Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Inspector_666 posted:

I've stayed up until 3AM watching curling twice in the past week and I have no regrets at all.

I continue to be incredibly mad that there's no real curling "scene" in NYC. It seems inexplicable.

Move to Minnesota. I think there are at least 4-5 curling clubs in the Twin Cities metro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

gret posted:

Move to Minnesota. I think there are at least 4-5 curling clubs in the Twin Cities metro.

I just learned on Twitter that Los Angeles has year-round curling. loving LA!

My friend in Milwaukee has been trying to sell me on the city...

EDIT: There is one place in Prospect Park that is doing curling stuff this year, I'm trying to get my job to pay for a few of us to go try it as a team-building thing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 19, 2018

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

omg our skip is crying on the interview :(

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: There is one place in Prospect Park that is doing curling stuff this year, I'm trying to get my job to pay for a few of us to go try it as a team-building thing.

lots of canadians in LA

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

if you can venture out a bit i see there's a club in syosset

http://licurling.org/

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

some angst going on here for Koe's team.

"I said whoa like 5 times!"

regardless, they're not playing great here so far (other than the 2nd, whose name I don't know)

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund

MNIMWA posted:

some angst going on here for Koe's team.

"I said whoa like 5 times!"

regardless, they're not playing great here so far (other than the 2nd, whose name I don't know)

Yea, the CBC commentators were trashing the sweepers, but I think Koe threw back to back bad shots that had to be saved.

Good game shaping up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Hebert is probably gassed from last night.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
It's more that Hebert wasn't listening to the skip and making his own sweeping decisions. They seem to have calmed down now though

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vertical Lime posted:

if you can venture out a bit i see there's a club in syosset

http://licurling.org/

I can personally attest to it being a good group of people (It’s the club I’m in). They should have learn to curl events after the season ends but I’d have to check my email if they posted anything sooner

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

I'm Kevin Koe's death grimace every time he throws a rock.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Women's Curling is the best Curling.

I am watching literally every match on the NBC Roku app and am trying not to get spoiled because I can't watch THAT much curling a day :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Watching the Canadian games is a fuckin real emotional roller coaster here boys.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Slung Blade posted:

Watching the Canadian games is a fuckin real emotional roller coaster here boys.

it's brutal

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
Is it bad that I miss Jennifer Jones?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
She'll be at the Worlds this year.

Canada has historically done very poorly at the worlds, but I could see Jones really trying to show up Homan. She's also been curling remarkably well (trials aside) this season. That's probably more important to how well she'll do. Also, the World Championships are in North Bay, Ontario, so I could see other teams wanting to lose early and often to miss out on the playoffs so they can leave ASAP.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommaToes posted:

Is it bad that I miss Jennifer Jones?

Yes because she's a boring player to watch.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

NBCOlympics.com lists the South Korean team as "Korea" with the unified Korea logo. :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Homan "playing it safe" to only give up 2 and the Chinese still score 3. They're probably going to go super defense and clean house for the next 5 ends to hold onto their 5-3 lead, and Homan is out of the tournament.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korean skip just threw a ridiculous shot :stare:

USA skip missed with the hammer and Korea stole 4 just lol

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
What are they eating from that ziploc bag? Chocolate or meatballs?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Homan "playing it safe" to only give up 2 and the Chinese still score 3. They're probably going to go super defense and clean house for the next 5 ends to hold onto their 5-3 lead, and Homan is out of the tournament.

Team Homan is shook as hell

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Haha that burn call was petty as hell

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

davebo posted:

What are they eating from that ziploc bag? Chocolate or meatballs?
It's something the Canadian coach says he can't get in Canada, or at least they aren't the same there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Okay, have to give it to the USA skip there, raise double to salvage 1 point with the hammer.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Powershift posted:

Yeah the Canadian women are playing like garbage. Especially their third (I forget her name). She threw like 4 trash shots in a row.

E: it's Emma Miskew, which means I missed an opportunity to say she has made a lot of Emma Miscues

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Feb 20, 2018

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

CBC commentators are saying she may be sick. She's worn her jacket all game which is unusual. Not sure what Homan's excuse is...

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that was not a good end by Homan.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Korean skip is so good. Makes me want to go back and watch all their matches.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Yeah that sucked, Canada. Team Homan national embarrassments

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Josh Lyman posted:

Korean skip just threw a ridiculous shot :stare:

USA skip missed with the hammer and Korea stole 4 just lol

Some of the angles Korea got were insane. Hell of a match.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Just started CAN/KOR which was each team's first match and Homan was the only one to not wave to the camera lol just lol.

Korean skip also gave Homan a gift bag, "This is the only medal you'll be leaving Pyeonchang with."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chicken posted:

CBC commentators are saying she may be sick. She's worn her jacket all game which is unusual. Not sure what Homan's excuse is...

Norovirus is making the rounds in the
Athlete village apparently. There is no amount of immodium that would prevent an on air accident when your making GBS threads every 10 mins though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How did Cheryl Bernard end up as the alternate for Homan? Did they bring her along to have a mom to cook and do laundry?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Josh Lyman posted:

Korean skip is so good. Makes me want to go back and watch all their matches.
I watched their first match vs. Korea a few days ago. She is really surprisingly great. It felt like she was in perfect control just about the entire match.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
When I woke up and checked the USA v Switzerland score I was not expecting this... :patriot:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Island Nation posted:

I can personally attest to it being a good group of people (It’s the club I’m in). They should have learn to curl events after the season ends but I’d have to check my email if they posted anything sooner

woah cool

my fiance's cousin goes to this club too

that's real neato

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

thehoodie posted:

Yeah that sucked, Canada. Team Homan national embarrassments

Yet they might still make the medal rounds if they win their last two games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
They do need a bit of help from others, but I think every possible outcome of the assortment of teams finishing at 5-4 guarantees Canada a place in a tie breaker game. Aside from the six-way tie possibility, she's probably facing Muirhead in the tie-breaker. Chances will improve dramatically if Miskew gets healthy. If Miskew gets much sicker though, I don't know if its worse to leave her in or to sub in Bernard.

And doesn't Cheryl (or any alternate) have to curl at least one end to qualify for the medal?

• Locked thread