Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL

Mind_Taker posted:

Did Ottawa...win a trade?

Taking away Guy Boucher's ability to put Nate Thompson on the ice makes it a clear win, even before factoring in that they've also lost Phaneuf.

Now trade Ceci and this team might look decent next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
OTT apparently saves 4 mil in real money. So there it is.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

Drew Shore is playing in Switzerland and Gaborik has all of 14 points this season. Also, Ottawa's retaining a lot of salary.

LA gave up Nick Shore, Drew Shore that the Canucks had for a bit is his brother though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah, cap wise with 25% retained the savings swapping Phaneuf for Gaborik is $375k.

But there's some real money difference and Ottawa is the eternal punchline.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Nate Thompson is a good answer in the ‘that player is still in the NHL?!?’ pool

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I wouldn't go that far, they gave up the best player in it, but they didn't immediately lose I guess?

That’s quite the indictment of the other pieces if Phaneuf is the best player in a trade.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Aphrodite posted:

They also beat Boston, team 2 of 31, a few days ago with the same circumstances.

Boston had Rask in goal which made that victory even sweeter

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
kind of wild that that would have been a blockbuster 10 years ago and now its just sort of "meh"

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

ThinkTank posted:

LA gave up Nick Shore, Drew Shore that the Canucks had for a bit is his brother though

I see. He sucks as well

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

That’s quite the indictment of the other pieces if Phaneuf is the best player in a trade.

Two abject spare parts, one washed up scorer and a washed up defenceman. It's hardly a blockbuster except for the salaries involved.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

A Typical Goon posted:

Nate Thompson is a good answer in the ‘that player is still in the NHL?!?’ pool

I don't even know who that is to begin with.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
nhl trades are so stupid

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
I'd be hard-pressed to say Phaneuf is the best player in the trade. He's got a -6.5% rel CF on one of the worst possession teams in the NHL. He's also very slow.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I guess Blake figures Phaneuf can still play while Shore is depth and Gabby has been fuckin scratched because several young Kings forwards are being given a shot and Carter will eventually come back.

Can Phaneuf still play in the NHL?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Two abject spare parts, one washed up scorer and a washed up defenceman. It's hardly a blockbuster except for the salaries involved.

I just don’t get it from LA’s perspective. Ottawa saves money so it makes sense for them given their stupid constraints, but does LA really need a bad defenseman and a sub-replacement level forward? Their defense is already fine and they need scoring.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
If Phaneuf’s contract can be moved twice, there’s no excuse for how few trades there have been

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

The Dirty Burger posted:

If Phaneuf’s contract can be moved twice, there’s no excuse for how few trades there have been

i'll give you a hint: it starts with c and rhymes with illusion

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you're on the playoff bubble you have to have some imagination and i'd rather have gaborik healthy in the playoffs than pay a million more for phaneuf to be bottom line grit. shore and thompson are both bottom 6 grinders but shore is better defensively so they get worse there. i dunno. i thought the new kings coach was supposed to be less about hard systems and veterans.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Ottawa is not very deep at forward, and are tied for 28th in the league in goals for. Gaborik only has 14 points this year, but that puts him on their third line. Gabby's seven goals would tie him for 6th on the Senators.

His legs are literally held together by athletic tape, but he can probably still improve the Sens depth scoring.

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK
So my wife really wants a MAF jersey that's half Penguins and half Golden Knights. Does anyone know anywhere online that makes / sells these things? Or do I need to buy the jerseys and find a local person to make it?

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/963613146828165120

The Budget

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Matt Zerella posted:

Ding ding ding dollar store eugene strikes again

Edit He really is the villainous owner from Major League isnt he

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

So my wife really wants a MAF jersey that's half Penguins and half Golden Knights. Does anyone know anywhere online that makes / sells these things? Or do I need to buy the jerseys and find a local person to make it?

:sever:

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
loving FINALLY WE HAVE A TEAM IN SEATTLE

I only need to like one NHL team from now own! Thank god I'm free.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

x2

Then SEW

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I moved to the PNW and several months later we’re almost assured a Seattle NHL team. You’re welcome, everyone.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

i am the bird posted:

I moved to the PNW and several months later we’re almost assured a Seattle NHL team. You’re welcome, everyone.

Move to Mexico City next please tia

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Gaborik may also retire before the end of his contract - the last two years are less salary and this one was structured to avoid cap recapture rules. He turns 36 tomorrow. I could see him retiring after next year and leaving that last $6m of his $100m in NHL contracts on the table to play in Europe with fewer games (since he's injured for 30 per year anyway.)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Oswald Kesselpot posted:

Lmao you're going to get the other frankenjersey

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
hey melnyk I bet you can save even more money by just not owning a hockey team have you ever thought of that?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Levitate posted:

hey melnyk I bet you can save even more money by just not owning a hockey team have you ever thought of that?

gently caress JEFFREY LORIA

well not the same guy but hes acting a lot like that gently caress

They even look alike too :spooky:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
Sens fans are understandably jittery:

https://twitter.com/ErikKarlsson65/status/963619610502328320
https://twitter.com/ErikKarlsson65/status/963621563517022209

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
As if I need further reasons to hate Phaneuf.

Who am I kidding I can always use more reasons.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
the rangers lost, which is Good

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Erik Karlsson is going to the LA Kings. Ignite the trade proposal websites!

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I haven't paid enough attention to rumors this year. I heard a few podcasts speculating on Ottawa trading Karlsson. What are the odds that's actually happening

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

I haven't paid enough attention to rumors this year. I heard a few podcasts speculating on Ottawa trading Karlsson. What are the odds that's actually happening

Low.

They’re not that competent, they’ll lose him to free agency.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I can’t believe that someone traded for Phaneuf in 2018. Or that the Leafs got out of that deal without retaining salary (gently caress Dave Nonis forever still).

Also is this the time of year that the Sabres start playing spoiler really well and giving their fans false hope, while the players and media spout endless quotes about how important these wins are for the team without realizing what a hard self-own that is?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

hifi posted:

if you're on the playoff bubble you have to have some imagination and i'd rather have gaborik healthy in the playoffs than pay a million more for phaneuf to be bottom line grit. shore and thompson are both bottom 6 grinders but shore is better defensively so they get worse there. i dunno. i thought the new kings coach was supposed to be less about hard systems and veterans.
People make fun of ‘grit and heart’ and poo poo but you can get away with so much clutching and grabbing in the playoffs that it made Roman Polak look like an effective player. That kind of no skill high minutes defenceman might be more valuable in the playoffs than a 3rd/4th line skill guy who will get completely erased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

abuse culture. posted:

People make fun of ‘grit and heart’ and poo poo but you can get away with so much clutching and grabbing in the playoffs that it made Roman Polak look like an effective player. That kind of no skill high minutes defenceman might be more valuable in the playoffs than a 3rd/4th line skill guy who will get completely erased.

If Phaneuf were playing for Polak's price tag, or at least close to it, that would be an easier sell. But he only has 10 more points despite making 7MM, Polak makes 1.1 MM and is a UFA.

I would, no joke, rather have Polak. And I think he stinks.

• Locked thread