Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saltyslug
Jun 28, 2012

Guess where this lollipop's going?

XyrlocShammypants posted:

It also follows many American storylines where characters never really develop in a positive way, instead becoming worse at times.

This seems like a weird criticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

saltyslug posted:

This seems like a weird criticism

It’s not necessarily a criticism. Some of the best American entertainment stories have negative or no character development (Sopranos, Breaking Bad) but this is more along the lines of How I Met Your Mother. Americans increasingly prefer antihero stories or shows where characters they like retain their negative qualities or riff of them as long as possible. Character development in this game is a big shrug, with it ending more or less how it began.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

It’s not necessarily a criticism. Some of the best American entertainment stories have negative or no character development (Sopranos, Breaking Bad) but this is more along the lines of How I Met Your Mother. Americans increasingly prefer antihero stories or shows where characters they like retain their negative qualities or riff of them as long as possible. Character development in this game is a big shrug, with it ending more or less how it began.

i reckon this has been less true over the last decade though. out-and-out hero shows have jumped through the roof in popularity and stuff heavily influenced by the characters in The Shield, Breaking Bad, to an extent the Sopranos, has fallen a bit into the backgrouns

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why is NitW a 6.5GB game?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SelenicMartian posted:

Why is NitW a 6.5GB game?

The feels

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
And also uncompressed audio. But mainly the feels.

Every now and again a game or piece of media comes along that hits me really, really hard emotionally. It's been an honest few years since that happened, and then in the span of one month I mainlined The Adventure Zone podcast, and also played through NitW. NitW is hard because I grew up in the PNW in whatever the colder, rainier equivalent to a rust belt town is, and TAZ just because it's TAZ.

I liked both a lot, even though all the criticisms posted earlier are still very valid.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is compressed audio + Unity the reason Oxefree stutters all the time?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

SelenicMartian posted:

Is compressed audio + Unity the reason Oxefree stutters all the time?

Maybe? NitW doesn't even have voice acting though so I have no idea why it's so big.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Maybe? NitW doesn't even have voice acting though so I have no idea why it's so big.

The 5-6 hours of music probably has something to do with it

one
two
three

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

I think if their choice was between music and voice acting then they made a clear mistake. Voices would have brought life to the characters and the music outside of the theme is just Ok

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I think if their choice was between music and voice acting then they made a clear mistake. Voices would have brought life to the characters and the music outside of the theme is just Ok

I could not disagree with a post harder drat

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Its difficult to see how a Gregg with a voice could still be charming.

e: This is making me wonder if I would have liked Ren in Oxenfree if there'd been no voice acting.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 18, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Ren is a high as a kite exposition radio. He's fine.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i think text feels better in that type of narrative game than VA, i liked Night in the Woods and Kentucky Route Zero a lot more than Oxenfree and that was one of the reasons. VA is a stylistic choice, not a straight upgrade.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Bloop posted:

Guys I just bought Bayonetta

Now I can play it for the first time

Haven't played Bayonetta yet.

Still not planning to play Bayonetta yet. :shrug:

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Voice acting runs the inherit risk of being completely cringe worthy whereas a stellar soundtrack will carry whatever emotional delivery is necessary for the scene. Indie games that focus their budget on soundtrack over expensive VA is a good decision for my ears.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think the music is fantastic. And the dialogue is so drat good that anything other than a series of all-time great voice acting performances from a range of actors would have weakened it, and you're not getting that from an indie game made by a small team. You don't get that in AAA games on nine figure budgets.

Also how is it misrepresented as being more supernatural than it is? I'm like 3/4 way through and I don't know how anyone could be thinking the small town depressing life isn't the point of the game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

onesixtwo posted:

Voice acting runs the inherit risk of being completely cringe worthy whereas a stellar soundtrack will carry whatever emotional delivery is necessary for the scene. Indie games that focus their budget on soundtrack over expensive VA is a good decision for my ears.

Cringe can be good in its own way though. I love the Mega Man 8 cutscenes now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Take THAT Kamiya

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Apparently I played more Bayo 1 on the WiiU than I thought. I've finished Chapter 3 and haven't caught up to where I was. I think maybe Chapter 4 might have been as far as I got in it, but we'll see once I start it!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Kamiya retweeted my bayo clip.
I am blessed

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Evil Fluffy posted:

:same:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

At Yodobashi Camera in Japan.

Which one? I’m in Tokyo this week

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Agreeing, this post is bad and you should feel bad.

I mean, everyone has opinions, but this is up there with "I never use Revali's Gale."

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Tender Bender posted:

I think the music is fantastic. And the dialogue is so drat good that anything other than a series of all-time great voice acting performances from a range of actors would have weakened it, and you're not getting that from an indie game made by a small team. You don't get that in AAA games on nine figure budgets.

Also how is it misrepresented as being more supernatural than it is? I'm like 3/4 way through and I don't know how anyone could be thinking the small town depressing life isn't the point of the game.

Is night in the woods enjoyable if you’re not from a small town so that won’t resonate with you at all?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's low on "game" (though it has a guitar hero-esque minigame, along with an NES clone minigame), and more of a visual novel. It's about a dying small town and a college dropout who came back home, along with maybe a murder mystery, towards the end and reconnecting with friends. There is no "bad end," and a bit of it is a little nihilistic. It also deals, a little, with themes of mental health, but not too heavily like literally any anime.

E: VVV Yeah, also dealing with that. worker's rights, unions.

There is a lot of backstory to be gleaned from what may seem like a sparse game. Most every side character is interesting and can be found at different points of the story, and there are things going on behind the scenes that you can and can't affect, like the homeless people in the church and his specific backstory. I really enjoyed it, and am glad I experienced it. But, again, it's not too much of a "game".

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 18, 2018

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

LPG Giant posted:

Is night in the woods enjoyable if you’re not from a small town so that won’t resonate with you at all?

If you can get into things like the history/psychology of workers' rights then that's also something you can use to judge your interest

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I thought the ending was kind of hopeful to be honest :shobon:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

LPG Giant posted:

I bought it and I loved the art but wow the characters and setting really didn't resonate with me at all. I loved Life is Strange and Oxenfree despite those being set in places really far removed from my home, but I felt this one was too slice of lifey for a life I can't relate to. If all you need is lots of talking to NPCs about being 20 and directionless, though, go for it, because it sure has a lot of that.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was wondering why they went with the dark wraith outfit, then I realized.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

So, bought a SN30 Pro, but the thing spins madly when motion controls are enabled. I hope this isn't common? Product page says motion controls should work just fine on the Switch but latest firmware definitely isn't working. Going to end up having to refund and re-order through Amazon it looks.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Mine works so well I use it exclusively for Splatoon 2, but that's anecdotal evidence and all.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How do you play Splatoon motion controls with a connected /single controller? I usually keep my joy-cons in a 3D printed grip, but the only time I split them is for Splatoon.

E: and most of the directionless 20-somethings in NitW have at least some sort of resolution, or get on a pathway to a future by the end. You have to talk to them a lot though and get a feel for the atmosphere.

I used a giftcard to buy NitW and I'm really glad I did. I never would have purchased it otherwise.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 18, 2018

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Mine works so well I use it exclusively for Splatoon 2, but that's anecdotal evidence and all.

Yeah, that's what I was hoping for. Setting up for a refund already was just half checking to make sure I'm not crazy and this *should* work on latest firmware and all. Thanks! Round two for a working controller up next.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How do you play Splatoon motion controls with a connected /single controller? I usually keep my joy-cons in a 3D printed grip, but the only time I split them is for Splatoon.

See, I learned to play Splatoon with a giant touchscreen that weighs more than three Pro controllers combined. Also the SN30pro is wireless.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Should be easier in the grip honestly. The original on the Wii U had you weild the entire gamepad and it felt natural

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

onesixtwo posted:

So, bought a SN30 Pro, but the thing spins madly when motion controls are enabled. I hope this isn't common? Product page says motion controls should work just fine on the Switch but latest firmware definitely isn't working. Going to end up having to refund and re-order through Amazon it looks.

That's totally not normal no. Mine gyro aimed in splatoon the same as the pro controller honestly, far as i didn't have to learn a different feel for it. So keep on getting it replaced.

with split it's strictly the right cons tilt and with the pro it's tilting the whole thing. If that's what you asked.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I'm so used to tilting just the right joycon. Feels weird to tilt the whole controller.

Guess it's how I learned.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Spellman posted:

Should be easier in the grip honestly. The original on the Wii U had you weild the entire gamepad and it felt natural

All good squids know how to drive a bus.

Had no idea only the right Joycon was used for motion. That is actually tempting to learn..

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

LPG Giant posted:

I'm not from a small town so I don't think that's integral. I think relevant experiences are more like: having fond memories of friends or a place you grew up that you're no longer close to, having been in an awkward young adult rear end in a top hat phase and realizing now how lovely you were, feeling lost/depressed because life didn't go the way you thought it would, having been in that awkward stage where your parents and other adults are more than just "grownups" to you but aren't quite your peers yet. Recognizing that actually the world is unfair and sucks but that's life and it's ok. Being in for some "capitalism hurts folks who don't really know how or why" helps too.

Full disclosure I more or less dropped out of grad school and moved back home for a while so the game's concept of just trying to do your thing while your parents are like "ok that's great you had fun tonight but uh what are your plans?" hit me too.

The game heavily invokes nostalgia for me, but not in the sense of pandering with references, more in that it paints a very specific picture of a specific life and through the way it does that it brings out my own feelings about my own life that is nothing like the game. I don't really know how to express that thought properly but hopefully it's coherent to you. In his review of Brokeback Mountain Ebert said that paradoxically the more specific a story is, the more broadly it can be generalized to other experiences, and that's kind of what I feel with this game.

Bear in mind there's very little "playing", it's basically a 2d walking simulator. So if you don't want to walk around talking to people you can pass on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
One thing in Bayonetta that's really pissing me off is the end of chapter death penalty.
I just finished chapter 3, did fairly well in the battles but because I was confused by the collapsing bridge section and died twice my score was downgraded to a bronze.
Can you circumvent this by quickly quitting and relaunching the game?
Otherwise I don't see how you're supposed to get a decent score without knowing every qte in advance.

• Locked thread