Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i maen on the one hand the dude's made some dumb tweets but on the other hand people twisting his words into him being an insane kkk member is kind of hosed up too

like when he said 'saying white people should make games about black people is basically saying minorities don't have it in them to make games on their own, ive donated money to upstart indian and african game dev companies and stuff' and polygon ran with 'INSANE RACIST SAYS MINORITIES DONT HAVE IT IN THEM TO MAKE GAMES ON THEIR OWN'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

That's a bad example because that's a funny joke.

(Also I liked Black Knight as a kid no I am never rewatching it)

Mordja fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 13, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm just gonna copypasta my post in the GB thread about KCD

quote:

I'm sympathetic to the view, to a point. You look at stuff like Assassin's Creed and the historical stuff fell such to the wayside that it got just fuckin' ridiculous, but when they get it right with stuff like Origins it's something unique to videogames in being able to explore a historical space that, barring the invention of time travel, would be completely inaccessible as something to really interact with outside of like... Ren Faire or a hands-on museum like the Samurai Museum in Japan that lets you hold swords and play dressup and stuff. Yeah, there weren't really a lot of PoC in Bohemia at the time, whatever - I mean, hey, Witcher 3 caught some flak for a game that's largely allegorical to Poland's struggles as an occupied country (only independent since 1989, fyi) and is 99% "white," but you go to a place like Britain and they're commonly treated and percieved how white Americans see Latino and Mexican people, as lazy and thieves.

The face of the developers of KC:D has certainly handled this real fuckin' poorly, for sure. On the other hand you have stuff like medievalpoc which will fall back on real shaky sources, share outright conspiracy theories, and what not to try and fluff up a picture of history that isn't close to accurate, by their arguments Vinny would be conisdered a PoC or poo poo like what happened with Witcher 3 and the guy with Polish descent living in New Jersey who got a huge pop for saying that Slavic folklore "doesn't really exist" after the Soviets did their best to lock it up and destroy as much culture and history as possible in order to absorb people into the Soviet identity, and that poo poo fuckin' sucks. In other words it's a really stupid fight that boils down to "ah, you coulda thrown in a couple PoC characters here or there to be accurate to history, and the stuff around women isn't really great or accurate all," but beyond that with so many games jumping on diversity in a lot of great ways I don't really think it's worth getting too worked up about any one game, as there's like a dozen coming out every day.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:thunk:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The roller coaster continues

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The internet was a mistake. I want to go back to an era where I didn't know my favorite creators were piles of poo poo until they had their self insert turn to the camera and say "men are light and women are void."

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

The internet was a mistake. I want to go back to an era where I didn't know my favorite creators were piles of poo poo until they had their self insert turn to the camera and say "men are light and women are void."

i think it's good that we live in a world where everyone can be easily made aware of how doug tennapel is a massive piece of literal garbage

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

I'm just gonna copypasta my post in the GB thread about KCD
yeah thats basically accurate. dude seems real dense and defensive but at the same time with some of the poo poo people have said about him i cant blame him for being a little defensive, at least to a point. and he isnt even saying there werent any black people in europe, if you read some interviews with him and stuff he's pretty clear that 'there were definitely black people in europe just not the part of europe where this game takes place because it takes place in the backwoods of bohemia.' there's some fair responses to that statement like 'why did you choose to set it there' and 'i mean the game has a bunch of weird janky glitches i dont think dudes in bohemia were clipping through the floor so whats one black guy gonna do' but at the same time i dont think just immediately declaring him a member of the KKK helps anyone.

imo theres a real shady trend in both culture in general and especially games culture, and ive been guilty of this myself, where every game has either be a holy woke tablet sanctified by popes obama, clinton, and the ghost of mlk or its literally possessed by the ghost of adolf hitler, instead of there being more nuance than that. you can see this in both how people react to certain games (a lot of people wanted persona 5 to be some massive anti-conservative screed even though its a game made by a bunch of 50 year old japanese centrists whose most vivid childhood memory is pissing themselves in terror when a gay comedian made a joke about gay bars in 1983) and how people react to the discourse surrounding games (if you criticize wolfenstein 2 on literally any level you're a nazi because the game is anti-nazi so if you're anti-wolfenstein 2 you're pro nazi) when obviously as works of art they have far more nuance than that. not to say that dumb as gently caress/woke as gently caress games dont exist but i think rushing to declare one thing as one thing forever is a good call.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

on right hand: the sentiment is whiny as gently caress and stupid but i dont necessarily disagree that some people use those kinds of criticisms to tear down anything theyve decided they dont like while making massive amounts of excuses for anything they do like, even if i doubt thats what he means

on the other hand: that shirt should be burned

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
That shirt might be the greatest self own of the decade

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tap my mountain posted:

That shirt might be the greatest self own of the decade
his beard is right there yet you still say this

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

i maen on the one hand the dude's made some dumb tweets but on the other hand people twisting his words into him being an insane kkk member is kind of hosed up too

He was at some point posting/retweeting group photos from a white supremacist group meetup so I don't think its really twisting words.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

his beard is right there yet you still say this

His beard owns actually, even if he doesn't

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

He was at some point posting/retweeting group photos from a white supremacist group meetup so I don't think its really twisting words.

i mean i was just going off of the statements about black people in his game and that one black knight tweet if theres more to this story than fair,

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If it really is Skyrim but in non-fantasy 14th century Germany I will probably get it when it's like $5 on steam and I won't be contributing much to his income

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

with medievalpoc on one side and that guy on the other, i kind of want them both to gently caress off

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stexils posted:

with medievalpoc on one side and that guy on the other, i kind of want them both to gently caress off
the only morally correct opinion

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

Going from never having heard of it to being excited to being disgusted within an hour, what a roller coaster of emotions

I think the fastest this has happened to me was that cyberpunk pixel indie game from the last E3. I - and most people - thought it had a nice thing going on and not even 10 minutes later the synopsis was revealed and oh boy.

(It was a dystopia where Politically Correct went too far)

Endorph posted:

on the other hand: that shirt should be burned

With him inside.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pc gaming is very rascist

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The fastest I've gone to not caring about a game is the second that the article says that the interesting Japanese game I didn't know about until I clicked the link is a mobile game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

The fastest I've gone to not caring about a game is the second that the article says that the interesting Japanese game I didn't know about until I clicked the link is a mobile game.

the only mobile game i'll ever possibly play is million onion hotel cause it's by the chulip guy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stexils posted:

I mean medievalpoc posts art I've never seen before.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

time to admit it, i'm a RAcast

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is every game gonna be associated with a nazi now

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the best mobile game that's not Neko Atsume

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

The Japanese ones will be associated with people who think Japan did nothing wrong in WW2, instead of with people who think Germany did nothing wrong in WW2

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

Considering a good chunk of modern Nazis came out of gaming circles, it's not that surprising.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the best mobile game that's not Neko Atsume
get on the japanese store and download the anime girl baseball game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

The Japanese ones will be associated with people who think Japan did nothing wrong in WW2, instead of with people who think Germany did nothing wrong in WW2
shadow hearts has a scene where the party learns that the main villain is going to nuke japan and their response is 'wait, but he might hit china while he's nuking japan!'

game rules

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

cheetah7071 posted:

His beard owns actually, even if he doesn't

owns what, a years' worth of crumbs

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

But enough about Dragon Quest

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

homeless snail posted:

time to admit it, i'm a RAcast

cast cosmetic options suuuuuuuuuck

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

owns what, a years' worth of crumbs

beards are good sorry you're wrong about this

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

But enough about Dragon Quest

are there any insane xenophobic people involved with dragon quest other than the composer

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
nah just Koichi Sugiyama iirc

cheetah7071 posted:

beards are good sorry you're wrong about this
they extremely loving don't and that guy and his beard suck complete poo poo

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

The Colonel posted:

are there any insane xenophobic people involved with dragon quest other than the composer

the player :smug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
By the way, head's up everyone, EA's giving away Dead Space here: https://www.origin.com/can/en-us/store/dead-space/dead-space/standard-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

• Locked thread