Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

What the gently caress. I've played through RE4 4-5 times and I had no idea. :stare:

Exactly. That's the magic of it; they don't tell you about it and didn't say anything about it and didn't make anything about it clear. They just quietly ratchet things up and down in the background and maybe this time we just won't bring in those snipers 'cause it seems like you're struggling, and maybe this time you get a green herb instead of a red one you fuckin' champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

So I tried Knack today just for shits because it was free and the Playstation threads love to joke about it being the best game ever. I went in expecting a mediocre beat 'em up. And then I got killed in the tutorial. A few times actually. For some reason, no matter how big you grow (which controls the size of your HP meter) you can only ever take like 2 hits from any enemy. And you never find enough of the bits you're made up to get back to full health either.

Who makes a beat 'em up like that? Taking hits is pretty much an essential part of the genre, so why the gently caress am I consistently made of wet paper?

I ended up uninstalling before finishing the first actual level.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

ShootaBoy posted:

So I tried Knack today just for shits because it was free and the Playstation threads love to joke about it being the best game ever. I went in expecting a mediocre beat 'em up. And then I got killed in the tutorial. A few times actually. For some reason, no matter how big you grow (which controls the size of your HP meter) you can only ever take like 2 hits from any enemy. And you never find enough of the bits you're made up to get back to full health either.

Who makes a beat 'em up like that? Taking hits is pretty much an essential part of the genre, so why the gently caress am I consistently made of wet paper?

I ended up uninstalling before finishing the first actual level.

I guess you just don't have the knack for it. :darksouls:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
The Secret of Mana remake has a nasty bug that causes the game to stop playing walking and attack animations. Magic works fine though! Good thing you can barely cast a basic attack spell 5-6 times before needing to use very expensive MP replenishers.

Just had it happen to me at the start of a boss fight so had to reset. For some reason I don't feel like getting back into the game at the moment.

e: it's funny, I remember as a teen just getting into SD3 after having been a big SoM fan, and really disliking how weapons stopped upgrading themselves and each character only had one dedicated weapon type, but now that I'm playing the remake and recalling how I kept needing to switch weapons around to get everybody's skill levels up and stuff I see how good that change was.

Zanzibar Ham has a new favorite as of 14:10 on Feb 17, 2018

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I don't get why Japanese companies like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix seem so reluctant to release the original versions of their old games on Steam or GOG. I'd pay a decent price for fixed versions of the original Resident Evils 1-3, Silent Hills 2-4 and Metal Gear Solid 1-2 (all of which have PC ports already) but despite the fact it would be guaranteed profit for like zero effort they just don't seem interested :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

The Secret of Mana remake has a nasty bug that causes the game to stop playing walking and attack animations. Magic works fine though! Good thing you can barely cast a basic attack spell 5-6 times before needing to use very expensive MP replenishers.

Just had it happen to me at the start of a boss fight so had to reset. For some reason I don't feel like getting back into the game at the moment.

e: it's funny, I remember as a teen just getting into SD3 after having been a big SoM fan, and really disliking how weapons stopped upgrading themselves and each character only had one dedicated weapon type, but now that I'm playing the remake and recalling how I kept needing to switch weapons around to get everybody's skill levels up and stuff I see how good that change was.

I've not encountered that particular bug, but I've had the game crash a couple of times for reasons I can't quite ascertain. Thankfully, the autosave feature is actually pretty good on that. I think it saves each time you enter a new room.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

I've not encountered that particular bug, but I've had the game crash a couple of times for reasons I can't quite ascertain. Thankfully, the autosave feature is actually pretty good on that. I think it saves each time you enter a new room.

Yeah, just had it crash on me for the first time. :(

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah, just had it crash on me for the first time. :(

What were you doing during that? I encountered a crash when a ton of spell effects were going off, but my first one was walking into a dungeon and hitting a zombie with my sword.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leavemywife posted:

What were you doing during that? I encountered a crash when a ton of spell effects were going off, but my first one was walking into a dungeon and hitting a zombie with my sword.

I was just swording things as well. But higher level weapons can cause debuffs, which apparently the game has some trouble dealing with even if no graphical effect plays, so that still might be it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Convex posted:

I don't get why Japanese companies like Capcom, Konami and Square Enix seem so reluctant to release the original versions of their old games on Steam or GOG. I'd pay a decent price for fixed versions of the original Resident Evils 1-3, Silent Hills 2-4 and Metal Gear Solid 1-2 (all of which have PC ports already) but despite the fact it would be guaranteed profit for like zero effort they just don't seem interested :(

They're getting there... slowly. Squeenix is anyway, Capcom is doing ok and Konami is a loving lost cause.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Many older Japanese games don't have the original source code. Up until fairly recently it was standard protocol to burn the original source code after development wrapped up, to make sure it didnt fall into a rival devs hands.

At the time people really didn't consider future remakes of then-modern games to be a concern.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
PES is literally the only game franchise Konami still cares about.

REmake2 will most likely be out on PC, so that leaves out 3 and Code Veronica for the classic ones. I don't think anyone's clamoring for ports of the others. MMX collections are coming out sometime this year. And it would be nice, but let's be frank, no one at Capcom even remembers Dino Crisis exists.

Squeenix is raking in the PC money tho, I wouldn't doubt if they ported any from their catalog at this point.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Capcom has been at least temporarily saved by the success of MHW after SFV failed to impress and MvCI tanked bigly. RE7 was only a modest hit for them.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Polyseme posted:

I guess you just don't have the knack for it. :darksouls:

:buddy:

Seriously though, how the gently caress did that thing get a sequel???

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

ShootaBoy posted:

:buddy:

The checkpoints are extremely generous and there’s almost zero loading time when you die. It’s actually pretty fun once you get into the groove of it, but I’m right with you on wondering who the hell greenlit a sequel to this.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

ShootaBoy posted:

I too am baffled, because on top of being a brawler (ostensibly) where you can only ever take 2-3 hits before dying, the balance is completely out of whack (seriously, I'd rather play as almost any enemy rather than Knack, because they have more health and better attacks with more range), the camera system is straight out of the PS1, the controls are pretty bad (right stick for dodging?) and the game looks eerily like an iOS game. Seriously. The cinematics look like an ad for Clash of Clans.

The only reason the game is playable at all is that you have unlimited lives and you get to keep your super meter while the yellow crystals respawn, so eventually, after dying a dozen times, you can super-attack your way out of everything until the next checkpoint.

The chests with random loot where you can choose between your own loot or whatever one of your friends found in the same chest is kinda neat, but nobody on my friends list has played or will ever play Knack, so it's pretty useless to me.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Feb 17, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Convex posted:

It's not "zero effort" to release those games at all, especially if we're talking about the ancient PC ports that ran on freakin' Windows 95. And if I understand it right, PS1-era games are just a nightmare to deal with in general because there were no real standards for 3D games at that point so everything is hacks and workarounds and custom code.

It does annoy me when games get perfectly good re-releases on console that just never make it to PC for no good reason tho. Cool that we're getting the DMC HD Collection on PC, but that thing's existed for how many years already and they're just now porting it?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Feb 17, 2018

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm still curious as to what misterbibs was going on about or referring to because I've read and re-read the posts and replies to said posts multiple times and still feel completely out of the loop.

Was there a recent controversy I'm entirely unaware of or does he literally make up his reality as he goes? I'm pretty sure religion has been 100 percent fair game in video games and books and movies and improv comedy and hentai comissions for a really really long time now

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Misterbibs is a heinously stupid idiot.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh I was figuring maybe he was extrapolating his very specific experiences growing up in a tiny community or something to "that's how the entire world works"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I bring a gift from the internet critic thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmxR_cMvK4

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lol! What the gently caress even lead to that

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

KingSlime posted:

I'm still curious as to what misterbibs was going on about or referring to because I've read and re-read the posts and replies to said posts multiple times and still feel completely out of the loop.

Was there a recent controversy I'm entirely unaware of or does he literally make up his reality as he goes? I'm pretty sure religion has been 100 percent fair game in video games and books and movies and improv comedy and hentai comissions for a really really long time now

Afterlife is from the nineties when they were still playing it safe. The depictions of the people in your Heaven and/or Hell are not human, but some kind of humanoid race that looks like a bunch of overweight cartoon ETs. I think the manual even straight up said that it doesn't take place on Earth.

Nowadays we live in a post-Megaten world and it really wouldn't be an issue. We're long past the time where every cross in a SNES game got its sprite altered for a Western release.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I'm not sure how saga 1/Final Fantasy Legend for the game boy got an American release when the game ends with the party getting mad at God for creating evil solely for the purpose of testing humanity and ends up killing him.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I'm not sure how saga 1/Final Fantasy Legend for the game boy got an American release when the game ends with the party getting mad at God for creating evil solely for the purpose of testing humanity and ends up killing him.

because obscure game boy rpgs weren't really on a lot of bible thumpers radars

like, there are/were probably a lot more blasphemous books out there than harry potter but harry potter is what everyone was reading when the books first started coming out so that's what those weirdos started painting as satanic and evil

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Mierenneuker posted:

Nowadays we live in a post-Megaten world and it really wouldn't be an issue. We're long past the time where every cross in a SNES game got its sprite altered for a Western release.

Hugely successful and well loved game Persona 5 has a boss gauntlet before the true ending that's straight up Uriel, Raphael, Gabriel and then Michael, the archangels. :v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Yardbomb posted:

Hugely successful and well loved game Persona 5 has a boss gauntlet before the true ending that's straight up Uriel, Raphael, Gabriel and then Michael, the archangels. :v:

Huh, all four of those guys were my bros in Persona 3 and 4. :shobon:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, but no one cares enough to get mad about stuff past the first hour of a game. The only thing people got really mad about with Persona 3 was the shooting yourself in the head with a gun thing, not playing Pokemon with religious figures. Same with pretty much any other game, unless someone brings it up nothing is going to happen, these groups aren't going to go digging on their own.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

You say that, but the thing is, in the past they absolutely did dig for that stuff on their own....right around the time Afterlife originally came out. Christian magazines were chock loving full of articles about how Final Fantasy VII was the latest ploy by Satan to steal your soul away.

Nowadays though, nobody cares even a little bit, and MisterBibs is talking out of his rear end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The last time I remember anyone getting mad about religion in a game was when the Flying Spaghetti Monster chuds were complaining that Civilization: Beyond Earth portrayed religion in a positive way instead of being a smug atheist utopia.

Leal posted:

I bring a gift from the internet critic thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGmxR_cMvK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFNgT81iA-c

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Feb 17, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StandardVC10 posted:

Huh, all four of those guys were my bros in Persona 3 and 4. :shobon:

And also Jesus Christ himself. And Satan. And Lucifer. Yes, both of them.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Samuringa posted:

And Satan. And Lucifer.

Satan, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Satanael, the gang's all here.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like Skinless Jesus in the original Shadow Hearts, aka Seraphim

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

food court bailiff posted:

You say that, but the thing is, in the past they absolutely did dig for that stuff on their own....right around the time Afterlife originally came out. Christian magazines were chock loving full of articles about how Final Fantasy VII was the latest ploy by Satan to steal your soul away.

Nowadays though, nobody cares even a little bit, and MisterBibs is talking out of his rear end.

It's always been a little random what games actually catch people's attention. I mean, didn't freaking Night Trap set off one round of controversy?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Christmas posted:

It's always been a little random what games actually catch people's attention. I mean, didn't freaking Night Trap set off one round of controversy?

Night Trap and Mortal Kombat made sense because it was based around footage of real people, it's really easy to show a clip of a teenage girl in her underwear being assaulted by a gang of men or a digitized sprite of a guy having his spine torn out and let it speak for itself.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

like, there are/were probably a lot more blasphemous books out there than harry potter but harry potter is what everyone was reading when the books first started coming out so that's what those weirdos started painting as satanic and evil

Yeah I didn't mean it that way I was just talking about Nintendo not allowing anything religious because they were really afraid of offending anyone back before the ESRB ratings were standard. The talk about religion just reminded me of how out of nowhere that ending was back when I was a kid. But since I'm reminiscing about the game there's nothing worse than having a mutant character randomly decide to evolve away every useful ability. The monster evolution mechanic was interesting to but without going by a guide you would occasionally end up with an absolute garbage monster from the beginning of game. Of course this was still a problem in saga frontier which was six games later and I hear the later games are even worse about it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mierenneuker posted:

Afterlife is from the nineties when they were still playing it safe. The depictions of the people in your Heaven and/or Hell are not human, but some kind of humanoid race that looks like a bunch of overweight cartoon ETs. I think the manual even straight up said that it doesn't take place on Earth.

Megaten actually started in the 80s IIRC.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Convex posted:

It's so weird to me that video games are the one medium so many people are fine with a huge chunk of releases just vanishing for good one day.

Brother Entropy posted:

This is it, exactly. No one cared about The Golden Compass until it got a movie. Then there was a brief storm about how it was anti-god and evil. Then everyone promptly stopped caring again once it turned out the movie was garbage and wouldn't be turning any kids into satans.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

It's so weird to me that video games are the one medium so many people are fine with a huge chunk of releases just vanishing for good one day.

Film and television were similarly laissez faire about preservation in their infancy. Like all things considered gaming has it pretty good, even when we lose the source code at least thanks to emulation and the prevalence of home releases there's very few games that have ever truly been lost to history. Meanwhile there are multiple Academy Award nominees that are just completely gone forever, parts of Metropolis are still just title cards describing missing scenes, countless hours of live television were just thrown away after broadcast, and the first Super Bowl currently survives entirely as a single recording someone found in an attic that can't actually be legally released to the public. The Library of Congress even archives game releases to the point where they've obtained games that were never actually released.

If anything it's actually getting worse as time goes on because multiplayer and Games As Service keep getting more and more integrated and commonplace. Like Farmville is a game that is unquestionably of historical value but there's really no way to preserve it as something you can actually play even if you have a perfect copy of the source code. Same with something like Dark Souls, even if you can technically complete it in offline mode losing the entire passive multiplayer element means the actual experience will never be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This is happening right now with Demon's Souls. The servers shut down for good in ten days. I've left it late, but am currently enjoying the hell out of it. It just wouldn't be the same offline.