Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Wow, Fuji make a set of expensive video T lens for both X mount and Sony E mount too? I guess I was not following the rumors. This XH1 feels like a different system that's very business and not hobbyist.

Well lets hope half of the features trickle down to the XT3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DJExile posted:

Does Fuji have many lenses that could be used for sports? I know they have some really nice primes in the 50-90mm range but I've never seen like a 70-200 f/2.8 on their mount. Maybe I've missed it.

E: oh they've got a 50-140 f/2.8. I didn't know that

They also have a 100-400.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Also a 200 f/2 is coming, but will probably be hideously expensive.

$6k apparently, so same as the Canon.

I wonder how good the AF on the Steelsring/Fringer smart adapters will be (their demos show it working quickly on stationary targets, but they don't show if it'll follow moving targets accurately). If it's good then yay you got every Canon lens in existence.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

suck my woke dick posted:

They also have a 100-400.

yeah but it's f/4.5-5.6. I'm sure that it can focus quick enough for sports (or at least it had better, for nearly 2 grand), but that's a really slow aperture and I can't imagine it's going to work great in iffy lighting.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

whatever7 posted:

Wow, Fuji make a set of expensive video T lens for both X mount and Sony E mount too? I guess I was not following the rumors.
The cine lenses in E-mount guise have been out for a while and just about every review of them had been glowing.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Pablo Bluth posted:

The cine lenses in E-mount guise have been out for a while and just about every review of them had been glowing.

Fuji has been making high end video lenses since forever. Look at older ENG cameras, tons of them are sporting Fujinons.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

whatever7 posted:

This XH1 feels like a different system that's very business and not hobbyist.

Feels like they are going after the GH5 / GH5S market, which is also very business.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

8th-snype posted:

Fuji has been making high end video lenses since forever. Look at older ENG cameras, tons of them are sporting Fujinons.

Literally the only non-fuji ENG lens I've ever seen was an ancient canon 17x, and it was by far the worst lens I've ever used.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

DJExile posted:

yeah but it's f/4.5-5.6. I'm sure that it can focus quick enough for sports (or at least it had better, for nearly 2 grand), but that's a really slow aperture and I can't imagine it's going to work great in iffy lighting.
:agreed: it's a casual outdoor sports/portable birding lens that'll do sort of ok but not great in poor light, probably developed so Fuji has a ~100-400 like everyone else. Though I'm not really too excited about it even then, it's still pretty big and heavy and the Canon 100-400 II is not that much more expensive and pretty much the benchmark for casual supertelephoto lenses. Expect a trip report of how well the Steelsring and Fringer adapter AF implementation works for birds soon-ish (I'll just set my expectations low and expect it'll be poo poo, but given that the EF control logic has been analysed by pretty much everyone with an oscilloscope and a Canon DSLR now I'm not entirely ruling out that one or both of them have figured out an adequate solution).

Pablo Bluth posted:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Literally the only non-fuji ENG lens I've ever seen was an ancient canon 17x, and it was by far the worst lens I've ever used.
Yeah and the new Fuji cine lenses "only" cost a few thousand each so they're trying to lower the bar of entry I guess? Comedy option: bundle them with a free X-H1 :v:

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 16, 2018

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Godox / Flashpoint just announced the R2 Pro Transmitter for Olympus / Panasonic. I shouldn't be excited about a frickin transmitter, but here I am.

Oh, and something something Fuji.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Myrmidongs posted:

Godox / Flashpoint just announced the R2 Pro Transmitter for Olympus / Panasonic. I shouldn't be excited about a frickin transmitter, but here I am.

Oh, and something something Fuji.

I should order one as well. The UI seems a bit more friendly compared to the X1T plus an easier to read screen is always a bonus.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The X-Pro transmitter is what they should have made in the first place, but we'll take late versus never.

It's a big leap if you're used to the old transmitter, you'll love it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Yeah the old transmitter is functional but not well designed at all.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

8th-snype posted:

Yeah the old transmitter is functional but not well designed at all.

One thing I kept seeing about the XT1 was people bumping their head into it and changing settings on accident. Didn't have that problem myself.

Having channel specific controls started by one non-tied button is going to be nice though.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

ReverendHammer posted:

One thing I kept seeing about the XT1 was people bumping their head into it and changing settings on accident. Didn't have that problem myself.

Having channel specific controls started by one non-tied button is going to be nice though.

It's just not very intuitive to use or setup, also it's so short and wide using it on the x100 makes it very hard scab I reach the shutter.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

ReverendHammer posted:

I should order one as well. The UI seems a bit more friendly compared to the X1T plus an easier to read screen is always a bonus.

My biggest beef about the X1T is how its positioned on top of the camera. It makes it more annoying to see and interact with dials on the X100F. I like the angled or upright design better.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Just got a godox flash kit with the xt1 for Christmas.....

It doesn't have a great user experience but drat I have other things to buy with my money.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GEMorris posted:

Just got a godox flash kit with the xt1 for Christmas.....

It doesn't have a great user experience but drat I have other things to buy with my money.

The xt1 or the flash?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

underage at the vape shop posted:

The xt1 or the flash?

The xt1 is a little weird both in interaction design and in physical shape, not to the point where I want to immediately replace it tho. The flash is fine.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
XH1 available for preorder, ships on 1 Mar. So, I'm going to have my xt2, grip and kit lens up on the sale thread soon.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GEMorris posted:

The xt1 is a little weird both in interaction design and in physical shape, not to the point where I want to immediately replace it tho. The flash is fine.

what are you having trouble doing?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
I'm looking to sell an Olympus 25mm that I bought new and never really used. Any advice on where to list it?

Also happy to sell it to a goon but dunno if anyone is looking.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I upgraded from my trusty, old X100S to a used X100F, and I really like it. It fixes pretty much every problem I had with the S. Now I need to figure out what I want to bind to the five (!) different function keys though, not to mention a fully customizable Q menu and a focus ring that has functionality even in autofocus modes.

The only minor quibble I have is that the menu will now open in the viewfinder even when using the OVF in viewfinder-only mode. Switching to the OVF and opening the menu used to be my quick trick to get the menu on the LCD, but now I'm forced to cycle the view mode when going into the menu and back out. I don't like browsing the menu through the viewfinder, and I don't like the minor lag switching between the viewfinder and the LCD in eye-detection mode.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I just gave up and use the menu in the evf. It's dumb because the xpro2 does it properly.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Looks like the XH-1 is not doing well with reviews. I was all ready to be low key upset that they released an IBIS camera so soon after the X-T2 since I would have waited (since they said they couldn’t make an IBIS body I never would have thought to even wait for something like that) but it is too big, too heavy, doesn’t have an IQ improvement over the X-T2 and when you have a crop body with no IQ improvement over the previous model and is bigger and heavier than full frame mirror less bodies then that just doesn’t do it for me.

That said, I am also sad that it doesn’t seem to be being received well. I want Fuji to do well so they make more stuff because I like their gear more than any other camera company out there and a body that really hit it for video people would help the company. I guess it remains to be seen if video people will think it’s worth it. I’m a stills guy and everyone I know is too. I don’t know that a body like this will get people to leave their m4/3 bodies or whatever video people use. When I switched from Canon to the X-T1 I saw all kinds of advantages and it made the decision easy after I started leaving my 5D home all of the time and just taking out my old X100. But I don’t know what significant advantages video people will see to make them want to make that jump.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

rio posted:

I guess it remains to be seen if video people will think it’s worth it.
They're the people this body was made for. We already knew it would have the same stills IQ as every other X-Trans III body.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

rio posted:

I guess it remains to be seen if video people will think it’s worth it.

Your takeaway is almost the opposite of mine! Although IMO Fuji didn't do everything right (same battery, no 10bit, no 4K 60, no headphone jack in camera, no new sensor) this solves enough of the practical video problems with the X-T2 that I'm pretty excited about it. The camera is compelling to me because it's so competent at photo and video — yes, I could buy a GH5 for video but I don't love the photo quality, and yes I could wait for a new Sony A7III(S) but I'm not trying to drop 3K on a body and 1200 per lens. That's an exaggeration in both respects, I'm sure, but for someone who does photo and video and who wants the quality of both to be pretty great (especially right out of the camera) and who doesn't want to spend a million dollars, all the H1 seems like a nice compromise.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
According to one of the videos give min 2.5 step (10-24mm) to 5.5 step (telephotos) improvements on slowest shutter speed.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

rio posted:

Looks like the XH-1 is not doing well with reviews. I was all ready to be low key upset that they released an IBIS camera so soon after the X-T2 since I would have waited (since they said they couldn’t make an IBIS body I never would have thought to even wait for something like that) but it is too big, too heavy, doesn’t have an IQ improvement over the X-T2 and when you have a crop body with no IQ improvement over the previous model and is bigger and heavier than full frame mirror less bodies then that just doesn’t do it for me.

That said, I am also sad that it doesn’t seem to be being received well. I want Fuji to do well so they make more stuff because I like their gear more than any other camera company out there and a body that really hit it for video people would help the company. I guess it remains to be seen if video people will think it’s worth it. I’m a stills guy and everyone I know is too. I don’t know that a body like this will get people to leave their m4/3 bodies or whatever video people use. When I switched from Canon to the X-T1 I saw all kinds of advantages and it made the decision easy after I started leaving my 5D home all of the time and just taking out my old X100. But I don’t know what significant advantages video people will see to make them want to make that jump.

It's funny, but it's enough change for me to sell my xt2 and upgrade. IBIS alone wouldn't have, but frankly the Bluetooth, the better EVF and the better video just push it thru. I'm also happy for the size increase. The XT2 is too small for comfort, but not small enough to be pocketable, so the bigger grip is enticing.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
I feel weird saying it but I’ve been meaning to put a large grip and thumb grip on my X-T2 since I got it over a year ago and now the X-H1 has IBIS and a bigger grip and I think that’s enough for me because getting both grips is like a $200 expense by itself. Or it’s my GAS.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
The X-H1 is a solid side grade. The size is a deal breaker for me but I like the fact that they are doing something new.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I feel like the X-T2 is too small with some lenses but with the grip it is very comfortable for me. But in the winter or when I have a big pocket I like to be able to put on a smaller lens like the 35 f2 and pop it in my pocket without the grip. I do wish it had a touch screen though and seeing them put one on this is encouraging since they will hopefully put one on the x-t3 too. I wouldn’t use it all the time but considering the articulating screen which is useful, a touch to focus option would be useful.

Speaking of which, I am reading conflicting info about the screen. Is it articulating or not? I’d imagine for video that they would want the screen to articulate like the X-T2.

I’m glad to see here the people are looking forward to it. I really would love the IBIS but since I don’t care about video I just don’t know if I want to trade in the X-T2 since there are some pros for me with that body vs. the new one (mostly size and weight). And it’s shallow but I prefer the way the X-T2 looks more as well.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The screen tilts up and down, and it does a weird, partial sideways tilt to make it a little easier to see when shooting vertically. It's not the full flippy-outy Panasonic style.

I saw it demonstrated in a video.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

The X-H1 is under $2000. It's got that topside LCD, IBIS, internal F-log, touchscreen... a lot of additional video-centric upgrades.

drat. Here I am with an X-T2 that still had that new camera smell. I would've felt better if the H1 had ended up being more expensive, heh. For walk-around landscapes and portraits, I don't think I'm missing too much, but I've been spending more time with an adapted Nikon 300/4 and a tripod, getting wildlife videos. Plus I've got some other video projects coming up at work that could've possibly been done handheld with adapted lenses if my camera had ibis. Instead I'll be using the 18-55.

Still, I don't think I'll be selling my X-T2 to upgrade. I need a long-reach telephoto with autofocus, so the money saved on not getting an H1 can go towards a 100-400 (I guess the 200/2 is going to be over $5000 so no thanks). Having the 100-400 with the X-T2 would ultimately be better than having the 300/4 with an IBIS-enabled camera.

I also really like the size of the XT2 with the 23/2 or 35/2 (or even the 18-55), it's very light and easy to carry around for long periods of time, and the built-in grip is just enough to make it comfortable for me.

Also, I never thought I'd say this, because I love to plate LCDs, but having physical dials that show SS, ISO, and aperture selection kind of reduce the utility of having an extra screen on the top. I know you can see more than that with an LCD, but the Fujis have always had this great minimalistic, functional design and the X-H1 seems a little more crowded and unfocused with three discrete dials, two custom dials, a rear screen, EVF, and top LCD. It's a lot too keep up with.

Edit: and still no internal 4:2:2.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 20, 2018

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

grahm posted:

Although IMO Fuji didn't do everything right (same battery, no 10bit, no 4K 60, no headphone jack in camera, no new sensor)

Wait, they expect this to compete with the GH5 in the video market and the above things are true? (The no new sensor and the battery ones don't matter)

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Also, without the extra battery grip thingy, internal 4K recording is limited to 10 minute clips. (30 with the grip.)

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
According to https://www.43rumors.com/can-get-new-e-m1ii-firmware-now/ there's a new firmware for the E-M1 Mk2 that's available early.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Wait, they expect this to compete with the GH5 in the video market and the above things are true? (The no new sensor and the battery ones don't matter)

Oddly enough, it seems more like they're positioning it against the DC-G9. It's a little closer in features and specifications, at least.

The G9 is the stills-focused camera from the video-focused mirrorless brand. The X-H1 is the video-focused camera from the still-focused brand. And they both have top-plate LCDs and big grips. Nevertheless, the G9 is probably better for video, while the X-H1 better for stills. That's just from looking at sample outputs from both cameras, but I think it can pretty much be taken for granted that even with it's ''improved color rendition", the G9's SOOC JPEGS will look worse and RAWs be less flexible than the X-H1's, and the X-H1's video will be less detailed and less well-supported than the G9's.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
I don't have much experience with modern video but also remember that Fuji has a history of dropping major upgrades in firmware. I don't know enough to know if the things the X-H1 is lacking can be stuck in after the fact but they jammed 4k into the xpro2 in firmware eventually when enough people asked for it.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
they are releasing a firmware update for the xt20 soon that doubles its AF tracking speed and halves the size of the smallest trackable object, which i don't think anyone was clamoring for, so if people request something enough they probably will do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

One thing in that list (no headphone jack in camera) is kind of a wash since there is one in the optional grip. And if you're "serious" about doing video with an X-H1, you're going to need the grip anyway to enable longer recording times.

I don't know a ton about video either, but I think that internal 10bit 4:2:2 is in some way hardware-dependent, in the sense that it might require more processing power than camera can provide on its own.

Speaking of firmware updates, it'd be sweet if Fuji would add Eterna and F-log to the X-T2. Those are simply color profiles and should be completely possible to implement.

And it's cool that Fuji gave the Xpro 4K, but only the X-T2 (and now the X-H1 I guess) uses a particular type of video readout (oversampling) that produces much nicer video quality. All the other 4K Fujis use subsampling. I mean, it's still 4K with Fuji color rendition so it can look great, but only the bigger SLR-style Fujis can do oversampling. It might have something to do with power consumption and heat generation/dispersal, so that nice oversampled quality is also probably hardware-limited.