Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Pendragon posted:

bad wording on my part then. basically it's a clause saying that the startup can't hire any of my company's employees.

oh yeah that sounds more like a noncompete

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

when i interviewed at epic several years ago i brought it up and the guy said something like "yeah we sometimes do like around maybe... 60 hours a week but you know just look at this place!!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Shaman Linavi posted:

when i interviewed at epic several years ago i brought it up and the guy said something like "yeah we sometimes do like around maybe... 60 hours a week but you know just look at this place!!"

The trick here is only the true believers work that much and the rest of us lied in our time logs.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

cis autodrag posted:

The trick here is only the true believers work that much and the rest of us lied in our time logs.

Which brings up a good point -- don't work anywhere you're expected to keep a time log.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

Maybe. I heard Japan is a lot more about staying loyal with one company for a long time, rather than changing every few years.

Yes, this is what traditional work culture here is very much like. However demographics here are crashing hard - I could swear you can almost visually notice the % of foreign-looking people walking on the streets go up - and this means the work culture has to change as well, because lol if you think foreigners come here to bet on the long game of foreverially tiedup salaryman at megacorp. Standard pto vesting schedule is initially 10 days, increasing per year in increments of 1 until 20, but bear in mind this does not include the 15-16 annual public holidays.

I have actually only once left a job because I had a problem working there, every other time it has been either due to changing countries or other life events. I really would like this new thing to be 3-4 years, but on the other hand I am not really confident about staying in Japan for that long, because I ain't a weeaboo and even those tend to leave after a while.

qhat posted:

My startup checklist: no

I am only willing to work for a startup which has a) something for my personal skills development, b) something that I personally see as a good thing to the world, c) a product that is not easily replicated by any slightly motivated competitor. It goes without saying that they have to pay a living wage, unless it is me the ideas guy who founded the drat company.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaman Linavi posted:

and what did you see

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Gazpacho posted:

and what did you see

lots of nerds

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gazpacho posted:

and what did you see

The campus is really nice. Like, really really nice. It's one of the few things I miss from the job. That and the food.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This thread has gotten really active lately.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Penisface posted:

Yes, this is what traditional work culture here is very much like. However demographics here are crashing hard - I could swear you can almost visually notice the % of foreign-looking people walking on the streets go up - and this means the work culture has to change as well, because lol if you think foreigners come here to bet on the long game of foreverially tiedup salaryman at megacorp. Standard pto vesting schedule is initially 10 days, increasing per year in increments of 1 until 20, but bear in mind this does not include the 15-16 annual public holidays.

i work for a very traditional japanese multinat outside of Japan and there is zero expectation that we will adopt japanese business culture. in japan it is pretty traditional for the natives but if I went there I wouldn't have to start drinking with the boss every night or something.

your japanese colleagues will actually take advantage of it - if they want to change something and not work through the japanese process they will get the foreigner to complain about it directly to the boss because we are outside the etiquette rules. this is sometimes described as the 'gaijin smash'.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

i work for a very traditional japanese multinat outside of Japan and there is zero expectation that we will adopt japanese business culture. in japan it is pretty traditional for the natives but if I went there I wouldn't have to start drinking with the boss every night or something.

your japanese colleagues will actually take advantage of it - if they want to change something and not work through the japanese process they will get the foreigner to complain about it directly to the boss because we are outside the etiquette rules. this is sometimes described as the 'gaijin smash'.

Yes, it's true that there are different rules for foreigners here, but the way the japanese do things, communicate and solve problems is in my experience (2 years so far) still quite different and will take getting used to. Sometimes the pace of work can seem absolutely glacial for things you *know* can be achieved much faster. And being outside the etiquette rules can also be stifling (especially when you don't know all of them) because you can miss out on important information or communication suffers because you can't get a straight answer from someone who sees you as higher status and is afraid to give you uncomfortable news.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Reminds me of a story from my old company, apparently one of our higher ups was visiting our Tokyo office and he's a typical late worker. He had to be pulled away from the office for ten minutes one time to get a coffee because apparently it was 7pm and the rest of the office was waiting for him to leave. When they got back after the coffee break, the entire floor was empty lol.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Penisface posted:

Yes, it's true that there are different rules for foreigners here, but the way the japanese do things, communicate and solve problems is in my experience (2 years so far) still quite different and will take getting used to. Sometimes the pace of work can seem absolutely glacial for things you *know* can be achieved much faster. And being outside the etiquette rules can also be stifling (especially when you don't know all of them) because you can miss out on important information or communication suffers because you can't get a straight answer from someone who sees you as higher status and is afraid to give you uncomfortable news.

The problem with smashing Asian behavioral norms is, an hour later, you want to smash norms again.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 19, 2018

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

Xarn posted:

This thread has gotten really active lately.

If you want to know the truth about a company, praise it to one of its employees in February.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i am reduced to connecting to and posting on the statuses of technical/hiring managers of big companies on linkedin

pls 2 job

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I sent a couple of recruiters at some A-list firms in the area an InMail last week with a very brief rundown of my experience (like <200 words), one doesn't seem to have read my message or ignored it at the least, the other sent me an invitation to connect but nothing else yet. I'm wondering whether or not hitting them up directly is the best way, going outside of their standard hiring process (sending a resume via their website) feels a bit weird.

It's also possible my profile is sitting in a pile somewhere waiting for its turn, who knows.

qhat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Feb 19, 2018

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Can someone help me decipher if this is good or bad:

"We see ourselves as a start-up, but with all the advantages of being embedded in a large corporation with all its associated benefits."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it means you’ll be expected to work 65+ hours a week but also you’ll have to go through bureaucratic hell to get a confluence account, resharper licence etc

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
also the small chance of an equity payout bonanza if the startup is a big hit goes to zero if your "startup" is embedded in a large corporation

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

FMguru posted:

also the small chance of an equity payout bonanza if the startup is a big hit goes to zero if your "startup" is embedded in a large corporation

equity is worthless because 9 times out of 10 the company, even if its a small startup, will look to screw you out of as much money as possible

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i would start my own startup/be the CTO of my own startup, if it was for a product that was genuinely useful and not just airbnb for dogs

i would not work at a startup as a non-C level.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

the panacea posted:

"We see ourselves as a start-up, but with all the advantages of being embedded in a large corporation with all its associated benefits."

"we have the worst of both worlds"

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
jobs

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

whotf would willingly work at a startup

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

here's some poo poo i saw on linkedin

quote:

Huge question that engineers balk at is "what are you reading?"

The "readers" are the ones you want on your team.

The dedicated, and the curious few who find DISCOMFORT and pursue it.

Reading is practice for parsing and internalizing new ideas.

You don't read, and you're not ready for coaching, feedback, or to build something larger than the sum of its parts.

love2be turned down for a job and told im incapable of being coached because im not currently reading a book

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

the panacea posted:

this could mean that upper management is light-handed but you'd never know without asking how the group is like a startup

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

whotf would willingly work at a startup

you?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

and here we arrive at the heart of the problem

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i want a new job but don't want to do any interviewing or put any effort into it

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PokeJoe posted:

i want a new job but don't want to do any interviewing or put any effort into it

please dont dox me

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

and here we arrive at the heart of the problem

right, so don't apply to startups

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am gonna work at startup starting ~July, no serious regrets :shrug:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i think i just hate working tbqh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Blinkz0rz posted:

right, so don't apply to startups

i was making a self-deprecating joke but this too yeah

jony neuemonic posted:

i think i just hate working tbqh.

take work as far as you want or need it to be, burning yourself out is an awful thing and nobody should demand more from you than you are willing to give :)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

PokeJoe posted:

:same:

in two months my school schedule will change and i will most likely try to transition to a computer job. started looking at entry
level stuff to get a feel and one of the titles was code ninja. sobering reminder of what im getting myself into.

Bored Online fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 20, 2018

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
I just got an offer making those (aus equivalent) six figgies for a much smaller company with a team that sounds awesome

I asked for way more money than I felt comfortable and mostly got it

aaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I’m unemployed by choice for the last month, and the next four (doing a language immersion course starting Wednesday), my life has literally never been better.

my advice to all is don’t compromise your principles in work. don’t work for idiots, don’t make idiotic products. best case is you’ll regret it. worst case is you’ll become an idiot.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

meatpotato posted:

my advice to all is don’t compromise your principles in work. don’t work for idiots, don’t make idiotic products. best case is you’ll regret it. worst case is you’ll become an idiot.

Same, except if you do work for idiots, bleed them for all its worth and be unapologetic when accepting an offer at a better company.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

meatpotato posted:

im not good enough to work for non-idiots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

PokeJoe posted:

Unironically same.