scar X 2

Well, so, that was my fault, all those deadfall traps and all. Too bad about the brain damage, but all I really wanted you to do is replant flowers inside the base and sweep up so it's okay if you're not the smartest. At the 6 month mark, though, she still had no interest in joining us.

Inspiration: Inspired recruitment

gently caress yes! I'm finally going to get Rissa the brain-damaged pirate who hates her own bionic arm! So she joins me, and her clothes are all falling apart. I had just dealt with a big predatory dinosaur called a baryonyx and had made a bunch of (valuable) clothes out of his (valuable) dinosaur hide. I intended to replace various pieces on other colonists with them, but she immediately beelined and put on the whole suit. Well, okay, our new recruit has some new duds. Rissa begins slowly sweeping and filling flowerpots and I go back to ignoring her.

At the end of her first day, Rissa grabs a joint from the stockpile and heads to the rec room. She sits at the table while everyone else lights up or cracks a beer and just sits there. Eventually everyone leaves, and when they do Rissa lights up the joint.

And she PROMPTLY loving DIES.

Rissa has died due to complications from smoking smokeleaf

All the clothes she put on are now corpse clothes and make people sad. :argh:

I buried her in the middle of the smokeleaf field. She's the Three Horns' first ever casualty. We've fought off centipedes, manhunter spinosaurus packs, sieges, bugs... and our first death was killed by smoking a joint.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

euphronius posted:

That's a little weird I have to say.

Basically the tagline for the game experience as a whole honestly.

JonathonSpectre posted:

So I had a raid a few nights ago and one of the baddies was wounded and not killed. The Three Horns Clan has a rule about these things: If a single colonist is hurt during a raid, no mercy. They can lay out and thrash in the heat until they die. But... if no colonists were hurt, we try to save them.

So this is how Rissa came to be part of the Three Horns story. Rissa had several desirable skills and was only 35 years old. So I stuck her in my luxurious jail, set her to be recruited, aaaaaaand promptly forgot about her.

A few months of game time later I realized she was still there. She had collapsed on the floor of her jail cell and for the first time since her wounding I looked at her health tab.

Brain: Stab scar X 2

Well, so, that was my fault, all those deadfall traps and all. Too bad about the brain damage, but all I really wanted you to do is replant flowers inside the base and sweep up so it's okay if you're not the smartest. At the 6 month mark, though, she still had no interest in joining us.

Inspiration: Inspired recruitment

gently caress yes! I'm finally going to get Rissa the brain-damaged pirate who hates her own bionic arm! So she joins me, and her clothes are all falling apart. I had just dealt with a big predatory dinosaur called a baryonyx and had made a bunch of (valuable) clothes out of his (valuable) dinosaur hide. I intended to replace various pieces on other colonists with them, but she immediately beelined and put on the whole suit. Well, okay, our new recruit has some new duds. Rissa begins slowly sweeping and filling flowerpots and I go back to ignoring her.

At the end of her first day, Rissa grabs a joint from the stockpile and heads to the rec room. She sits at the table while everyone else lights up or cracks a beer and just sits there. Eventually everyone leaves, and when they do Rissa lights up the joint.

And she PROMPTLY loving DIES.

Rissa has died due to complications from smoking smokeleaf

All the clothes she put on are now corpse clothes and make people sad. :argh:

I buried her in the middle of the smokeleaf field. She's the Three Horns' first ever casualty. We've fought off centipedes, manhunter spinosaurus packs, sieges, bugs... and our first death was killed by smoking a joint.

Ah you have encountered the wonderful critical consciousness failure rule. If you hit 0% consciousness you immediately die. This has interesting effects when someone has, as you say, brain damage, or are suffering from an illness, or are in a lot of pain, and particularly, when they smoke weed.

So yes, brain damage lets you toke so hard you instantly die.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 13, 2018

wit
Jul 26, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

So yes, brain damage lets you toke so hard you instantly die.

That's broken as holy lol but at least its not some weedjock mechanic that obnoxiously means that not cannabis is so good for you it grows back your legs or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's probably not entirely intended behaviour, as the reason for it makes sense for a lot of permanent or long term issues, such as if someone takes a brain injury while also suffering from dementia or sleeping sickness or something similar leaving them functionally brain dead or, at least, just not able to do anything, the game considering that a death state is a reasonable abstraction. And weed reducing your general mental acuity stat makes sense as well. It's just that they're the same stat and it models it flat subtractively so that pot literally just lops off part of your brain capacity while you're on it, and if you hit 0% brain capacity the game considers that brain dead and kills you.

It'd probably work better if it had a multiplicative effect honestly but it's always funny when someone discovers it for the first time.

Otherwise spaceweed's pretty fairly modeled in that it gives you cancer if you use it too much and addiction is bad but otherwise it just makes you cheery and a bit spaced. Like all drugs it's not something you want to run your whole colony off if you're looking for longevity and optimal performance from your colonists, but it's useful for dealing with mood crises or making an otherwise too difficult colonist much more manageable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 13, 2018

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

OwlFancier posted:

Otherwise spaceweed's pretty fairly modeled in that it gives you cancer if you use it too much and addiction is bad but otherwise it just makes you cheery and a bit spaced.

This is a bit of a derail, sorry, but I just read the ACA page that says, despite the carcinogens in the smoke, some active cannabinoids apparently slow and kill some cancers. O_o

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/complementary-and-alternative-medicine/marijuana-and-cancer.html

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 13, 2018

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

IcePhoenix posted:

This talk of self-sustaining T-Rexes reminded me of something from a previous game. Do cats no longer hunt for themselves when they're hungry? I had a cat that was constantly starving because I forbid it from going into my freezer since it was eating my meals. I know in A17 and earlier I always just left my cats alone and they would go hunt down various small animals. And before anyone asks: yes the entire rest of the map was allowed, and yes there were various small critters around the map that I know they would hunt before.
Yes, B18 has a bug where cats don't seem to hunt on their own anymore.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36668.msg375679#msg375679

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ILL Machina posted:

This is a bit of a derail, sorry, but I just read the ACA page that some active cannabinoids apparently slow and kill some cancers. O_o

I mean, you're still inhaling a bunch of smoke if you, well, smoke it, which I figure is probably bad for your lungs even if it might help fix your liver cancer. Honestly I can't find a consistent source on it.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, you're still inhaling a bunch of smoke if you, well, smoke it, which I figure is probably bad for your lungs even if it might help fix your liver cancer. Honestly I can't find a consistent source on it.

I don't necessarily disagree with you. The ACA's a pretty consistent source and is good about saying that the benefits are under-researched, but so far they only insinuate net negative effects of cancer over time.

Good for your liver (and possible other systems) bad for your lungs, I guess? Some research says it increases blood flow to certain brain areas, so maybe the loss of consciousness just works better in the game and for ratings.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

wit posted:

That's broken as holy lol but at least its not some weedjock mechanic that obnoxiously means that not cannabis is so good for you it grows back your legs or something.

ILL Machina posted:

This is a bit of a derail, sorry, but I just read the ACA page that says, despite the carcinogens in the smoke, some active cannabinoids apparently slow and kill some cancers. O_o

https://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatments-and-side-effects/complementary-and-alternative-medicine/marijuana-and-cancer.html

Look, I'm not one to point the finger but....

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I hatched a cunning plan to summon trade caravans (one exotic good and one arms trader) from factions that hate eachother hoping they'll kill eachother and I can just pick up the loot and some prisoners after. Tragically, they arrived at my base at separate times and got along with eachother fine. For a while. Then randomly something popped off, I heard gunshots, someone started firing an incendiary launcher and half of one of the caravans get blown up, my stockpile burned dow and my loving alpacas got shot to poo poo in the confusion. I did get a bunch of guns, loot, and a couple prisoners out of it, so I guess it is a viable strategy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Don't factions get pissy with you when their people get injured regardless of who did it, though?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

Don't factions get pissy with you when their people get injured regardless of who did it, though?

Yeah normally. I didn't see the normal 'faction standing dropped by x' message this time, though they might have gotten lost in all the other messages.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ShadowHawk posted:

Yes, B18 has a bug where cats don't seem to hunt on their own anymore.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=36668.msg375679#msg375679

Thanks for confirming this

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ILL Machina posted:

Yep! Cannabis smoke is inherently cancer-neutral between the few hundred carcinogens in the smoke and it’s tumor-killing properties. If vaped however, all but three of the carcinogens are cut out of the equation making it into an actual therapy drug for tumors. :eng101:

I can find the study on vaping if you’re interested. There is also an anecdotal story of a 6 year old girl who’s parents chose not to do chemo for and instead treated her with medical marijuana. It fully eradicated her tumors and she was pronounced medically cured. You can find a documentary on it if you search “Brave Mikaila” (Mikayla? I don’t remember the spelling.)

But lol, Schedule 1 right guys?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Siets posted:

Yep! Cannabis smoke is inherently cancer-neutral between the few hundred carcinogens in the smoke and it’s tumor-killing properties. If vaped however, all but three of the carcinogens are cut out of the equation making it into an actual therapy drug for tumors. :eng101:

I can find the study on vaping if you’re interested. There is also an anecdotal story

whoops, sounds like "alternative medicine"

wit
Jul 26, 2011

A Moose posted:

The fatcats won't legalise luciferium either.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

They need some sort of fridge truck in vanilla.

This game is unintentionally terrifying as it is. We don't need cannibal colonists riding around in an ice cream truck.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Heffer posted:

This game is unintentionally terrifying as it is. We don't need cannibal colonists riding around in an ice cream truck.

Using mods I drop gangs of robots with beanbag shotguns from pods and enslave tribesmen. If it had the ice cream man's jingle I'd be stoked.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Are there any long term side effects of pumping the colony full of yayo (or whatever the high quality one is called)? My last play through had a huge yayo farm and I couldn't sell it fast enough so decided to include it in the daily regiment of the colony. I remember it working quite well and never really ran into serious issues. Then again, my last game was in a17....

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

quote:

Those with visible tolerance to psychite, will develop chemical damage in the kidneys in a mean time of 120 days.

Say no to drugs kids. As far as I know the only long term safe drug is Luci. which is completely safe until it isn't.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Yeah but you can just change out kidneys whenever it becomes a problem

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

presuming you somehow prevent your people from building up a psychite tolerance, no. the tolerances are what spawn the larger complications, not the actual use. addictions aren't an issue if you have a functionally infinite supply, but the most common side effect of psychite tolerance is kidney damage. in vanilla, there is no way to replace kidneys with a bionic that resists this damage so you will have to also have an organ farm/backlog of kidneys to provide transplants. if you're using an expanded prosthetics or bionics mod you can probably swap out the kidneys for bionics, which will not take damage from this process.

it's certainly not an intractable problem, but in general i'd recommend retasking the excess planting area to either corn or devilstrand. they are both Malthusian requirements (in that you can scarcely live without food or clothing), and the raw corn or cloth can be sold in large lots to bulk traders for lump payments/less common materials (uranium and gold come immediately to mind), or simply used directly by the colony (for fodder and meals in the case of corn, or clothing-armor in the case of devilstrand cloth).

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 14, 2018

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
I don’t know what happened, but my game stopped working correctly. I made zero mod changes and have been playing with the same mods for months then suddenly:

1. Prepare carefully stopped working;
2. Re-rolling characters the standard way—breaks the game after 3 re-rolls;
3. Trade caravans stopped working (caravans have no leader to trade with); AND
4. When I try to trade caravan myself I arrive to trade and while I’m notified settlements have thousands of items to trade, only my items show up to sell.

I first disabled all the mods, and the vanilla client still was broken. I just uninstalled and re-installed, but as I am at work I did not have an opportunity to see if that “fixed” the issue yet (e.g. I missed an offending corrupted file).

At first I thought there had been a version change, but nope...

Has anyone else encountered anything like this?

Edit

I make poo poo tons of yayo for sale. You can control colonist use by messing with drug policies, but I find it easier to pay close attention to production and just literally forbid every stack once it is full/ in-between crafting sessions.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 14, 2018

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

I make poo poo tons of yayo for sale. You can control colonist use by messing with drug policies, but I find it easier to pay close attention to production and just literally forbid every stack once it is full/ in-between crafting sessions.

This is some broke brain poo poo if you think micromanaging 10-20 pawns is easier than setting a drug policy and only needing to worry about the crackheads. :psyduck:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A Moose posted:

weed isn't inherently a cancer cure but using it in ways that don't involve lung damage (i.e. edibles, vaping, tinctures) can actually help with regular cancer treatment in a fuckton of ways, this is kind of the rationale behind most MMJ laws, hth

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
For whatever reason I've ended up with tons of prisoners this time and they're extremely unruly. After the fourth prison break I put the prison inside of a second prison, but I still have to send in a few power armored shock troops with plasteel maces to remind the prisoners who is in charge. I'm getting tempted to just throw a molly in during the next prison break.

On the plus side it's great training for my doctor, even without harvesting their organs.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Herstory Begins Now posted:

For whatever reason I've ended up with tons of prisoners this time and they're extremely unruly. After the fourth prison break I put the prison inside of a second prison, but I still have to send in a few power armored shock troops with plasteel maces to remind the prisoners who is in charge. I'm getting tempted to just throw a molly in during the next prison break.

On the plus side it's great training for my doctor, even without harvesting their organs.

Just strip them all and put turrets outside the door

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Warmachine posted:

This is some broke brain poo poo if you think micromanaging 10-20 pawns is easier than setting a drug policy and only needing to worry about the crackheads. :psyduck:

Maybe, but I think there are two things are going on here with me in particular. Most important I think, it is an artifact of play-style. Typically, I never let my colony get above 9 pawns. In fact, I would say in most games 7 is my sweet spot. So usually I have 2 or 3 crafters, that is it—so it is less micro management than you might think.

Second I have owned this game forever—before it was on steam even. At some point the drug policies were in the game, but broken. So I got used to playing without bothering with them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Personally I enjoy sending my goons in with shock sticks to put down prison riots. :cop:

ZombieLenin posted:

Maybe, but I think there are two things are going on here with me in particular. Most important I think, it is an artifact of play-style. Typically, I never let my colony get above 9 pawns. In fact, I would say in most games 7 is my sweet spot. So usually I have 2 or 3 crafters, that is it—so it is less micro management than you might think.

Second I have owned this game forever—before it was on steam even. At some point the drug policies were in the game, but broken. So I got used to playing without bothering with them.

Yeah, I'm a steam weenie, and I'm in the camp that is screaming for a 64-bit executable because I like big poo poo and 20-50 pawns is my sweet spo--out of memory.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I manage the drug policies by not having drugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I just harvest for meat anyone and anything the moment they dip into my precious drug stocks

shock sticks you say?