Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Kameh posted:

Solid advice here.

But seriously, get to a doctor sooner rather than later. It's been a few months since I've swung a golf club, and before my break began, my lower back was hurting, even more so after golf. Figured a few months off would help, but it hasn't really helped at all. Got a doctor's appointment this week. Don't like having to worry about the stuff.

As you get up there in years, you will find that you need to get into the gym and work on core muscles and flexibility if you want to play golf on a regular basis. Welcome to old age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

As you get up there in years, you will find that you need to get into the gym and work on core muscles and flexibility if you want to play golf on a regular basis. Welcome to old age!

Pfft. I'm old, like old old, and I do a bit of walking, and golf around 1.5 times a week on average as my only exercise. My game has never been better. I do not recommend this.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

torgeaux posted:

Pfft. I'm old, like old old, and I do a bit of walking, and golf around 1.5 times a week on average as my only exercise. My game has never been better. I do not recommend this.

I wish I could get away with this. I'm 48 and if I don't constantly do stretches my body falls apart in starting in August.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I wish I could get away with this. I'm 48 and if I don't constantly do stretches my body falls apart in starting in August.

Oh, you young fool. 54 here. And, I have dropped weight which helped more than anything else.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'm playing Pebble Beach in April and hopefully will hit at least 1 green in regulation and not 4-putt. :chord:

also old :corsair:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'm playing Pebble Beach in April and hopefully will hit at least 1 green in regulation and not 4-putt. :chord:

drat. Play reasonable tee boxes, you'll have more fun.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Keyser_Soze posted:

Can you imagine if Tiger had played this week with that 50 yard miss to the right? Woulda killed several people on the beach.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

Hey if Rory can 5-jack you can too.

Granted his was at Monterey.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Two unrelated questions:

When putting, is weight supposed to be distributed evenly, or a bit more on the left foot? I see both recommended.

When chipping, can I choke down too far on the club to bring myself closer to the ball? I mean, obviously yes, but at what point is the heel of the club too far off the ground to be accurate?

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I've been playing a lot more recently, and I've found that with my irons if I open my stance up a little (gradually more as I get to lower irons) I am getting a straighter shot. Am I instilling bad habits, or is this a perfectly reasonable change. We're talking left too toes at base of right foot toes 4-6, 7-9 about middle of the right foot.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Lincoln posted:

Two unrelated questions:

When putting, is weight supposed to be distributed evenly, or a bit more on the left foot? I see both recommended.

When chipping, can I choke down too far on the club to bring myself closer to the ball? I mean, obviously yes, but at what point is the heel of the club too far off the ground to be accurate?

Yes, you can choke down to the steel if needed. I don't know if you're allowed to grip the steel itself, but somebody else probably knows.

For chipping, especially off of tight lies, it's beneficial to have the club very upright, like putting. You're not trying to scoop the ball, since the club is lofted enough to do that on its own. Lift the heel just off the ground, use a long putting motion with still wrists, and you should be successful.

Edit: I say keep the heel elevated (and toe down) because it brings a little less of the club in contact with the ground. Depending on the sole and grind, it reduce your chances of chunking, although I know that wider soles will help the club "skip" off the turf easier than thinner soles.

It's all feel.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 13, 2018

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Also everyone should learn how to chip with a hybrid. Especially for when you're short-sided to the green.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Homestar Runner posted:

Also everyone should learn how to chip with a hybrid. Especially for when you're short-sided to the green.

I'm a 3 wood chipper myself. When sitting one foot into the rough and 8 feet from the hole, I've really gotten a feel for the distance control.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

daslog posted:

I’m 39 and probably shouldn’t have been doing squats and deadlifts in the gym the night before. I went to my GP and it’s a strained intercostal muscle. Definitely another week before I can swing a club. It doesn’t hurt to breathe anymore but sneezing sucks.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Kameh posted:

Yes, you can choke down to the steel if needed. I don't know if you're allowed to grip the steel itself, but somebody else probably knows.

There's no rule against gripping the shaft below the actual grip during a swing, regardless of the club. Clubs aren't even required to have a grip at all (although a club with no grip has the portion of the shaft intended to be held classified as the grip so you can't circumvent the rules about grip shapes/ridges/etc).

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CNN posted:

Pro golfer Bill Haas was seriously injured in a multicar crash that also left another person hurt and one dead in Southern California, authorities said. A vehicle driven by actor Luke Wilson was also involved in the crash, CNN affiliate KTLA reported.

The collision and rollover occurred Tuesday night in the Pacific Palisades neighborhood, Los Angeles Police Detective Jeff Fischer told KTLA.

Haas was a passenger in a Ferrari that struck a Toyota SUV driven by actor Luke Wilson, according to Fischer. The Ferrari then collided with a BMW, he added.

The Ferrari's driver was pronounced dead at the scene and two people -- a 35-year-old man and a 50-year-old woman -- were transported to the hospital in serious condition, the Los Angeles Fire Department said in a statement.

While fire department officials did not provide the victims' names, Fischer told the affiliate that Haas, 35, was one of two people injured

Fischer said the damage to Wilson's vehicle is minor. "It basically got clipped by the Ferrari," he said.

Haas was scheduled to play this week in the Genesis Open at the nearby Riviera Country Club, located in the Los Angeles community of Pacific Palisades.

CNN has reached out to representatives for Haas and Wilson, along with PGA officials.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Video of the crash scene

https://twitter.com/GeoffShac/status/963665846286635008

Jesus!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

holy poo poo :stare:

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

The driver of the Ferrari who died was a member of the family hosting Haas for this weeks tournament, that really sucks. I'm amazed Haas wasn't injured more seriously based on the shape that car is in.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
How fast was that car going on what looks like a residential street? Jesus, it's amazing Haas has no serious injuries.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Farking Bastage posted:

I’m 39 and probably shouldn’t have been doing squats and deadlifts in the gym the night before. I went to my GP and it’s a strained intercostal muscle. Definitely another week before I can swing a club. It doesn’t hurt to breathe anymore but sneezing sucks.

I wasn't implying that golfers should try to emulate Rory in the gym 😁. What I do believe is that doing a workout designed for golfers thelat concentrates on flexibility and core strength will help you feel better on the course.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

daslog posted:

I wasn't implying that golfers should try to emulate Rory in the gym 😁. What I do believe is that doing a workout designed for golfers thelat concentrates on flexibility and core strength will help you feel better on the course.

Feel better on the course? Jeez. Golf is a form of self flaggelation, why would I want to feel better?

Huskers
May 9, 2009
Wow I saw a little blurb on the accident, didn't realize it was that serious. Geez

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
I purchased a small :10bux: putting mirror on Amazon and immediately saw an improvement on the practice green. Just keep your eyes on the black line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WT31FP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

I purchased a small :10bux: putting mirror on Amazon and immediately saw an improvement on the practice green. Just keep your eyes on the black line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WT31FP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I always wonder when I see pros using these kinds of aids on the putting green. Because your putter (and stroke) and raised higher than they would normally, doesn't it groove a "thin" stroke? And even if you putt with the putter on the ground on real greens, you're still doing something slightly different than what you'd been practicing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

I always wonder when I see pros using these kinds of aids on the putting green. Because your putter (and stroke) and raised higher than they would normally, doesn't it groove a "thin" stroke? And even if you putt with the putter on the ground on real greens, you're still doing something slightly different than what you'd been practicing.

The mirror is only 1/8th of an inch thick, and because the ball does not go on the mirror I find that I don't raise my stroke at all. I don't think it's really possible swing a club that low.

Here is a side view of the ball in position on my desk. you can see how low the mirror is compared to the mid point of the ball.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Welp, the year-round driving range I go to sometimes burned down last night. He's also the guy who has regripped clubs for me before so looks like I'll be doing that myself this time. Feel so bad for him :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiger with a birdie on the 1st(10th) hole!

Rory with an awesome bunker birdie as well.

JT with a easy kick in birdie.

edit: And then puts one in the trees on 11 and has to rehit lol

mattfl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 15, 2018

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

2 birdies, 2 bogeys, 1 double in 6 holes. Gonna be a fun round it looks like.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Tiger misses the cut, and to be honest other than two long birdie putts on the front, played really poorly.

He will be playing next week at the Honda in Florida though.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Tiger misses the cut, and to be honest other than two long birdie putts on the front, played really poorly.

He will be playing next week at the Honda in Florida though.

Such a tough tournament/course to play regardless. Glad he played but a lot of guys struggle there.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Such a tough tournament/course to play regardless. Glad he played but a lot of guys struggle there.

His struggles weren't course related. He bogeyed the first two par 3s, and double crossed an iron on a short par 4 off the tee.

His short game and putting have been really good but his short iron play has been really poor. Even when he hits the fairway he's not giving himself 6-8 footers for birdie, they're 18-20 footers with his irons.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays next week with 10ish days of practice ahead of him and not having to worry about travel.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

His struggles weren't course related. He bogeyed the first two par 3s, and double crossed an iron on a short par 4 off the tee.

His short game and putting have been really good but his short iron play has been really poor. Even when he hits the fairway he's not giving himself 6-8 footers for birdie, they're 18-20 footers with his irons.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays next week with 10ish days of practice ahead of him and not having to worry about travel.

It's still early in his comeback, but he's playing on the level I expected him to. It's going to be almost impossible for him to be competitive ongoing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My local PGA Tour Superstore has a “grand reopening” today even though I don’t think they changed anything. They had a putting contest for a Ping putter. I was one of 7 to make the first 10 footer, but for the next round at 30 feet it was just closest to the hole, and I would’ve won if I had just hit it a little harder (I was the only one who had the right line). :negative:

I guess the moral of the story is indoor putting greens are terrible and you shouldn’t buy a putter without testing it on real greens.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm tempted to drive 2.5 hours in a couple months to get an actual putter fitting with the only evnroll dealer in my state when he comes back from arizona. I want the new er9 when it comes out but I'm not buying a putter without trying it and getting fitted.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Goddammit stop shuffling your feet and hit the drat ball Cantlay!!!! Aghhh.

Sorry. I hate slow players.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Phil is going to have another top 10 finish, too. Not sure he's going to get another win, but he seems like he's improving towards Augusta.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

torgeaux posted:

Phil is going to have another top 10 finish, too. Not sure he's going to get another win, but he seems like he's improving towards Augusta.

So impressive that stat where he's been top 50 in the world for 24 years. There was talk that he might move out of it but the last few results should keep him there.

Anyone seen/used the new Callaway Rogue driver? Saw one at a local store the other day and I love the look of it. Shame its $650...

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

My man B Watt is back on track this year! B Watt is his nickname I've given him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I posted up on the 12th green at Riv today for an hour and a half while the last 6 or so groups came through. Watching that green and Sunday pin murder the pros every year is so entertaining. Besides Phil's chip in for 3, maybe 3 guys made par, including Bubba's up and down that he pulls off on that hole every year.

Justin Thomas was one of the few guys to hold the green with his approach and then some dumbass's phone alarm went off right in his stroke and he putted it off the green.

Shotlink guy told me Bubba's drive on 17 was 349y. Uphill. It's absurd.