Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Piper and Nick are both cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land
So I did the Nuka World questline, set up some raiding posts, opressed some peasantd and then murdered all the raiders. Preston still wont talk to me after several ingame days.

How screwed am I if i want to rebuild the Minutemen?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

corn in the bible posted:

In fallout 4, every companion is as compelling as rose of sharon

Did a bunch of stuff with Rose of Sharon get cut? She gives off a vibe of having the potential to be more interesting/important than she ended up being.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

What makes you think part of her story was cut?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuel Clemens posted:

What makes you think part of her story was cut?

If you talk to her she has a lot of unique dialogue, and yet her quest is so boring and after that there really isn't much else to her. It kind of felt like a lot of build up with no pay off.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I liked her more than most companions. Seems like she had more random things to say about whatever mess we'd stumbled into this time than the others.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lily is best in FONV. Charon is cool in 3 I guess.

The best companion in 4 is the guy in Far Harbor, which is a running theme

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Lily is best in FONV. Charon is cool in 3 I guess.

The best companion in 4 is the guy in Far Harbor, which is a running theme

Nick Valentine is the protagonist of a different and probably better game who got stuck in this one.

I think Raul is the best in NV, mostly because he's basically just Ghoul Danny Trejo.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
Cass is good and my friend

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you talk to her she has a lot of unique dialogue, and yet her quest is so boring and after that there really isn't much else to her. It kind of felt like a lot of build up with no pay off.

She's special because she's John Cassidy's daughter.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Curie is actually the best companion in F4 that is not also Dogmeat.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

dragonshardz posted:

Curie is actually the best companion in F4 that is not also Dogmeat.

Why must there be so much violence? *stabs raider with sword that's on fire*

Also she doesn't mind me making every fight with humans into a feast. Delicious human flesh, the most forbidden of all meats.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
It's funny, FNV has the best writing in the series and that mostly extends to companions, but my most loathed companion in the entire series is Veronica. It's basically just Felicia Day making random dumbass quips. It probably wouldn't be as grating if she was an unimportant side character like Lily but she's such a huge part of both the main BoS plotline and factors into Dead Money with Christine (one of the best companions) that she's just there constantly, being terrible.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Curie would've been better if you could talk her out of becoming a synth by convincing her that turning her into a Metal Gear with Automatron was cooler.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a mod for Fallout 4 that lists everything an item will break down into? It's been a long while since I played and I'm not looking forward to hunting down materials.

EDIT: I don't want to just add the materials with mods or the console. Is there a way to use the existing junk flag feature and just have all the materials show up when I target an item?

\/\/\/ Holy cow, right while I was editing! That looks great, thanks!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 16, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Is there a mod for Fallout 4 that lists everything an item will break down into? It's been a long while since I played and I'm not looking forward to hunting down materials.

If you have Valdacils item sorting and Def UI and INV it will show what an item breaks down into when you hover over it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Just use the component tagging system and grab anything that has the magnifying glass next to the name when you look at it. Scrounger 2 improves it by making junk glow if it is marked.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

isndl posted:

Just use the component tagging system and grab anything that has the magnifying glass next to the name when you look at it. Scrounger 2 improves it by making junk glow if it is marked.

This is especially good if you make your HUD orange because it feels like you're playing Deus Ex

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

MikeJF posted:

Curie would've been better if you could talk her out of becoming a synth by convincing her that turning her into a Metal Gear with Automatron was cooler.

On the other hand, you can make Codsworth into Metal Gear AND have your French synth waifu. It's a win-win.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I liked Curie up until she didn't want to be a robot. Then she stopped being interesting.

I do like how when you first meet her she asks if you're a vault-tec and if you say no, she just pretends she can't hear you so she has an excuse to let herself out of that lovely room. I don't really understand the degree of sentience that Handymen and other robots are supposed to have in Fallout. It seems to vary wildly.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

On the other hand, you can make Codsworth into Metal Gear AND have your French synth waifu. It's a win-win.

Inferior to French Metal Gear.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Keeshhound posted:

Yup, this alone was great. This, finding the car, the super mutant town up north. I loved those details tying back to the original two.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait you can find the chryslus car in New Vegas?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Internet Kraken posted:

Wait you can find the chrysalis in New Vegas?

You sure can.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It plays the Fallout 2 music when you find it. :)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Well poo poo, I never realized that was supposed to your highwayman. Kind of sad its been completely totaled.

I loved that car entirely because of the music that played on the world map after you got it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man that was the best music. The other Fallout wiki on gamepedia insists that track has a chance of playing around the wrecked highwayman in New Vegas, but it never did for me

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The fact that the last Fallout game to have a working vehicle for the player was made 20 years ago is both baffling and sad.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ApeHawk posted:

The fact that the last Fallout game to have a working vehicle for the player was made 20 years ago is both baffling and sad.
Given how horses worked in Skyrim, I'm not terribly surprised.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Keeshhound posted:

Ah, I never played Fallout 2 so all these cool references are wasted on me.

ApeHawk posted:

Rideable Deathclaws, when?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Rideable Deathclaws, when?

i'm sure nexus has a romance mod that will help you out

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
the winds are the gustiest

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

17 years, at the moment.

Tactics had several vehicles, including a tank. The catch was, you could only use them in the designated mission and random encounters, not other scripted missions. No bringing your APC to Great Bend to have a little more armor.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is tactics considered canon or not?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Internet Kraken posted:

From what I've read: nope.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

2house2fly posted:

YUP fixes tons of bugs, JSawyer makes a bunch of mechanical changes and was made by the game's director so it's basically a free DLC, Project Nevada lets you fiddle with a bunch of settings and adds a sprint button. There's also a loot menu mod that ports Fallout 4's realtime looting mechanic into NV, which is very nice. For content, the New Vegas Uncut mods are pretty much essential, and some helpful soul on the NV Nexus collected them all into one file called something like NEW VEGAS UNCUT 1-2-3-4-5-7

I found this, which looks incredible and useful but ugh so much to do

I really wish they'd just wrapped the end result of them doing it properly into a torrent, but that'd make modders have tantrums, no doubt.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

ApeHawk posted:

Father Wendigo posted:

Given how horses worked in Skyrim, I'm not terribly surprised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6pXsw3oPs0

Pretty neat mod, there's a different newer mod for car driving that includes storage, but it's not as impressive visually.

There's also a mod out there that basically gives you a mobile home, you can't drive it but it's still neat.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Feb 16, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the winds are the gustiest

I rock 'em, roll 'em, all night long

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Internet Kraken posted:

It's canon in broad strokes, where the general events happened but anything that would be contradictory to the main games is ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Zeniel posted:

Disabling V-sync may help a bit. But bear in mind that there's a bug where you end up with infinite load times in the downtown area for some reason. I thought the vsynch issue fixed my game but it didn't, so I've given up in frustration. Eh I was basically done with the game anyway, it was getting too repetitive and the faction ideologies are flawed in really dumb ways.

I really hate how all scientists in this game all have the same personality and have no sense of humor, like everytime you make some smart alec comment they're always just like
:welp: That's not a hypothsis...
It's like some kind of tv tropes style approach to character writing.
Scientist == humorless robot.

Also, for a group of scientists the Institutes ideology really makes no goddamn sense. Oh we kidnapped your son because we needed him for his genetic purity, the wasteland is missing genetic purity, that's why we have to send out waves of cyborgs. Genetic purity is not a thing. It really undermines the whole sympathetic angle of the institute when you first meet them and they're wholly unreasonable simply because the writers wrote themselves into a corner and required them to stubbornly reject compromise, so they made up a nonsense nonscientific point to rally behind. Bah.

I desperately wanted a quest where you just flat out took Father to Sanctuary and were like 'HERE you dumbfuck, I made this with five people in two months while running around looking for your rear end. If you people had taken even the barest effort to not be loving worthless and morally bankrupt, civilization would have returned to the entire commonwealth 150 years ago. Now we're going to do this my way, and it's going to be a lot less pleasant for a lot of your people.'