Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

AgentCow007 posted:

I can vouch for SteelSeries being the same way. I end up replacing every 11-18 months. It's bullshit, but the Sensei is the only thing I can find similar in shape to old IntelliMouse Explorers Opticals (that lasted for a good 5-7 years each). Microsoft made good hardware. RIP

Zowie make some good ambidextrous mice. Also Microsoft recently rereleased the intellimouse. Don’t know if it’s as good as it used to be though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

Zowie make some good ambidextrous mice. Also Microsoft recently rereleased the intellimouse. Don’t know if it’s as good as it used to be though.

I heard the sensor they used was exceptionally bad. :(

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There are videos showing how to fix the microswitches on Logitech mice. I tried it with my phantom misclicking Performance MX and, uh, I hosed it up and now it doesn't click at all anymore. Oops. It's probably easier to just buy new microswitches and replace them entirely. Anyway I'm just giving up on that mouse since it's 6 years old or so and the switch for the forward button also just fell out one day.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
When are Logitech gonna release wireless mice that aren't the G403 or G900?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

did we hit a plateau or what is the latest and greatest aside from the same two logitech gaming mice always on sale on amazon

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Has anyone bought a Rival 700 yet?

I'm still on my first Rival 300 (with 2 of those ugly Fallout 4 spares to go after the Fade edition dies)

I don't have any justifications other than the OLED screen being neat

E: It's on the way I'll have a trip report soon

Trip Report:

It's heavy as hell, which I actually like. The side grips are made out of a harder material that reminds me of a pistol grip, as opposed to the soft rubber that I annihilated on the 300.

The screen will actually display discord messages when you get them, which is kind of awesome when you're in a fullscreen game.

The tactile feedback is nice, you can have it do a Sad Trombone vibe when you lose each and every round of CSGO. Redeemed the whole thing for me

Can't imagine using it at 16000dpi, but coming from 1600 on the Rival 300, 2400 feels "right" to me

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 7, 2018

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

My venerable MX518 has started dropping about 70% of my scrolling attempts, has anyone attempted to repair/clean the scroll wheel sensor with any success?

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
this $50 LEDOS mouse from Fry's Electronics has held up pretty well through some serious computer gaming and internet surfing. Probably you don't need the $100 product!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Chard posted:

My venerable MX518 has started dropping about 70% of my scrolling attempts, has anyone attempted to repair/clean the scroll wheel sensor with any success?

I haven't done it myself but check out:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Logitech+MX518+Gaming+Mouse+Scroll+wheel+replacement+for+cleaning/28723

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My faithful G9x, while still functional, is definitely worn out and on a whim this weekend, I went out and grabbed a G502 to replace it.

At first I really liked it; the shape was different but didn't take much adapting and I really, really liked the scroll wheel. But after a day the awful slider placement and overall design of the bottom of the mouse started to bother me. I could rock the whole mouse up on the right edge by like ten or twenty degrees with just downward pressure from my palm, and the front part of the mouse under the buttons had the same problem if my fingers were too far forward. It felt like it had the profile of an aircraft carrier where the width of the top was only supported underneath by a narrow cross-section. I wonder if the problem was made worse by the weight-access panel on the bottom being part of the slider structure?

But I wasn't really willing to give up the scroll wheel and DPI adjustments, so the only solution was to return it for a G903 :v:.

The G903 is a really big change shape-wise from the G9x so it's taking some time to adapt my grip, but it's growing on me for sure. It doesn't really feel like it's worth twice as much as the G502 but it is a fair bit nicer in terms of build and finish. The wireless charging is a cute idea and I may pick up a powerplay pad if they ever get down to like $40.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Thanks! That doesn't look too challenging, I'll give a try tomorrow when I'm less fumbly.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

FBS posted:

I may pick up a powerplay pad if they ever get down to like $40.
They won't.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Finalmouse's new thing looks pretty cool but seems like a total dust/dirt problem magnet http://finalmouse.com/ultralightsunset.php

67g, 3360 sensor, also available in black/white $20 cheaper

ufarn
May 30, 2009

emdash posted:

Finalmouse's new thing looks pretty cool but seems like a total dust/dirt problem magnet http://finalmouse.com/ultralightsunset.php

67g, 3360 sensor, also available in black/white $20 cheaper
Joke's on them, I don't need their mouse to feel nothing.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hate the ambidextrous design

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i'd buy that in a second if I didnt have 2 MS Comfort mouse 6000s. I love feather light mice.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Anyone know of any gaming quality mouse with horizontal scrolling on the mouse wheel? I really like the side to side on the logitech M510, but I find its performance lacking in most shooters. I know the G500s does, but at $120 it's out of the budget range.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Myriarch posted:

Anyone know of any gaming quality mouse with horizontal scrolling on the mouse wheel? I really like the side to side on the logitech M510, but I find its performance lacking in most shooters. I know the G500s does, but at $120 it's out of the budget range.

The G502 does.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The G502 does.

Thanks, this sounds like what I want

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

FYI, I just looked at the G502 is currently on sale for 50 (30 off) on Amazon, not sure how long that lasts

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Chard posted:

FYI, I just looked at the G502 is currently on sale for 50 (30 off) on Amazon, not sure how long that lasts

To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever seen it at full price outside of a physical retail store.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

To be honest I don’t think I’ve ever seen it at full price outside of a physical retail store.

Yeah, that may well be one of those permanent 'deals' that work so well on people like me :downs: Still, looks like a good mouse for the price, although I'm not wild about how pointy the design is.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
It feels much better than it looks. I'm not crazy about the design either, but it feels nice in the hand and has good features :shrug:

I wish the thumb buttons were a little further forward, but that's about my only complaint.

e: and if you're right-handed and don't use your mouse in the center of your desk, it's significantly better looking in real life than in product photos. Check it out at a Best Buy.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

I'm on my g502 right now and it feels....good. It was certainly worth my 50 dollars.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I'm on my g502 right now and it feels....good. It was certainly worth my 50 dollars.
The G502 is not the perfect mouse for everyone, but it's a good mouse for anyone.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 13, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Let's not get crazy here. It's a good mouse, but its flaws are ponderous and significant.

It's heavy. I'm saying it's a loving brick.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Let's not get crazy here. It's a good mouse, but its flaws are ponderous and significant.

It's heavy. I'm saying it's a loving brick.

No doubt, even devoid of its weights, it's heavy. I don't even use them. It's fine as is, personally.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

The G502 does.

It’s not great though. Just hitting middle mouse is often enough to make trigger the horizontal button too. I turned those buttons off after a week.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

skooma512 posted:

It’s not great though. Just hitting middle mouse is often enough to make trigger the horizontal button too. I turned those buttons off after a week.

I haven't had mine do that. I have to hit it at an angle to do both horizontal scrolling and middle mouse button at the same time.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I got a G403 about a month ago and I'm pretty disappointed. It's a great mouse all around except for 2 things:

* My thumb has already worn through the rubber side of it. There is a chunk missing.
* The drat lighting settings won't stay. I've tried every recommendation for toggling whether they are kept in mouse memory, and nothing works.

Goo
Aug 30, 2002

Hello Drippy

headcase posted:

I got a G403 about a month ago and I'm pretty disappointed. It's a great mouse all around except for 2 things:

* My thumb has already worn through the rubber side of it. There is a chunk missing.
* The drat lighting settings won't stay. I've tried every recommendation for toggling whether they are kept in mouse memory, and nothing works.

Neither of those things should be happening. Please contact Customer Care, create a case, and PM me your ticket number.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

Neither of those things should be happening. Please contact Customer Care, create a case, and PM me your ticket number.

I will tonight. I started to this afternoon, but want to take a picture (at home).

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Now that I'm living the dongle life on a new Mac, any recommendations for a laptop mouse?

- Bluetooth that is actually reliable
- Side front/back buttons, scroll wheel with button
- Decent battery life
- Small(er) form factor
- Price really doesn't matter too much
- Bonus points for being able to move on glass but not a requirement at all

Am I asking for too much? So far I've used Logitech for all of my mice (coming from an M325 now) but if there any better options out there, I'm all ears.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EconOutlines posted:

Now that I'm living the dongle life on a new Mac, any recommendations for a laptop mouse?

- Bluetooth that is actually reliable
- Side front/back buttons, scroll wheel with button
- Decent battery life
- Small(er) form factor
- Price really doesn't matter too much
- Bonus points for being able to move on glass but not a requirement at all

Am I asking for too much? So far I've used Logitech for all of my mice (coming from an M325 now) but if there any better options out there, I'm all ears.

Sounds like the MX Anywhere 2 ticks literally all those boxes.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Goo posted:

I got notification from Customer Care that they are replacing it. Always a pleasure working with Logitech. It will be interesting to see if this one just had a weak spot on it. I do use the thumb buttons quite a bit while I'm playing Overwatch for ~2 hours per day.

The funny thing is that thumb wear was supposed to be an issue with my previous steel series rival, but I never had a problem with it over 2 years.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Still trying to get my $69.99 credit from Razer support I was promised a month ago for the product I returned a month and a half ago.

Never buy Razer.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deviant posted:

Still trying to get my $69.99 credit from Razer support I was promised a month ago for the product I returned a month and a half ago.

Never buy Razer.

Bitch at the Twitter account. My last Razer mouse I had I was waiting for weeks for an RMA replacement. After contacting the social media person it got expedited.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Bitch at the Twitter account. My last Razer mouse I had I was waiting for weeks for an RMA replacement. After contacting the social media person it got expedited.

We'll see. I'm not even sure what other poo poo-tastic product I'd buy with a $69.99 credit except maybe a gift for someone I hate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deviant posted:

We'll see. I'm not even sure what other poo poo-tastic product I'd buy with a $69.99 credit except maybe a gift for someone I hate.

No doubt. I was already done with Razer stuff by then. When I finally did get the RMA replacement, I just gave it away to someone that needed a “working” mouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deviant posted:

I liked their XBox 360 controller I was using for a while.