Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Holy poo poo, fixing that cache clock stuff makes a huge difference. JFC. Take GTA5, parts of the city, the framerate dropped to 50 and sometimes less, now it's 70 and above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good to know. I know overclocking it doesn't matter, but it's one of those things like memory speed where you need enough and then it doesn't matter.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

XP was the last OS to allow running 16bit installers :saddowns:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Is there something MS specifically calls out as being unsupported with installers? 16-bit compatibility exists through Win10 32-bit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Is there something MS specifically calls out as being unsupported with installers? 16-bit compatibility exists through Win10 32-bit.

No, people just don't bother to install non-64 bit Vista/7/8/10.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Are there even generic 16 bit installers? That is from before MSI (or installshield/wisescript) was a thing. Wouldn't every 16 bit installer be a custom executable/script that installs the application? Should run fine on 32 bit windows.
E: Just remembered PIF files, but those haven't been supported in a long time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

NihilismNow posted:

Are there even generic 16 bit installers? That is from before MSI (or installshield/wisescript) was a thing. Wouldn't every 16 bit installer be a custom executable/script that installs the application? Should run fine on 32 bit windows.

InstallShield was first released in 1990, coinciding with the release of Windows 3.0 more or less, and there were several competitors too. And when Microsoft officially endorsed InstallShield for Windows 95 usage, it was often still a 16 bit installer until well into the 90s.

That said yeah they run fine on 32 bit Windows 10 just as on 32 bit XP.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

Many old, old school 32bit installers still had a tiny 16bit portion that displayed a custom error window when you tried to install a 32bit app on Win 3.x
That little portion will make them hang up on modern systems.
Oh god I just remembered win32s, please make the pain go away :smith:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

sauer kraut posted:

Many old, old school 32bit installers still had a tiny 16bit portion that displayed a custom error window when you tried to install a 32bit app on Win 3.x
That little portion will make them hang up on modern systems.
Oh god I just remembered win32s, please make the pain go away :smith:

Forgotten about NT 3.51 already? :ghost:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

NT 3.51 was awesome.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

VROC keys in the wild. Intel is apparently really going through with this and is dumb.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12435/the-intel-ssd-dc-p4510-ssd-review-part-1-virtual-raid-on-cpu-vroc-scalability

mystes
May 31, 2006

Intel should try selling premium Spectre mitigation keys next.

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 16, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

Must.. segment.. the market..

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I really want to see someone benchmark it vs. mdadm and Storage Spaces.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So they announced it as a grand feature back with Skylake-X, but then decided to make them hard to get? The gently caress.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Has anyone taken one of those keys apart? I'd laugh if it was just a different configurations of resistors.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hadn't seen that Intel pcie switch card before, kind of surprised it is x8. The PM8533 is a 48 lane switch and it's using (8 x 4) + 8 = 40.. Strange.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm trying to think of why a layer below storage spaces direct is desirable.

Like, I'd prefer application-awareness of fault state and recovery, which is what you get with storage spaces

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So when are we going to find these keys on Aliexpress for $3

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

KKKLIP ART posted:

So when are we going to find these keys on Aliexpress for $3

Maybe never. They're almost certainly a small EPROM chip with a license key in there; Intel might be dumb, but they're not stupid. The bigger question is availability full stop: they were originally pointed as retail-channel add-ons, but they were basically never released and now might only come as part of OEM servers.

I still haven't seen a lot of evidence that they are notably superior to any other software-based RAID setup, though, so still wondering what the intended use case is for this thing.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I wonder how hard they would be to reverse engineer and duplicate - it seems like Intel's nearly asking for that if they're selling a platform that advertises locked capabilities but doesn't sell the key to unlock them.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

First Ice Lake samples are showing up in databases:

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_system.php?q=cea598ab9ea792a694b2d5e8cebc81a7cef3d5bd80a6dee3c5a0c5f8c8ee9da098&l=en

Lends credence to the rumors that Intel may skip Cannon Lake completely for most markets. Now Intel just has to, you know, have a releasable 10nm process.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

I wonder how hard they would be to reverse engineer and duplicate - it seems like Intel's nearly asking for that if they're selling a platform that advertises locked capabilities but doesn't sell the key to unlock them.

You assume anyone gives enough of a poo poo about some special-snowflake Intel soft-RAID to bother doing so.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
excuse me sir but booting from your storage array is a very important configuration used by many institutions such as:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Eletriarnation posted:

How to reverse engineer and duplicate:

Step 1) install literally any other software RAID

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm fully expecting to see Intel find some way to detect if Storage Spaces is running and gimp it on machines that don't have that key installed.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DrDork posted:

You assume anyone gives enough of a poo poo about some special-snowflake Intel soft-RAID to bother doing so.

I assumed that there is potentially a reason for the feature to exist at all since I don't yet actually know anything about its performance (do you, or are you just being reflexively negative?) and I agree that the likely customer base is already aware of the existence of free software RAID solutions. It in fact doesn't seem totally crazy to me that Intel could come up with some kind of crazy CPU-based special sauce to improve performance when the storage volumes involved are directly attached to the CPU via PCIe lanes, but I'll freely admit that I don't know much about the fine technical details there and was just pondering in public.

fishmech posted:

How to reverse engineer and duplicate:

Step 1) install literally any other software RAID

Shocking revelation, thanks as always for sharing your wisdom fishmech. :rolleyes:

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Eletriarnation posted:

I assumed that there is potentially a reason for the feature to exist at all since I don't yet actually know anything about its performance (do you, or are you just being reflexively negative?) and I agree that the likely customer base is already aware of the existence of free software RAID solutions. It in fact doesn't seem totally crazy to me that Intel could come up with some kind of crazy CPU-based special sauce to improve performance when the storage volumes involved are directly attached to the CPU via PCIe lanes, but I'll freely admit that I don't know much about the fine technical details there and was just pondering in public.

Nope, it is actually just a soft-RAID program built into the processor. There is no special-sauce hardware, it is an x86 program that runs on the cores. The only advantages of this are (1) you can boot from your storage array, unlike soft-RAID, and (2) it doesn't consume a slot, unlike hardware RAID cards.

It's super niche.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Nope, it is actually just a soft-RAID program built into the processor. There is no special-sauce hardware, it is an x86 program that runs on the cores. The only advantages of this are (1) you can boot from your storage array, unlike soft-RAID, and (2) it doesn't consume a slot, unlike hardware RAID cards.

It's super niche.

Well, also it supports NVMe, which as I understand it no hardware RAID cards support yet. Intel is now shipping storage 1TB-8TB 2.5" NVMe drives, and if you want to run them in some type of RAID you sure as hell can't connect them to your old trusty LSI MegaRAID.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I was mostly curious about the nature of the DRM anyway, but I'm wondering more about the assertion that there's no unique benefit to the feature because it's all in software and implicitly equivalent to existing software RAID. It's well known that modern processors derive greater efficiency for many operations from breaking down assembly language into micro-operations internally instead of running the assembly code. Honest question - is it not possible that Intel would be able to add in extra code paths in their processors for RAID calculations which can benefit from working on a lower level than 3rd party code would have access to?

I know that for the bulk of the operations there's probably a public and fully optimized way of doing it (bitwise XOR is pretty standard stuff) but does that apply to the entirety of the feature?

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 16, 2018

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Completely software RAID is displacing the hell out of hardware RAID anyways. A hyperconverged platform these days like a Nutanix box consists of multiple blades, each with their own storage hooked directly to their onboard SATA controllers, and all the redundancy is done alongside the replication in software. They boot off a little 64 GB flash module that plugs straight into a SATA port, the failure plan for which is "you call Nutanix and they send you a new one that you swap in and the blade will reconfigure itself from the backups on the other blades".

Intel could have made some money on this if they had gotten into it 15 years earlier, but proper software RAID is no longer a buggy mess and is becoming more and more commonplace even in the enterprise space.

Eletriarnation posted:

Honest question - is it not possible that Intel would be able to add in extra code paths in their processors for RAID calculations which can benefit from working on a lower level than 3rd party code would have access to?

It's possible, but they don't. As far as anyone can tell, the dongle basically tells the processor "present a virtual RAID controller to the PCI bus with features X, Y, and Z". Intel's OS driver interprets that as it needs to. I would be incredibly surprised if there were more going on in those dongles than that.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 16, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, ZFS is fantastic, mdadm is great, and all soft-RAID solutions prefer to just be handed drives directly.

I wish all processors could bifurcate PCIe down to x4 width so you could just use NVMe adapter sleds instead of needing the kind with a PLX switch built in. Forget Virtual RAID on CPU, I just want Virtual JBOD on CPU. :sigh:

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, ZFS is fantastic, mdadm is great, and all soft-RAID solutions prefer to just be handed drives directly.

I wish all processors could bifurcate PCIe down to x4 width so you could just use NVMe adapter sleds instead of needing the kind with a PLX switch built in. Forget Virtual RAID on CPU, I just want Virtual JBOD on CPU. :sigh:

Get servers with U.2 bays.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

I'm looking at completing a new system build, but I'm hesitant to purchase the Xeon E3-1270v6 I've been eyeing up. Would I be better off waiting to see if a Spectre/Meltdown-corrected refresh CPU comes out?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
They'll come out eventually, but probably not in the near future. If you need a system within the next 6 months (minimum), you're basically stuck with software/firmware workarounds like everyone else.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

I'm looking at completing a new system build, but I'm hesitant to purchase the Xeon E3-1270v6 I've been eyeing up. Would I be better off waiting to see if a Spectre/Meltdown-corrected refresh CPU comes out?

Spectre fix will take years. Meltdown has all ready been corrected in the OS by forcing cache purges during sys calls. There are optimizations in the later gen of chips to optimize this use case an minimize the performance impact. I wouldn't bother waiting, it will be a while.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Intel say they'll have a fix in silicon this year? Still that was very vague so I wouldn't wait for it unless you're building an IO-intensive server.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Didn't Intel say they'll have a fix in silicon this year? Still that was very vague so I wouldn't wait for it unless you're building an IO-intensive server.

The current-running assumption is that their answer was intentionally vague enough so that it covers the most likely scenario: that they've just incorporated the firmware patches into silicon, not that they've managed to re-engineer substantial chunks of the processor to fix the root problem.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't know what any of these words mean. Is this something new with Meltdown?

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1802.03802.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

It's basically a tool to automate the creation of malicious payloads that exploit meltdown or spectre. Metasploit for CPU vulnerability exploitation.