Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm beginning to think this Assad guy just does things arbitrarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Humvees can be modified to carry lighter AA guns in the back, but you have to take off all the paneling and expose the crew anyway, so it's no different functionally from putting an AA gun on a pickup trick.

AA guns are anti-infantry guns, and you can burst fire with decent accuracy from kilometers away. Small arms just don't have that kind of reach. The ZSU-23 can be mounted in the back of a pickup truck and has an effective range of 2 miles. At that distance, the only real threat is from very accurate anti-materiel rifles, or ATGMs. The kind of armor on a humvee meant to block bullets won't protect you from a missile anyway. And if you're behind cover with only the weapon exposed it's nearly impossible to hit at long range. It's the most cost effective solution for mechanizing a militia.

This is a post from months ago, but my question is timeless: how in the gently caress do you know this stuff? Do you google it before posting or do you just have a swath of knowledge about the world so wide that it encompasses what kind of guns can be loaded effectively onto pickup trucks?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Read your tactical WWII history and then wonder if any of it was repeated?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

This is a post from months ago, but my question is timeless: how in the gently caress do you know this stuff? Do you google it before posting or do you just have a swath of knowledge about the world so wide that it encompasses what kind of guns can be loaded effectively onto pickup trucks?

You see enough photos of technicals coming out of the Middle East and it's easy enough to put 2 and 2 together. From there it's a matter of searching out the details. So it's both.

Like Lawman 0 just said, they were using AA guns as anti-infantry weapons during World War 2. There's a scene in Saving Private Ryan where the Germans use a Flak 38, if you want an exaggerrated idea of what it's like to get hit by rounds that are bigger than golf balls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3kDNYeGm3k

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Meanwhile: It's recently been revealed that Israel was in secret alliance with Egypt and had carried out over a hundred bombing missions into the Sinai against ISIS with unmarked planes & drones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksulNgJ5bHw

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Meanwhile: It's recently been revealed that Israel was in secret alliance with Egypt

no wayyyyy

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I guess this isn't technically syria, but nearby Libya had a fun image today:

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

:yikes:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
A man of contrasts

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

So the world is just like this now?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

code name duchess...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Wonder how many voluntourists the Kurds have to send home for being too weird. IS iirc would just make them blow themselves up.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
the kurdish handlers of the weirdo foreign ypg fighters are the true heroes of the revolution

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol imagine someone having to deal with homework explainer 24/7

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

aphid_licker posted:

Wonder how many voluntourists the Kurds have to send home for being too weird. IS iirc would just make them blow themselves up.

lol that reminds me of the extremely online autistic australian 17 year old who somehow made it to syria and joined up with IS and then on his like first week there they were like "uh yeah your divine mission is to drive this explosive filled truck into the front gate of that police station, god bless"

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Baloogan posted:

and imagine that person being an extremely not-online rural communist kurdish militiaman

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the great deceiver posted:

lol that reminds me of the extremely online autistic australian 17 year old who somehow made it to syria and joined up with IS and then on his like first week there they were like "uh yeah your divine mission is to drive this explosive filled truck into the front gate of that police station, god bless"

IS's human resources could see the true value in their personnel, you gotta admit.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Baloogan posted:

And it's not like in ISIS where the annoying foreigners just had a bomb strapped to them and told a direction to run.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They made Pisspig Grandad do mine clearing duty.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

aphid_licker posted:

pisspig talked about a group of american "isis killer" type conservatives being sent home after refusing to join in a lenin study group and not realizing the YPG was a communist organisation. Also there was apperently a guy who got sent home for cannibalism.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They made Pisspig Grandad do mine clearing duty.

everyone involved in taking back any ISIS held town has to do mine clearing duty.

turns out wiring most structures in a town to explode buys you a lot of time to perform defense in depth.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

HorrificExistence posted:

pisspig talked about a group of american "isis killer" type conservatives being sent home after refusing to join in a lenin study group and not realizing the YPG was a communist organisation. Also there was apperently a guy who got sent home for cannibalism.

:froggonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So apparently the Kurds made a deal of some sort? Maybe?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lol if you don't eat the heart of your enemy to make his strength and bravery your own

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Didn't the Kurds fight a bunch of former novorossia mercs recently too lol

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

^^^ Russian media interviewed the families of the mercs the USAF killed recently and they were apparently in Donbas before. Really curious about how the money flows and chain of command look like for stuff like that. Like does it end up at some Russian Defense department slush fund, some oligarch, Gazprom, did Putin pop off an email at some point etc.

I feel like you should not just send the cannibal home. Like stamp his passport or something so immigration can look into him, idk

aphid_licker has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Feb 19, 2018

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
In fairness I don't think any goverment just lets you come back from Syria without a talking to. Unless it was them who sent you there in the first place.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

^^^ Russian media interviewed the families of the mercs the USAF killed recently and they were apparently in Donbas before. Really curious about how the money flows and chain of command look like for stuff like that. Like does it end up at some Russian Defense department slush fund, some oligarch, Gazprom, did Putin pop off an email at some point etc.

I feel like you should not just send the cannibal home. Like stamp his passport or something so immigration can look into him, idk

They are paid by Putin linked oligarchs and are basically the plausible deniability operation wing of the Russian MoD yeah. The Wagner Group.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Plutonis posted:

They are paid by Putin linked oligarchs and are basically the plausible deniability operation wing of the Russian MoD yeah. The Wagner Group.

Yeah I know that much, I meant, and I guess this is mostly sort of morbid voyeurism or whatever, on the microest of levels, who talks to who and how openly, through what channels etc.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The real question is why putin thinks he needs plausible deniability

Whats the point, really

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

people care if regulars die

merc death is practically encouraged otoh

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mercenaries are the worst people in the world and it’s always good when they die.

coathat
May 21, 2007

rudatron posted:

The real question is why putin thinks he needs plausible deniability

Whats the point, really

Any failure by the army reflects bad on the state where as PMCs can be discounted easily. Also them being illegal in Russia puts a check on them gaining infulunce domestically.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/CivilWarMap/status/965962045425422337

I'm the Toyotathon Sales Event

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Rojhat_Dersim/status/965969844880510977

The state of the online discourse is good.

https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/965938450414399489
https://twitter.com/QalaatAlMudiq/status/965943861876011008

The artillery guns mounted in large commercial flatbed trucks are something I haven't seen before, but I suppose you'd need that kind of heavy equipment in the first place to even conceive of it. Only pro-government militias could have access to those kind of heavy weapons, and any state military would be using purpose-made self-propelled guns.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 16:43 on Feb 20, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
operation olive branch working well creating an alliance between assad and YPG

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't know which is a worse title "Operation Olivebranch" or "Operation Iraqi Freedom"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Frijolero posted:

Don't know which is a worse title "Operation Olivebranch" or "Operation Iraqi Freedom"

Afrin is Syria's most productive region for producing olives, so there's a tongue in cheek implication to "Operation Olivebranch" that isn't just some kind of Orwellian newspeak thing.

https://twitter.com/op_shield/status/965961933877899265

Just a few days ago some of these Assadist militiamen were getting blasted by the American air force for attacking SDF at Deir ez Zor, and now they're going into Afrin to fight the FSA with YPG. Civil Wars are crazy as Hell.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 18:08 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm glad Trump is leading with classic American traditions like giving weapons to both sides and bombing both sides.