Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

Leela kinda reminds me of Lana from Archer; on paper they're kind of the 'grounded, sensible woman' archetype to balance out the wacky and corrupt manchildren they're paired with, but they really just turn out to be a different, often scarier kind of crazy from the rest of the cast, which still plays off them well, especially since they're both among the most physically formidable people on the show.

This is a good and accurate parallel, and I love both of those characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

My metric for the Simpsons is the Treehouse of Horror Test.

It's the one episode a year when they can do anything and go all out.

If that's not funny, there's no point watching the rest of the season.

Aren't they mostly just movie parodies nowadays?

(Maybe they always were and I'm just not well-up on the context for them.)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Aren't they mostly just movie parodies nowadays?

(Maybe they always were and I'm just not well-up on the context for them.)

They always were for the most part

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That's when I think South Park when WAY down hill and I quit watching. The early seasons where there wasn't a current social topic as the focus of the episodes were by far the best. My favorite episode is definitely when they travel to Aspen. So many funny jokes in that one. A couple of more recent episodes that I did find good where the ones where aliens traveled through a portal. Brought up the illegal immigration issue which as relevant if not more relevant today. The other one was the High School Musical episode.

The high school musical one had the “let’s make bullying kill itself” song, right? The first time I heard that I cracked up. It’s so very wrong, but so hilarious.

South Park took a bit of a poo poo in 2008 or so for me, but around season 15 or 16 it came back pretty strong. Humancentipad leaned a bit heavy on current events but even now it’s still really funny. I haven’t seen the latest two seasons but I hear it’s on a skid again.

Law and Order SVU aged so bad. Why can’t original l and o, or CI be streaming anywhere? Those were fantastic.

E:though the writing for the show is iffy these days, the South Park games nail what made the show fantastic in its early days. Worth a rental/sale purchase if that’s what you’re looking for.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The high school musical one had the “let’s make bullying kill itself” song, right? The first time I heard that I cracked up. It’s so very wrong, but so hilarious.

Nah that's a different one. The one with "let's make bullying kill itself" is the one where Butters is being horribly abused by his grandmother, and Stan tries to raise awareness about bullying and basically ends up manipulating and being horrible to Butters because he makes the campaign all about himself.

The High School Musical one is where all the girls have a crush on this one boy who is constantly singing and dancing. The boys all think the girls like him because of the singing and dancing, so they try it too, but it turns out the kid hates singing and just wants to play basketball, but his dad beats him because he won't have a sweaty macho jock for a son.

Both are hilarious (and disturbingly dark what with the whole children being regularly assaulted by their parents/grandparents)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The whole bullying episode is shockingly on point with how bullying is endemic to society (it has the whole running gag with bullies in turn being bullied by someone higher on the totem pole in the exact same way, culminating in literally Jesus bullying a guy) and an anti-bullying campaign being hijacked by a person who makes it all about their own ego and fails to actually accomplish anything.

It's also the one that ends with Jackin It in San Diego.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I, Claudius is a classic, but some aspects of it I do not think aged well with how far women have progressed.

Aged since when, 50AD? Women were not permitted to participate in Roman politics. The only woman who ever got a real foothold into it was Livia Augusta, and she did it by making her namesake in the Sopranos look like a toddler.

Re: Futurama and the Leela/Fry relationship - it had a very satisfying conclusion in The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings when Robot Satan takes back the hands he'd loaned Fry to make him a brilliant musician. When Fry tries playing for himself he's bad and everyone leaves... except Leela, who wants to hear him play because it's him playing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One of the oddest things about early South Park is how Butters is virtually non-existent (I'm pretty sure he isn't even in the movie at all, or if he is he isn't more than a background character) but characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are all on the "major supporting character" tier immediately below Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of the oddest things about early South Park is how Butters is virtually non-existent (I'm pretty sure he isn't even in the movie at all, or if he is he isn't more than a background character) but characters like Officer Barbrady, Stan's Uncle Jimbo and Dr Mephesto are all on the "major supporting character" tier immediately below Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman.

Butters came into the foreground during the seasons in which Kenny was actually dead. The creators realized at around the time of the movie that they wouldn't be able to move forward with the show unless they got away from their set of gags which were already wearing thin.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself)

Because there isn't a solid wi-fi connection, I'm using an old mp3 player when I have to work outside. Offspring's Americana album came up in the mix and there were two particular things that stood out for their dated-ness.

Walla Walla: The big item noted to have been stolen was a VCR.

Pretty Fly (for a White Guy): "At least you'll know you can always go on Ricki Lake"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CommonShore posted:

Butters came into the foreground during the seasons in which Kenny was actually dead. The creators realized at around the time of the movie that they wouldn't be able to move forward with the show unless they got away from their set of gags which were already wearing thin.

Yeah, Butters was more of a background/tertiary character on par with Craig or Tweak back then.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Craig or Tweak

I haven't watched the show in ages, and was surprised to learn an episode revolved around them becoming a couple.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Whiz Palace posted:

I haven't watched the show in ages, and was surprised to learn an episode revolved around them becoming a couple.

I haven't watched South Park in 8 or 9 years

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

Them being a couple is a fairly major subplot in the most recent game. You ever find Yaoi art of them as a collectable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kinda funny that South Park has basically fully rotated its secondary cast to make the kids more relevant once the jokes about the adults wore thin. They even started giving Kenny characterisation and his own episodes and arcs. Downside is they're overplaying Randy badly though. (and the less said about late season Mr Garrison the better, probably)

IIRC, Tweek/Craig was an oddly popular fan pairing that the show decided to acknowledge and play with.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think the key difference between modern Simpsons and revival Futurama is that while both are mostly mediocre, there were a few new Futurama eps that were able to match the heights of the original series (Such as The Late Philip J. Fry, The Prisoner of Benda, and Murder On the Planet Express), while the Simpsons hasn't been able to even come close to episodes like Bart's Comet or Marge vs. the Monorail.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

I want to say that Officer Barbrady got sidelined because Trey hated doing the voice.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Jedit posted:

Aged since when, 50AD? Women were not permitted to participate in Roman politics.
They didn't even have proper names.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I know this is the thread for bad episodes, but Fresh Prince gets brought up a lot as a series that aged well and today I happened to rewatch one episode that has one of my favorite gags of any series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMPvMdK1ri4

(Sorry for the bad quality, it's surprisingly hard to find these things online)

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself) and she's talking about an episode of Oprah she's missing. The topic? "Transgender people - which bathroom do they use".

Ouch.

Do they still have those Maury episodes where you have to guess if someone is a man or a woman? That wasn’t so long ago.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Samuringa posted:

I know this is the thread for bad episodes, but Fresh Prince gets brought up a lot as a series that aged well and today I happened to rewatch one episode that has one of my favorite gags of any series

I quite like this little moment when Uncle Phil gets annoyed not because Geoffrey makes a fat joke about him again, but because he's lazy about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8i8lfsoGk

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Jedit posted:

Aged since when, 50AD? Women were not permitted to participate in Roman politics. The only woman who ever got a real foothold into it was Livia Augusta, and she did it by making her namesake in the Sopranos look like a toddler.

Re: Futurama and the Leela/Fry relationship - it had a very satisfying conclusion in The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings when Robot Satan takes back the hands he'd loaned Fry to make him a brilliant musician. When Fry tries playing for himself he's bad and everyone leaves... except Leela, who wants to hear him play because it's him playing.

...and then every time they had to bring back the series they would break up Fry and Leela again immediately so they could get back to the will-they-won’t-they plot.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

Caught an episode of Married with Children this morning where Peggy had to get a job because Al wouldn't buy her a VCR (that's dated by itself) and she's talking about an episode of Oprah she's missing. The topic? "Transgender people - which bathroom do they use".
Ouch.
Did they use the word transgender?

Samuringa posted:

Fresh Prince is the best. Most of the jokes are actually funny, the characters are really well ridden for a 90s sitcom and the actors were great at both drama and comedy.
The audience also actually seemed to have a real reaction to it instead of being 99% canned laughter.
I've posted this clip before but this has to be one of the best and most tear jerking scenes in a sitcom. You totally get Will Smith getting in to dramatic acting after watching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmerFuzRNZ4

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

BioEnchanted posted:

I quite like this little moment when Uncle Phil gets annoyed not because Geoffrey makes a fat joke about him again, but because he's lazy about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA8i8lfsoGk

Lazy or referential?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAXX-tr0gzg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SEX BURRITO posted:

Do they still have those Maury episodes where you have to guess if someone is a man or a woman? That wasn’t so long ago.

Holy poo poo I forgot about those. That's... ugh

The epitome of this thread

Edit: also post/username lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sarcopenia posted:

Did they use the word transgender?

I misheard. It was transsexual.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

SEX BURRITO posted:

They still do that in Japan. I've seen a show where they get foreign guys on and show them three women and they have to choose which one is most attractive. The catch is that one of them is a (deliberately ugly) woman, one is transgender and one is a man in drag.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sejanus is my boy!!! When Star Trek TNG came out, my first thought when I saw Picard was "Hey, that's Sejanus!" I must have been about 9 or 10 when TNG first aired. "I Claudius: was one of my favorite shows. We had all the episodes taped off of PBS and I used to power-watch them as a kid.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jedit posted:

The way their sexuality was portrayed would hopefully not pass muster today.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Gorilla Salad posted:

My metric for the Simpsons is the Treehouse of Horror Test.

It's the one episode a year when they can do anything and go all out.

If that's not funny, there's no point watching the rest of the season.

I think they've left a lot of fruit on the vine with the Halloween episodes.

JAWS: Wiggum, Sea Captain and Professor Frink on the Orca hunting the shark. Mrs. Crabapple gets eaten in the opening scene. Ralph is the kid on the raft. Quimby wants the beaches open, etc.

EXORCIST: Lisa is possessed. Rev. Lovejoy and Ned come in to perform the exorcism. Bart thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

HALLOWEEN: Springfield IS Haddonfield. Maybe make make Bart a young Michael Myers

PSYCHO: Skinner and his Mom. Practically writes itself.

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: Lisa, Bart and Nelson (or Milhouse) lost in the woods. Writes itself again. Crazy Cat Lady can be the witch if you need one.

SEVEN: Wiggum and Lou hunt down the killer. Comic Book Guy is gluttony, Homer is sloth, Burns is greed, Crabapple is lust, etc.

TEXAS CHAINSAW: Cast the Simpsons as the crazy family. Homer is Leatherface. Grandpa is grandpa and so forth. Insert other characters as victims.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017
Skinner & The Superintendent has aged badly now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

They actually were going for this with Skinner in the show itself for ages before the joke ran thin and they introduced her with no fanfare.

I wonder what a Simpsons take on Get Out would be.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

BiggerBoat posted:

I think they've left a lot of fruit on the vine with the Halloween episodes.

JAWS: Wiggum, Sea Captain and Professor Frink on the Orca hunting the shark. Mrs. Crabapple gets eaten in the opening scene. Ralph is the kid on the raft. Quimby wants the beaches open, etc.

EXORCIST: Lisa is possessed. Rev. Lovejoy and Ned come in to perform the exorcism. Bart thinks the whole thing is hilarious.

HALLOWEEN: Springfield IS Haddonfield. Maybe make make Bart a young Michael Myers

BLAIR WITCH PROJECT: Lisa, Bart and Nelson (or Milhouse) lost in the woods. Writes itself again. Crazy Cat Lady can be the witch if you need one.

SEVEN: Wiggum and Lou hunt down the killer. Comic Book Guy is gluttony, Homer is sloth, Burns is greed, Crabapple is lust, etc.

TEXAS CHAINSAW: Cast the Simpsons as the crazy family. Homer is Leatherface. Grandpa is grandpa and so forth. Insert other characters as victims.

Why make jokes about cruddy old scary movies when you can do the most biting satire audiences have ever seen!

Like Avatar! (circa 2011)

Or Paranormal Activity! (circa 2012)

And Hunger Games! (in 2016)

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

londonarbuckle posted:

Skinner & The Superintendent has aged badly now

You are wrong.

It was an unforgettable luncheon, and you are wrong.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i do like the concept of lisa as a participant in the hunger games at least

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mogidolaon/status/964370745559171074

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been loving this poo poo on Twitter lately. I've seen some ridiculously good ones that I can't find right now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFVSdlBray8

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Na, that would have been spread over 3-4 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Sarcopenia posted:

I've posted this clip before but this has to be one of the best and most tear jerking scenes in a sitcom. You totally get Will Smith getting in to dramatic acting after watching it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmerFuzRNZ4

I don’t even have to click that to know that it’s Will’s father abandoning him, again. That’s a rough scene.

I don’t think Will Smith is an amazing actor (his wife is, though), but he is very good, and his career arc has been pretty phenomenal.