Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Britannia is somehow the most Empire-like of all the new games, at least until we see what Three Kingdoms looks like.

???

Anyway, I'm looking forward to ToB, more than I expected to. I've recently been playing Shogun II again and it's really making me appreciate a simplified game the AI can halfway handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
poo poo, you know what I'd like to see in ToB/RotTK? A toggle where a group moved in formation will all move at the speed of the slowest unit.

I'm playing Epirus DeI which has probably my favourite TW roster after you conquer Italy. The staple ezmode pike phalanx, decent archers or good if you cretans, solid cav, amazing skirmish cav in tarentines, good semi-roman italian sword infantry, and ELEPHANTS

But my eclectic mix of iconic RTW units advances in yakkety sax fashion, bc despite the entire formation being based on the central pike block, all the other units will pull way the gently caress ahead. So you have to inch forward and wait for the pikes to catch up instead of issuing the whole move at once unless you want your cav and lights to die stupidly because they're way far ahead of the main line,

Let me click a button that doesn't just mean "keep formation when you arrive" but "hold the drat formation while moving"

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
If you put all the units in a locked group they'll move at the same speed. It'd be cool to just have a setting to let any units you have selected together do that though, especially since CA's been seemingly moving more towards groups as command groups (for quick selection with hotkeys etc like in RTS) than as a way to hold a formation as the main focus in more recent games.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
I'd love to see more granularity for formation/group commands in the games. It would definitely be a nice addition with regards to quality of life. It could also spice things up, depending on the setting/available units and the extent of the options.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Britannia is somehow the most Empire-like of all the new games, at least until we see what Three Kingdoms looks like.

How so?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Koramei posted:

If you put all the units in a locked group they'll move at the same speed. It'd be cool to just have a setting to let any units you have selected together do that though, especially since CA's been seemingly moving more towards groups as command groups (for quick selection with hotkeys etc like in RTS) than as a way to hold a formation as the main focus in more recent games.

Yeah that's what I mean. In R2 you basically have to group the whole shebang to move your formation as a whole.

To be fair, Warhammer has gotten slightly better. Most noticeably imo, is ctrl +right/left. In Warhammer, that command wheels all selected units, in formation

In R2, it wheels each individual unit, which is... useless as gently caress?

Either game, pre wheel: ____________

WH, post wheel: __________ in the appropriate direction

R2, post wheel: /
/
/
/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

You're supposed to disband your units in Attila often since the upkeep starts out so high. Also the AI ought to be burning down everything Roman and taking their poo poo so idk what is going wrong.

I just found in Attila the AI just fled and never battled me, with the exception of if I was the romans, in which case you get some early battles then steamroller everyone or as the huns in which case rome will occasionally send lazy stacks after you (sometimes, the AI is terrible at managing Rome).
I remember people saying it was made as a "manage a falling empire" sim and that seems about right, I played as Western Rome and Eastern Rome when I last played and it was the first time I had a good campaign on it and pretty unique too.

Age of Charlamagne was okay, the avars are quite fun but I found the other rosters pretty boring and I'm a bit concerned because thats what Britannia looks like to me so far.
Some video I saw was like "well they can add in faction variety later, its still in pre-alpha" but its only 2 months away and this is Creative "Still havent added the Norscans to TWH2" Assembley.

e: fwiw I'm not expecting horse archers and stuff, just some clear dilineations between the factions Shogun 2 style.

also to be clear, I will buy it and all the DLC because Shogun 1 was the first game i ever beat and I've been hooked since then.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Feb 15, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Welsh and the Vikings should be pretty different at least.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovOIbnR9uvk

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Huh, followers replace skills but seem altogether both more freeform and more powerful?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Krazyface posted:

???

Anyway, I'm looking forward to ToB, more than I expected to. I've recently been playing Shogun II again and it's really making me appreciate a simplified game the AI can halfway handle.

I recently played Shogun II and the AI can't really handle that game at all in my experience, especially on the campaign map.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

This is moving back in that direction, but I still miss Medieval 2-style trait lists. The longer and wackier the better.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

NewMars posted:

Huh, followers replace skills but seem altogether both more freeform and more powerful?

From what little I've seen of it thus far, it looks like a move in a better direction. At this point, though, I tend to be pretty cautious with diving into TW games right away, so I'll be interested in seeing more.

I still think real diversity for unit rosters will be a bit tough to achieve, considering the period and factions involved, but I feel the narrower focus should help out in that regard.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tomn posted:

This is moving back in that direction, but I still miss Medieval 2-style trait lists. The longer and wackier the better.

They still get traits for doing things in the campaign, apparently.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

turn off the TV posted:

They still get traits for doing things in the campaign, apparently.

Yeah, like I said they're moving back in that direction, but I doubt we'll get the old-fashioned utterly absurd lists of traits from the past that added such character. They're more about keeping things controlled and not quite so much up to random chance and obscure hidden game mechanics now. Which is fair, don't get me wrong, but I miss the old days regardless.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fire Barrel posted:

From what little I've seen of it thus far, it looks like a move in a better direction. At this point, though, I tend to be pretty cautious with diving into TW games right away, so I'll be interested in seeing more.

I still think real diversity for unit rosters will be a bit tough to achieve, considering the period and factions involved, but I feel the narrower focus should help out in that regard.

The tabletop game Saga is set in basically the same era and region, and it did decent work distinguishing everyone. There is more difference between vikings and irish gaels than between feudal japanese and feudal japanese.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Tomn posted:

Yeah, like I said they're moving back in that direction, but I doubt we'll get the old-fashioned utterly absurd lists of traits from the past that added such character. They're more about keeping things controlled and not quite so much up to random chance and obscure hidden game mechanics now. Which is fair, don't get me wrong, but I miss the old days regardless.

I like the medieval 2 system also but with the exception of the "gotcha" traits like the ones you get for leaving somebody in a province with a tavern for a few turns. I prefer traits that come from actual actions like using assassins or recruiting particular units, stuff like that.

I really hope that after Three Kingdoms and Warhammer 3 we get a Medieval 3. I know the setting is kinda generic but I loved loving around with the cardinals and the Pope.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I just wish they would bring back the medieval 2 feature of unit upgrades being visible. I enjoyed seeing my militia with plate armor going up against another nations militia with rags.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

I like the medieval 2 system also but with the exception of the "gotcha" traits like the ones you get for leaving somebody in a province with a tavern for a few turns. I prefer traits that come from actual actions like using assassins or recruiting particular units, stuff like that.

I really hope that after Three Kingdoms and Warhammer 3 we get a Medieval 3. I know the setting is kinda generic but I loved loving around with the cardinals and the Pope.

Agreed. Although, I think having some traits which worsen skill such as governance or authority stemming from player inaction can be interesting. However, they seemed to occur a bit too frequently and felt a bit cheap/unearned. Not quite sure how you'd balance it out though.

As for their next historical game after Three Kingdoms, I think a Medieval 3 is a greater possibility than something like an Empire 2 or a proper pike and shot total war (which, at this point, seems very unlikely in my opinion). I'm sort of interested in Three Kingdoms, but I'd be lying if I said I'd jump to play Three Kingdoms Total War over something like RoTK X.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The tabletop game Saga is set in basically the same era and region, and it did decent work distinguishing everyone. There is more difference between vikings and irish gaels than between feudal japanese and feudal japanese.

I agree that it's possible. I just think that, even in a game with a narrower focus, considerable efforts need to be taken to ensure variety among armies while still remaining at least semi-historical. That said, I think that's one reason why a game with a smaller focus may help make this an easier task for the devs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd rather that, instead of doing Medieval 3 Total War, they do more stuff like Thrones of Britannia and focus on specific time frames. 100 Years Total War would be an awesome look at 14th Century Europe, while the Great Turkish War would be an amazing Early Modern setting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fire Barrel posted:

As for their next historical game after Three Kingdoms, I think a Medieval 3 is a greater possibility than something like an Empire 2 or a proper pike and shot total war (which, at this point, seems very unlikely in my opinion). I'm sort of interested in Three Kingdoms, but I'd be lying if I said I'd jump to play Three Kingdoms Total War over something like RoTK X.

Those two are very different games. RoTK X is an officer game, and as such is a poor point of comparison and becomes entirely taste based. I too prefer the officer game format, but sometimes the large army clashes of a Total War game make for a nice change of pace. As much as I like duelling and debating people off bridges/over cliffs, sometimes a big real time battle is what is needed. (Also X and XI are both turn based combat systems, so there's another issue with that comparison.)

For those unfamiliar to the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, and Koei's strategy games in genral, they have two scales: Force games, and Officer games. In a Force game, you command the whole side and all its officers more like a Total War but with more of a focus on character and city development. In an Officer game, you play as one dude and order other guys about or serve at the whims of a liege lord. For good officer games, RoTK X and XIII are there (XIII has major issues though, namely the debates and duels are awful) and for good Force games, try XI and anything on the PS1 and before.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
More Rome 2 dlc coming: "Desert Kingdoms", adding Kush, Nabatea, Saba and Numidia

http://store.steampowered.com/app/792520/Total_War_ROME_II__Desert_Kingdoms_Culture_Pack/
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-ii-desert-kingdoms

Also, free dlc:

quote:

Female Leaders – Free LC

Following in Zenobia’s footsteps, Cleopatra and Teuta are now fully playable as faction leaders and generals, along with custom visuals and voice-over.
Important female characters have been added to all campaigns and across all factions. In some cultures, like Rome and Greek – women can only serve a social/political role while in other women can be generals and fight alongside men.
For cultures where women can’t hold public offices there is a special “Cursus Honorum” path that follows the increase in “behind-the-stage” political influence of women.
There are special events (dilemmas) that portray the trials and tribulations associated with women coming to power in ancient times. Usually, there are traditions and prejudice standing in the way. Such events allow the player to recruit a female leader or gain some other bonuses from parties that would oppose such a decision.

Looking forward to seeing TWC's take :kiddo:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tomn posted:

I like how if you read into this right it depicts a guy who used to be chivalrous and honorable and then just went down a really dark path. Cue him becoming the Medieval equivalent of an evil overlord, complete with an order of assassins at his beck and call. :allears:

Also, holy poo poo. They're putting in actual female leaders and generals in Rome 2? TWC is probably going to flip it's poo poo!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

peer posted:

More Rome 2 dlc coming: "Desert Kingdoms", adding Kush, Nabatea, Saba and Numidia

http://store.steampowered.com/app/792520/Total_War_ROME_II__Desert_Kingdoms_Culture_Pack/
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war-rome-ii-desert-kingdoms

Also, free dlc:

Looking forward to seeing TWC's take :kiddo:

Livia is obviously the one behind this change.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat, another piece of content for RTW2? How successful was it in hindsight, or did Warhammer's success somehow fund all of this?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

toasterwarrior posted:

drat, another piece of content for RTW2? How successful was it in hindsight, or did Warhammer's success somehow fund all of this?

I think it's basically the success of Warhammer letting them do this kind of thing for a minimal cost and probably quite large return because enough people own Rome 2 and are now paying attention to the TW promotional cycle.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Saba, you're the realest of all the DLC factions.
"Really?"
No, I love that DANK KUSH!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Archonex posted:

I like how if you read into this right it depicts a guy who used to be chivalrous and honorable and then just went down a really dark path. Cue him becoming the Medieval equivalent of an evil overlord, complete with an order of assassins at his beck and call. :allears:

Also, holy poo poo. They're putting in actual female leaders and generals in Rome 2? TWC is probably going to flip it's poo poo!

Yeah, that's the reason why I loved those old crazy trait lists - the LP I got this from was able to craft a whole narrative around the skeleton the game provided. The newer directions don't have quite the same sense of personality.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Empires of Sand ruled for Attila, I'm excited for Desert Kingdoms. I've always wanted a proper Meroe or Axum! CA is really going on all cylinders here, this was a complete surprise.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Warhammer is any indication there will be about 20 “SEXIER CLEOPATRA” skins and at least one where she’s topless

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

John Charity Spring posted:

I think it's basically the success of Warhammer letting them do this kind of thing for a minimal cost and probably quite large return because enough people own Rome 2 and are now paying attention to the TW promotional cycle.

Rome 2 was also the last "real" historical TW game, Attila had a grand campaign and everything but it was more about survival than painting the map. It's been a long time and it will be even longer before another proper historical TW game comes out. Brittania will be small scale and Three Kingdoms will likely be heavily hero focused like Warhammer given the mythology of the time period. They want to hang on to the historical empire building crowd and DLC is a cheap way to do that.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
3 Kingdoms will be a historical title with aesthetics taken from the Romance novels/mythology.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, Age of Charlemagne is pretty historical, isn't it? It does away with the thematic apocalypse of Attila and the War Fatigue feature gives you some respite in drawn out conflicts.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You don't get it.

There is a real historical game than a "real" historical game.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I demind a period classical chinese interface or my immersion will be irreparably ruined

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I demind a period classical chinese interface or my immersion will be irreparably ruined

If the spergy historical mods for Three Kingdoms on TWC uses Wades-Giles because it "feels older" I'm gonna be so mad, you guys.

So mad.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, Age of Charlemagne is pretty historical, isn't it? It does away with the thematic apocalypse of Attila and the War Fatigue feature gives you some respite in drawn out conflicts.

I totally forgot about Age of Charlemagne, I never got around to buying it. It's fairly good though, isn't it? I seem to remember it being well received.

Third World Reggin posted:

You don't get it.

There is a real historical game than a "real" historical game.

"Real" in the sense of a standalone game with a grand campaign, that's all. Couldn't think of a good descriptor.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Laughs aside I don't think it's an unfair statement. Attila really is a different beast and Age of Charlemagne is so much more limited in scope (although DLC for that would be cool, come to think of it). We know jack poo poo about 3 Kingdoms but since it's not a European setting I can see CA keeping Rome 2 going for a while longer.

Anyway that announcement came out of nowhere, wow. I just picked up Empire Divided last week and am sorta ~eh~ about it, it's interesting and probably the best mini-campaign in terms of amount of content, but many of the features (cults especially) I could really take or leave, and the aesthetic choice of having all the leader portraits hilariously oversaturated is a bit offputting imo. What it got me to do that I really did like though was to play Rome 2 again--that politics patch is actually amazing and has turned the weakest part of the game into an actual strength.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tomn posted:

That's my boy right there :scotland:

Loved the trait lists, loved the family tree, so happy they seem to be pushing back in that direction :)

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Koramei posted:

Anyway that announcement came out of nowhere, wow. I just picked up Empire Divided last week and am sorta ~eh~ about it, it's interesting and probably the best mini-campaign in terms of amount of content, but many of the features (cults especially) I could really take or leave, and the aesthetic choice of having all the leader portraits hilariously oversaturated is a bit offputting imo. What it got me to do that I really did like though was to play Rome 2 again--that politics patch is actually amazing and has turned the weakest part of the game into an actual strength.

Did they add a way to make the battle advisor not pop up anymore without disabling all in-battle notifications entirely?

This is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tomn posted:

If the spergy historical mods for Three Kingdoms on TWC uses Wades-Giles because it "feels older" I'm gonna be so mad, you guys.

So mad.

Haha that's exactly what they're going to do (although I love stuff like "Ssŭma I")