Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hmmm im thinking it's time to finally put the ps3 out to pasture and pick up a ps4pro or a switch. I've had the drat thing for 8+ years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm looking at a Land Rover LR3 with 200k+ miles and also a Magnum RT. Send help.

Seriously, this whole family planning thing has me thinking about wagons like I never have before. Like space and child seats taking precedence over manual.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone have cool plans for the weekend? Happy Friday y'all!

House work yay!

I just pressure washed my paver patio, now i have to re sand the joints and then seal it because I was a dumbass and didn't seal it the first time hence the reason i had to pressure wash it. Then i get to clean all the windows and wash both cars because they are loving filthy.

That's hopefully just Sat, gonna try to make it to the beach on Sun.

Seminal Flu posted:

The subwoofer in my HT setup downstairs weighs over 120 pounds. Klipsch for all of the speakers. Sounds p. good.

I virtually never use it. Instead, I use the family room's 5.1 setup with a wireless Klipsch 10" sub that doesn't do any room pressurization like the big one does, but :effort:

I agree, there has been so much progress in everything technological, any current audio setups will blow away audiophile rigs from 20 years ago.

I still want a Beosound 8500 or 9000 or hell, even a 3000, though.

For my smallish living room I was going to spend a bunch of money on a setup similar to Lloyd's until I heard how good a 2.1 Bose Cinemate sounded. You can laugh because BOSE but these things sound amazing, all you do is plug it into the TV and it's like you have a 5.1 system because the GEM speakers image so well. They are selling used for $300 and imo are some of the best deals out there in terms of a home theater system for smaller sized rooms. For large rooms you still need to go 5.1 tho.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 16, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've got two words for you: Polk Audio.

IDK why I just like them and they're fancy enough for me :shrug:.

BraveUlysses posted:

hmmm im thinking it's time to finally put the ps3 out to pasture and pick up a ps4pro or a switch. I've had the drat thing for 8+ years at this point.

I piked up a switch a few months ago and it was enough for my gaming needs that I took advantage of the crypto bubble and sold my 1070 for $500, bought a 1060 for $225, and resold the 1060 for $375. I'm back to my GTX 970 and that's enough to tide me over the next few years I think, with the Switch taking up whatever free gaming time I'll have during school.

No doubt, it is underpowered. But the games are so good (Bayonetta :allears:) that it makes up for it. And my 970 can play KSP so I'm set for awhile.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kimbo305 posted:

I'm looking at a Land Rover LR3 with 200k+ miles
Well, it got to 200k, so it can't be a terminally bad one.

But remember that the reason it's called the LR3 in the US is that they'd tainted the Discovery name with reliability concerns to the point that they genuinely thought people wouldn't buy one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BraveUlysses posted:

The Switch is awesome for folks who can only play in spurts (kids, etc.). The OS is really slick and you can jump back into a game within about 3 seconds of turning it on. Love the portability of it even if I'm sitting on the couch playing while the TV is in use. Buy the one that has the games on it that you want though.

I'd avoid the switch thread on here unless you want a ton of fan/super hyped responses.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Polk is solid bang for the buck gear IMO. Their massive lineup means you can get everything from 100 dollar bookshelves to 2000 dollar towers and they also have some pretty beefy center channels which a lot of companies fail on and is a pet peeve of mine. Like if you don't have at least one 3 way center with 6.5" drivers in your line up I don't wanna even talk to you.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

No, he's completely right.

I also think there's a point where it becomes overly expensive with a lot of audio kit, and I honestly can't see the benefit to spending four figures on an AV receiver. Bluntly, my hearing isn't that good.

Also 80s non-Amstrad-chintz AV kit often looks cool as hell.

Ditto on the hearing.
I had a Harmon-Kardon AV receiver, but it was an older unit with only 2 HDMI inputs, that I bought refurbished. It still works, but decided it didn't want to pass HDMI video through any more, so I replaced it with a $200 open-box Denon receiver from Best Buy via eBay. Works fine with the Parts Express Dayton 5.1 speaker setup I bought at the same time as the Harmon-Kardon.
As far as old stuff, I do like the look of vintage gear, but I really do like all the tech and features in my new stuff.
It was really cool having the '70s Kenwood I scrounged from somewhere, though. Big old wood and aluminum thing. I had to clean a disgusting amount of cigarette tar off of the brushed aluminum, but the thing worked perfectly. Still does, as far as I know. Gave it to my cousin to use in a bedroom system, where you don't miss not having remote control. Loved watching those twin VU meters jump.

Unrelated, Steam is having a Lunas New Year sale currently. A lot of the stuff on my wish list is 50% off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thanks for the bachelor party idea suggestions guys, we found a groupon for an escape room/go cart deal so we're gonna get food, solve a puzzle, try to vehicular manslaughter each other and then hit a few bars.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

Switch is dope. Zelda is amazing. MarioKart is fun to play. I have not gotten into Odyssey because my kid wants to play it any time I get it out. Splatoon 2 is supposed to be fun but it is just a one player game so I haven't bothered getting it. It is a really impressive piece of hardware.

For audiophiles I bought flush mount in wall speakers from Monoprice (their expensive carbon fiber ones) and a Sony 7.1 receiver. I have no doubt ruined my hearing over the years but with a nice sub this does the job filling my space. I have a projector and 110" screen. Watching blu-rays at home is 90% of the movie theater experience.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I have some nice Polk towers for my main speakers, some Polk R50 towers as my rear surrounds, and a Polk center but I don't remember what model. For bass I have a pair of Polk powered 12" subs at 600w each.

I drive it all with an Onkyo NR-616 if I remember correctly. It all sounds fantastic and I'm really quite happy with it.

Nice job turning your video cards into cash. I'm running a 980 and it handles games just fine, even at 3440x1440 so I haven't even considered replacement.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Like I'm not knocking you for having kit that does x thing well, I'm just explaining to you why people buy pretty old electronics because you seemed to not understand. I mean i literally have a cineplex screen level of speaker output in my house, and I'm not talking output levels for my room, I'm talking 200 seater cinema screen levels. I understand big and loud really well, it's my industry.

...but I also like pretty things and some old stereo kit like the B&O stuff looks as good switched off as it performs when it's on. I wasn't suggesting it was better at all, just cool.

:iiaca: it's like buying an old car you've always liked the look of despite modern cars being better in every respect, sometimes it's not just about 'better'

You're right, I hear ya. I wasn't acknowledging the difference between buying old stylish stuff and buying pedestrian old stuff just out of nostalgia. I was speaking more towards the latter. I guess that's kind of insulting, I only meant to comment on how good consumer level stuff is these days.

And yeah, Polk has some nice stuff, best car stereo I ever ran had all Polk cabin speakers with an Infinity sub.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kimbo305 posted:

I'm looking at a Land Rover LR3 with 200k+ miles and also a Magnum RT. Send help.

Seriously, this whole family planning thing has me thinking about wagons like I never have before. Like space and child seats taking precedence over manual.

Magunm RT's are awesome. Its not up on youtube yet, but the newest hotrod garage has them building one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdfizp4UIGA

I wish I could find a not beat to hell one. Everyone I see seems to have already been lifted to fit 28" wheels under it.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

veiled boner fuel posted:

Polk is solid bang for the buck gear IMO. Their massive lineup means you can get everything from 100 dollar bookshelves to 2000 dollar towers and they also have some pretty beefy center channels which a lot of companies fail on and is a pet peeve of mine. Like if you don't have at least one 3 way center with 6.5" drivers in your line up I don't wanna even talk to you.

Yeah it's pretty hard to go wrong with Polk. I've got what could be called one of their worst speakers, at least for what they were priced at in their day (RT500s, with their disappointing bass, muddy mids and mediocre separation) and yet they've been my on-and-off daily since 2012 and I'd still hold em up next to some speakers I've got a lot more money into.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just remember my dad instructing me when he helped install my first car stereo when I was 13. Even though we didn't have a lot of money, he told me that, if I was confused about brands, that I couldn't go wrong with Polk Audio speakers and Kenwood headunits. How, even at their worst, their circuit design is responsible and they're "less-dishonest" about wattage ratings on the box. He showed me a JVC amplifier and a Kenwood amplifier, both "rated" for 900 watts, and broke them open and showed how the Kenwood, while it was lying, at least had the power transistors properly mounted and sunk, with adequate heatsinks and airflow, and how the JVC was slapdash and didn't even countersink the mounting screw holes.

I remember at his A/V repair job (that he did for 30 years, and still does part-time on weekends, Steiner Electronics) a customer dropped a big 12 inch Polk Audio home theater subwoofer. Polk told Steiner's that they should "destroy" the speaker instead of sending it back for repair. This usually ended with the techs plugging the speaker wires into an outlet or something for fun to see how they could destroy it, but instead he asked his boss and got to take the woofer and control board home. We built a new box for it (ported, audio wool, everything) and it still serves as the main HT subwoofer.

And yeah they do make a beefy center channel speaker. We've had one for maybe 20 years now that hasn't blown the cone foam or anything and still sounds great.

They're not the highest of the high end, but even at their worst they're better than a lot of other brands.

(On reddit this is where someone would call me out with an /r/hailcorporate for what looks like a shill).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

I just remember my dad instructing me when he helped install my first car stereo when I was 13. Even though we didn't have a lot of money, he told me that, if I was confused about brands, that I couldn't go wrong with Polk Audio speakers and Kenwood headunits.
The Kenwood KDC-PSW9521 is my favourite head unit.

If an audio manufacturer can give me just one thing, let it be a nicely tactile volume knob with absolutely no push-it-to-do-X secondary functions.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The Kenwood KDC-PSW9521 is my favourite head unit.

If an audio manufacturer can give me just one thing, let it be a nicely tactile volume knob with absolutely no push-it-to-do-X secondary functions.

If they could do this radio without a push function I would be perfectly happy forever. I like that Kenwood you named but wish it came in something other than silver.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

If they could do this radio without a push function I would be perfectly happy forever. I like that Kenwood you named but wish it came in something other than silver.
It's DMASK+, so it's plain black when you're not using it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

There's a line of cop cars 6 miles long forming a couple miles from my house. That's weird.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I'm looking at a Land Rover LR3 with 200k+ miles

lol.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Anyone have cool plans for the weekend? Happy Friday y'all!

Crib shopping apparently. And of course we have to go early so that we will be sure to get caught in the blizzard on the way home.
Sometimes I don't understand women.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Why does steam display download rates in MB/s? All last night and today I thought there was something hosed with my connection until I realized what was going on.

Side note, it's hosed that we have two data rate units that use the same letters just with different capitalization. I know it's Mbps vs MB/s but I mentally switch the p for a / and vice versa so it's annoying to keep track of.

E: Incidentally, I noticed all this because I finally got a second SSD, so I can transfer over all the open-world games I'd stashed on the HDD, along with downloading the ones I'd left uninstalled for a while. Last time I had Doom '16 installed it was filling my first SSD to within a few GB of max capacity so it stuttered; runs so much smoother when it's got room to breathe.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 16, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Enourmo posted:

Why does steam display download rates in MB/s? All last night and today I thought there was something hosed with my connection until I realized what was going on.

Side note, it's hosed that we have two data rate units that use the same letters just with different capitalization. I know it's Mbps vs MB/s but I mentally switch the p for a / and vice versa so it's annoying to keep track of.

E: Incidentally, I noticed all this because I finally got a second SSD, so I can transfer over all the open-world games I'd stashed on the HDD, along with downloading the ones I'd left uninstalled for a while. Last time I had Doom '16 installed it was filling my first SSD to within a few GB of max capacity so it stuttered; runs so much smoother when it's got room to breathe.

Because it's metering % the file size downloaded and not the transfer rate?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Seminal Flu posted:

There's a line of cop cars 6 miles long forming a couple miles from my house. That's weird.

Funeral procession? Any local first responders pass recently?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

skipdogg posted:

Funeral procession? Any local first responders pass recently?

Yup, two long-time officers killed and the turnout is extraordinary.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

We've had one for maybe 20 years now that hasn't blown the cone foam or anything and still sounds great.

On this point, when I got my Crown Vic a couple of years ago, I gug out a JL Audio 10" subwoofer that I bought - used - almost 20 years ago and didn't get to use because I literally did not have anything with a trunk to put it in (and I didn't want to fill my hatch with visible speakers), and I was amazed that both the foam and cone were still in excellent shape. Once I got it in a properly sealed box, it sounds great. I've beat the poo poo out of it with no signs of it giving up.

I'm more familiar with car audio stuff, but Polk stuff has always been decent equipment for the $$. I like Kenwood and Pioneer for head units. Speakers it will vary depending on what I want to use the for/in.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Larrymer posted:

The Switch is awesome for folks who can only play in spurts (kids, etc.). The OS is really slick and you can jump back into a game within about 3 seconds of turning it on. Love the portability of it even if I'm sitting on the couch playing while the TV is in use. Buy the one that has the games on it that you want though.

I'd avoid the switch thread on here unless you want a ton of fan/super hyped responses.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Switch is dope. Zelda is amazing. MarioKart is fun to play. I have not gotten into Odyssey because my kid wants to play it any time I get it out. Splatoon 2 is supposed to be fun but it is just a one player game so I haven't bothered getting it. It is a really impressive piece of hardware.

man that's all very tempting...i do have a 3 y/o and i'm sure she'd love to play it when she's a bit older and understands games a bit better

i guess the best answer would be both consoles :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

man that's all very tempting...i do have a 3 y/o and i'm sure she'd love to play it when she's a bit older and understands games a bit better

My little dude is 3 1/2, his sister is 5 1/2. He is the one who loves to play. Mariokart is kickass because it has this neat feature for driving assist. There are two settings, one setting doesn't let the car go off the track (so no falling off rainbow road, etc) the other is that the car always moves forward whether or not the gas is pressed. I can be racing for real on my screen, the kids can be racing and having fun and no matter what they finish within ~20 seconds of me. It is truly excellent with the training aids for the kids.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Surprise hit with me for the Switch was Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle.
It came with the console and I thought it was just going to be mini games but it's more like Mario meets X-Com in which you shoot bunnies in the face

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

I wish I could find a not beat to hell one. Everyone I see seems to have already been lifted to fit 28" wheels under it.

Honestly, given how much of the interior dimensions are like a van, it would probably fit right in with the feel of the car.
I'd be 100% sold if there were a manual. Instead, I'm like "is the 5 cuft extra cargo volume of a V70 worth it?"

Seminal Flu posted:

Yup, two long-time officers killed and the turnout is extraordinary.

Always wondered, does it make it a good time to do crime everywhere where the procession isn't?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

i guess the best answer would be both consoles :v:

I've had both an Xbox One and a PS4 since the launches of both and I've played my Xbone probably 50x more than I've played the PS4, mostly because the majority of my friends play xbone, but partly because the online service is wildly better & I like the controller considerably more. Also Forza destroys Gran Turismo at this point.

Whatever you do, absolutely never go to the Xbox One thread unless you want to read bad posts by PS4 owners who are very angry how other people spend their money and have the data to back up their superior decisionmaking skills with japanese sales charts.

I really wouldn't mind a switch too though.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I believe the Optimal Gamer Strat has always been have a gaming PC and PS4 (or have xbox + ps4 since xbox and PC usually have the same titles, and the PS4 has more exclusives) then have a nintendo console for party games, first party titles, and especially if you have kids

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The only thing I probably wouldn't really consider buying Polk for is subs. It's possible that I'm just wrong but whenever I audition subs from a popular speaker company (Polk, Klipsch, Infinity, B&W, etc) I frequently get the feeling that they're phoning it in on the subs because they know a certain percentage of people will just buy their subs so they "match" their speakers without any real regard to price vs performance. SVS and Hsu are my go to.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

kimbo305 posted:

Always wondered, does it make it a good time to do crime everywhere where the procession isn't?

That's been my theory, as well. I'll never test it, but I'll forever wonder.

2700 police cruisers in procession.

Twenty-seven hundred

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Well, it got to 200k, so it can't be a terminally bad one.

But remember that the reason it's called the LR3 in the US is that they'd tainted the Discovery name with reliability concerns to the point that they genuinely thought people wouldn't buy one.

Ok, apparently it has 240k miles on it. Miles on a Land Rover are like dog years, right?
I'm totally intrigued now. There're very few cars for which I wouldn't at least hesistate upon hearing that it's 240k on the clock.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Seminal Flu posted:

That's been my theory, as well. I'll never test it, but I'll forever wonder.

2700 police cruisers in procession.

Twenty-seven hundred

Typically volunteers from other areas come in to fill in for the regular patrols.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I believe the Optimal Gamer Strat has always been have a gaming PC and PS4 (or have xbox + ps4 since xbox and PC usually have the same titles, and the PS4 has more exclusives) then have a nintendo console for party games, first party titles, and especially if you have kids

Yeah, I haven't really gamed on either console in about 8 months ever since you mentioned Sacriel's stream for PUBG in like June of last year. Since I don't have kids, I decided to get an Acer Predator XB271HU a month or so ago, which upped my K/D about .40 points because apparently my previous monitor was a potato and I didn't even know it.

But it's super handy being able to watch loud Netflix shows and HBO's insanely bass-heavy audio mix late at night with my headphones connected directly to either of the console controllers without waking up the wife. With both, I never have to worry about one of the online services being down!

Ask me about spending $900 to redundantly watch HBO and Netflix :thumbsup:

Obligatory PUBG highlight
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareTubularTruffleImGlitch

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Yeah, I haven't really gamed on either console in about 8 months ever since you mentioned Sacriel's stream for PUBG in like June of last year. Since I don't have kids, I decided to get an Acer Predator XB271HU a month or so ago, which upped my K/D about .40 points because apparently my previous monitor was a potato and I didn't even know it.

But it's super handy being able to watch loud Netflix shows and HBO's insanely bass-heavy audio mix late at night with my headphones connected directly to either of the console controllers without waking up the wife. With both, I never have to worry about one of the online services being down!

Ask me about spending $900 to redundantly watch HBO and Netflix :thumbsup:

Obligatory PUBG highlight
https://clips.twitch.tv/SquareTubularTruffleImGlitch

Nice!

Yo we should have an AI PUBG night and slaughter dudes together. There’s gotta be at least three others here

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Nice!

Yo we should have an AI PUBG night and slaughter dudes together. There’s gotta be at least three others here

Count me in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I have it, but I am not good.

• Locked thread