Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Sounds good to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are people's opinions on the GBC Perfect Dark game? I never owned it back when I actually had a GBC, but would be interested in checking it out now, if it holds up at all.

It's a Metal Gear-style game with really big sprites and a bunch of gimmick sections/bosses - first-person sniper sections, top-down jeep chases, clunky crosshair shooting, etc. I suppose it's not awful but the actual Metal Gear game for GBC is leagues better.

While I'm here: the Turok GB games are very samey European-style run-and-gun games, the Duke/Keen GBC games are total trash, both Daikatana GBC and the Nintendo-published 007 game for Game Boy (nothing to do with Goldeneye or Rare, they were just cashing in on the hype) are surprisingly fun Zelda-style action/adventure games.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll just check out MGS then.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just buy Thief Gold/2/3 separately and don't make the mistake of tainting your library with nuThief or even worse, trying to play it.

I love new Thief, one of the best games of the past decade! But I get why fans of the original don't necessary dig it. Since MGS is my fav series, I just love a good fun stealth game, and this to me is a very good fun stealth game. Well done stealth gameplay, great level design as well, the labyrinthine city is cool to traverse. Just pretend it's called Steampunk Batman.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Heavy Metal posted:

I love new Thief, one of the best games of the past decade!

You're loving insane.

Anyway, bad news about the System Shock remake: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/2115044

Scope creep happened and apparently it deviated significantly from being a System Shock remake, so now Night Dive have put it on hiatus while they figure out which direction to head in. :(

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is that unbound website reliable? I don't know much about crowd sourcing websites besides kickstarter.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I loving knew that was going to happen. They tried to make a AAA title on indie money and instead of just, y'know, remaking System Shock with updated visuals they decided to make some pointless "reimagining" with poo poo nobody asked for like "shatter tech."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought they were also making ss3 to do new stuff in, why feature creep the remake at all

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lemon-Lime posted:

You're loving insane.

PC Gamer liked it (sorta), 70% of steam reviewers like it. I don't think people who like games I don't like are insane, I can't see where you're coming from.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

PC Gamer liked it (sorta), 70% of steam reviewers like it. I don't think people who like games I don't like are insane, I can't see where you're coming from.

Sounds like one of those games where it's good or decent if you judge it by its own merits, but sucks when you judge it by the standards of the beloved classics it shares a name with.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

site posted:

I thought they were also making ss3 to do new stuff in, why feature creep the remake at all

SS3 is by a completely different team and company being led by Warren Spector. Don't expect that for another few years though, they're still looking for a lead designer position.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Sounds like one of those games where it's good or decent if you judge it by its own merits, but sucks when you judge it by the standards of the beloved classics it shares a name with.

No, it's genuinely bad (or generously, maybe extremely mediocre now if they fixed the AI and sound propagation bugs that were there at launch) even judged on its own as a stealth game.

Also, amusingly, it's like Invisible War in that arbitrary level size limits imposed by consoles force a ton of immersion-breaking load screens.

It's a shame, since it was extremely pretty, but the writing is abysmal and the actual gameplay is not good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i'm pretty sure those bugs are fixed and it's... okayish

like, it is seriously not as good as OG Thief but it's not, like, painful to play in the way that something like Aliens Colonial Marines or that fuckin Ride to Hell game is, it's just kind of boring and not great. it's the kind of game where you shouldn't go out of your way to get it on its own, but if you pick it up in a bundle with stuff that's actually good (like the other Thief games) you might get a couple hours of enjoyment out of it

e: keep in mind with me saying this that new Thief was a full priced game and you'll see why it gets so much vitriol

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, it's genuinely bad (or generously, maybe extremely mediocre now if they fixed the AI and sound propagation bugs that were there at launch) even judged on its own as a stealth game.

Also, amusingly, it's like Invisible War in that arbitrary level size limits imposed by consoles force a ton of immersion-breaking load screens.

It's a shame, since it was extremely pretty, but the writing is abysmal and the actual gameplay is not good.

Very good game. I played it at launch and I have no vitriol, of course everybody has their own experience and perspective on entertainment.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

SS3 is by a completely different team and company being led by Warren Spector. Don't expect that for another few years though, they're still looking for a lead designer position.

Oh

Well maybe night dive should just split the project in two and release the remake and undercut Spector by actually putting out a new game first, says me the person with no game dev experience

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Heretical Doom. Holy moley! This looks super good! Mod itself.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What are people's opinions on the GBC Perfect Dark game? I never owned it back when I actually had a GBC, but would be interested in checking it out now, if it holds up at all.

It's very difficult, mostly because it isn't very good. Neat little artifact though and I think it does unlock one or two things for the game proper.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I've been meaning to play nuThief, I really liked Dishonored and I want to like, but am super bad at, the original Thiefs, so it seems like it falls into the right area for me.

I'm disappointed by the System Shock remake delay, but then again, I was always more excited about SS3 than this remake. Is there an estimated date for the source port?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

catlord posted:

I've been meaning to play nuThief, I really liked Dishonored and I want to like, but am super bad at, the original Thiefs, so it seems like it falls into the right area for me.

NuThief seems to take more cues from Dishonored than it does from the classic Thief games. NuThief has an equivalent to the Blink move from Dishonored (called a 'Swoop')

Admittedly, I haven't had the patience to play the old Thief games. Bobbin Threadbare did LPs for the whole series, which are worth watching to see how good the classic Thief games are, and how bad nuThief is. He also covered The Dark Mod, which recreated Thief in the Doom 3 engine.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Max Wilco posted:

NuThief seems to take more cues from Dishonored than it does from the classic Thief games. NuThief has an equivalent to the Blink move from Dishonored (called a 'Swoop')

Admittedly, I haven't had the patience to play the old Thief games. Bobbin Threadbare did LPs for the whole series, which are worth watching to see how good the classic Thief games are, and how bad nuThief is. He also covered The Dark Mod, which recreated Thief in the Doom 3 engine.

If Mr. Plinkett does the new Thief game I'll believe it's bad.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Night Dive should use the break from System Shock to remaster Turok 3 :pray:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Someone in this thread gifted me Thief Gold a while ago, shoutout to whoever it was because it is still an awesome experience once patched up a bit. A couple levels are bad (Downwind Thieves Guild ughhhhhhhhh) but on the whole it’s really cool and does loads of stuff right.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Gobblecoque posted:

OOH drat right, I'd love a PC port of that. The only thing I'd like to be changed is adding more enemies to the levels. They were pretty sparse because of the drat N64's memory constraints.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

skasion posted:

Someone in this thread gifted me Thief Gold a while ago, shoutout to whoever it was because it is still an awesome experience once patched up a bit. A couple levels are bad (Downwind Thieves Guild ughhhhhhhhh) but on the whole it’s really cool and does loads of stuff right.

:tipshat:

I always felt Thief was halfway to being a great game but the monster levels really it down. Also god drat Thief and System Shock 2 have the most terrifying videogame spiders imaginable.

Have you got Thief 2 btw? As that is by far the better game, level design is amazing and it doesn't have the duff monster levels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Convex posted:

I always felt Thief was halfway to being a great game but the monster levels really it down. Also god drat Thief and System Shock 2 have the most terrifying videogame spiders imaginable.

Have you got Thief 2 btw? As that is by far the better game, level design is amazing and it doesn't have the duff monster levels.

Cheers! The spiders are pretty freaky but can never top Dark Messiah’s for me.

I haven’t got Thief 2 yet but will definitely pick it up when I do my sale shopping tomorrow.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Heavy Metal posted:

If Mr. Plinkett does the new Thief game I'll believe it's bad.

I played the entirety of IW as a Deus Ex fan and it's absolutely one of the most abysmal games I've ever played. I played the entirety of Dishonored as a Thief fan and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything like Thief and I would never play it again (nor would I play the expansion/sequel/sequel expansion). I couldn't even finish Retard4.

My point is that there's just no objective way to judge the quality of a spiritual sequel under the reflection of love for its predecessor. If you're not such a crotchety old fart that you can still enjoy spiritual sequels, that's something to be envied, but you can't expect a thread for 30-year-old video games on an irrelevant comedy forum to not be filled with crotchety old farts who disagree with you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ryuga Death posted:

Is that unbound website reliable? I don't know much about crowd sourcing websites besides kickstarter.
I haven't backed things on it myself so I can't speak for their delivery methods, but I have seen a couple of books (Ashens' Terrible Old Games series) get released out of it.

Gobblecoque posted:

The System Shock team and the remaster team are two separate groups, as I understand it. The remaster team are doing Forsaken at the moment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Unbound themselves is quite reliable and professional. It's really the author you'd need to worry about being unreliable.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

they're hiring for ss4; ss3 already came out but they titled it "prey" by mistake

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Convex posted:

That's why I haven't bothered with Thief 1; those monster/undead levels seem like a pain, and Thief 2 (the only game I have, along with Deadly Shadows) seems to move away from that.

skasion posted:

Cheers! The spiders are pretty freaky but can never top Dark Messiah’s for me.

It's been a couple of years since I've played it, but I'm the same in that Dark Messiah's spiders really got to me. There's a bit where you're going through caves and you find a chamber coated in webbing with the webbed-up bodies hanging from the ceiling. The webbing you step on makes a really gross sound, and then you see the spiders off in the distance. It's one of the few times where, as an adult, a game has really scared me; not like surprise-jumpscare, but where it pushed me to a point where I had to pause the game and step away from the computer to compose myself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I really liked Thief Gold more than II, but I'm tend to be in the minority. II is a more polished game overall and with better level design, but The City was so much more real to me in Gold. Immersion was a big deal to me then, too. Even the zombies are relatively creatively used in the story world, IMO, they're not explained, but its implied that they're dried out old dead people (rather than the recent dead who dominate zombie media) who are reanimated either because it's spooky, because some elder god and a cataclysm that ate up The Old Quarter did it, or (my head canon) the wacko tech employed by the City wakes dead bodies up, and that's the tradeoff for having wireless lighting.

I'm probably "objectively wrong" about all this, but it's a wrong that made me enjoy the heck out of Thief Gold.

Even still, the sheer length of Return to the Haunted Cathedral annoyed me. Brother Whatsisname can rot in Hammerite Hell.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Turok 1 and Turok 2 remasters are now available on Xbox One The All In One Entertainment Platform™.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Thyrork posted:

Heretical Doom. Holy moley! This looks super good! Mod itself.

heretical doom is top notch, one of my fave doom mods of recent times. plus you can play original heretic with it too, for which its basically like brutal doom but without all the creepy poo poo.

and holy poo poo night dive are doing forsaken!? i cant wait to play that game again. its kind of just a faint memory to me at the moment, i played it on a demo disc back in the day, but i love six degree of freedom games. i wish someone would do a descent remaster or source port.

i bounced pretty hard off turok 2 with the lair of the blind ones, i missed one of the dumb objectives along the way and navigating that level is a nightmare.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

juggalo baby coffin posted:

and holy poo poo night dive are doing forsaken!? i cant wait to play that game again. its kind of just a faint memory to me at the moment, i played it on a demo disc back in the day, but i love six degree of freedom games.
It was announced via screenshots relatively recently. Supposedly it'll be based on the PC version but with remixed content from the N64 version.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i wish someone would do a descent remaster or source port.
DXX Rebirth is a pretty good source port of Descent 1 and 2. Descent 3, well, that seems like a bit of a lost cause. And then there's Overload, a new game by the original devs that seems to be bucking the Kickstarter trend by giving people what was advertised. It should be out of Early Access in May/June, according to their latest update.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Kins posted:

It was announced via screenshots relatively recently. Supposedly it'll be based on the PC version but with remixed content from the N64 version.
DXX Rebirth is a pretty good source port of Descent 1 and 2. Descent 3, well, that seems like a bit of a lost cause. And then there's Overload, a new game by the original devs that seems to be bucking the Kickstarter trend by giving people what was advertised. It should be out of Early Access in May/June, according to their latest update.

Hm! How's the multiplayer co-op in that there Descent Rebirth?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

doctorfrog posted:

I really liked Thief Gold more than II, but I'm tend to be in the minority. II is a more polished game overall and with better level design, but The City was so much more real to me in Gold. Immersion was a big deal to me then, too. Even the zombies are relatively creatively used in the story world, IMO, they're not explained, but its implied that they're dried out old dead people (rather than the recent dead who dominate zombie media) who are reanimated either because it's spooky, because some elder god and a cataclysm that ate up The Old Quarter did it, or (my head canon) the wacko tech employed by the City wakes dead bodies up, and that's the tradeoff for having wireless lighting.

I'm probably "objectively wrong" about all this, but it's a wrong that made me enjoy the heck out of Thief Gold.

Even still, the sheer length of Return to the Haunted Cathedral annoyed me. Brother Whatsisname can rot in Hammerite Hell.

Stealth against monsters works just as fine as it does against humans in T1, so it's really down to personal preference whether any given person likes the weird sprawling dungeon-crawling or horror levels (in which case they'll prefer T1G) or if they want to rob mansions and banks (in which case they'll prefer T2).

I'm in the latter category and would kill for a T1G recut mod that just ditches every single dungeon mission and removes 99.9% of zombies and ghosts. :v:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lemon-Lime posted:

Stealth against monsters works just as fine as it does against humans in T1, so it's really down to personal preference whether any given person likes the weird sprawling dungeon-crawling or horror levels (in which case they'll prefer T1G) or if they want to rob mansions and banks (in which case they'll prefer T2).
I liked both and I have both. :) I'm a happy Thief player (I never played anything but Thief I and II.)

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

I liked both and I have both. :) I'm a happy Thief player (I never played anything but Thief I and II.)

Thief 3 with the Sneaky Upgrade is great, it fixes most of the problems and makes it play much more like the first two.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Max Wilco posted:

i'd love to read a detailed postmortem on nuthief. apparently it started out with a more DXHR style progression system but there was a shakeup with producers half way through production (the progression system was discarded because "garrett is already the master thief!") and all the game's mechanics went out the window. no idea why the plot stopped making any sense at all about half way through, though.

i remember before it was released seeing a promo video on the website where they were interviewing designers and the new production team side by side and they were taking these barely veiled digs at each other about "throwing work away" and stuff, i couldn't believe they actually had it up on the main page. i've occasionally tried to find it on youtube ever since but no luck.

i ultimately enjoyed it even if it wasn't very true to the originals, though i also specifically avoided using the blink move, and the "poppies" you could eat that would highlight all the interactables in the game world which was like chump mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

the nucas posted:

i also specifically avoided using [...] the "poppies" you could eat that would highlight all the interactables in the game world which was like chump mode.

"winners don't use drugs"