Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
EDIT: you can take my puppers from my cold, dead hands

I mean, I'm not wrong. And I'm OK with licensing armed guards and concealed carry, as long as the license is shall issue the way drivers licenses are, rather than requiring the applicant to demonstrate "good cause."

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

dbukalski posted:

hunting is not a valid reason
sport shooting sure as hell isnt
and self defense statistics show is stupid since the guns more likely to hurt the owner than protect them
YOU CAN GET RID OF MOST GUNS AND STILL HAVE HUNTING AND SPORT SHOOTING

If you're arguing against those, you've been tricked. You can ban guns as effectively as the UK or Australia and still have these things, you just have to design your laws well.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

:laffo:

Yeah, you are an insane person and I'm sorry for responding to you.

edit:

quote:

(so long as it doesn't endanger your neighbors)
Hoisted on your own petard.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 20, 2018

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
more like...
dumb reckoning

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

:laffo:

Yeah, you are an insane person and I'm sorry for responding to you.
So, you aren't in favor of regulating guns the way we regulate cars then? Or did you not actually understand how car laws work?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

I definitely agree that we should regulate cars the way we regulate guns. You can build a dragster with no plates, with no emission controls, with no seat belts, no VIN, and let your buddy with no license drive it, and as long as you do it on private property for non-commercial purposes, the state DMV and Highway Patrol won't say squat. Virtually every law related to the operation of motor vehicles is with respect to operating them on public roads, lands, or waterways.

I think gun ownership should be the same way, that you should be able to more or less do as you please and own what you want on private property (so long as it doesn't endanger your neighbors) and that public activity should be regulated by a series of shall-issue licenses, depending on what you want to do.

Congratulations you just agreed to something far better then we have now. Although I don't think you have really thought it through, it's pretty much impossible for a person to operate a car on private property to any real effect, what are you going to drive the 20' to the end of the drive way? Also firing a weapon on private property would be similarly restricted what with a bullet's ability to go through walls and kill people. But even ignoring all that, not being able to carry a gun off of your property without a license would have been a great suggestion 20 years ago.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

theflyingorc posted:

more like...
dumb reckoning

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Instead of just taking away all guns, we should take them all away and give gun owners little sheriff badges and pistol-shaped lollipops.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

So, you aren't in favor of regulating guns the way we regulate cars then? Or did you not actually understand how car laws work?
I think it's real weird that you get twisted in knots every time someone suggests you lose your toys.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Faustian Bargain posted:

Oh yeah totally the same thing :rolleyes:

edit: I'm not sure if I'm missing the joke

You are but it's ok: you're not the only one.

https://twitter.com/JesseFFerguson/status/965090459558268928

Remember when they changed the conversation about torture from "should we torture?" to "Is this torture?"?

This is them turning the conversation from "gun restrictions" to "magazine sizes" because they know they've already won that battle. The entire point of EVERY school shooting tactic is to give the OTHER children a few extra seconds.

2:21: Cruz enters the school and opened fire.
2:27: Cruz drops the gun and leaves.

Twenty dead in six minutes. The solution is now, in our current reality, not to restrict how many bullets he can fire in that time, or even IF he can fire those bullets, it's now "How can we distract him for a few extra seconds so maybe he won't have time to empty the rest of the magazine?" From now until the foreseeable future, the rest of time, we'll all have to sit and watch them selling 40-50-60 round magazines and then come up with even longer distractions, even better ways to become the target, eventually each classroom will have a Designated Target, he is the loudest and fastest kid in class, he's given bright clothing and a loud horn and made to memorize rhyming nonsense songs designed to distract so they won't forget them in the eventually emergency. A few years from now prosperity churches will start to incorporate a "lost" apostle of Jesus who was a little dark boy that dressed in bright reds and yellows and they'll talk up his "special place" far to the side of the Lord jumping up and down loudly yelling gibberish . For this they'll get extra credit and opportunities to be the Designated Target at prestigious Fortune 500 companies. You know: if they're not shot and killed when they are 8.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Plus, this is how every other consumer product is regulated. If you sell a car to someone on Craigslist, and they use it to rob a bank or run someone over while DWI, you won't be prosecuted unless you somehow knew they were going to.

Have you considered they aren't a consumer product but a weapon intended to kill people

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dead Reckoning posted:

you know what everyone means and this isn't a logical contradiction you're catching people in, fucko

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Unoriginal Name posted:

Have you considered they aren't a consumer product but a weapon intended to kill people

but, get this, what if a terrorist buys a car specifically to kill people?! haha got you now libtard

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chard posted:

No.
stop replying to dead reckoning

Hey dude I tried to steer it to talking about good dogs but noooo.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

^^ this never works, you simple person. your good intentions are as ashes beneath their zombie feet

Smeef posted:

Instead of just taking away all guns, we should take them all away and give gun owners little sheriff badges and pistol-shaped lollipops.

the lollipops contain 50mg of THC, because even assholes should have a good time once in a while

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chard posted:

^^ this never works, you simple person. your good intentions are as ashes beneath their zombie feet

the lollipops contain 50mg of THC, because even assholes should have a good time once in a while

Good idea, drug gun owners so they no longer care about the size of their dicks

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Aves Maria! posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be warned.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Here's an idea: gently caress individual rights to guns, gently caress individualism in general, and gently caress you. That last part is meant in a nicer tone than it sounds

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Aves Maria! posted:

Just start selling America flag colored rulers at gun shops that have inch marks at half inch intervals

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Aves Maria! posted:

Good idea, drug gun owners so they no longer care about the continued existence of their dicks

fixed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

gently caress individualism in general

Why exactly? Conformity in america's not been much of an appealing look for me when for much of it's history that's been "Get back in the closet human being".

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

I think it's real weird that you get twisted in knots every time someone suggests you lose your toys.
Sorry your gotcha didn't work out.

theflyingorc posted:

you know what everyone means and this isn't a logical contradiction you're catching people in, fucko
I really don't. I just assume people mean what they say. People keep suggesting that we regulate guns the way we regulate cars, I agree that we should regulate guns exactly the way we actually regulate cars, and that makes people really mad for some reason.

Unoriginal Name posted:

Alcohol is a product designed solely to make you drunk. Why does designer's intent matter?

Aves Maria! posted:

but, get this, what if a terrorist buys a car specifically to kill people?! haha got you now libtard
Well, I don't think we should send the seller to prison unless they knew it was going to be used for terrorism. Other posters apparently think otherwise.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Dead Reckoning posted:

I really don't. I just assume people mean what they say. People keep suggesting that we regulate guns the way we regulate cars, I agree that we should regulate guns exactly the way we actually regulate cars, and that makes people really mad for some reason.
lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Reposting dog for those who have him on ignore.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So this is the third major mass shooting of Trump's presidency, right? This one, the church one, las vegas? With the pulse nightclub shooting happening during the campaign? I feel like I'm missing one.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sorry your gotcha didn't work out.
:nallears:

yeah you owned me, i just ordered 100 ARs

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Honestly, outside of a full ban, I'd be fine with one gun per person. You can buy a rifle for hunting, or a handgun for being a giant pissbaby who's terrified of the world, or an AR15 for being the king of pissbabies, but that's it. One gun. And you can't buy another one until you've sold that one back to a dealer/govt agency. The guns will be traced, there will be stiff punishments for "losing" a gun, including no more guns for you.

Because honestly, outside of spree shootings, the biggest issue we have is straw purchases. This eliminates them. Over time, as police confiscate guns as they routinely do, there are less and less on the street, but pissbabies still get to have their security blankets and, largely, they are harmless.

But ultimately gun owners will reject this, because if they can't have 16 guns, then they've been oppressed, because it ultimately has nothing to do with hunting or self defense, but just liking guns.

And fine, I'll even let them have 2 guns, for those guys who shoot fowl and deer.

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

So we all agree it's time to start prying guns out of their cold dead hands?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

So this is the third major mass shooting of Trump's presidency, right? This one, the church one, las vegas? With the pulse nightclub shooting happening during the campaign? I feel like I'm missing one.

Mass shooting in general or mass shooting that gets a lot of national media attention?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Chard posted:

I'm not saying they shouldn't be warned.

I am

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Every handgun be legal, so long as it weighs 2000 pounds like those giant stone coins they use on the island of Yap.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Slugworth posted:

Honestly, outside of a full ban, I'd be fine with one gun per person. You can buy a rifle for hunting, or a handgun for being a giant pissbaby who's terrified of the world, or an AR15 for being the king of pissbabies, but that's it. One gun. And you can't buy another one until you've sold that one back to a dealer/govt agency. The guns will be traced, there will be stiff punishments for "losing" a gun, including no more guns for you.

Because honestly, outside of spree shootings, the biggest issue we have is straw purchases. This eliminates them. Over time, as police confiscate guns as they routinely do, there are less and less on the street, but pissbabies still get to have their security blankets and, largely, they are harmless.

But ultimately gun owners will reject this, because if they can't have 16 guns, then they've been oppressed, because it ultimately has nothing to do with hunting or self defense, but just liking guns.

And fine, I'll even let them have 2 guns, for those guys who shoot fowl and deer.

The idea is make it harder for everyone to get guns so that the fast majority of people don't even bother....

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

trigger locks, but they are a three-dimensional picross that resets if you lift both feet off the ground

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

The gun bot is repeating itself. It posted that bit about the dragster verbatim two days ago. It has this poo poo memorized or saved to a doc for handy cut and paste.

Stop replying to it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

a national lottery that awards The Annual Bullet to a winner who by definition did not enter the contest

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yardbomb posted:

Why exactly? Conformity in america's not been much of an appealing look for me when for much of it's history that's been "Get back in the closet human being".

The alternative to individualism isn't conformity, but communitarianism.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Slugworth posted:

Outside of a renaissance for drillings, what is this supposed to do? Most of the killings in this country aren't done by people with 16 guns, they're done by people with one gun (who bought it illegally and may or may not throw it down the sewer after) and a lot of ill will.

mistaya posted:

The gun bot is repeating itself. It posted that bit about the dragster verbatim two days ago. It has this poo poo memorized or saved to a doc for handy cut and paste.

Stop replying to it.
Every time someone suggests regulating cars like guns, I copy it from the last time someone suggested regulating cars like guns. TT is the first one I've seen give it an honest reply.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DR is the first person I've ever put on ignore.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Hey since the purpose of the second amendment is to provide for a militia to defend the country.

Every single gun owner must meet the physical fitness levels for enlistment and go through boot camp and psychological screening in order to own a gun.

And part of that means no memberships in hate groups or tattoos displaying the symbols of recognized hate groups.

Or we could just ban all guns. That seems simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bogoodski
Feb 17, 2018
I'll catch up with the thread in the morning but I just now wanted to quickly share that you can add to the category of "things escalating quickly", me mainlining Cowboy Bebop nightly. Thanks!!

• Locked thread