Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shiki Dan posted:

Regal and Juvi would absolutely be a disaster to build around in ANY company in 2000 considered how hosed up they were.

True,
Luckily the mod isn't 1:1 to real life. Regal and Juvy's problems have not presented themselves. If they do present themselves, I send them to rehab and hope for the best.
Even more egregious, despite everything we've learned over the last year at PSP-TV, Jeff Jarrett is a valuable member of the roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
JJ was always fine in the mid card. Stick the TV and US titles on him if you need to. The sort of guy you could put on a tv main event if you're just trying to fill that weeks slot or freshen up someones opponent rotation. Hugh Morris was a decent mid card jobber that could keep some credibility beating jobbers on thunder.

gently caress the Harris brothers though, they were always worthless as anything but bodyguards and I didn't even know they were nazis at the time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some guys are just perfect midcarders.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

JJ was always fine in the mid card. Stick the TV and US titles on him if you need to. The sort of guy you could put on a tv main event if you're just trying to fill that weeks slot or freshen up someones opponent rotation. Hugh Morris was a decent mid card jobber that could keep some credibility beating jobbers on thunder.

gently caress the Harris brothers though, they were always worthless as anything but bodyguards and I didn't even know they were nazis at the time.

Except almost every Jeff Jarrett mid card run was horrible.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

frankenfreak posted:

You're probably thinking of Hogan's feud with The Giant which also featured rooftops and monster trucks.

Yeah that's pretty much it. Knew they were different folks, but it's hard to keep track of all the Hogan feuds with his friends and Dungeon of Doomers and poo poo.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Being tall and mean looking can get you a long way in wrestling.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

Except almost every Jeff Jarrett mid card run was horrible.

WCW was so bad in 2000 that Jeff Jarrett as world champion was one of the better things they did.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

WCW was so bad in 2000 that Jeff Jarrett as world champion was one of the better things they did.

Can't agree with that although it is better than his upper midcard run that follows.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Remember in 2000 when they tried to bring back the nWo with Bret Hart, Hall and Nash, Scott Steiner, and Jarrett?

And it lasted like a month?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

Remember in 2000 when they tried to bring back the nWo with Bret Hart, Hall and Nash, Scott Steiner, and Jarrett?

no

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Where are these good Jeff Jarrett midcard runs people are always talking about?

I'm watching Retro Raw right now where he's in the midcard, doing midcard stuff, and it's loving awful.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Remember the ceiling for midcard work is pretty low.
Especially during the new generation era. He's a breath of fresh air compared to acts like Henry Godwin, Isaac Yankem, King Mabel etc.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

I would argue Henry Godwinn was a better midcard face and heel than Jeff Jarrett

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Oh great, you've Godwinn'd the thread.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Animal-Mother posted:

Oh great, you've Godwinn'd the thread.

D'oh!

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Say Nothing posted:

Being tall and mean looking can get you a long way in wrestling.

You forgot twins. There’s thousands of large guys out there. But being twins was the only possibly interesting thing about him.

I’m not saying you put the mid card title on JJ for 6 months. Just as a transition guy between 2 faces for a month or two.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You forgot twins. There’s thousands of large guys out there. But being twins was the only possibly interesting thing about him.

I’m not saying you put the mid card title on JJ for 6 months. Just as a transition guy between 2 faces for a month or two.

The problem with Jarrett was once the slapnuts era began he stopped being even tolerable at any level.
Horrible look, horrible gimmick. Every second he's on the stick makes you wish for that second back. In every way he looked like a man who was trying way too hard to fit into an era he ultimately had no place in.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Benne posted:

Where are these good Jeff Jarrett midcard runs people are always talking about?

I'm watching Retro Raw right now where he's in the midcard, doing midcard stuff, and it's loving awful.

It feels like the "JJ was a good midcarder" talking point stems almost entirely from people rediscovering the great IYH match with Shawn Michaels.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

His Tennessee Lee emceed entrance always made me chuckle, but yeah, never enjoyed anything after that.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
If his name had been Jeff Smith instead of Jarrett, he'd have topped out at footnote in history at best. But nepotism and all...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Monkeycheese posted:

If his name had been Jeff Smith instead of Jarrett, he'd have topped out at footnote in history at best. But nepotism and all...

Nepotism doesn't really explain half of his career.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't even like Memphis Jeff

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

Being one of the few guys to hold up Vince probably explains another Quarter of the career

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

fart blood posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zcyNsX5E0

They remixed the nWo song to make it sluggish and way less cool and, welp, that's nWo 2000 for ya. Also there was some meta nonsense about "the writers" and Russo sorta being behind it all but not but maybe and, and, and

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Being one of the few guys to hold up Vince probably explains another Quarter of the career

Soon both will be in the Hall of Fame.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

MassRafTer posted:

I will admit I don't know a lot about his early career, and I assume he got every break and benefit of the doubt possible due to being Jerry Jarrett's kid. Is it wrong to think that if he was just a dude he would've been scrutinized more harshly and probably just been a dude in the early stages and not had chances to move up as much?
I kind of assume you mean people like Russo giving him endless chances later is inexplicable but let me know if I'm wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Monkeycheese posted:

I will admit I don't know a lot about his early career, and I assume he got every break and benefit of the doubt possible due to being Jerry Jarrett's kid. Is it wrong to think that if he was just a dude he would've been scrutinized more harshly and probably just been a dude in the early stages and not had chances to move up as much?

Yes, if history had gone differently, Hitler would have just been a lumpenprole street artist.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

If Bray Wyatt wasn't the son of a WWE road agent, he's probably gone ages ago.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Monkeycheese posted:

I kind of assume you mean people like Russo giving him endless chances later is inexplicable but let me know if I'm wrong.

Nah, Jarret wasn't that bad. He's a fine midcard wrestler, just shouldn't have gone any higher.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Monkeycheese posted:

Scott Putski, David Flair, Erik Watts, Jamie Dundee, George Gulas, Jeff Jarrett. There's always been problems with nepotism in the wrestling business. Hell, you can even include Brooke Hogan and Garrett Bischoff on that list.
How many did I miss?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Scott Putski, David Flair, Erik Watts, Jamie Dundee, George Gulas, Jeff Jarrett. There's always been problems with nepotism in the wrestling business. Hell, you can even include Brooke Hogan and Garrett Bischoff on that list.
How many did I miss?

Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas are sons of a road agent. Charlotte got a massive push for being Ric's daughter. Curtis Axel being Hennig's son probably helped him get a foot in the door. Same for Richie Steamboat and both of Dusty's sons.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

And this is ignoring the people who probably were helped getting in the door by being the friend or student of a respected wrestler. I doubt it hurt Daniel Bryan that HBK and Regal were there to put in a good word for him.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Monkeycheese posted:

Would he have trained and gotten a big storyline right off the bat in Memphis? Of course not. Jerry helped him get his foot in the door in the WWF, but the actual run there wasn't because of him, nor was him ending up in WCW and then back in the WWF where they tried to push him each time. I wouldn't say his career from 94-99 was really nepotism, and TNA post 2002 is just running your own company and pushing yourself.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas are sons of a road agent. Charlotte got a massive push for being Ric's daughter. Curtis Axel being Hennig's son probably helped him get a foot in the door. Same for Richie Steamboat and both of Dusty's sons.

Sometimes nepotism is a good thing if you end up with someone like The Rock or Randy Orton. Unfortunately, you often get someone like Chris Von Erich instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Sometimes nepotism is a good thing if you end up with someone like The Rock or Randy Orton. Unfortunately, you often get someone like Chris Von Erich instead.
Often this comes down to the difference between, to use a good example, Ted DiBiase and Ted DiBiase Jr. Ted was the son of a wrestler, but he had a decade or more to become his own guy. Ted Jr. was put out there and told to be the second coming of his dad from the time he was in developmental, and it didn't work out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Halloween Jack posted:

Often this comes down to the difference between, to use a good example, Ted DiBiase and Ted DiBiase Jr. Ted was the son of a wrestler, but he had a decade or more to become his own guy. Ted Jr. was put out there and told to be the second coming of his dad from the time he was in developmental, and it didn't work out.

I love how Charlottes first NXT gimmick was “I’m gonna be my own person, not a female version of my dad”. Then, well, you know

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
are there any wrestlers who were possibly unfairly hurt by the perception of nepotism

I've heard it applied to Greg Gagne and early-career Dustin Rhodes, were there any others?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

D.N. Nation posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2zcyNsX5E0

They remixed the nWo song to make it sluggish and way less cool and, welp, that's nWo 2000 for ya. Also there was some meta nonsense about "the writers" and Russo sorta being behind it all but not but maybe and, and, and

To be fair I think Bret got injured like a week into it, and Hall was...well, Hall, so it died a quick death.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

are there any wrestlers who were possibly unfairly hurt by the perception of nepotism

I've heard it applied to Greg Gagne and early-career Dustin Rhodes, were there any others?

David Sammartino was a decent wrestler, but was never able to escape from the shadow of his legendary father.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

roman reigns