Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

Because the Force can't act through you you're also immune to "destiny" though of course the Force can still act on you through people, like your companions and Kreia

It's pretty interesting how Luke's philosophy in Last Jedi is the optimistic inverse of Kreia. Kreia sees the Jedi and the sith as destructive forces. So does Luke. However Kreia blames fate itself for causing these flawed ideologies to wage war, and wants to burn it all down to make everyone free of predestination. Luke on the other hand wants the galaxy to embrace the force free of the ideologies of the sith and the Jedi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Glad I remembered correctly. I always liked when somebody diversified how the Force can be experienced in an interesting way. Like there was a little bit from the beginning of the Dark Nest trilogy when Jacen went and studied with all sorts of different people to get a more diverse perspective on the Force and that was probably the only good part from the bug orgy series.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

reinstalled NV again and got increasingly frustrated that the Strip Open mod wasn't also making Freeside open. probably spent 30 minutes messing with load order, trying different things, reinstalling mods, but nothing could make Strip Open turn Freeside open too.

:v: because Freeside Open is an entirely separate mod and it worked first try once I remembered that. in my mind the Strip & Freeside are supposed to be one huge, homogenous area so my brain just assumed that Strip Open should work for both locations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speaking of new Vegas, does anyone actually go to westside ever? Over six playthroughs I think I've been there once. It's just such a strange boring area, am I missing something.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Uh, the pawn shop there is kind of useful. Other than that I got nothing

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember actually going there a fair bit for some reason. I dunno why, trying to think of it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Contreras and Arcade both have quests that require you to go there, there's also a super mutant whose voice actor wasn't told the character's tongue had been cut out and two guys who sell children to cannibal paedophiles, and nobody much minds if you slice them up with an axe

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Isn't the Thorn in Westside? Or right next to it?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Isn't the Thorn in Westside? Or right next to it?

You mean the whole sewers section I didn't even realize existed for several playthroughs and can't remember ever really visiting even after I happened upon it by chance?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Psychotic Weasel posted:

You mean the whole sewers section I didn't even realize existed for several playthroughs and can't remember ever really visiting even after I happened upon it by chance?

Just several? I didn't know the Thorn existed until last year and I've been playing almost since release.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Well, if you bring Red Lucy (The lady who runs the thorn) a bunch of Mantis, Fire Gecko, Nightstalker, and Deathclaw eggs she'll sleep with you, so if doing hard and long quests to get fake video game sex is your thing there's that. You can also grind for exp by killing Deathclaws in the thorn if you're just a little bit away from your next level and you're feeling impatient.

Other than that....I dunno, not much else in the sewers as far as I know.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

chitoryu12 posted:

Just several? I didn't know the Thorn existed until last year and I've been playing almost since release.

That's how I felt about Aerotech office park and the quests it has. Or the majority of NV really.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wasn't there cut content where you can let out the monsters they've locked up and they'll kill everyone in the Thorn? I remember Mr. New Vegas mentioning it when I looked up the clips of the news radio.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

2house2fly posted:

Contreras and Arcade both have quests that require you to go there, there's also a super mutant whose voice actor wasn't told the character's tongue had been cut out and two guys who sell children to cannibal paedophiles, and nobody much minds if you slice them up with an axe

Wes-ee-bay.

(wesibe)

Also, Tom Anderson, who's part of The White Wash - a Followers-related quest, but nothing to do with Arcade. It's NCR I think.

e: you meant the old guy there for Arcade's quest, I see. The White Wash is a pretty in-depth NCR thing.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 12, 2018

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The game does a pretty bad job admittedly of training you to westside. I guess they figured some people would go north from goodsprings, so it made sense to put content there so they aren't just walking through destroyed raider rubbles.

Tales from the Burning Sands is a pretty neat quest mod with a pretty huge DLC-sized instance that has a hub for crafting its perks and items in Westside, if you want to add some more excuses to go there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Red Lucy also gives you the Dinner Bell, making the thorn a required stop for me on my ocd riddled quest to collect every unique weapon in the game.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There's also the Humble Cudgel, the unique tire iron that maybe three people ever found without consulting the wiki. :v:

Honestly, the sewers seem like an area that could have had some potential, possibly as an alternative way to infiltrate the Strip, but there's not nearly enough down there outside of the Thorn to make it really worth exploring. (Not that that's really a complaint, though, considering how much else is in the game)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I believe on my first playthrough I managed to entirely miss the sewers, Thorn, and Westside. :lol:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I'm about at the point where I'm planning to head to Far Harbor and maybe actually do the drat story this time instead of getting distracted like this game wants me to be. Which companions have the most to contribute? I hear Valentine has interesting things to say, at least, but are there any others, like Piper or Deacon?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Valentine is pretty much the only choice. I ran it with Piper, and don't recall her having much to say.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Valentine is to Far Harbor what Lydia was to Dragonborn.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Take Nick, but feel free to swap him out for Old Longfellow (the new Far Harbor companion, his cabin is a settlement) when you take a break from the main quest to go roaming the island. Guy makes a great hunting and drinking buddy.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I just replayed Fallout 1 recently and it really is crazy how advanced the game is for its time. Not mechanically or technologically of course, but in regards to its storytelling. In almost any other traditional RPG, there's a fuckton of hamhanded exposition and worldbuilding that is fed to you through countless dialogue boxes, usually before you even get to play the game. The writer just HAS to tell you about how quirky the elves are in his setting before you can start collecting rat tails for the main quest. This style of storytelling persists even today, in games Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Underrail and maybe Divinity 2 slightly as well.

Meanwhile, Fallout 1 has a short cinematic cutscene that tells you how the world ended. You can skip it if you want to. Then you have another short cinematic cutscene where grampa tells you that there's no more water, and you have to go out and find a water chip. You know, to make more water. That's it. Then you're out on your own. After that point, the only thing that the dev team presumes you care about is the water chip. Learning about anything else in the game's setting is strictly voluntary. If you really want to learn about the FEV, you have to go down into the The Glow and ask the supercomputer about it. In any other RPG, your grampa would've told you the express purpose and features of the FEV during the 2 hour tutorial sequence in the vault (right after an evil mutant wizard shows up and blows up a random NPC, thus justifying a cause for the explanation)

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Feb 13, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fallout 1 is the only RPG I know of where you can not only skip the final boss but complete the entire game without even realising he exists.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Valentine is to Far Harbor what Lydia was to Dragonborn.

Lydia gets a lot of dialogue in Dragonborn? Never heard about that one.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also if you set your intelligence score too low, Grandpa will decide you're too stupid for his opening exposition and send you on your way.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Loading screen tip: FEV, or Forced Evolutionary Virus, was created by the Master to turn people in to Super Mutants. That's bad.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
What game has that tip? I don't recall ever having seen it before.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Only companion I ever need is Killdozer, my mr.handy with hydraulic frame, robobrain tracks, a dozer blade, and armed with dual heavy flamethrowers.

Killdozer will never judge you, no matter how many families you murder or toilets you drink out of. A far greater friend than those self-righteous fools who expect you to follow their moral values and question your methods.

Killdozer is also a master wordsmith, having the most memorable quotes in the whole game.

"(Beeping noises)" --Killdozer, 2277

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Samuel Clemens posted:

Fallout 1 is the only RPG I know of where you can not only skip the final boss but complete the entire game without even realising he exists.

I beat the game by complete accident by going to into the Children of the Cathedral's tower for fun and just loving around. Boy was I surprised I found the ending of the plot before even knowing the two were connected. Luckily I was able to talk their leader out of trying to turn everyone into Super Mutants by mentioning they can't have kids. You'd think they would have checked that.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Reality Loser posted:

Loading screen tip: FEV, or Forced Evolutionary Virus, was created by the Master to turn people in to Super Mutants. That's bad.

quote:

FEV, or Forced Evolutionary Virus, was created by the Master

quote:

created by the Master

I know you're trolling me, but I just wanted to say: it's working.

:tizzy:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Minorkos posted:

I just replayed Fallout 1 recently and it really is crazy how advanced the game is for its time. Not mechanically or technologically of course, but in regards to its storytelling. In almost any other traditional RPG, there's a fuckton of hamhanded exposition and worldbuilding that is fed to you through countless dialogue boxes, usually before you even get to play the game. The writer just HAS to tell you about how quirky the elves are in his setting before you can start collecting rat tails for the main quest. This style of storytelling persists even today, in games Shadowrun: Dragonfall, Underrail and maybe Divinity 2 slightly as well.

Meanwhile, Fallout 1 has a short cinematic cutscene that tells you how the world ended. You can skip it if you want to. Then you have another short cinematic cutscene where grampa tells you that there's no more water, and you have to go out and find a water chip. You know, to make more water. That's it. Then you're out on your own. After that point, the only thing that the dev team presumes you care about is the water chip. Learning about anything else in the game's setting is strictly voluntary. If you really want to learn about the FEV, you have to go down into the The Glow and ask the supercomputer about it. In any other RPG, your grampa would've told you the express purpose and features of the FEV during the 2 hour tutorial sequence in the vault (right after an evil mutant wizard shows up and blows up a random NPC, thus justifying a cause for the explanation)

Haha also same. I just beat fallout 1 again last night. There’s still a lot of issues there, even with mods- UI, dearth of useless skills, some shits a bit unintuitive. But I really enjoyed a replay and it’s amazing how good the game is for being 20 years old.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I honestly dont remember

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
what do i do about fallout 4 having insane load times? i'm getting really annoyed with how long just fast travel is taking.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Mycroft Holmes posted:

what do i do about fallout 4 having insane load times? i'm getting really annoyed with how long just fast travel is taking.

Turn off vsync, or get a mod that toggles it off/on for load screens. For some insane reason your loading is tied to your FPS, so uncapped framerate helps tremendously.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always thought they should do a plot about a group that's basically a voluntary version of the FO1 super mutant conversions, back when super mutants were smart and immortal. You can see both points of view, there's a good ethical dilemma on which side you go with and it lends itself to conflict very easily.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my weird dream fallout game is just cowboy mount and blade on the northern fringes of the ncr

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

my weird dream fallout game is just cowboy mount and blade on the northern fringes of the ncr

Cowboy Mount and Blade with good Sim Settlement integration.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Reality Loser posted:

But it comes with a free frogurt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Leroy Dennui posted:

But it comes with a free frogurt!

That's good!

But the frogurt contains the FEV and will also turn you into a super mutant.