Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

It would be really weird if the tick-tok birds weren't Coyote, what with their being the "thousand eyes" and his etheric form being covered on thousands of eyes and all.

I don't buy that, I reckon they're something else entirely. It might just be coincidence how early they physically disappeared from the story, but I don't think its an accident we started seeing them less once Kat became fully involved with Annie's life, They're never ever seen in the same scene together. Exception: The bridge, which is also the only time more than one conveniently happen to be present.

Also Zimmy hates looking at both the birds and Kat. :tinfoil:

Edit:

Jetamo posted:

He knocked over a building on the Court side during the whole Anthony-Is-A-Sad-Broken-Man thing.

Everyone is how Anja described it during "Blinking," specific to people, not property.

madjack fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Also, in case anyone didn't scroll down past the comic today, volume 6 is out.

I'm waiting for the next volume of the soft covers. Why did I buy volume 1 in Softcover?!?
Because the hardcovers were out of print.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

maswastaken posted:

Pretty sure it'll be a long time before he can top "Screamed at a 12 year old girl" and "Went into a murderous frenzy at a 13 year old girl" as the boldest things he ever did.

It always stuck with me, and it's both such a Ysengrim and Annie moment, that when she's a moment from death at his hands, she looks at his feral state and what she feels the most is pity

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

It would be really weird if the tick-tok birds weren't Coyote, what with their being the "thousand eyes" and his etheric form being covered on thousands of eyes and all.

I think it would be really weird if they were Coyote considering that they are explicitly technological which is the one thing Coyote isn't. Not to mention that if they were his eyes, he would've known a lot more about the circumstances of Annie's fall. We already know that Ysengrin buried the bird deliberately to have an excuse to go to the Court, I don't see why you need another level of subterfuge that they were Coyote all along.

They're some other mystery.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
It's also entirely possible that the buried Tik-Tok was entirely Coyote's doing. Order or force Ysengrin to do something, then eat the memory, so when he finds it months later, he's legitimately pissed, giving them an excuse to visit the court.

Also, didn't the robots have a depiction of a Tik-Tok on a banner at some point? That would seem to strengthen the association with Kat more than anything, even though I think that was long before she was really getting going with the robots.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 233 days!

Kantesu posted:

It's also entirely possible that the buried Tik-Tok was entirely Coyote's doing. Order or force Ysengrin to do something, then eat the memory, so when he finds it months later, he's legitimately pissed, giving them an excuse to visit the court.

Also, didn't the robots have a depiction of a Tik-Tok on a banner at some point? That would seem to strengthen the association with Kat more than anything, even though I think that was long before she was really getting going with the robots.

The Tik-Tok fell as part of saving Annie and grew into the cliff on the forest side. When Coyote and Ysengrin showed up to talk about it, Reynard understood that the whole affair was a pretense on Coyote's part. He also brings up the whole thing where a Shadow Man attempted to use a robot to steal him back to the Forest.

The whole "divide" between the Court and Forest is just a thing Coyote made to mollify the Court. The word for things Coyote does is "tricks." The word for assuming that the distinction between the two and what they represent are fundamental to him is "fooled."

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Hodgepodge posted:

Coyote wants to trick people into learning. That's his thing. If he wanted to gently caress the Court up, he wouldn't have promised not to interfere with them. But if he just wanted to assert his own power and smack down humans for being too proud, he wouldn't be Coyote; there are other gods who are much more into that sort of thing.

I'm not sure what his endgame here is, but I'm pretty sure it involves Ysengrin getting pissed off enough at him to finally stop following him around with puppy dog eyes somewhere along the line.

I'd put decent odds on him knowing that the end result of the Court's attempt to become god likes chilling with Annie, playing video games, and Paz.

Yes, Ysengrin sure is learning by being robbed of his memories.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 233 days!

Iceclaw posted:

Yes, Ysengrin sure is learning by being robbed of his memories.

My guess is the memory of almost killing Annie will be deployed at a key moment.

Like Chekhov's gun, except a memory stolen by an insane God (who also deliberately set up the whole almost killing Annie thing).

"Almost" does a lot of work there though, since she was under Coyote's protection at the time. He set up the whole situation, then stole the memory of it.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

IUG posted:

I'm waiting for the next volume of the soft covers. Why did I buy volume 1 in Softcover?!?
Because the hardcovers were out of print.

Tom just said on Twitter that volume 5 softcover is coming very soon, so your wait is almost over.

And I bought softcovers partially because I prefer that, but also partially for the same reason as you, nothing wrong with that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I, also, do not get it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

I, also, do not get it.

Apparently a reference to an Enix game called 7th Saga. There's an enemy in it that's called Pison. You kill him a first time, and then later you are ambushed by a palette swapped version saying he has become Red-Pison, so you have to kill him a second time.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He comes back a third time as "Metal Pison".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

idonotlikepeas posted:

He comes back a third time as "Metal Pison".

Ah so Kat will rebuild him after this goes horribly wrong

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Has anyone asked what Coyotes strength IS? Because I am wondering if Ysengrin is really getting what he is expecting here.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
I don't think you ever get what you expect when Coyote gives you a power.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

GlyphGryph posted:

Has anyone asked what Coyotes strength IS? Because I am wondering if Ysengrin is really getting what he is expecting here.

His insanity?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

I don't think he would ever offer Ysengrin anything but his actual physical strength, especially not his warped sense of humour.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I don't think you ever get what you expect when Coyote gives you a power.

Actual reply in avatar.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

joke's on ysengrin, coyote is actually giving away his -8 strength modifier he dumped to max charisma

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gorilla Desperado posted:

Tom just said on Twitter that volume 5 softcover is coming very soon, so your wait is almost over.

And I bought softcovers partially because I prefer that, but also partially for the same reason as you, nothing wrong with that.

Huh, I follow him on Twitter, and I missed that. Thanks.

EDIT: It was a reply to another person:
https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/963508613905113088

IUG fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 15, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Nah, this is fine. Everything is fine.

I was worried, but I’m glad things are going so well now :)

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
Everything is completely fine, yes. Annie and Smitty are okay with the events that are currently unfolding.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did they get a second alarm stick?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

All hail Shadow Ysengrin.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Did they get a second alarm stick?
Why? Smitty can just point to the left and say "BAM!"

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 16, 2018

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 233 days!
Terrifying, but with a sick mohawk.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Annie looks pretty pleased with Ysengrin getting what he wanted. :)

And we know everything is fine, Ysengrins eyes are green. If things were bad they'd be red.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
HE'S GOT THE SMASH BALL, GET THE gently caress OUT

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Hodgepodge posted:

Terrifying, but with a sick mohawk.
In a surprise twist the next three pages are Annie going full human torch on the forest because Ysengrin "stole her look".

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth TNT posted:

Annie looks like she's about ten things at once.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yeah.. Ysengrins wood body completely emaciated him and now he's shedding it but still looks like a loving corpse.

Coyote is like a bad genie.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

MikeJF posted:

Annie looks like she's about ten things at once.

I know, right?

It's amazing how expressive this comic can be for how "simple" the art is. Wonderful stuff. Especially all the Coyote faces in this chapter.

edit: gently caress me how am I supposed to wait until Monday now. This is cruel and unusual.

Mimesweeper fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 16, 2018

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Demiurge4 posted:

Coyote is a bad genie.

FTFY.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mimesweeper posted:

gently caress me how am I supposed to wait until Monday now. This is cruel and usual.

FTFY

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Coyote did nothing wrong

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I have a good feeling about this guys! Surely the big badass wolf won't abuse his recently obtained godlike strength, that would be silly.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Darth TNT posted:

And we know everything is fine, Ysengrins eyes are green. If things were bad they'd be red.

This also feels like a solution the court might come up with, despite Kat's protests that that won't really do anything.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Well when you're right you're right.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

....guys, I'm starting to think this situation might not actually be fine.

Brightman posted:

This also feels like a solution the court might come up with, despite Kat's protests that that won't really do anything.

Kat might know that, but the robots don't.

"Well darn, no red lights. I was totally planning on killing all humans, but if I can't make my eyes glow all red and scary then I just don't see how it's possible. Guess I'll just have to remain good."

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Couldn't they just use a red filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Couldn't they just use a red filter?

Don't give them ideas!