Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

my kinda ape posted:

My friend pointed out that maybe they're not exactly aiming to hit him but they gotta look like they're trying for some officer.

On the other hand the Saudis are basically the definition of evil+incompetent so...

If they’re aiming to miss they’re doing an admirable job of not dming that dude on purpose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
That poo poo looks like John Matrix running though a storm of lovely 80s squibs

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Been reading Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory for my master's, and hoo boy WW1 propaganda sure was something else:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Feb 12, 2018

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Missionary Positron posted:

Been reading Fussell's The Great War and Modern Memory for my master's, and hoo boy WW1 propaganda sure was something else:

I just finished listening to the 18 hour long Hardcore History series on WWI and lmao

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Missionary Positron posted:

That sounds like the kinda poo poo you tell your mom and other family so they doesn't worry as much.

"No mom, don't worry if I get sent to Iraq. Officers don't kick in doors so they rarely get hurt."- a thing I told my mom when I was going to Ft.Knox for ROTC stuff and she kept endlessly bugging out over it.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

That sounds like the kinda poo poo you tell your mom and other family so they doesn't worry as much.

"No mom, don't worry if I get sent to Iraq. Officers don't kick in doors so they rarely get hurt."- a thing I told my mom when I was going to Ft.Knox for ROTC stuff and she kept endlessly bugging out over it.

Same lol. “Don’t worry I’m a forward observer. I’ll be behind everyone else talking on a radio.”

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Brown Moses posted:

Our latest open source investigation technique, using blood stains on satellite imagery to geolocate mass executions:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/960979000733716480
https://twitter.com/iBRABO_com/status/955880592993935360

I think Bellingcat may have been the first group to do this with the Werfalli executions in Libya.

This is grim but, from the perspective of a spatial professional, really cool. Have you done much with spectral analysis for other projects, or just visual identification from satellite imagery?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Luceid posted:

This is grim but, from the perspective of a spatial professional, really cool. Have you done much with spectral analysis for other projects, or just visual identification from satellite imagery?

Just stuff from commercial images, we haven't got a massive budget, so it limits what we can do. Fortunately Planet Labs has given us a free account, so that's 3m resolution satellite imagery from pretty much the entire world on a daily basis, sometimes multiple times a day. That's good for looking at environmental damage on a large scale. Examples of that are our pieces on the damage from Hurricane Harvey and monitoring the Amulsar Armenian Gold Mine Project, which we believe is a massive environmental disaster waiting to happen.

For higher resolution imagery Terraserver is pretty reasonable, it's about $299 a year, and usually had imagery that's pretty up to date, generally a month old, but sometime just a couple of weeks. The issue there is getting licensing to use the imagery is an extra cost, but all the imagery is from Digital Globe, and they've been very generous with allowing us to use image. We've also been giving some presentations at the satellite imagery events organisations like European Space Imagery runs, so instead of cash we get paid in satellite imagery credit.

There's a good article here about commercial satellite imagery, lots of info on the various limitations set by governments.

Some interesting things recently caught on satellite imagery:

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/960911834193817600
https://twitter.com/trbrtc/status/961918579410178048

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/960911834193817600

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 13, 2018

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
How did they create that zigzag? Just do it with a jackhammer? I know its probably a dumb question but I just realized I have no idea how a military unit would actually destroy a runway besides making a few big craters.

FlyingCowOfDoom fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 14, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

How did they create that zigzag? Just do it with a jackhammer? I know its probably a dumb question but I just realized I have no idea how a military unit would actually destroy a runway besides making a few big craters.

Depending on the aircraft that use the field, a few good craters can knock it out of commission pretty effectively. Lighter aircraft, they can maybe just bulldoze the rubble back in and pave over it. But for heavies, that's not gonna cut it.

I'm guessing the zigzag was caused by construction equipment.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

The Chicago PD probably has some tips

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

shame on an IGA posted:

I appreciate this

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

RIP Meigs Field. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Just read up on that, and they even used federal airport improvement money to do it. The utter balls on that jackass.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Line charges I would guess

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVwa-b7MWaQ

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I am always lol’ing at these guys spending all that time repairing their runways after a bombing when the things are surrounded by GRASS they could just use to take off like in the old days. Their Air Force grandpas are rolling in their graves right now smdh.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Can't the A-10 use dirt airfields?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Thankfully the Marines insisted on the F-35B so they never have to worry about that scenario

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Can't the A-10 use dirt airfields?

Depends on terrain, so "sometimes."

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am always lol’ing at these guys spending all that time repairing their runways after a bombing when the things are surrounded by GRASS they could just use to take off like in the old days. Their Air Force grandpas are rolling in their graves right now smdh.

A bad idea for most modern combat jets.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

let me tell you what happens to grass when multiple vehicles use it over and over

hint: it ends up looking like ur mom's pussy after last nights gangbang

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Just put the flaps down 10 degrees and be a man.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Advice that also applies to your mom's pussy.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
For his mom to generate enough lift, ten degreed ain’t gonna cut it.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

Depending on the aircraft that use the field, a few good craters can knock it out of commission pretty effectively. Lighter aircraft, they can maybe just bulldoze the rubble back in and pave over it. But for heavies, that's not gonna cut it.

I'm guessing the zigzag was caused by construction equipment.

It's actually the opposite in regards to what planes could use that runway. Your typical heavies (17/130's) shouldn't have much of a problem going over those repaired trenches. Those planes were designed to operate off of dirt strips. The CE guys operating at the base will just have to inspect the runway every 10 passes or so.

Fighters, on the other hand, are the prissy divas when it comes to runways. In order for a fighter to be able to make a pass over a runway repair, the repair has to be almost perfectly flat (and perfectly flat when repairs are close to each other, like this one is). I think the tolerance is something like less that 1/2" of vertical variance over the entire repair. Fighters aren't ever landing there again without a full runway repair, but I bet 130's could land shortly thereafter.

The Air Force just did a similar repair out at Qayyarah-West in Iraq a year or two ago. ISIS had hosed up the runway in a similar fashion, but forgot about the parallel taxiway. So we landed a C-130 on that with some skid steers, and started pushing the dirt piles back into the trenches. Within two weeks, that airfield was fully operational again.

http://www.afcent.af.mil/News/Article/985022/air-force-engineers-restore-q-west-to-support-mosul-offensive/

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Funny enough, the AF uses those things as part of their runway repair package.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

pkells posted:

It's actually the opposite in regards to what planes could use that runway. Your typical heavies (17/130's) shouldn't have much of a problem going over those repaired trenches. Those planes were designed to operate off of dirt strips. The CE guys operating at the base will just have to inspect the runway every 10 passes or so.

Fighters, on the other hand, are the prissy divas when it comes to runways. In order for a fighter to be able to make a pass over a runway repair, the repair has to be almost perfectly flat (and perfectly flat when repairs are close to each other, like this one is). I think the tolerance is something like less that 1/2" of vertical variance over the entire repair. Fighters aren't ever landing there again without a full runway repair, but I bet 130's could land shortly thereafter.

The Air Force just did a similar repair out at Qayyarah-West in Iraq a year or two ago. ISIS had hosed up the runway in a similar fashion, but forgot about the parallel taxiway. So we landed a C-130 on that with some skid steers, and started pushing the dirt piles back into the trenches. Within two weeks, that airfield was fully operational again.

http://www.afcent.af.mil/News/Article/985022/air-force-engineers-restore-q-west-to-support-mosul-offensive/

130s are a special breed. I was thinking BUFFs and C-5s. They're crushing any half-assed repairs. Hell, in an AWACS we can't even use a lot of taxiways at first-world airports because they're not strong enough. The first time I learned that was when our pilot was arguing with Ground in Puerto Rico. Dirt/grass ain't gonna cut it.
You make a good point about vertical variance, but that's relatively simple to fix.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Richard Bong posted:

Same lol. “Don’t worry I’m a forward observer. I’ll be behind everyone else talking on a radio.”

Ha. 3 metres behind them!

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Godholio posted:

130s are a special breed. I was thinking BUFFs and C-5s. They're crushing any half-assed repairs. Hell, in an AWACS we can't even use a lot of taxiways at first-world airports because they're not strong enough. The first time I learned that was when our pilot was arguing with Ground in Puerto Rico. Dirt/grass ain't gonna cut it.
You make a good point about vertical variance, but that's relatively simple to fix.

Oh yeah, BUFFs are the worst, even moreso than the C5, and that’s due to the landing gear configuration.

The vertical variance for a 6’ trench like that is no big deal, but when you’ve got a 50’ crater filled back in with the rubble and whatever you can find and topped off with a folded fiberglass mat, that takes some skill. The heavy equipment operators have to be really good at their job.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

They had these things for train tracks in WW2

Happy Trains is not what they were actually called.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

aphid_licker posted:

They had these things for train tracks in WW2

Happy Trains is not what they were actually called.

The scale on that was screwing with me.

Speaking of railway sabotage, here's a classic video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agznZBiK_Bs

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The scale on that was screwing with me.

Same. For a moment I thought it was a derailing device you put on a track.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Same. For a moment I thought it was a derailing device you put on a track.

Is that not what it is? Like it rides the rails and rips them up behind it?

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

pkells posted:

Funny enough, the AF uses those things as part of their runway repair package.

Yep! Which is why I posted it in the first place :v: I worked on a system related to that whole process.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

Is that not what it is? Like it rides the rails and rips them up behind it?

Exactly. Full sized car you put behind the engine, you lower the hook under the rail ties and drive off ripping up the track. That looks like a scale model.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

With wacky WW2 poo poo it is usually much easier to find a pic of a model than a real one.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I feel like they saved a bit on weighing down their derailer's rear axis

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Frinkahedron posted:

Yep! Which is why I posted it in the first place :v: I worked on a system related to that whole process.

Cool- you at AFCEC? We got to try out the process at Silver Flag last summer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I feel like they saved a bit on weighing down their derailer's rear axis

The ground in that photo is probably frozen, they may have tested it only in warm soil conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing
It looks like it would get pulled down by the ties when breaking them anyway. As long as it hooks into the ties, it doesn't look like it would be a problem.