Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Best scene is when Shepard asks Ronan if he's gay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Favourite moment from Atlantis:

What's this from?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
"Babysit this little poo poo of a princess" episode where McKay saves them from Wraith(?) and she has the moment painted. After McKay annoyed her entire episode prior to it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I think Ford was supposed to be comic relief because they forgot it was Stargate and every character gets their comedic moments every episode.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I still have a canvas print of this on my wall.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

And then she grew up and somehow got on the Raza in DarkMatter. I'm assuming the universes are connected and the Stargate episode was cannon.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Blasphemeral posted:

Ford's great!

Rocksicles posted:

Until he's not. Then he's a twat.

Yeah, I just watched the finale of the season 1-2 bridge 3-parter. gently caress rage-zombie Ford so hard, holy poo poo.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah it was a shame they made him addicted to space meth.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I've only seen up to season 2 but last night caught an episode where Sheppard plays poker in Vegas with a wraith and some people from the Sopranos and had no idea what the hell was going on.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

banned from Starbucks posted:

I've only seen up to season 2 but last night caught an episode where Sheppard plays poker in Vegas with a wraith and some people from the Sopranos and had no idea what the hell was going on.

Yeah in seasons 4 and 5 the show became more of a gritty crime drama set in Vegas, just wasn't the same tbh.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Zesty posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itqq9hzLapk

Definitely seeing Connor Trinneer in there.

Wonder if they actually did end up scrapping the television lore completely, alienating the entire fanbase. The original movie came out 24 years ago. I doubt there are still people looking back on it as the only true Stargate other than Devlin and Emmerich.

I've been out of the loop for a long time with Stargate. I always hoped for a new movie or show with the likeness of SG-1 and Atlantis. I must say, what the gently caress is this poo poo? 10 episodes of 10 minutes that creates a crappy movie when put together? For one, I'm not going to watch a single episode until all are released, and that's if the show doesn't get overwhelmingly bad reviews. I'm all for serialized plots, but from the sounds of it, having a cliff hanger every 10 minutes is stupid. Or just simply dicing up a 100 minute movie into 10 slices is stupid too.

The budget looks super cheap, as if they hired bunch of college students with no experience to come up with something using less than 7 figures.. The acting looks awful, as if none of the screen talent have ever had any experience. I really don't see how this won't tank hard.

e: I should mention that I understand this is just a web series, but this is still a kick in the nuts to most Stargate fans.

ijii fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Feb 7, 2018

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It looks like the cancellation of the Stargate program hit Dr. Beckett pretty hard if this week's episode of The Flash is any indication.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Isn't that like the penultimate epside?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ClassH posted:

And then she grew up and somehow got on the Raza in DarkMatter. I'm assuming the universes are connected and the Stargate episode was cannon.

Joe Mallozzi got on Reddit after a few Tikki drinks and said he wanted to cross them over.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

That's the penultimate episode of the show and it's terrible imho. But at least the last episode is actually good, though I wish they had continued the show beyond season 5. It seemed like they were setting up some new enemies for a post Wraith pegasus, that never really went anywhere.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Joe had a season 6 all planned out when it was canceled. He detailed his plans on his blog years back. Same with sg1 season 11.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CSI Atlantis is a great episode. Maybe not if you're not familiar with the CSI Miami type shows that were popular at the time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IRQ posted:

CSI Atlantis is a great episode. Maybe not if you're not familiar with the CSI Miami type shows that were popular at the time.

It's kind of crazy that there are no CSI shows on at all now after they were around for so many years.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's kind of crazy that there are no CSI shows on at all now after they were around for so many years.

It's all about the NCIS now.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Aleph Null posted:

It's all about the NCIS now.

Proof that even genres can get Flanderized.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

If I thought the first episode of Altered Carbon was kind of a slog and that Kinnerman is a black hole of charisma is it worth me persisting or is this about as good as it gets?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's worth persisting.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

I haven't yet seen it myself, but from my friendsphere I hear that old hats at sci-fi start to enjoy it about episode 4. They say it starts slow to ease in non-sci-fi junkies the normal folk.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You know, I was never certain what NCIS stood for until I looked it up... every episode of this seasons-long program is about crimes tied to the Navy and Marines? What the gently caress? How does that stay fresh? Is this just like, the civilian side of JAG? This sounds so ridiculously niche I don't understand how it's been spun off so many times for so long.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brawnfire posted:

You know, I was never certain what NCIS stood for until I looked it up... every episode of this seasons-long program is about crimes tied to the Navy and Marines? What the gently caress? How does that stay fresh? Is this just like, the civilian side of JAG? This sounds so ridiculously niche I don't understand how it's been spun off so many times for so long.

Old people. Old people like to watch the same poo poo over and over again.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
How are the latest seasons of ncis anyway? I quit watching when Ziva left

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Brawnfire posted:

I mean, they keep the stories as fresh as any crime procedural show, which is to say not especially. That being said, NCIS had* an amazing cast that had a lot of genuine chemistry for a long time, and the meta plot episodes had a lot more depth and continuity than other crime procedurals. Like I never found myself giving a poo poo about anyone on L&O or CSI but NCIS's characters are really endearing.

Also old people.

Jusupov posted:

How are the latest seasons of ncis anyway? I quit watching when Ziva left

Nooooot great. The replacement they brought in for her didn't do anything for me and after Tony left I stopped even bothering.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never really watched it mu h, but i quit cold turkey after Two Hackers, One Keyboard,

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So the first few episodes of Origins are out now

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Mu Zeta posted:

So the first few episodes of Origins are out now

Any impartial reviews or impressions?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm not signing up

e: actually it's really tempting. For a one time fee of $20 you can stream every episode of all the Stargate series and all 3 movies along with Origins. Presumably for as long as the service lasts.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Feb 15, 2018

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride
I'm on the fence too, but the price is right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Isn't this the service that had a "we have the right to determine what lifetime means" thing in their terms?

I know a guy with the the Atlantis gate tattooed on his back, I bet he subscribed.

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

I'm a firm believer that the gate always needs to be a physical prop so I was quite disappointed that it was not. The lighting on the drat ring itself is so glaringly off to me when the gate is active. Additionally I do not think the sound effects the gate makes needed to be changed or updated; those are established things! I guess that makes me a bit of an SG1/Atlantis purist?

I'll support it because I understand that this is the "toe in the water" for Stargate continuing, the difficulty is in finding that balance between supporting a franchise you'd like to see renewed and revitalised, but also providing firm feedback that you won't accept a cheap poorly thought out cash-in either. Unfortunately that's a pretty good description for the stargate command website/app, so I hope the same sloppy approach isn't applied to the new content.

I did like the gao'uld woman and thought the altered voice was more suggestive of the menacing tone of the original movie compared to how campy all the SG1 goa'uld sounded. I also smiled at Catherine's gate trip at the very end of the 3rd one, at least they didn't gently caress with that! ( They probably couldn't afford to do anything other than reuse it though)

Pre-emptive edit: I do remember that SG1 and Atlantis and SGU all used CG gates at some point, I didn't like it then either!

Gelf fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Feb 15, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm not signing up

e: actually it's really tempting. For a one time fee of $20 you can stream every episode of all the Stargate series and all 3 movies along with Origins. Presumably for as long as the service lasts.

Even though i own every season on dvd i think this is cheap enough to make me so it just for the convenience of not having to switch dvda anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Aleph Null posted:

Any impartial reviews or impressions?

It's really, really, really bad. I watched 2 of the episodes and didn't even want to give the third a chance. It's comically cheap looking, seems to be ignoring the shows entirely, and the antagonist is generic rear end nazis.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

IRQ posted:

It's really, really, really bad. I watched 2 of the episodes and didn't even want to give the third a chance. It's comically cheap looking, seems to be ignoring the shows entirely, and the antagonist is generic rear end nazis.

This was always my fear and my assumption. Why do they hate their incredibly successful and beloved Sci Fi franchise and slather all over the interesting but not really that successful movie? O'Neill > O'Neil in every single way.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Does the all access pass only last for 3 months?

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
It expires May 15th. Not sure what they're planning after that. Not sure anyone's going to want to pay monthly for short low-budget episodes and the chance to stream an ageing back catalogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I don't understand the point of a stargate show without aliens unless the nazis are actually aliens