Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sebmojo posted:

Does an SSD make a lot of difference to performance in this?

Holy poo poo yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Will people notice if I'm wearing stolen clothes? Or only if I try to sell them?

rear end in a top hat guards keep wanting to search me and take all my stolen goods. Since that comprises a significant part of my wardrobe (and my weapon) this isn't good.
I need to dress better I think to keep them off me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

sebmojo posted:

it definitely will, yeah.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Does anyone know of a way to increase the amount of money traders have? The armorer I sell to is loaded, but the general traders are all flat broke.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

sebmojo posted:

Conversation load times are basically nil when on an ssd. Also booting up the game is incredibly faster.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Romes128 posted:

Come back with ur boys.

using a posse of dickheads who throw poo poo on a guy's house for disagreeing with them politically to beat up a drunk feels dishonourable. much better if i beat him up myself. i've never had a problem with winning any of the fistfights in the game though so i'm probably not understanding the need

re ssd: there are conversation load times without one?!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hey, those ancient treasure maps that you get from pre ordering? Yeah, dump that poo poo in the bin and forget about them. Not only are the contents pretty mediocre, finding them is literally impossible from the maps.

And I don't mean that in the sense that I don't want to search. I mean that the maps are entirely wrong. The first map shows you turning left at a house along the road and moving in a straight line into the forest. Cool. So you go to an abandoned house on the side of the road in about the right spot and ride into the forest. Nothing. Look all around, nothing.

Look up the answer online and the house referenced in the maps is not on the road, as the map says, but way back in the forest where it isn't visible from the road. You have to go way out of the way from the first house to find the damned thing, then wander around until you stumble on to the grave. You don't even get a tooltip until you are standing on top of it. And in the end, all you get is stuff that is pretty mid tier with warhorse branding on it!

Just loot armor off bandits. It is way more fun and you can actually get good stuff.

I didn’t preorder, but have been buying maps from vendors, and the one I tried to use didn’t make any sense with the world layout. Might not buy anymore of them if they are a waste. Sucks as that would be fun.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
in the house of god quest, I can't find the scaffolder. i talk to zmola who says the guy admitted to a crime and vanished while the foreman says come back at night. i go back at night but there's nothing to be done. is this a bug?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Damnit you can't have stolen items repaired.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Neurosis posted:

in the house of god quest, I can't find the scaffolder. i talk to zmola who says the guy admitted to a crime and vanished while the foreman says come back at night. i go back at night but there's nothing to be done. is this a bug?

I climbed all the way to the church top and there was no one there
Then I climbed down and as soon as I got down, I triggered a cutscene (which makes you climb top again, ugh). The trigger area is around lowermost ladder

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I found a bunch of bandits and guards fighting in the forest, jumped into the fray and realized that getting blackout drunk unequipped all my weapons so I just ran around in circles drawing aggro while the nice guards saved me, game owns.

I couldn't tell if looting the dead guard was going to get me in trouble but they didn't care about me looting bandits. idk

Major Isoor posted:

So, I know this has probably been asked a heap of times now, but what's the fastest/easiest way to get stealth up to five, so I can get the stealth-kill perk? Since I'm up to 'Nest of Vipers' and although I can get into the camp and wander around gathering intel on the Cumans and Runt's gang (before burning some of their arrows) easily enough, I'd like to be able to pick off some of the sentries around the place, to hopefully make things a bit easier, later on.

I know you can run around at night crouched and do nonlethal takedowns on everybody in town, but I don't know if it makes them hate you. You do get points though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neurosis posted:

Yeah, it's buggy. Wander around, there's a specific spot you have to walk through and it isn't obvious. When you do it triggers a cutscene and sets off the rest of the quest.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
You can grind some archery by shooting cows. They're big targets and don't run away. Cowhides sell well too
Not much though.

I think that equipping shittiest bow and arrows prolong it a bit, as it does prolong grinding in general

Also, Viper's Nest is going to suck no matter what you do. I replayed the mission and took on entire camp solo before triggering attack. Killed about 20 guys there, cleaned it out and then started mission proper.
I don't think there was any less enemies. Even archer sentries at bridge respawned.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 18, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Thing I have figured out:

There are some really neat perk combos out there. For example, unless there's some stacking rule that would prevent it, the "sadist" perk under Warfare gives you +1 strength when you Bleed an enemy, while Serrated Edge under Maintenance gives a +15% chance of bleed from weapons you sharpened yourself, and "bloodletter" under warfare also gives a "Greater" chance of bloodletting.

You can raise Maintenance very high by surfing the wave of damaging your sword at the grindstone and repairing it at the grindstone both.

Training with Bernard in the fighting ring using practice weapons is the best way to spend your time (repair your gear between sessions).

Block works better on Mouse Button #3 or #4 rather than Q

Things I have not figured out despite much attempting:

How the gently caress am I supposed to do those little dodge rolls bernard does

I've discovered a Nest? Where exactly?

why is there no way to auto switch between my shield and my torch

potential thread titles:

"You may not like it, but this is what real 1403 Bohemia looks like"

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I've discovered a Nest? Where exactly?

Nests are like little collectibles. You have to really look for them.
Out of dozen nests I've found, I've actually seen only one (hidden in a tree), and it had 2 necklaces in it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if it says there's a nest then somewhere in a nearby tree is a nest, and you can shoot it, and it will have two grutschen in it or something similarly unimpressive.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

How the gently caress am I supposed to do those little dodge rolls bernard does

You just press an directional input button when the timing for a perfect parry happens, i think part of the reason the game tells you to move constantly in combat is so you just do them automatically

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
This game is one of the most frustrating I've ever seen when it comes to how people talk about it versus how it actually plays, or at least appears to play. I haven't played it myself yet because I was waiting to make the decision after it had been out for a few days, but the disconnect between what it is and what people say it is ridiculous.

For example, most reviewers or comments I've seen say you have to practice and learn how to use your weapons and that's somehow unique to this game. For one, you don't actually do that, what you do is find someone at a certain point to unlock a skill. You don't start with all the combat functions unlocked and have to actual practice, you just have to find the glorified tutorial unlock. And the act of using your skills to earn experience or grow in proficiency is common to the genre for decades, how it works in Kingdom Come is no different than say Skyrim. Yes, the actual combat system is somewhat different but not so much on the progression side.

It is also, apparently, notable that you are a nobody in the game. A nobody who the game still revolves around while rapidly becoming a warrior savant and a significant influence on the larger events going on around the game. So apparently it's actually meaningful whether you have a label attached to you at the start of the game even if the lack of a label has no practical meaning versus other games where you do have one. Which isn't unique or difference, it's self-delusion.

None of that is a negative but it's very frustrating to constantly see people talk about how it's different or unique and it really doesn't appear to be.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

sirr thysse be an gruelle galloppethrough

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also when you get to the 3rd area of "clear the bandit camp quests" they start sending you after dudes in complete sets of armor, like closed bascinets, hauberk and brigandines, and pauldrons and chausses who are very good at swordfighting and you can make loads of money but they also gently caress you up if you let them surround you.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The thread title was changed by someone other than me. A moderator perhaps? :effort:

I wouldn't even know how to change it into something else. Some suggestions though, in case someone has the power:

Complaining about bugs until Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Bohemian Rhapsody - Kingdom Come: Deliverance
I put the evil in medieval - Kingdom Come: Deliverance

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

kingdom come: nothing is sexier than never taking a bath

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nessin posted:

This game is one of the most frustrating I've ever seen when it comes to how people talk about it versus how it actually plays, or at least appears to play. I haven't played it myself yet because I was waiting to make the decision after it had been out for a few days, but the disconnect between what it is and what people say it is ridiculous.

For example, most reviewers or comments I've seen say you have to practice and learn how to use your weapons and that's somehow unique to this game. For one, you don't actually do that, what you do is find someone at a certain point to unlock a skill. . .. . .

It just has skill-based "levelling" based on practice. Some skills do have "perks" which you have to unlock -- mostly those are just combat I think -- by doing the little training tutorial in Rattay, but the rest of them are just "practice till you get Rank X, then unlock choice of Rank X perks." Of course other games have used skill-and-practice based systems, but it's a little different from the "norm" for more fantasy themed RPG's -- there's no experience points here. If you want to grind Alchemy you need to grind alchemy for a few hours, or find other ways to get bonus points like books or trainers. Ditto herbalism, maintenance, etc. -- some of the skills like Maintenance have fun little minigames like grinding weapons but mostly it's just "pick a shitload of herbs to raise herbalism" "read a bunch of books to raise Reading" etc.

Until you practice a lot there are artificial game constraints that make you lovely. For example, archery is balls annoying because it has artificial arm shake until your skill gets high, and only way to get it high is to hit things, which is hard due to the arm shake . . .

nessin posted:

It is also, apparently, notable that you are a nobody in the game. A nobody who the game still revolves around while rapidly becoming a warrior savant and a significant influence on the larger events going on around the game. So apparently it's actually meaningful whether you have a label attached to you at the start of the game even if the lack of a label has no practical meaning versus other games where you do have one. Which isn't unique or difference, it's self-delusion.

None of that is a negative but it's very frustrating to constantly see people talk about how it's different or unique and it really doesn't appear to be.

I think the reviewers are expecting you to be either a prophesied hero or royalty (and they're also only a few hours into the game just like the rest of us). You do start out at the Absolute Bottom in a way that isn't common for these games: you're a peasant, not a special peasant, not a magic peasant, and you're treated like a peasant in a really detailed, granular way: for example, at one point in the early game, you're offered a chance to sleep in an actual *bed*, and a character who'd been entirely nice to you up till then just turns in a second and starts acting mean to you, because he's shocked that a mere peasant is being given such a privilege. There are a lot of other games out there where Hans Capon would be the protagonist and Henry would be a disposable redshirt.

Of course none of that stuff is particularly new if you've played elder scrolls games before but I think this game is probably just off-beat enough from "standard" fantasy RPG's that reviewers haven't really figured out how to talk about it intelligently yet.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Had a pretty hilarious bug where I ran into the wandering knight who challenges you to a duel. He's in full plate but I decided "eh gently caress it let's see how I stack up". He starts wailing on me pretty good and I'm barely keeping my shield up- I do a pretty basic counter and hit him on the top of the head with my warhammer and he goes out like a light, first hit. My perk that gives higher KO chance for head hits actually triggered (the text even popped up to let me know that was the cause). So he's laying there all contorted and poo poo but he gets up after about 10 seconds, then goes "well fair is fair, pay up!" and the game docks me my wager money and he starts walking off telling me I fought well.

I straight up knifed him in the throat and took all his poo poo with not a shred of guilty conscience. 10/10 this game is hilarious.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

nessin posted:

For example, most reviewers or comments I've seen say you have to practice and learn how to use your weapons and that's somehow unique to this game. For one, you don't actually do that, what you do is find someone at a certain point to unlock a skill. You don't start with all the combat functions unlocked and have to actual practice, you just have to find the glorified tutorial unlock. And the act of using you skills to earn experience or grow in proficiency is common to the genre for decades, how it works in Kingdom Come is no different than say Skyrim. Yes, the actual combat system is somewhat different but not so much on the progression side.

This is a bit of an oversimplification. You unlock combos through perks, yes, but the meat of the combat is learning to read you opponents and figure out how to *use* those combos. Really the combos are just for breaking guards, they don't do a whole ton of damage, especially the mace ones.

Learning to read the flow of combat, figuring out when you can hit and when you have been deflected, and how to pull off consistent perfect blocks is the hard part. it's more like Tekken than Skyrim in that sense. Encounters against decently skilled enemies involves kiting them around and deflecting their blows with perfect blocks so they don't eat up your stamina, and then poking at them to try and make an opening. A lot of times you will get thrown off on the first poke and have to do a succession of perfect blocks to make an opening, which is difficult to learn.

I've been spending a lot of time fighting the sergeant and I've seen myself noticeably improve. Not just in in game points, but my own technique. It's actually pretty good once you get it going.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 18, 2018

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

nessin posted:

For example, most reviewers or comments I've seen say you have to practice and learn how to use your weapons and that's somehow unique to this game. For one, you don't actually do that, what you do is find someone at a certain point to unlock a skill. You don't start with all the combat functions unlocked and have to actual practice, you just have to find the glorified tutorial unlock. And the act of using your skills to earn experience or grow in proficiency is common to the genre for decades, how it works in Kingdom Come is no different than say Skyrim. Yes, the actual combat system is somewhat different but not so much on the progression side.

while it is different from other games of its type, revolving much more around the challenges faced by medieval people and the social, political and economic structures of that time (i'm not saying it's 100% realistic in that respect, but it's certainly a lot moreso than any other game that springs to mind), i agree that there's a big gap between media coverage of it and how the game actually is. reviews seem more an exercise in confirmation bias (did i think it would be pure european jank and awful and it would be extremely misogynistic and regressive? well look here there's enough broken and you can sleep with multiple women so my view is confirmed and it's an awful thing made by a neonazi! is it totally different because of its focus on realism? definitely and it's great and totally different!) than anything else

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Of course the real way to kill anyone is to just shoot them in the face with an arrow, as in real life. Though if you do this to bosses then in the cutscene Henry will still stab them to death anyway :(

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Neurosis posted:

while it is different from other games of its type, revolving much more around the challenges faced by medieval people and the social, political and economic structures of that time (i'm not saying it's 100% realistic in that respect, but it's certainly a lot moreso than any other game that springs to mind), i agree that there's a big gap between media coverage of it and how the game actually is. reviews seem more an exercise in confirmation bias (did i think it would be pure european jank and awful and it would be extremely misogynistic and regressive? well look here there's enough broken and you can sleep with multiple women so my view is confirmed and it's an awful thing made by a neonazi! is it totally different because of its focus on realism? definitely and it's great and totally different!) than anything else

I'll confess, when I opened up the in game historical encyclopedia and saw there was an entry on "Jews" I instantly thought "oh nooooo"

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Question about the end of the prologue Has anyone beat this guy in the fight or is impossible?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Question about the end of the prologue Has anyone beat this guy in the fight or is impossible?

If you figure out a way to do it you're the first one who has

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
"Kingdom Come: lockpicking chastity belts in 100% historic 1403 Bohemia" Is definitely better.

Thanks for changing the thread title, stranger: :toot:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

I'll confess, when I opened up the in game historical encyclopedia and saw there was an entry on "Jews" I instantly thought "oh nooooo"

[reads 'responsible for September 11'] NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Neurosis posted:

[reads 'responsible for September 11'] NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ah yes, September 11, 1403

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
Kingdom come: Bohemian Alpha Males LARPing ITT

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

corn in the bible posted:

Ah yes, September 11, 1403

the codex isn't meant to be from the internal point of view of the game. there are some comments on the game itself in the codex, and some of the factual stuff in the game clearly conflicts with the codex - like one guy who the codex says died in 1402, which isn't a mistake.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

SlightlyMad posted:

"Kingdom Come: lockpicking chastity belts in 100% historic 1403 Bohemia" Is definitely better.

Thanks for changing the thread title, stranger: :toot:
Next time people want a thread title changed please send a PM to a mod. Reporting a post with a good title is also ok. If you don't have plat then ask somebody in the thread. It's not possible for us to be up to date with what is happening in every thread and direct communication works better than 3 pages of shouting into the well.

Anyways, I bought this game, it's downloading.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Eifert Posting posted:

Is anyone really upset that there's no Czech voice actors in this game or is that just me?

Would have been cool for immersion, but there are only 10 million Czech speakers. It wouldn't be worth the effort from the devs' point of view. It's like how Larian games don't have Dutch voice acting, and Dutch is a significantly bigger language.

I guess Slovakians could understand it (?) but that's still only 16 million people tops.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Using the alchemy table in the “witch’s” hut causes me to rapidly start to rise into the sky, through the roof. Which was really quite cinematic and pretty until quit the alchemy minigame.

What goes up must come down. At least I had a recent save!

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Would have been cool for immersion, but there are only 10 million Czech speakers. It wouldn't be worth the effort from the devs' point of view. It's like how Larian games don't have Dutch voice acting, and Dutch is a significantly bigger language.

I guess Slovakians could understand it (?) but that's still only 16 million people tops.

Slav languages are mostly really similar with exceptions here and there in specific vocab, case marking rules, etc.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Poles, Lithuanians, Serbs/Croats/Balkans people, and Russians should have little problem understanding a lot of spoken Czech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

The Lone Badger posted:

rear end in a top hat guards keep wanting to search me and take all my stolen goods. Since that comprises a significant part of my wardrobe (and my weapon) this isn't good.
I need to dress better I think to keep them off me.

If you leave your stolen goods in your chest in your house and wait a few days the "stolen" tag will slowly fall off.