Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Can I ask where Adelaide went?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Reality Loser posted:

Whats the lore behind Kirby's golf

It's literally Dreamland 1 retold

Only did you know it introduces Kirby's relative Keeby?

When Kirby was first pitched he was a placeholder graphic. A drawing on a napkin. But Miyamoto took a shine to it due to how easy it was to draw and asked Sakurai to keep it. The problem then came that nobody knew what color he was supposed to be. Miyamoto and Sakurai actually fought about it at this point- Sakurai wanted pink and Miyamoto wanted yellow. The game was about to come out and the artist didn't know which to go with so that's why he's white on the first boxart.

By the time Dream Course came out they needed two colors so as a playful nod to the dispute P2 was made yellow and is referred to by that name.

Keeby has never been referred to again v:v:v

The Lobster posted:

Can I ask where Adelaide went?

Hangs out with Kirby and the rest of the artists on Tuesdays

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 14, 2018

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Owlboy is cute, but something feels 'off' about the controls to me. There's this weird distinction between walking and flying that feels completely superfluous, and some actions transition from walking-mode to flying-mode automatically and some don't. The game seems like it would be way smoother if it was just flying all the time, in the style of good ol' Aquaria.

Edit: Also, the day-night cycle thing is just eye-squintingly annoying, since it seems like it mostly just turns the brightness down instead of actually doing anything interesting. Compare to Shantae's "night" stages, which play with the palettes and backgrounds but don't just make things dimmer.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Feb 14, 2018

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i honestly didn't expect a game series featuring a smiling pink cloud - whose major characteristic are eating and being cute - has a warhammer 40k grimdark storyline

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

I just noticed that next year is the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros franchise. :psyduck:

I’m old as poo poo.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i guess i missed the direct

any mention of a TTYD HD release for the Switch?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pug Rodeo posted:

I just noticed that next year is the 20th anniversary of the Smash Bros franchise. :psyduck:

I’m old as poo poo.

Man, I remember ordering the import version of the original back before NOA decided to bring the game over.

Japanese version of N64 Smash had better sound effects than the American version.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

the fight against zero in kdl3 is probably peak "wtf kirby" and actually scared me the first time i played through the game when it first came out

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
This is a stupid question but you can swap game cartridges while on the home screen right? You don't need to completely power down the Switch?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pug Rodeo posted:

I’m old as poo poo.

how does the smash bros series tie into kirby lore?

Also is there like, a decent video series covering the lore? I would be down to watch that since I kinda don't have the time to play two dozen odd Kirby games right now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SatansBestBuddy posted:

how does the smash bros series tie into kirby lore?

Also is there like, a decent video series covering the lore? I would be down to watch that since I kinda don't have the time to play two dozen odd Kirby games right now.

Master and Crazy Hand live in dreamland and they're assholes.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Feb 14, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Starsnostars posted:

This is a stupid question but you can swap game cartridges while on the home screen right? You don't need to completely power down the Switch?

Yeah it doesn't care

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another big get for the Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V-BP2QrMHo

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Robobot was probably one of the best games nintendo released and this is it's follow up so fans like me are hoping it lives up to it.

Ever or just as a Kirby game because if it's the former... well I may just dust off the ole 3DS for it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Splatoon is quietly hosed up too. This a storytelling thing because it's Japan or Nintendo is just Nintendo?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LethalGeek posted:

Splatoon is quietly hosed up too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PoKeMoN is inSaNeLY DaRK. U eVR thINk thAT Ur SlaVinG PoKES?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

PoKeMoN is inSaNeLY DaRK. U eVR thINk thAT Ur SlaVinG PoKES?

2l33t4me

I think the pokemon world makes no sense at all on any level and also that Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy are just types of pokemon

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Switch February is saved! Bayonettas and Feb 22 this gem
https://youtu.be/PE1yU2sPAzk

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I am liking Owlboy a lot, 1 hour in...

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope Kirby's animal friends come back someday

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

DLC Inc posted:

I hope Kirby's animal friends come back someday

They do on the Clean ability in Star Allies!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Switch February is saved! Bayonettas and Feb 22 this gem
https://youtu.be/PE1yU2sPAzk

It's no Odell Down Under, but it'll do.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Feenix posted:

I am liking Owlboy a lot, 1 hour in...

I liked the first three hours. I hated the hours after that so much I stopped playing. I can’t remember the last time I started to actively hate a game so much I did not want to keep playing. (This was on PC).

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

anybody know if Fifa 18 on switch is a straight port or a step down from the full version? its hard to tell from screenshots

afaik I've already played it on origin access for like £5 but it'll be something to keep in mind for Fifa 19 if its an actual port.
every year or two I go through the career mode on those as Barnet, the terrible football team i used to go see as a kid and get them from league 2 to the premier league and beyond

fifa manager career is secretly one of the best strategy rpgs around but none of the systems make sense (the best way to level up players is to send them on loan then immediately cancel them until they come back with a specific phrase under the name for example) if EA gave a poo poo they'd have an really, really good game on their hands but I guess the lootbox mode makes so much money they dont give a poo poo about much else anymore.
picking a dogshit team, firing everyone and replacing them with randomly generated minimum wage 15 year olds who gradually become world superstars rules.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

They did release a dreamland historia of sorts a handful of years back actually :v:
But it's only in Japanese, is pretty rare and not a lot of scans or anything are kicking about.

Has fun facts though :v:v

He kinda laid off him recently. Triple Deluxe was his cousin that was made specifically to kill him, Robobot he was brainwashed into a murder tree that shot drills bombs and more at him and Star Allies the tree is possessed

For some reason

Shin-Whispy

Isn't the thing affecting Dreamland this time is what Kirby does this game to make friends except on a greater scale? I thought that was the reason along with Dedede going swole.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Pretty sure it's scaled down from the other versions. Like Fifa 16 reskinned with updated rosters.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of Bayonetta how does the Switch unlock stuff? Timer that ends at midnight like the PS4 does or does somebody need to flip a switch and it'll be locked just At Some Point on friday?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

With Bayonetta it should be available to play at midnight in your local primary timezone if you pre-loaded it off the eShop. If you're in the US, this is Midnight Eastern time (so 9pm Pacific). If you're in Europe, I think it unlocks at midnight Central European time if you live in that region, or midnight GMT if you live in UK or Ireland.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Pierson posted:

Speaking of Bayonetta how does the Switch unlock stuff? Timer that ends at midnight like the PS4 does or does somebody need to flip a switch and it'll be locked just At Some Point on friday?

Usually preloads come out midnight EST, yeah. Non-preloadable games go on the eshop at noon EST.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is bayo out thurs or fri?

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Real hurthling! posted:

Is bayo out thurs or fri?

Fridayonetta

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Starsnostars posted:

Just close the game, not just go to the home screen, before you swap it out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

goferchan posted:

Usually preloads come out midnight EST, yeah. Non-preloadable games go on the eshop at noon EST.

Hopefully Bayo is big enough to warrant this.

Dandara was a preload and did not come out until 10am day-of.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not Operator posted:

Fridayonetta

I'm so crazy excited.
If they deliver it on the normal schedule, I'll have it for 8 hours before seeing Black Panther!

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Feenix posted:

Hopefully Bayo is big enough to warrant this.

Dandara was a preload and did not come out until 10am day-of.

Nintendo published games have almost always been at midnight with the eshop.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 14, 2018

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If it's available for pre-purchase/pre-load (which Bayo is), it's almost certainly going to be available to play at midnight.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Let the Switch cool completely after removing from the oven before handling to remove the cartridge.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ColdPie posted:

Let the Switch cool completely after removing from the oven before handling to remove the cartridge.

Keep in mind that you have to use a regular oven. The matte coating doesn’t respond well to microwaves. Unfortunately this also prevents you from using your microwave oven to recharge the battery like you can with your iPhone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

• Locked thread