Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That Treehouse Horror that ends with the mist the rip their skins off, that was some hardcore poo poo. Did they get any flak for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Samuringa posted:

That Treehouse Horror that ends with the mist the rip their skins off, that was some hardcore poo poo. Did they get any flak for that?

It's a fog that turns people inside-out.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Samuringa posted:

I don’t think it was any worse than Itchy and Scratchy and that’s pretty gruesome at times.

The nightmare on elm street parody properly scared me as a kid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

SEX BURRITO posted:

I don’t think it was any worse than Itchy and Scratchy and that’s pretty gruesome at times.

The nightmare on elm street parody properly scared me as a kid.

I seem to remember that they deliberately made that as a protest against the network demanding they tone I&S down a bit.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean the first treehouse of horror parodies a movie that at the time was almost a decade old, a comic that was 20 years old, and a poem that was 150 years old so them parodying Avatar like three years after it came out wasn’t a big deal
The problem also was that Avatar’s plot doesn’t have any lasting cultural relevance and the parody was probably awfully written, while EC Comics has influenced so much media, Poltergeist is a cultural touchstone, and the raven is the granddaddy of spooky poem writing

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like The Raven because it's basically about a guy who becomes so obsessed with the occult after losing his wife that he sees dark omens everywhere, even in a raven getting into his house. Just shoo the bird out mate, it's lost. It's a pest, not a prophet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

I like The Raven because it's basically about a guy who becomes so obsessed with the occult after losing his wife that he sees dark omens everywhere, even in a raven getting into his house. Just shoo the bird out mate, it's lost. It's a pest, not a prophet.

How dare you! That raven could become his bird pal and ease his loneliness!

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Loosely speaking of which, I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like six years ago and I loved it, but all the way through I kept thinking of The Simpsons. They must have recreated basically every scene in that movie over the course of their first ten seasons. Its weirdly impressive.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Considering his mindset the Raven was lucky the guy didn't develop an obsession with ravens and become a raven-themed Superhero.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BioEnchanted posted:

Considering his mindset the Raven was lucky the guy didn't develop an obsession with ravens and become a raven-themed Superhero.

You're forgetting The Crow.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The inside-out fog hit came right after Nighmare Cafeteria, which was also pretty gruesome despite not showing anything. The previous two segments parodied The Shining and Sound of Thunder.

The one other part of Treehouse of Horror that actually freaked me out somehow was the end of the Y2K segment. Bart and Homer eject themselves into space after accidentally boarding a rocket to the sun filled with the world's most annoying celebrities. Their sighing in relief while swelling like balloons and the offscreen "pops" and then the final silence was really disconcerting.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Calaveron posted:

I mean the first treehouse of horror parodies a movie that at the time was almost a decade old, a comic that was 20 years old, and a poem that was 150 years old so them parodying Avatar like three years after it came out wasn’t a big deal
The problem also was that Avatar’s plot doesn’t have any lasting cultural relevance and the parody was probably awfully written, while EC Comics has influenced so much media, Poltergeist is a cultural touchstone, and the raven is the granddaddy of spooky poem writing

Minor nitpick, but Hungry are the Damned used To Serve Man as a reference, which was originally a short story from 1950 and most famously the basis of a classic Twilight Zone episode.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Minor nitpick, but Hungry are the Damned used To Serve Man as a reference, which was originally a short story from 1950 and most famously the basis of a classic Twilight Zone episode.

There's a scene from Married... With Children where I want to say there's a sale at the shoe store, Al's getting swamped with customers, and he yells that catch-phrase, "To Serve Man.. it's a cookbook!!"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's a scene from Married... With Children where I want to say there's a sale at the shoe store, Al's getting swamped with customers, and he yells that catch-phrase, "To Serve Man.. it's a cookbook!!"

I checked and it was the episode where Al & Peggy went to Wanker County for Peggy's family reunion.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mister Kingdom posted:

I checked and it was the episode where Al & Peggy went to Wanker County for Peggy's family reunion.

Huh. At least I truly remembered that he quoted it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Thinking about it (And after rewatching a couple classic segments), I think the core issue is that classic difference between making a reference and actually telling a joke. I mean, take this loving phenomenal gag from "The Shinning" segment of Treehouse of Horror V:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eiWtwL_TrE

Most TV writers, if asked to do a parody of the Shining, would simply leave it at "Here's Johnny!", because that's the reference that everyone gets. But the writers of the classic Simpsons episodes were good enough to know that a reference isn't usually funny in and of itself-it's just a reference. Instead, they often used references and parodies as springboards for more jokes, which were further improved by the fluid animation and excellent VA. It's this kind of writing that made classic Simpsons episodes still funny and relevant two decades after they initially aired, as opposed to making bland and forgettable references to bland and forgettable recent movies.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inubkn_TmUs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

When I was an edgy preteen in junior high The Raven popped up in our reading book and I tried to get away with saying he got the bird as a pet after Lenore died and it was a poem about how he was hoping his pet would never leave him like she did.

I did not get a good grade on thst despite having backed my interpretation up with lines from the poem :negative:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Len posted:

When I was an edgy preteen in junior high The Raven popped up in our reading book and I tried to get away with saying he got the bird as a pet after Lenore died and it was a poem about how he was hoping his pet would never leave him like she did.

I did not get a good grade on thst despite having backed my interpretation up with lines from the poem :negative:

Aww! It gets an A+ from me! :kimchi:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Should done my strategy when I picked to read Dune, only to not want to actually read Dune, so I somehow made a essay using the text on the back and the appendix. Think I got a B or C from it.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: awkward, that was literally the first thing I posted in this thread.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Rirse posted:

Should done my strategy when I picked to read Dune, only to not want to actually read Dune, so I somehow made a essay using the text on the back and the appendix. Think I got a B or C from it.

If you picked to read it I'm fairly sure your teacher also did not want to read Dune.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
But Dune is good.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Can't wait for the new Dune movie. Denis Villeneuve hasn't let me down yet.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mu Zeta posted:

Can't wait for the new Dune movie. Denis Villeneuve hasn't let me down yet.

I don't know, I tried watching Enemy, and despite loving Jake Gyllenhaal, I just couldn't make it through the first few minutes.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

But Dune is good.

Sir my only comment was on whether or not a public school teacher had the time or energy to read a 412 page novel to double-check one kid's grade.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Sir my only comment was on whether or not a public school teacher had the time or energy to read a 412 page novel to double-check one kid's grade.

That teacher should have read it before that kid was born. At least twice.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

If you picked to read it I'm fairly sure your teacher also did not want to read Dune.

I doubt she did. If I remember right she was a teacher in who was in her thirties who loved books about lawyers, so I doubt Dune would fit her profile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Already taken.

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're forgetting The Crow.

As it should be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's a shame about the occult associations because blackbirds of any kind are cute, outside of Crows trashing crops and ravens eating carrion, but eh.. Everything does that if given the chance. Not either of those famous breeds but at work one summer I saw a blackbird chilling on the lawn with it's wings spread sunbathing. It was cute, I didn't know birds even did that. I tend to like any animal doing things you don't normally associate with that animal though, like a large insect that I saw at work also that I didn't recognise at all, but later saw preening (in the same way birds do, cleaning under it's wings and stuff) on the windowsill. I'd never seen an insect preen like that before, it was also kind of cute.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Not Operator posted:

Loosely speaking of which, I saw Citizen Kane for the first time like six years ago and I loved it, but all the way through I kept thinking of The Simpsons. They must have recreated basically every scene in that movie over the course of their first ten seasons. Its weirdly impressive.

So did everyone else. Citizen Kane is a bad movie, but it's a bad movie in the same way the dictionary is a bad novel. Both are essential for learning the language.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

BioEnchanted posted:

It's a shame about the occult associations because blackbirds of any kind are cute, outside of Crows trashing crops and ravens eating carrion, but eh.. Everything does that if given the chance. Not either of those famous breeds but at work one summer I saw a blackbird chilling on the lawn with it's wings spread sunbathing. It was cute, I didn't know birds even did that. I tend to like any animal doing things you don't normally associate with that animal though, like a large insect that I saw at work also that I didn't recognise at all, but later saw preening (in the same way birds do, cleaning under it's wings and stuff) on the windowsill. I'd never seen an insect preen like that before, it was also kind of cute.

https://youtu.be/sQOQdBLHrLk?t=1m6s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's just something that you come to understand eventually - everything does everything, it's just some things are rarer than others. Every animal eats meat, every animal eats plants but Carnivores only eat certain plants (like catgrass and catnip for felines) to aid digestion while herbivores aren't made to hunt other animals and so go after carrion or smaller injured prey.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Same, but with the Hobbit. However like Tolkien I spent a huge amount of time on that drat green door, so I kept with the spirit of the book.

poo poo, I think I even ended it with, "if you want to know more you'll have to read it yourself." My teacher must have just handed out grades without reading any of the book reports.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Not Operator posted:

In one of the episode commentaries, season...4 I think, they actually say that you could probably reproduce the entirety of the movie using Simpsons parodies.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BioEnchanted posted:

All animals are cute

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

RagnarokAngel posted:

In one of the episode commentaries, season...4 I think, they actually say that you could probably reproduce the entirety of the movie using Simpsons parodies.

The fact that some enterprising nerd hasn’t done it yet 20 odd years later makes me think that no, you couldn’t actually

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Calaveron posted:

The fact that some enterprising nerd hasn’t done it yet 20 odd years later makes me think that no, you couldn’t actually

Not even close, still...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ogS9t0YkQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Meanwhile, people keep doing these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55vvnnOBXfA