Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Thrasher posted:

Hmm, never thought of that.. I’ll do some research.. how safe would it be on a hill? Systems like the E-Stopp can maintain cable pressure on an independent parking brake system. Wouldn’t the line lock simply be a ball valve on the brake line?

This thread rules, I love lowriders and so glad to see another one in AI.

I remember a long way back seeing a brake locking thing where you would apply the brakes and turn a key to lock the pressure. Long enough ago that I probably read it in a magazine so I dont remember the manufacturer or name but Id look around for that. An electric line lock would draw current the entire time and I dont think the duty cycle for them is measured in hours as I would assume the solenoid would get warm or hot eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

shy boy from chess club posted:

This thread rules, I love lowriders and so glad to see another one in AI.

I remember a long way back seeing a brake locking thing where you would apply the brakes and turn a key to lock the pressure. Long enough ago that I probably read it in a magazine so I dont remember the manufacturer or name but Id look around for that. An electric line lock would draw current the entire time and I dont think the duty cycle for them is measured in hours as I would assume the solenoid would get warm or hot eventually.

Yeah I'm kinda leaning towards the drive shaft pinion mounted ebrake with mechanical cable recommended earlier in the thread. Seems to me as the most reliable option.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Pini...AiABEgIrVfD_BwE

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Thrasher posted:

Hmm, never thought of that.. I’ll do some research.. how safe would it be on a hill? Systems like the E-Stopp can maintain cable pressure on an independent parking brake system. Wouldn’t the line lock simply be a ball valve on the brake line?

If you weren't parked for long? Probably fairly, especially coupled with being in gear.

A true parking brake also isn't a guaranteed savior, I've seen too many fail. But for probably no more than an hour or so, along with being in gear? I'd trust it.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Prepped the new dash & instrument cluster.. I went with a Dakota Digital VHX product:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=822/category_id=423/mode=prod/prd822.htm

The current cluster has a broken speedo and tach. Since the replacement will have a tach in the main cluster I needed to also replace the cluster bezel as the current one has a cutout for the tach that sits on the steering column.

Example:

I found a bezel on eBay and worked on fixing it up.

Primer:

Paint:

Cluster installed!

Another part ready for the spring.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 2, 2018

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Had a few blah days recently.. but spending money on car parts makes me happy!

Ordered the following:

2 x Northstar NSB-AGM24 batteries

I was originally looking at XSPower batteries but I figured they were overpriced? Northstar came out ahead and were actually cheaper.. free shipping too! score.

Mechman S 240A '1-wire' GM Alternator

Jim's Machineworx SAE Battery terminals

Also ordered various wiring and other electrical connectors, ANL fuses, etc

This will definitely power all the vehicle electronics and new car stereo going in.. I'm a big drum 'n bass guy and have some serious gear set aside for the stereo, so definitely need the power.

The spring project pile is adding up.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Instead of a pinion brake (which still gives you the woes of a huge cable that has to follow the suspension articulation, why not a trans output park brake? Things like our Mitsi Canter trucks, Big nissan patrols and Landrovers use em and they are BRUTALLY efficient cos your holding force is multiplied by the diff ratio. To the point that if you reef on the handbrake in a defender when your moving you can break drivetrain components.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Ferremit posted:

Instead of a pinion brake (which still gives you the woes of a huge cable that has to follow the suspension articulation, why not a trans output park brake? Things like our Mitsi Canter trucks, Big nissan patrols and Landrovers use em and they are BRUTALLY efficient cos your holding force is multiplied by the diff ratio. To the point that if you reef on the handbrake in a defender when your moving you can break drivetrain components.

Interesting... I wonder if any aftermarket parts exist that would be compatible to achieve this?

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

My name is Jeff.. Co-workers at my office nicknamed me "Heffaaayyyy!"

So, logically..

:cool:

(el jefe was taken)

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic
I'm glad 'el jefe' was taken because that's way funnier. You're a cool guy, that's a cool car. Way cool

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Thrasher posted:

So, logically..

(el jefe was taken)

Outstanding. :discourse:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Small thought about e-brakes: Chevy Stepvans were built down to 1/2 ton size, and had drive-shaft brakes.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just now found this thread - looks awesome already.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Thrasher posted:

So, logically..

(el jefe was taken)

obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkBx0gMGuhY&t=17s

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Hahaha

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
I love this thread.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

PhotoKirk posted:

I love this thread.

Cool, lets have a quick update then!

The car looks a bit lonely in storage :(

I like to listen to good music when I'm lonely. Let's see what we'll be doing for sound when spring comes around.

Head unit:

Retro sound's Long Beach Radio
https://www.retromanufacturing.com/products/1963-64-chevrolet-impala-long-beach-radio?variant=28583950339
Keep the original look and feel but pack in all the new features like MP3 / USB / iPod / XM radio etc..
- Chrome bezel, chrome face & black buttons
- SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner addon
- Impala Replacement Automatic Power Antenna

Speakers:

Front: Hertz Mille MPK 163.3 PRO
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-speakers-system-mille-pro-mpk163-3/
- 6.5" woofer, 3" midrange, 1.14" tweeter

Rear: Hertz Mille MPK 165.3 PRO
http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-audio-speakers-system-mille-pro-mpk165-3/
- 6.5" woofer, 1.14" tweeter

Subwoofers:
(disclaimer.. I'm a DnB fanatic)

2 x 12" Ascendant Audio Havocs
- Dual 1 ohm voice coils
- Fs 34.9Hz
- Qms 6.99
- Qes 0.40
- Qts 0.37
- Mms 252
- SPL 86.7 1W/1m
- RMS 1500w

Amplifiers:

Soundqubed Q1-2200.2 Mono block
https://soundqubed.com/product/q1-2200-2-amplifier/
- 2300W x 1 channel @ 1ohm
I may swap this out for a higher model if its insufficient to drive the 2x 1500W Havocs but I need to test this out first. I should inquire in the car audio thread as well to get some opinions.

Soundqubed Q4-90 Multi Channel
https://soundqubed.com/product/q4-90-amplifier/
- 90W x 4 channels @ 4 ohm

I'll have to come up with some interesting ways to mount the speakers in the vehicle.. I do have some kick panels for the front but will probably have to locate the tweeters in the doors for best sound when the top is down. The rears ill have to put in the sides where the arm-rests are located and need to figure out some custom mounts without the convertible top supports getting in the way..

For the subwoofers I'm thinking of a birch infinite baffle where the trunk space becomes the box. I'll seal up some trunk cavities to reduce the cubic feet to match the Havoc specs and re-route some hydraulic hose with hard lines running through the baffle with bulk head fittings.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 28, 2018

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

The weather was nice so I pulled the car out of storage. It needed a wash and I took the time to clean the blue film off the white walls:

The car pulls hard to the right and the steering shakes pretty good when the car comes up to speed, so it definitely needs an alignment. I’m also thinking of adding some shims to the upper control arms and reduce the positive camber a bit.

The shop only just finished the work and wasn’t able to test drive and align the car due to the winter weather.. so this will be the first thing to do.

Once this is done I figure I’ll start working on putting the new dash cluster in.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Yessss! Keep posting, this build is awesome.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Thrasher posted:

The weather was nice so I pulled the car out of storage. It needed a wash and I took the time to clean the blue film off the white walls:

The car pulls hard to the right and the steering shakes pretty good when the car comes up to speed, so it definitely needs an alignment. I’m also thinking of adding some shims to the upper control arms and reduce the positive camber a bit.

The shop only just finished the work and wasn’t able to test drive and align the car due to the winter weather.. so this will be the first thing to do.

Once this is done I figure I’ll start working on putting the new dash cluster in.

Fresh ta fuckin death.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Such an awesome looking car. Also, that head unit is sweet.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

QuarkMartial posted:

Such an awesome looking car. Also, that head unit is sweet.

I can’t wait to install the stereo.. lots to do for that, but first need to get it safe.

At least I think I fixed the toe alignment enough to drive it to a shop with computers for accuracy.

I put some ceramic tiles down with about a tbsp of salt evened out between the smooth sides, slipped under the front tires. Now I can spin the tires around easily:

Built a jig.. here they face each other so I can mark where the rim will touch the wood on both sides to match:

Looks lined up, ready to measure:

Front of tire = 78 1/8”:

Behind tire = 77 13/16”

That’s 5/16” toe out... the passenger side wheel was the odd one and after an adjustment of the tie rod end I now have 3/16” toe in at a ride height where I can get over speed bumps etc.

Now I can take it for fine tuning and tire balancing.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 2, 2018

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Thrasher posted:

I put some ceramic tiles down with about a tbsp of salt evened out between the smooth sides, slipped under the front tires. Now I can spin the tires around easily:

That's loving genius.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I don't get it - please explain the tiles, salt, and spinning the tires.

(suspension setup is still a mystery to me)

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

extreme_accordion posted:

I don't get it - please explain the tiles, salt, and spinning the tires.

(suspension setup is still a mystery to me)

When doing alignment work like adjusting the toe, you want to have the suspension loaded, so the car on the ground, and you also want the wheels to turn easily, usually an alignment rack will have the front wheels on a free rotating platform so that it's easy to adjust. If you don't have a free rotating platform then the tire will resist changes in rotation.

The home made solution is using tiles with salt between their faces. You create a low friction interface allowing the wheel to rotate left and right with little friction compared to just tire against floor.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Bajaha posted:

The home made solution is using tiles with salt between their faces. You create a low friction interface allowing the wheel to rotate left and right with little friction compared to just tire against floor.

Yup exactly.. in retrospect i could have used graphite/grease or maybe sand instead of salt. I should keep any and all salt miles away from this vehicle.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've heard of people using two trash bags.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I want to build a low rider now. TIL that canadian plymouth furys were assembled and sold here as dodge phoenix and it's absolutely the cheapest old 60s car you can buy now, like 10k, while fairlanes are more like 20k for the 60s models and I don't want to make them ride low anyway.
unnfff..
Only sedans were sold here unfortunately, same as fairlanes :(

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 6, 2018

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Fo3 posted:

I want to build a low rider now. TIL that canadian plymouth furys were assembled and sold here as dodge phoenix and it's absolutely the cheapest old 60s car you can buy now, like 10k, while fairlanes are more like 20k for the 60s models and I don't want to make them ride low anyway.
unnfff..
Only sedans were sold here unfortunately, same as fairlanes :(

Where are you located? Here is one that needs some TLC:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/ottawa/1968-plymouth-fury-iii-2-door-fast-top-big-block-car/1352425111

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

So I figured I should get started on replacing the dash cluster. Time to take the old one out with the broken speedometer and tachometer:

There we go:

There is a bunch of surface rust on the dash brackets and crappy old padding.. and a terrible mess of wiring. All this will be repaired or replaced when I pull out the interior to add the sound deadening. For now I'm just looking to get everything functional.

But wait, the UPS guy delivered a new package! A DC contactor and some DPDT momentary switches:

I decided I wanted to add in a remote disconnect for the hydraulics rather than solely rely on the manual disconnect that's located in the trunk. This will be more convenient when I park the car for a quick stop or go on long trips and want to disable the switches so I don't bump them with my knee on the highway etc.. Also gives me an excuse to add in a hidden switch. This is more interesting now so I switch gears.

I figure ill place the switch for the contactor behind the actual pump switches under the dash.. and the contactor will be in the trunk near the manual disconnect. The contactor takes 12v to activate the coil so I'll supply this from the battery in the front of the car. It's a latching relay which means there is no draw on either state of the contactor.

Time to fabricate some brackets..

Switch bracket:

Contactor plate:

I cleaned up the area in the trunk for the contactor plate and cut some new 1/0 gauge wiring. The contactor will interrupt the circuit between the first battery in the series and the manual disconnect to the frame ground:

Welded the contactor plate in and painted the area with trunk paint. Things seem to fit:

Contactor installed:

I had enough spare wires in the 9-wire that fed the hydraulic switches to supply the contactor coil with a power feed from the switch up in the dash. Only two were required (+/- polarity flipped for inverse operation of the contactor). I did upgrade the wiring terminal in the trunk for the additional use though:

Working in the trunk is.. comfortable?

Finally adding the switch bracket in place under the dash:

In case I forget what year the car is:

Works perfectly! Now I can re-focus on the cluster install.. for the next post I guess.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)

Australia. That's why it was a big deal learning about them.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Australia. That's why it was a big deal learning about them.

drat... expensive to ship something and import it, if that’s even possible I guess? :(

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Gave the digital dash install a shot but ran into a few snags..

The Dakota Digital VHX is an awesome product and comes with digital sending units to replace the old mechanical ones:

I have to install the speedometer pulse generator, new water temp probe, and oil pressure sender. These have newer electronic wiring to combine with the existing vehicle wiring from sensors like the fuel level sender and turn signals etc.. all feeding into the new dash controller.

The oil pressure unit went in fine at the back of the intake manifold, by the distributor coil.

The water temp gauge, however, had some clearance issues.

On top of this the speedometer unit is getting in the way of the shifter linkage.

So I’ve ordered two new parts.. A new water outlet thermostat housing with a 45 degree angle for the hose, and a small speedometer extension cable to allow the speedo sending unit to be placed away from the transmission and shifter linkage.

Now to wait some more for parts to arrive :(

At least the new digital cluster looks sweet installed!

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 17, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Those gauges look hot af. Dakota Digital makes a nice cluster, and one day I want to put one in my cruiser but that'll be a long way down the line.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 17, 2018

Budget Monty
Jul 25, 2005

Ask me about my torrid love affair with Geico :ese:
I like your style! Here is mine:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Budget Monty posted:

:whatup:

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Those gauges look awesome thrasher. That's a great looking ferrari you have there budget monty :v:

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Budget Monty posted:

This picture is loving great.

Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, WHATSUP MOTHERFUCKERS LETS PARTY

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Budget Monty posted:

:hfive: looking fine sir!

On its side too.. 4 pumps? I can’t do side2side with my 2 pump setup..

Blacknose posted:

This picture is loving great.

Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, Ferrari, WHATSUP MOTHERFUCKERS LETS PARTY

Who says you don’t bring a lowrider to crash a Ferrari party? So awesome.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 17, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I love this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

Holy crap.. FedEx delivery came early!

Shortys, Glasspacks, and new valve stem seals..

Totally wasn’t expecting this for a while.. :woop: