Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I had a great experience owning my 330Ci for 8 years. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

suck my woke dick posted:

Though I wonder to what extent those decisions were actually done by engineers and to what extent they were driven by dumbass requirements and an executive-imposed desire to force the customer to pay for basic maintenance which were then engineered in to the letter.

Looking it up the hood is so hard to get off because it's got a rear engine and the hood covers batteries for the hybrid engine that you'd kill yourself on if you got in there and started messing with instead of parts you'd be able to do anything with.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Looking it up the hood is so hard to get off because it's got a rear engine and the hood covers batteries for the hybrid engine that you'd kill yourself on if you got in there and started messing with instead of parts you'd be able to do anything with.

In that case they should have just screwed it down and put a "danger high voltage" sign somewhere though?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

In that case they should have just screwed it down and put a "danger high voltage" sign somewhere though?

Like this? (the actual batteries)

Seems like the stuff in the front being stuff you don't need to touch and the engine being in the rear and having it's own access makes the hood being removable but not easy for someone to open without tools seems reasonable. The door latch breaking easily seems like the unacceptable one.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like this? (the actual batteries)

Yeah but if there's nothing to do under the hood in the first place just bolt the whole thing down instead of making it operate like a normal hood but shittier.

quote:

The door latch breaking easily seems like the unacceptable one.

Yeah definitely. There's no real reason to not have it release the door (or fail to engage at all if you're worried about people accidentally opening their doors on the Autobahn) if you yank it without also pulling on the slider underneath. For that matter, if you already include a mechanical door release, why not just make it the main one.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

At least you can open it without power.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

http://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/964800099674218496

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

:vince:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Yeah but if there's nothing to do under the hood in the first place just bolt the whole thing down instead of making it operate like a normal hood but shittier.

They made it so it only really opens if you use a special tool and frame to open it and keep it open, you opening it requires two people to simultaneously jam two screwdrivers through a seam to pop a mechanism then jam it up to keep it from closing. If all they had done is bolt it closed they'd have been doing less to keep people out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/sehurlburt/status/965005400335532033

:capitalism:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Solution: never take VC money. It keeps the vampyres out.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The dumbest part of that conscious effort to maximize worker exploitation is that it doesn't even generate returns in the short-term.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They made it so it only really opens if you use a special tool and frame to open it and keep it open, you opening it requires two people to simultaneously jam two screwdrivers through a seam to pop a mechanism then jam it up to keep it from closing. If all they had done is bolt it closed they'd have been doing less to keep people out.

Tbf,german engineers ,especially german auto engineers are absolutly loving insane,the aproach to solving problems or inventing stuff is the most rube goldberg-est though logic i ever saw.they're pretty good at everything else though.

And a lot of car manufacturers push for special snowflake ways to work on their cars,to force people to go to official shops and dealerships for maintenance/repairs. Some auto oems barelly turn a profit from supplying parts to car manufacturers,they make their money on consumer replacement parts.continental and saint gobin for example.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mycomancy posted:

Solution: never take VC money. It keeps the vampyres out.

This is one reason for the rush to ICO's.

Many of which are absolute bullshit, but the overall % of good ones isn't much different than the VC picks.

And you avoid the VC nonsense.

Note: I have run companies that were VC funded. Not a big fan of it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

VideoGameVet posted:

This is one reason for the rush to ICO's.

Many of which are absolute bullshit, but the overall % of good ones isn't much different than the VC picks.

And you avoid the VC nonsense.

Note: I have run companies that were VC funded. Not a big fan of it.

The overall rate of "good ICOs" is 0% and the scam rate is 100%. Hope this helps

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Weatherman posted:

The overall rate of "good ICOs" is 0% and the scam rate is 100%. Hope this helps

same for VC picks, and if by accident you end up getting money out of it it's because some idiot with more money than sense wasted his

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it really is comical how bad the snapchat update is. too bad the people at the top never go bankrupt from this poo poo.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it really is comical how bad ... snapchat ... is. too bad the people at the top never go bankrupt from this poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Groovelord Neato posted:

elon musk could spend his money electing politicians that would undo this.

ps super genius elon musk once described himself as "socially liberal and economically conservative" which is how every idiot 19 year old describes their politics.

You mean libertarians, it's code for I'm a libertarian moron

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Weatherman posted:

Like this one?

https://thesunexchange.com

Buy solar cells and lease them to schools and businesses in the sunniest places on Earth. Mainly Africa.

The Sun Exchange arranges your monthly lease rental collection and distribution. Get paid in local currency or Bitcoin.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

VideoGameVet posted:

Like this one?

Buy solar cells and lease them to schools and businesses in the sunniest places on Earth. Mainly Africa.

The Sun Exchange arranges your monthly lease rental collection and distribution. Get paid in local currency or Bitcoin.

if there is no C then this isnt a ICO

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGameVet posted:

Like this one?

That’s a solar leasing company that happens to accept bitcoin. So far so good. Then it goes and gets stupid with blockchain and https://solarcoin.org and tell me, what the point of any of that? What problem(s) does this blockchain/ICO stuff claim to solve with the original idea?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

true leftist posted:

i will loving destroy each and every one of you. your bodies shall be as putty in my hands and your names will vanish from the book of ages, and i will take you all into my mouth and grind you in my teeth and swallow you and digest you and then i will poo poo you out into a turd deep in the desert where the rain never falls and a turd can lie for a thousand years without decomposing

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

There goes a v good poster :smith:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Flesh Forge posted:

There goes a v good poster :smith:

Don’t worry, she’ll be back.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL

https://twitter.com/ceejbot/status/965750766370668544

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Well, what is the preferred web framework for anti-harassment?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Steve Jorbs posted:

I dunno. What do the mods on SA use?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Ynglaur posted:

Reddit's system of segmenting off into ever smaller echo chambers seems to work.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

I thought twitter spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a machine learning department.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought twitter spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a machine learning department.
It all went horribly awry and the machine learned to call people cucks.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Edit: ^^ I like that interpretation more.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Kinda, but for how to make money off user data, not how to police their walled garden.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Steve Jorbs posted:

Rabbi on Rawls

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The dirty secret of "machine learning" is that it's easy to get away with excusing bad/nonfunctional results by just claiming it needs more training. :v:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Rabbi on Rawls
:pusheen:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

fishmech posted:

The dirty secret of "machine learning" is that it's easy to get away with excusing bad/nonfunctional results by just claiming it needs more training. :v:
Not replying to you, but no, nobody would accept that answer. The dirty secret is that if you drive the models in reverse you can see that their "platonic ideals" of the categories are crazy thus you can trick them with google toaster stickers etc. Though if guys like me know it then it's much of a secret, I suppose.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Rabbi on Rawls

lmao

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

Funny, that can work for developers/IT too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pangstrom posted:

Not replying to you, but no, nobody would accept that answer. The dirty secret is that if you drive the models in reverse you can see that their "platonic ideals" of the categories are crazy thus you can trick them with google toaster stickers etc. Though if guys like me know it then it's much of a secret, I suppose.

???

?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe: They do very well at their task, but if you peek under the hood they're relying on weird abstractions that are very exploitable.

The old secret was how narrow the "tasks" were but that's improving a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ynglaur posted:

Radium :v: