Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Prince of Space posted:

1B "Swear fealty to me, Rat King."
2B Take Dracula's wax seal and read his letters.

Yeah, everyone knows rat kings can't be trusted unless they have binding oaths to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Quickly, you grab the documents and seals off of the desk. You would find time soon to read Dracula's missives, but first you had to deal with this rodent.

"I will help you, Rat King, but only upon your pledge. I am in need of aid, just as you. Perhaps you will give me a 'great boon,' yes, but I shall require more. I know to not trust the foul denizens of this place overmuch." The ache coming from your belly and throat mentally underlined your claim. You would not be so quick to accept the aid of another in the future, as even the benevolent could have their works turn to dark works. "I shall require your fealty, your oath to me before I open the door to your cage." You dangle the key in front of its eyes.

The rat hisssed in anger. "Very well then, witch. I shall not give you my fealty, for I serve another already. Perhaps you will meet my liege lord in the future? But Dracula it is not. No." It laughs with a guttural sound. "No, I shall give you an oath. I swear that I shall aid you in two ways: First, I shall call you guide to Dracula's library tower. The entrance is nearby. Second, I promise that the rats and other rodents shall not harm you until the next full moon. I trust this will be enough time to accomplish your task?" It bites off one of its own claws and speaks an arcane tongue. "Archalkesah hisssislesaslkh OKNLYKLK! I have sealed my pact in blood, now open the gate."

You do so, satisfied that there is no trickery involved. For now.

The Rat King rushes out of the cage and into a small hole in the wall. It turns just before it goes out of sight and two glowing eyes appear in the darkness.

You barely hear a soft hiss. "The scout shall arrive in short order."

They eyes disappear and you shudder. Perhaps it would have been wiser to slay such a foul creature?

While you wait for the Rat King's guide to appear, you look at the seized missives.

1. Which do you read while you wait?
a. A page from the Monstorum Hereticum- A dossier of foul monsters, written by Saint Crusius of Pisa. There are notes scrawled in the margins in devilish script.
b. A letter to a Mrs. Marie Shelley, London regarding the reanimation of corpses
c. What seems to be a list of supplies and other sundries for the castle
d. A curious piece of artwork drawn during an autopsy. You feel as if there is something wrong, but cannot place it at a glance
e. Look for another document

Presently, you feel a tug at your pantsleg. You were so engrossed in the document, you had not noticed when a large, albino rat came into the room. It was climbing up your clothing and onto your shoulder. Once there, it hissed into your right ear and tugged on your clothing guiding you towards a sconce on the wall. Understanding the creature's instructions somehow, you pull at the torch and feel a rumble as the wall shifted next to it. A secret passage. You entered and heard the thud as it closed behind you.

A short walk down a hallway later, you enter a large spiral staircase. Looking upward, you notice that this was indeed a tower as the Rat King had proclaimed, with multiple landings within view. Three in particular caught your eye. Hanging off of each of them were large chandeliers, gleaming in midnight colors: Blood Red, Violet and Forest Green; the candles were arranged on each to form arcane Sigils. They showed you what lay beyond each portal:

2. Which landing do you approach?
a. Blood Red- The sigil here means "Sustenance" or "Slavery"
b. Violet- The sigil here means "Weaponry" or "Preparation"
c. Forest Green- The sigil here means "Knowledge" or "Corruption"
d. Continue climbing the tower. The stairs continue...

The albino rat slips away as your begin your climb.

Slaan fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 15, 2018

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
CD

Zybourne Clock posted:

Although it's certainly possible (and hilarious) to Mr. Bean our way through the castle, that's an unintended consequence of having a mechanic that assures the game will end in an unknown but finite number of turns rather than the main character realizing she can just load up a save state whenever things go pear shaped
Makes sense. Just kind of fatalistic.
What I'd originally thought was that Dracula rising means that Winnie and everyone else can die, and die, and die again, they just can't stay dead.
Maybe the idea that none of the choices can change destiny is scarier. Or liberating.

I don't know. I've always wondered about the fatalism inherent in savescumming and wanted to explore it, but I've never been able to figure out how.
I suppose Dracula should quote Camus instead of Malraux this time.

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 15, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

DB

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1A A monster manual entry? Sure!

2A A Room of Sustenance, too? And here we've gotten so hungry...

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1C - A looting guide? For Valentine's Day? You shouldn't have! :swoon:

2C - Tampering in God's domain? For Valentine's Day? You shouldn't have! :swoon:

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

SLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!

AC
Read about monsters then green for go!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C.
2B.

We've got a coupon booklet. Let's shop.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Looks like it'll be zybourne unless he passes with C passing for the first vote and B/C tied for the second

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
1.B
2.C

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
C. Dracula's shopping list
D.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
1A2A

megane
Jun 20, 2008

C
B

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Right on the buzzer, our next GM is Megane!

As for the options that won, it looks like we'll be reading the castle's supply list (1C) and we're either going to visit the weaponry/preparation room (2B) or the knowledge/corruption room (2C). The latter two are tied, so it's up to Megane to choose between those options.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I voted for B for the second one, so I'll go with C. Post incoming later tonight!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You pry open the well-worn cover of a ledger almost as large as yourself, pulling one of the candles closer so that you can read by its feeble and flickering light. Page after page of lists, recording in a dozen different hands the flow of goods through the castle gates. There are entries here dating back centuries before you were born! The supplies in question range from the mundane (it may be a nightmarish creation of the abyss, but it seems the castle still requires floor polish) to the horrifying... for the Count and his servants are possessed of voracious and unholy appetites, as evidenced by the many entries for "victuals." You shiver at the thought of what atrocities might hide behind so small a word.

In recent months, a great quantity of arms and armor has been arriving. No men to bear them, of course, but you imagine the Sire of Darkness creates his own soldiers. He is raising an army within these walls!

You shake your head. Your quest is unchanged, and some of what is here may be of more immediate use to you. Dracula has collected many strange and powerful objects over his unnatural lifespan -- objects which now lie forgotten or discarded in the vaults of the castle. You note down upon your map the supposed storage location of several such artifacts. You imagine they must be well guarded, but surely worth seeking out.

One is quite nearby, at the top of the library tower -- what is kept there?
A. a hand mirror, which reflects the truth of things
B. a blessed silver diadem, last masterwork of Prince Heron
C. a greataxe once used in battle against Dracula himself, and still stained with his blood
D. a pair of boots, supposedly made from the cured hide of a great wyvern
E. the whole entry has been blacked out - what does that mean?

Flipping to the most recent page, you note one last bit of strangeness. A suite has been prepared in "the clock tower" for what looks to be a normal human prisoner (or guest, perhaps). Someone who eats real food and sleeps, at the very least. Who could it be?

With a squeal, the white rat vanishes through a crack in the masonry, leaving you to climb the tower with only the echoes of your footsteps for company. You stop at the first landing, beneath the green chandelier. The heavy wooden door opens slowly at your touch.

The Conservatory

The red moon shines through thick glass, silhouetting the strange plants grown here. Some you recognize: herbs and roots seen in old books. Medicines and poisons and magical reagents. Others are utterly alien, with razor-sharp leaves and sickly-sweet smelling fruit. Trees press against the ceiling, their twisted branches thick with vines.

This place seems tranquil, at first... but something is very wrong here. Leaves and branches rustle and creak around you as you make your way down the stone steps to the fountain at the garden's center, though there is no wind to move them.

You glance down at the silent water, and are caught by the sight of your own reflection. Is... is that...

But your reverie is broken by the crash of leaves. You whirl, only to find you have lost sight of the door by which you entered! What clutches at you out of the darkness?

A. a terrible spirit of the ancient wood, whispering forbidden magic
B. a gorgon, silently stalking your every move
C. an insectile demon, whose power has twisted the pathways of this place in upon themselves
D. the plants themselves, turning their thorns and vines against you

megane fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Feb 17, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

ED

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1Dragon Boots
2Ancient Wood Spirit

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1C.. Because :black101:
2A.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
1.A2.C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

BC Only pretty baubles can save us from insects

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

EB

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

ED!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
ED

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
The voting phase has ended. It appears that the closest treasure on the map (the green cross in square W-10) is... 1E. the blacked out entry. As for the thing that's attacking us right now, it's 2D. all of the plants in the room.

Our next GM is Rockopolis.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I can't loving write.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Rockopolis posted:

I can't loving write.

I believe in you!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I don’t care how bad you write. WRITE!

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Rockopolis posted:

I can't loving write.

We're not exactly writing the next War and Peace here, so writing skills or a lack thereof shouldn't hold you back from participating.

Do you want to give it a try? If not, in the interest of moving things along the next person to post after you automatically becomes the next DM.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

One sentence is fine too.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

Yeah. Pass. I got literally nothing.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Plants! Hideous plants!

You wrench you arm away from the vines only to have your legs pulled from underneath you. You hit the water with a splash, your word of fire doused in your throat as water floods in. More vines wrap around your limbs and throat, pulling you under. Sharp thorns pierce your skin as you fight the urge to cry out, and you see your own blood fill the clear water, now lit with an unnatural glow.

1]
A) The figure atop the fountain opens it's eyes, glowing vampiric red, nourished by the blood drawn from the water.[vampiric thrall!]
B) You feel weak, the strength leaves your limbs, as you sink further. [die? If you pick this, don't chose any later selections, cos you dead!]
C) The plant draws your blood in as sustenance. Beside the pool, a bulbous white flower blooms. [strange spores]
D) The strange glow intensified, as whatever is causing it feeds. The water starts to sting at your eyes, slowly acidifying as it feeds more. [melting acid]

You can't breathe, you can't escape. But... What did you see in your reflection?
2]
E) No reflection! No breath? Could dracula really have...
F) Where did you get that dagger? You should be able to reach it and cut...
G) Not your reflection, beneath the water! A drain? Pull it and...
H) Behind you, the nun! Her bony hands pull you free...

That is just enough to get free from the water. You surface, and crawl out to the side. Free from the pool, you still have the rest of the dangers to deal with.
You rely on your
3]
I) martial arts!
J) magicks!
K) smarts!
to overcome them.

When you are finally done, you scour the room, returning with a selection of rare plants and extracts. If you could find an alchemy room of some kind, you could make some poisons, drugs, or something else! It's too damp here, the humid air makes it impossible to dry out, and the air now has a chill that wasn't there when you entered. The doorway uncovered in your search, you leave.

Staggering back into the hallway, you lean to catch your breath. Still damp from the water, a lot worse for wear you have just enough energy to stagger to one of the other two doors, before stoping to dry yourself out with mystic fire, and pause for a moments rest . Your short rest turns into a deep sleep, with your back against the wall.
4]
You open you reyes. Rested, invigorated, hungry. You open the door.
L) Blood Red- The sigil here means "Sustenance" or "Slavery". The blacked out entry should be here.
M) Violet- The sigil here means "Weaponry" or "Preparation". You are not sure if you wil get a chance to return here.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 21, 2018

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

CGIL

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
DGJL

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

C
F
K
M

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

DFKM

megane
Jun 20, 2008

CFIL

megane fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 21, 2018

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
B

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

CHIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

So far, the winning votes are to face off against the bulbous plant after escaping from the vines using a mysterious knife, with your sharktacular martial arts abilities. Then entering ??? wherever.

But some choices are pretty close, and there's still plenty of time to vote.

A 0 | B 1 | C 4 | D 2

E 0 | F 3 | G 2 | H 1

I 3 | J 1 | K 2

L 3 | M 3

• Locked thread