Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I had a colony that was doing well. I was busy expanding this or that. And then one day I got a message that said somebody was suffocating. I discovered that my CO2 scrubbers were not removing CO2. They were not serving their purpose because they were swamped with natural gas. This natural gas was the cumulative effect of a flatulent among my dupes. And it was too late to do anything about it because everybody was so O2 deprived that they were hiding in tiny corner-pockets of oxygen trying to catch a good breath and refusing to scramble to enact a life-saving solution, no matter what priorities I set.

My colony was killed by a serial fartist.

I love this loving game, no matter how many times the environment brutally and silently owns me.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Honky Dong Country posted:

I had a colony that was doing well. I was busy expanding this or that. And then one day I got a message that said somebody was suffocating. I discovered that my CO2 scrubbers were not removing CO2. They were not serving their purpose because they were swamped with natural gas. This natural gas was the cumulative effect of a flatulent among my dupes. And it was too late to do anything about it because everybody was so O2 deprived that they were hiding in tiny corner-pockets of oxygen trying to catch a good breath and refusing to scramble to enact a life-saving solution, no matter what priorities I set.

My colony was killed by a serial fartist.

I love this loving game, no matter how many times the environment brutally and silently owns me.

If you hit the emergency button they will work until they die with no regard to life.

I found that out when I used it to get them to finish something instead of sleeping, but also they did the thing instead of breathing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Bondematt posted:

they did the thing instead of breathing.

Where is this button? I'm probably stupid for not knowing this button even existed.

Also lmfao at that line in general.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Honky Dong Country posted:

Where is this button? I'm probably stupid for not knowing this button even existed.

Also lmfao at that line in general.

I guess it's called Red Alert, in the top left corner just right of the speed controls.

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Red_Alert

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Rule #1: NO FARTING DUPES!!

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Hey folks, so I like my EA games to be in a state that, even if not fully feature complete, could feasibly be a release candidate if they decided overnight to stop working on it. Not because they might do that, but simply because I may not feel like coming back to them when they're done, and I might have only had a less-than-optimal experience this way. This game looks interesting so far. How many... rough/missing edges does it have right now?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Dancer posted:

Hey folks, so I like my EA games to be in a state that, even if not fully feature complete, could feasibly be a release candidate if they decided overnight to stop working on it. Not because they might do that, but simply because I may not feel like coming back to them when they're done, and I might have only had a less-than-optimal experience this way. This game looks interesting so far. How many... rough/missing edges does it have right now?
Did you ever play prison architect in early access? It's like that. the core is there, and they're building outward by adding new mechanics and things at the end of the tech tree.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
One thing that should be noted and may run afoul your "could feasibly be released today" criteria is that an end goal has yet to be added. As mentioned the core mechanics are mostly built out and there's a lot of features to play with and fun to be had, but it's all for it's own sake. Once you've researched all the tech and built as sustainable a base as you possibly can, there's not really anything left to do as you can't "finish" the game yet.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It also runs into performance issues as you grow bigger and reveal more of the map, preventing an end goal of "I want to cover the entire map."

Which isn't that big a problem at this stage, really.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Sydin posted:

One thing that should be noted and may run afoul your "could feasibly be released today" criteria is that an end goal has yet to be added. As mentioned the core mechanics are mostly built out and there's a lot of features to play with and fun to be had, but it's all for it's own sake. Once you've researched all the tech and built as sustainable a base as you possibly can, there's not really anything left to do as you can't "finish" the game yet.

A lot of these words were being said during Don't Starve's development as well, and an end game wasn't ever added to that game before release so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm guessing some sort of UI revamp (a lot of it looks kinda placeholder but maybe it isn't, idk) and what the devs would consider a full tech tree is all that's missing before the game could be considered 1.0

I haven't really played any other games in this genre, what is an endgame typically considered to be?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Fano posted:

A lot of these words were being said during Don't Starve's development as well, and an end game wasn't ever added to that game before release so I wouldn't count on it.

I'm guessing some sort of UI revamp (a lot of it looks kinda placeholder but maybe it isn't, idk) and what the devs would consider a full tech tree is all that's missing before the game could be considered 1.0

I haven't really played any other games in this genre, what is an endgame typically considered to be?

Without a major combat component I'd say the closest you could get to an endgame would be some method of escaping. Or who knows...like all the dupes uploading themselves into some gestalt AI or something?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Could just lift a page straight from Don't Starve and let a handful of dupes physically leave the asteroid, locate another one, bust into it, and found a new colony.

Alternatively, do both of those - the dupes all become a gestalt super-dupe in an immortal robot body, who then goes and starts another colony in a fresh asteroid so they'll have underlings to lord over and boss around like some sort of cybernetic deity-monarch

e: actually a goofy Hard Mode newgame+ where your gestalt superdupe keeps making stupid Dwarf Fortress noble-esque mandates would be funny as hell.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 16, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
oni has a lot of potential to grow but strangely well balanced as is. the big hang-up currently is the job system. the workers are supposed to focus on their assigned job and free the player from micromanagement. instead, its just a buff .

for future speculation, i'd like the dupes to travel to different maps ala don't starve but each map have a different theme (once again like don't starve). maybe dupes reach a sustainability point where they will run independently and you break through, starting a new colony from scratch but with a few things from the previous map.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Since it's an asteroid they should make it so you have to get to the edges to attach engines then power the engines and live long enough to make it to a planet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
There's way too much stuff gated behind plastic, which is endgame tech right now.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

socialsecurity posted:

Since it's an asteroid they should make it so you have to get to the edges to attach engines then power the engines and live long enough to make it to a planet.

Holy poo poo it'd be like 40k ork roks. Just fuckin' bolt a buncha engines on the side and land on crash into a planet.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

socialsecurity posted:

Oh god yes this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

socialsecurity posted:

We have a winner.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

There's way too much stuff gated behind plastic, which is endgame tech right now.

Yeah I finally made a bunch and felt like I won the game.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I liked the jobs dictating priority / 1 to 5 * priority thing and I'm sad they reverted it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Splicer posted:

I liked the jobs dictating priority / 1 to 5 * priority thing and I'm sad they reverted it.

I suspect it’s coming back, it just wasn’t clear enough for some players apparently. I think if they could communicate it better, it’ll be fine.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I just picked this game up last week after the update hit, am I gathering that it was a rimworld style priority system before? That would be so much better. Having the ability to set workstation priority is nice but it should be in conjunction with the ability to set job priority, not instead of it.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Lorini posted:

I suspect it’s coming back, it just wasn’t clear enough for some players apparently. I think if they could communicate it better, it’ll be fine.
the problem was jobs depend on each other, so setting something to the highest priority wouldn't ensure it was completed. So, a chef needed food to cook so the gofer needed to be set to high priority too. the dupes needed to be managed much like the other system all over again. they should rebuild the job system so it distinguishes which tasks are related so they all get prioritized when one does. the devs are probably doing that now.

temple fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gadzuko posted:

I just picked this game up last week after the update hit, am I gathering that it was a rimworld style priority system before? That would be so much better. Having the ability to set workstation priority is nice but it should be in conjunction with the ability to set job priority, not instead of it.
During the beta for that update picking a job for someone set that as their main priority. So a Chef would only Gofer if they were out of Chef things to do. The 1 - 9 priorities were replaced with 1 - 5 + *, and again a Chef would prioritise a 2 Chef task over a 5 Gofer task. Toggling the * put it in everyone's queue, so a Chef would prioritise a 4* Gofer job over a 3 or 3* Chef job, while still doing any 5 Chef jobs or 5* anything jobs first.

It was a glorious few days of a system that made perfect, intuitive sense to me, and then it went away.

temple posted:

the problem was jobs depend on each other, so setting something to the highest priority wouldn't ensure it was completed. So, a chef needed food to cook so the gofer needed to be set to high priority too. the dupes needed to be managed much like the other system all over again. they should rebuild the job system so it distinguishes which tasks are related so they all get prioritized when one does. the devs are probably doing that now.
I'm assuming that there's some kind of "I can't do any of my main job jobs, I need (X) gofer task completed before I can job, I will pop that in my queue" logic in the background somewhere, if not then that's quite the oversight.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Feb 17, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

welp, just had my first hellbase collapse in a while. thermo regulators rarely overheat but they did. dicked around with those long enough to run out of water. my water purifier + aquatuner combo worked well enough but ran out of power. set up a nat gas area and everyone got the slime lungs. fml. my farm was good tho.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Electrical grid strain feels like a huge chore to me. In repeated tries I've ended up with a base just completely stuck on expansion because I can't do anything until I've researched and built out an entire grid of heavi-watt wire / transformers. This would bother me less if all the early power sources weren't so cumbersome to deal with that it's basically impossible to build sub-grids in a sane way.

Also, there really needs to be some way to siphon liquids rather than always building pumps just to transfer all the water from pool A to pool B.

Also also, bottlers/unbottlers not being connectable to pipes is really annoying, but I think that keys into the broader issue of only having water/gas pumps rather than any kind of 'natural' input for pipes/vents.

Main Paineframe posted:

:yeah:

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Except the water was full of food poisoning still and now my water supply is completely infected.

gently caress. I took a look at my water and turns out this is why everyone in my colony keeps getting food poisoning. How the hell do I kill all these germs?

Ok, so I can disinfect it by dropping the liquid through some chlorine. I'm doing that, so now I just need to rejigger my water setup so all water passes through the disinfection setup before being passed into my main water tank.

Slime fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Feb 18, 2018

temple
Jul 29, 2006

germs will die from extreme cold or heat. this patch seems like germs are quite comfortable in any gas.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

temple posted:

germs will die from extreme cold or heat. this patch seems like germs are quite comfortable in any gas.

The ingame info for germs says they're disinfected by being in chlorine. I don't have access to enough heat or cold to disinfect that way. You'd think I could just set up a big boiler but apparently not.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

chlorine will kill germs if germs get in chlorine. if chlorine is touching another gas, then the germs will live in that gas.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Slime posted:

The ingame info for germs says they're disinfected by being in chlorine. I don't have access to enough heat or cold to disinfect that way. You'd think I could just set up a big boiler but apparently not.

You are better off just Jeeping the waste water separate you can use it for plants. You don't want to boil water as the heat generation there is bad as in the end that heat kills most colonies

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

You folks think there’ll be more tools to combat heat eventually?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Just surround your food production with chlorine and make people wash their hands when entering the food storage. Food poisoning in the water supply isn't really a problem - it can't actually hurt anyone unless it gets into the food. As long as you control the actual infection vectors, it doesn't matter if the rest of your base looks like a biohazard zone in the disease view.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
easy way to at least partially disinfect wastewater is to have it dump into your steam geysers

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Lorini posted:

You folks think there’ll be more tools to combat heat eventually?

It would be really nice to have a "coolant geyser" of some form in the ice biome. There are tons of sources of infinite heat and since the whole map is a closed system, it's not surprising that heat ends being a big deal. Right now I guess you're supposed to use wheezeworts, but it seems like you need a gimmicky high pressure hydrogen atmosphere to get them to really do much. Hydrofans are hilariously terrible. Having an endless source of cold to balance out all the heat seems logical.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Don't those anti-entropy thingies you sometimes find in cold biomes reduce heat? Maybe I misunderstood what I was looking at when I found one.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

there is a coolant machine in the ice biome and it is the anti-entropy machine. it eats hyrdogen and removes 80w of heat.

edit: and the steam generator is supposed to be a middle step in cooling geyser water but geysers don't get hot enough lol

temple fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 18, 2018

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Oh cool, I haven't run across one of those anti entropy machines yet. Kind of a shame it runs off hydrogen since that's so useful for power, but at least it's renewable.

What kind of food setup do people end up using in the late game? Right now I'm doing fine by collecting wild peppernuts and growing berries. Everybody, even my guys with top tier jobs, seems OK with this arrangement as long as I have decent decor. Is there any real reason to work up to growing sleet wheat?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Because then you can be :smug: on youtubes that you've got a setup that can run infinitely on sleet wheat food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

temple
Jul 29, 2006

some people are using an exploit to manually water plants like sleet wheat. if you manually deliver water a plant in a planter box, the water temperature doesn't transfer. so you can use hot water without making the plants hot.