Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I like to drive slow on the driveway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

College mascot showed up at stick time today.

He did not want to play half ice with us.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Scored two goals from behind the net last night and we won 4-3. Came close to a glorious behind the net hatty... There is always next game!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the spreadsheet nerds with an apple watch and who are willing to risk it on the ice, hockey tracker is out:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hockeytracker/id1297971760?mt=8

With a $3 a month subscription fee. :downs:

But since it's the first thing of its kind that I've ever seen maybe they're justified in charging a premium.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The tracker thing is really cool. Or was, when it was in beta and completely unrestricted.

He basically pay-walled the whole goddamn thing instead of his original idea of paying to view/edit stats on the phone app. I get having to make money for future development, but goddamn that sucks. You can technically use the app (on the watch, at least), but it doesn't actually save anything into Apple Health or Activities. You basically get your stats, then when you end the workout, say "oh hey that's neat," then delete all the data.

I stopped using it and just use the standard Workouts app with HIIT now.

e: Oh hey. Out of curiosity, I checked his Slack and it looks like he's un-paywalling the watch app with the next update update that came out 4--hours ago. I just tried it out and it is indeed now saving stats to Apple Health/Activities without a subscription. Awesome!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 13, 2018

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I just use my fitbit in workout mode to figure out I'm an out of shape fat piece of poo poo.

Works every time.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I can never bring myself to actually wear my Fitbit on the ice. I just worry about it breaking or something if someone starts hacking.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My watch sits inside my glove, so I'm not really worried about it. So far so good.

Although I did get slashed on the hands behind the play last night and my thumb started bleeding all over, so I guess it could still break given the right angle.

I scored the game-winner from my knees after an uncalled crosscheck to the back shortly after the slash, so suck it, guy.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My watch sits inside my glove, so I'm not really worried about it. So far so good.

Although I did get slashed on the hands behind the play last night and my thumb started bleeding all over. No call. Of course.

I scored the game-winner from my knees after an uncalled crosscheck to the back shortly after the slash, so suck it, guy.

Sometimes the thunderdome requires a little blood sacrifice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cuffs on hockey gloves are really very good, I took a slapshot off the wrist several months ago and I barely felt it. The guy that unloaded it skated up and was all "holy poo poo you okay?"

I have no doubt it is very possible to break a watch while playing hockey, but it'd be a freak accident type thing.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

xzzy posted:

The cuffs on hockey gloves are really very good, I took a slapshot off the wrist several months ago and I barely felt it. The guy that unloaded it skated up and was all "holy poo poo you okay?"

I have no doubt it is very possible to break a watch while playing hockey, but it'd be a freak accident type thing.

The thing I worry about probably more so than the watch face is the little glass sensor on the underside that reads your pulse and whatnot. It would really suck if that shattered from a shot/slash and cut you up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the face of the watch would break wayyyy before the heartrate sensor.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah mine sits pretty safe under the cuff of my gloves. Don't think I've been hacked on that side or not but I'm not worried if it gets broken because if that breaks I've got other issues to worry about because it would have to be a hard slash or a hard puck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
With all the people I've seen wearing necklaces, bracelets, watches, wedding rings, and earrings ... you're infinitely more likely to get hurt from the puck, someones stick/skate or falling into the boards.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
I can understand the worry of watch breaking, I had my finger break earlier this season after I took a slap shot off the glove and it got crushed into my stick.
In other news, I got my 10th goal of the season in a 2 goal game that put us up 3-1 over the assholes in our division. :woop: My best season before this was only 3 goals.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ugh been there with the broken finger/stick combination.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Verman posted:

With all the people I've seen wearing necklaces, bracelets, watches, wedding rings, and earrings ... you're infinitely more likely to get hurt from the puck, someones stick/skate or falling into the boards.

Once I heard about ring avulsion, I decided I would never wear my wedding ring when I play hockey.

p.s. if you don't know, don't google it at work

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

That's like degloving, right?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Vargatron posted:

That's like degloving, right?

Pretty much.

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Vargatron posted:

Ugh been there with the broken finger/stick combination.

I didn't even know it was broken. I had it checked, and my doctor's office didn't let me know until I got an automated message 2 weeks later.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The ring finger is pretty much useless anyway, and then you get to walk around with the shocker all day long.

But yes that injury is loving crazy gross, I used to remove my ring and then just sort of kept forgetting.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've had a wedding ring for a whole 3-4 weeks and I immediately adopted the policy of "loving nope" for wearing it during anything athletic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only time wearing a ring in a hazardous environment ever did anyone any good was in the Abyss, and that was a fictional movie.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

xzzy posted:

The only time wearing a ring in a hazardous environment ever did anyone any good was in the Abyss, and that was a fictional movie.

Or Dark Souls.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Watching the USA/OAR replay.

Team USA moves the puck around so well. Its crazy.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Does Amanda Kessel follow the same 2 hot dog pre-game warmup that Phil does?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

calandryll posted:

Does Amanda Kessel follow the same 2 hot dog pre-game warmup that Phil does?

Sometimes I think she's cute then I see this. My guess is that hotdogs run in their blood.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

My guess is that hotdogs run in their blood.

Uhhhh, duh: they're American.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

4am, fools! I haven’t had a hockey-related wake up this early since...

*checks notes*

That time I got a concussion and couldn’t sleep right for a few weeks.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

4am, fools! I haven’t had a hockey-related wake up this early since...

*checks notes*

That time I got a concussion and couldn’t sleep right for a few weeks.

Thanks, cage!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Verman posted:

Sometimes I think she's cute then I see this. My guess is that hotdogs run in their blood.

:lol:

Still my favorite Kessel shop:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I’m impressed that it takes a team comprised of posters from this thread to go to a tournament together for this thread to die.

We won games, people played their first games, people scored their first goals, and my hatred for all of them was less than expected*

*pending this drive to the airport

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I considered posting about how my team played two periods against a team with no goalie and still managed to lose.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
My team hasn’t had a game for a week and a half :(

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
We had a Sunday and Tuesday game last week but nothing for another 2 weeks. Because with the entire league, all divisions, of 15 teams it's hard to determine ice times. :negative:

Stitecin
Feb 6, 2004
Mayor of Stitecinopolis
I scored a absolute garbage goal in my game Thursday night. I am playing D now, and my partner picked up a loose puck and skated in on a breakaway, I was at home on the blueline and our forwards were changing. His shot and rebound put back were saved, but the puck sort of rolled out to the right faceoff dot. I was looking at it thinking "stay home you have no help" but no one was even moving toward it so I skated up and one timed it in the general direction of the net and hauled rear end back. When I turned around it was in the net. I assumed my partner buried it but later found out it went off like two of the other team's skates or legs and in. My first Minute Men goal!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I've been playing nearly every other day this past week and a half. I've also been battling a really bad cough, then I decided to go snowboarding yesterday morning before my game in the evening.

I got taken down on a breakaway and give a penalty shot. I faked backhand and went wide forehand and scored. I take the next face off and get a jump into the zone but was too exhausted to do anything useful so I took a slapshot from the top of the left circle hoping for a change. It went under his armpit and in. 2 goals in one shift.

I have back to back games tonight. Ill be paying from 9 until about 1230. May need to look into some Sudafed.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Verman posted:

I have back to back games tonight. Ill be paying from 9 until about 1230. May need to look into some Sudafed.

advil cold and sinus (behind the counter poo poo) basically got me through the entire weekend of outdoor pond tourney. I was dead and pretty much missed all the fun, extra party time non-game poo poo though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Stitecin posted:

I scored a absolute garbage goal in my game Thursday night.

I scored a garbage goal today. I was just parked in front of the net with my stick down and my teammate at the blue line slapped it right into my stick for the deflection goal. I didn't even have to move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I'm through the worst of it now but I have an annoying lingering shallow cough. I've stopped taking mucinex and just sound like I have the black lung.

The first of my games is at 9pm in Everett, my second game is at 11 in Olympic view. Ill have to drive in my gear to make it on time (minus skates)