Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I fuxking hate open board but those keys are fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The keys look better than I expected vs. the Massdrop photos ... but I still don't think they look great with the light k-type chassis.

I like typing on my K-Type, and love the "fingerprints" lighting ... but the firmware seems to have not really gone anywhere. Functional and you can map it. No macroing though.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Remember when you were supposed to have Snake on it? lol

It's definitely one of my biggest keyboard purchasing regrets. I might try and see if anyone local can do re-anodization well. But I should really just sell this thing. The keyboard is pretty good. But me not liking it is me really not liking TKL anymore and really not liking the tinfoil aesthetic.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

May as well. Someone will want it.

I personally love the switches (whatever the MX Clear version is), and I like the aesthetic out-of-the-box. I'm okay not changing the caps, it's just fun to have options. Also definitely a fan of TKL.

I haven't needed to macro like I used to at my old job, but I have a Pok3r and Race 3 anyway for that ... and they're really spectacular at it. (Can add macros simply on-the-fly ... I hate how it seems most devices require firmware editing.)

(I also have a Poker 2 I promised to someone here like half a year ago ... need to check if he's still looking :( )

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
I have a Corsair Strafe RGB and like the genius I am, I spilled some cider over about 6 of the keys. I unplugged it and put it upside down overnight, and there don't seem to be any problems with the logic board, but the six keys are a bit sticky and slowish to return. I rubbed the switches with some isopropyl alcohol on a qtip but either it hasn't properly cleaned it, or it's de-lubricated the switches because the issue remains.

Is it possible to re-lubricate the switches or am I going to have to find a way to replace the switches? Does this involve re-soldering? Apparently this board uses cherry mx silent switches. I take it these are rarer/more expensive to aquire? If possible i'm fine replacing the six with regular cherry mx switches.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Unless you find a way to completely clean them, desoldering is probably the best way. The problem though would be disassembling the Corsair Strafe. I know people had trouble with a Corsair K70 because some of the housing is glued on. Hopefully the Strafe is better with that. If you're able to desolder them, then Cherry Silent Red switches are like a dollar each from here:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2230

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

so my now 13 y/o logitech g15 (yes the original one) died.
looking for a wireless non mechanical kb with media/macro keys as a holdover/for future tv use. will get a proper kb in a few months anyway irregardless of this 1 failing.

any good source or reqs for those?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Zedd posted:

so my now 13 y/o logitech g15 (yes the original one) died.
looking for a wireless non mechanical kb with media/macro keys as a holdover/for future tv use. will get a proper kb in a few months anyway irregardless of this 1 failing.

any good source or reqs for those?

For TV id's say: https://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/wireless-touch-keyboard-k400-plus

mewse
May 2, 2006

I finally got a teensy to build a adb-usb adapter and out of 5 switches I cleaned in the AEK2, two of them aren't working :lol:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I recently got a CM Masterkeys L and have been looking around for some backlight-friendly PBT keycaps which seem to be pretty rare.

I found a set by Vortex and then this one, which looks pretty cool with the translucent sides:

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/pbt-double-shot-104-key-black-top-white-translucent-side-wall-backlight-keycap-set.html

Has anyone tried this type of cap on an RGB board? Just wondering if the light bleed along the sides is a little too much.

Corsair also sells their PBT caps, but they stack the symbols rather than doing a side-to-side at the top. Good looking set otherwise:

https://www.amazon.com/CORSAIR-Double-shot-Keycaps-Full-105-Keyset/dp/B075QLZVB6

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

that looks neat, bought.

I did some more research by now and is this the version to buy as proper kb? Corsair K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

teethgrinder posted:

I like typing on my K-Type, and love the "fingerprints" lighting

I can't seem to get that working. I have added a fingerprints visualization and then assigned F11 on Layer 1 to start that animation, but only F11 will light up when I hold Fn and press F11. What am I doing wrong here?

eta: maybe there was a bug with the clientside configurator? but after deleting the keymap assignment to Layer 1 F11 and then deleting the animation then flashing that firmware then closing the configurator then opening the configurator then adding the visualization then mapping it to Layer 1 F11 then flashing, it is working expected now :shrug:

HappyCapybaraFamily fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 14, 2018

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Apparently WASD are bringing in white cases - which you'll also be able to buy to retrofit as well, although they said something about needing specific tools which they've yet to stock.

I kind of think white would get a bit grubby but it could look good with the Canvas caps...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Can anyone recommend a full size keyboard with a USB hub (at least 2 ports) that has mechanical-like feel to the keys that won't smash my non-existent IT budget? I was asked to find one by an executive in my company and I'm not sure what brands/types would be recommended to look at. There are a whole lot of keyboards that meet these specs but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I think the budget is under $50.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Feb 14, 2018

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Zedd posted:

that looks neat, bought.

I did some more research by now and is this the version to buy as proper kb? Corsair K70 LUX RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

For mainstream boards, I'd get a CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro (whatever size you want) instead. The Corsair CUE software is hot hot hot garbage.

Basically, there's an issue where the Corsair drivers and CUE is incompatible with how Steam does USB polling. So everytime you plug in another USB device and have Steam open you have a chance of Steam freezing / your keyboard not working if you have a K70/K65/Strafe plugged in. Workaround is to unplug and replug the keyboard.

There's been multiple reports of this (me included) over a year ago on the Corsair forums and they've been completely tone deaf towards it. Blaming Steam and how their software isn't at fault. Fair enough if it's Steam's fault, but how can you market a gaming keyboard and have it be incompatible with Steam? Other keyboard software don't have this issue.

Check out all these threads:

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168442
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167509
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167807
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174120
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167204

They've been so tone deaf towards it and in so much denial that I just plain don't recommend any peripheral that uses the CUE software anymore. I got curious so I checked in on their forums and almost a goddamn year later, they've finally acknowledged the issue and working towards a fix. Posted last week:

quote:

Update: We are going to update all of our firmware for our HID peripherals to ignore Steam requests for polling to solve this issue. This will occur in the next 1-2 months (due to the volume of firmware that has to be changed.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Constellation I posted:

Basically, there's an issue where the Corsair drivers and CUE is incompatible with how Steam does USB polling. So everytime you plug in another USB device and have Steam open you have a chance of Steam freezing / your keyboard not working if you have a K70/K65/Strafe plugged in. Workaround is to unplug and replug the keyboard.

Hmm, well that explains that weirdness that I used to have happen, I only noticed it when plugging/removing my Xbox pad so I didn't even think to associate it with my K95.

That said, it hasn't happened once in literally months, so I'm not sure how widespread it actually is.

CUE is definitely bad though, but so is basically every other "gamer" peripheral's software. Why they all insist on reinventing the wheel with their stupid themed UIs I'll never understand. Just make the poo poo work and tell your marketing department to gently caress off.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Just from my circle of friends alone, I'd say it's common enough and definitely a problem. It's just intermittent. I asked a couple of buddies do the same test as me, which was:

1. have steam open
2. have corsair kb plugged in
3. plug in controller
4. unplug controller
5. repeat

I can consistently reproduce after like 6 cycles, others more or less. If you only unplug and replug like once a day, I can definitely see not running into the issue for weeks at a time depending on luck.

The Logitech gaming software is actually pretty good for me. Definitely the least bloated one out there and have not had any issues.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 14, 2018

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

Have to work this weekend so finally brought in my modded redragon vara - gateron silent browns, maxkey sa dolch

I really like the look of this. How hard is it to do something like this? And since I'm asking, how much?

Thanks!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fixit posted:

I really like the look of this. How hard is it to do something like this? And since I'm asking, how much?

Thanks!

It was a bit easier than I expected. The solder sucker I purchased was invaluable in desoldering the stock switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dvf45hN6Y

Redragon VARA non-backlit $37
Gateron silent brown x 110 $43.30
Maxkey dolch $99
Soldering kit $30

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.
I got a V60 Matias Mini a while back (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/35911) and it's been a great keyboard to throw in a backpack and use at work, but the spacebar is warped enough (despite being ABS) that I can't get both stabilizer clips to stay down.
Is there any reliable source of keycaps for ALPS stems? Or am I going to have to harvest an AT101 for a PBT set and memorize the Fn shortcuts?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

General Specific posted:

I got a V60 Matias Mini a while back (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/35911) and it's been a great keyboard to throw in a backpack and use at work, but the spacebar is warped enough (despite being ABS) that I can't get both stabilizer clips to stay down.
Is there any reliable source of keycaps for ALPS stems? Or am I going to have to harvest an AT101 for a PBT set and memorize the Fn shortcuts?

https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dcs-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/ or https://pimpmykeyboard.com/dsa-alps-mount-space-bar-pack-of-1/

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

It was a bit easier than I expected. The solder sucker I purchased was invaluable in desoldering the stock switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja4U75kF1Jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_dvf45hN6Y

Redragon VARA non-backlit $37
Gateron silent brown x 110 $43.30
Maxkey dolch $99
Soldering kit $30

Wow, way more detail on how you did it than I was anticipating. Thanks for that! I may be doing this because I love projects and tinkering. Modded a DMG-01 a few years back and been itching to do something of the like.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

General Specific posted:

You can try a couple of weights on each end and a hairdryer. It's what I do for warped PBT spacebars. Don't know how effective or terrible of an idea that would be on ABS though since they usually don't have the issue.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Fixit posted:

Wow, way more detail on how you did it than I was anticipating. Thanks for that! I may be doing this because I love projects and tinkering. Modded a DMG-01 a few years back and been itching to do something of the like.

My pleasure but I'm upset you made me calculate how expensive this board was :argh:

One tool I forgot to mention was a switch puller I got with my gmmk TKL, it made removing the switches from the place fairly easy after desoldering.

Here's a listing for one on aliexpress

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

mewse posted:

My pleasure but I'm upset you made me calculate how expensive this board was :argh:

One tool I forgot to mention was a switch puller I got with my gmmk TKL, it made removing the switches from the place fairly easy after desoldering.

Here's a listing for one on aliexpress

Hahaha sorry. Got a tight budget so maybe I can build this over time.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I bought a Corsair K63 Wireless and I think it's great.

I'd like to try clicky switches on it, but I've never swapped out switches before (this is my first mechanical keyboard). The existing switches are Cherry MX Reds and I gather I should be able to simply remove and replace them -- but, each switch has an LED in it (poking through it?). Does this change what I should buy?

These replacement switches don't visually look like they'd be compatible with the lights, but maybe I am wrong.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I bought a Corsair K63 Wireless and I think it's great.

I'd like to try clicky switches on it, but I've never swapped out switches before (this is my first mechanical keyboard). The existing switches are Cherry MX Reds and I gather I should be able to simply remove and replace them -- but, each switch has an LED in it (poking through it?). Does this change what I should buy?

These replacement switches don't visually look like they'd be compatible with the lights, but maybe I am wrong.

It won't be an easy swap. You'd have to desolder all the LEDs first (if they're the ones that stick through and not just surface-mount ones on the PCB) THEN desolder the current switches. Then you have to solder your new switches in and solder the LEDs back on and hope you didn't mess up the LED contacts on the PCB which can be fragile.

Unfortunately, if you wanted a board to try out switches, you should've gotten the Glorious Modular keyboard or a K-Type. Or get a cheaper mech keyboard with no LEDs to have less things to desolder (like the Reddragon Mara that mewse has)

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Constellation I posted:

It won't be an easy swap. You'd have to desolder all the LEDs first (if they're the ones that stick through and not just surface-mount ones on the PCB) THEN desolder the current switches. Then you have to solder your new switches in and solder the LEDs back on and hope you didn't mess up the LED contacts on the PCB which can be fragile.

Unfortunately, if you wanted a board to try out switches, you should've gotten the Glorious Modular keyboard or a K-Type. Or get a cheaper mech keyboard with no LEDs to have less things to desolder (like the Reddragon Mara that mewse has)

Oh. I thought the keyboard would be modular, but clearly not. Oh well, I like it fine as it is anyway.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Constellation I posted:

For mainstream boards, I'd get a CoolerMaster MasterKeys Pro (whatever size you want) instead. The Corsair CUE software is hot hot hot garbage.
Thanks for the feedback, unfortunate I already placed my order by the time I read it.

I have the board now and 3 days to send it back (so im keeping the cable ties etc on for now) The typing on it does feel very tactile and nice but It seems kinda big compared to my old Logitech G15? I have fairly small hands and I feel i can't reach alt+6 any more :v: I also kinda miss having some bezel around the left and righthand side, not a lot but oh well.

Outside of good reviews on the Corsair The media controls and USB hub where my initial reasons to go for it; I looked on Logitechs website for any of their keyboards and the only one that seems to meet what I am looking for (mechanical, slightly smaller/logitech layout, media keys, though a lack of USB hub) is a wireless one called the G613.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

I snagged a board with MX Clears this week. They are the truth. Really quiet for tactile keys also. Definitely my favorite key that I've used so far.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Is it true that cherry clears are out of production?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Zedd posted:

Thanks for the feedback, unfortunate I already placed my order by the time I read it.

I have the board now and 3 days to send it back (so im keeping the cable ties etc on for now) The typing on it does feel very tactile and nice but It seems kinda big compared to my old Logitech G15? I have fairly small hands and I feel i can't reach alt+6 any more :v: I also kinda miss having some bezel around the left and righthand side, not a lot but oh well.

Outside of good reviews on the Corsair The media controls and USB hub where my initial reasons to go for it; I looked on Logitechs website for any of their keyboards and the only one that seems to meet what I am looking for (mechanical, slightly smaller/logitech layout, media keys, though a lack of USB hub) is a wireless one called the G613.

If you're set on a mech with media keys and a volume wheel, then I'd recommend the Logitech G610. I think it was also one of their last keyboards to not use Romer-G.

Kwilty
May 31, 2011

mewse posted:

If that's the case I have to order a full size board and a TKL right now so I have options in the future.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Clears are browns but better in every way why do people buy browns?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I like clears but they’re definitely more tiring to type on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

mewse posted:

I don't know much about Cherry's production lines but I figure if you can buy 5,000 of them on digikey they're probably still being made.
https://www.digikey.com/products/en?mpart=MX1A-C1NW&v=1644

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Eric the Mauve posted:

Clears are browns but better in every way why do people buy browns?

I have both and like that other user said, clears are noticeably more fatiguing to type on. Also I am about 15% slower on clears.

That said, the bump on browns is just too soft, which is why I'm trying out the Kailh browns that someone suggested earlier.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Puny keyboard warriors

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I almost bought a board with blacks but i pussied out at the last second thinking about my precious finger joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I love Clears/Greens, etc ... and frankly I type faster with them than Browns ... don't bottom out constantly.

But I hated the mushy feel that Blacks gave me. I really need that activation point. Gaming with Greens was fine too.