Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Inzombiac posted:

I just started Watch Dogs 2 and I'm already having more fun than GTA5.
Maybe the game becomes lovely but there is so much characterization already that I'm impressed.
One of your friends is autistic and, so far, it's not played as a joke. He has the most raw talent of the group and is highly respected. They tease him a bit but then he will throw it back in a really dry way that takes you a second to get that he's joking.

The driving is just alright but everything else is pretty awesome.

Even the annoying guy Wrench turns into a good character. It really is a good game that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Push El Burrito posted:

Even the annoying guy Wrench turns into a good character. It really is a good game that way.

I'm kinda bummed that watch dogs 2 was an open world game - they built a really great cast of characters and really fun plot but it suffers from the whole "you can do all the side missions in any order, so theres no followup or impact from 80% of the game" thing that happens for open world games.

Give me more long distance hacking / stealth via drones anyday ubisoft.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
More Okami goodness- the Bloom power feels initially like a key-for-a-lock power, but the second you drop it on one of the actual big locks, you are treated to gamefeel.mp4 as a gargantuan cascade of light and fresh water and flowers rewrite the landscape. Usually the conceit that you're "playing as a god" doesn't really hold because you end up in fistfights with dudes who are definitely not on your level, but in Okami you're just not a fighting god; you're that kind of god. I am so pumped to do the Okami equivalent of pressing A on trees right now.

Also Fighting Master Onigiri Sensei is one of the goddamned cleverest character designs I have ever seen.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lechtansi posted:

I'm kinda bummed that watch dogs 2 was an open world game - they built a really great cast of characters and really fun plot but it suffers from the whole "you can do all the side missions in any order, so theres no followup or impact from 80% of the game" thing that happens for open world games.

Give me more long distance hacking / stealth via drones anyday ubisoft.

I've played like, two open world games that were made better instead of worse by being open-world in my experience, and they were both Bethesda RPGs.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Somfin posted:

More Okami goodness- the Bloom power feels initially like a key-for-a-lock power, but the second you drop it on one of the actual big locks, you are treated to gamefeel.mp4 as a gargantuan cascade of light and fresh water and flowers rewrite the landscape. Usually the conceit that you're "playing as a god" doesn't really hold because you end up in fistfights with dudes who are definitely not on your level, but in Okami you're just not a fighting god; you're that kind of god. I am so pumped to do the Okami equivalent of pressing A on trees right now.

Also Fighting Master Onigiri Sensei is one of the goddamned cleverest character designs I have ever seen.

Fighting Ammy must be horrifying for the enemies in that game. You engage this doofy white wolf and suddenly you're being hacked apart by invisible blades and buffeted by windstorms and lightning and miniature trees start bursting through the ground and you can't run away because bombs have popped out of thin air all around and now there's a miniature sun burning it all to cinders and then the wolf walks over to your gently smoldering body and pees on you :woof:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Oxxidation posted:

Fighting Ammy must be horrifying for the enemies in that game. You engage this doofy white wolf and suddenly you're being hacked apart by invisible blades and buffeted by windstorms and lightning and miniature trees start bursting through the ground and you can't run away because bombs have popped out of thin air all around and now there's a miniature sun burning it all to cinders and then the wolf walks over to your gently smoldering body and pees on you :woof:

For similar reasons I love the boss of the second act, (spoilering for the newcomer to the game)Ninetales. She starts off on your level, fighting with your techniques and countering you completely - then you destroy her foxfires, reducing her number of tails gradually until they are all dead. Then all you are left with is an old, battlescarred ancient fox who is clearly exhausted, kept going by sheer spite as she lunges at you with her only remaining weapon, attacking faster out of rage and desperation. Orochi is the fight most people know about, but the other bosses are cool too.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

I like that the game rewards you for using your brush powers in combat, too. Most, if not all, enemies will have a specific power their weak to and finishing them off with it rewards you with demon fangs and some times a unique finishing animation.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Cleretic posted:

I've played like, two open world games that were made better instead of worse by being open-world in my experience, and they were both Bethesda RPGs.

I love MGSV because it's open world and you can just chill and attack outposts rather than getting into weird plot stuff if you want. Also Just Cause 2 because the missions were mostly terrible but the open world was actually fun.

Edit: apart from the mission with the rocket launches, that was amazing

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

BioEnchanted posted:

For similar reasons I love the boss of the second act, (spoilering for the newcomer to the game)Ninetales. She starts off on your level, fighting with your techniques and countering you completely - then you destroy her foxfires, reducing her number of tails gradually until they are all dead. Then all you are left with is an old, battlescarred ancient fox who is clearly exhausted, kept going by sheer spite as she lunges at you with her only remaining weapon, attacking faster out of rage and desperation. Orochi is the fight most people know about, but the other bosses are cool too.

The very last boss has the most emotional moment but the Twin Owls are the most kick-rear end fight in the game by far.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
In general I always enjoy in games that have established Ensemble casts (ie you know who the primary villains are from the beginning outside of twists adding new ones to the roster) when you finally kill the first of the ensemble, it always feels satisfying. Like before I've been fighting hired replacable goons but now, finally the corrupt politician or deranged warlock is dead and I feel like the villains plans are finally being disrupted.

Like in Gun, now that I've killed Hoodoo, in the very next mission two of the other major villains capture Colton, and the Priest and the Redneck Fortress dude are in reach (of mah BULLETS). Even if none of them are final bosses, finally getting to kill a guy who's been bugging you since the start feels special. In Metal Gear Rising, Mistral is fun, and the Monsoon is tricky, but Sundowner and Jetstream Sam give a sense of closure. Of "This character has now served a purpose and is ready to leave the stage".

I think it's partially because after that instigating event of the first of them falling to your gun or blade, it gets the other villains concerned, they take notice and start coming after you back, meaning they get more screen time and backstories fall into place and you finally understand why you are actually killing them outside of the base revenge story that it inevitably starts off as. The stakes fall into place and you finally know why you should care. Also most games build a tempo with that kind of thing, where the least important enemy dying means that each of the others will come sooner than the last until the ending comes and the enemy ensemble are dropping like flies. It feels like this is the rhythm a lot of the time, with the periods being goons and the Bs being bosses:

........................................................B.....................................B...........B......B......B...B..FB

Like I feel Hoodoo's death may be the halfway point of Gun, or at least it feels that way now that I'm back at the Blackfoot territory.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

As a man with a deep interest in genitalia mutilation, I am enjoying outlast 2

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

oldpainless posted:

As a man with a deep interest in genitalia mutilation, I am enjoying outlast 2

No one say it. I know you want to--it's right there!--but you're better than that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
more like marshmallow killjoy

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
More like old-

marshmallow creep posted:

No one say it. I know you want to--it's right there!--but you're better than that.

gently caress!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
*face reddens*

*neck bulges*

*veins in eyes burst*

MORE LIKE OLDDICKLESS

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
More like oldnormalinterestsless

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Who What Now posted:

*face reddens*

*neck bulges*

*veins in eyes burst*

MORE LIKE OLDDICKLESS

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know how people feel about the sequel (though I enjoyed it and imo its the best DS "Zelda") but I did like that they reused that "boss also draws" mechanic for the final fight - even though its kind of impossible to take seriously because it's puppies. :3:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I liked Okami a lot, but I'm just so repulsed by Issun it makes me not want to play. I wish there was a "turn off annoying jackass" button.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

packetmantis posted:

I wish there was a "turn off annoying jackass" button.

Why would you want to remove yourself as the player?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

packetmantis posted:

I wish there was a "turn off annoying jackass" button.

turn on your monitor

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
The most recent HD release lets you skip pretty much all the cutscenes and dialogue.

So wish granted, I guess.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Why would you want to remove yourself as the player?

RyokoTK posted:

turn on your monitor

Keep repeating the same obvious thing for a few dozen more posts and you'll have the authentic Issun experience.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Guy Mann posted:

Keep repeating the same obvious thing for a few dozen more posts and you'll have the authentic Issun experience.

Did ya hear that furball? You just gotta keep making posts to have the authentic Issun experience.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh I have to get back to Okami again. Got very far in the original, got the PS3 remake but never got round to it, did a bit of the PS4 version and it is a lovely redoing.

Also the load screen minigames now seem to always wait long enough for you to get the fang if you try for it which is nice. I don't remember what they are for but it was something useful I think

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

McDragon posted:

Oh I have to get back to Okami again. Got very far in the original, got the PS3 remake but never got round to it, did a bit of the PS4 version and it is a lovely redoing.

Also the load screen minigames now seem to always wait long enough for you to get the fang if you try for it which is nice. I don't remember what they are for but it was something useful I think

Buying useful items later in the game iirc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Extremely useful items.

My only complaint about Okami is theres no postgame, if you beat the game and want to collect the rest of the stuff you missed you have to restart the game and that the ultimate technique costs an obscene sum of cash.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Barudak posted:

Extremely useful items.

My only complaint about Okami is theres no postgame, if you beat the game and want to collect the rest of the stuff you missed you have to restart the game and that the ultimate technique costs an obscene sum of cash.

Yes - that got me bad. Because I decided not fight the final stone wall dude (and missed some battle gauntlet somewhere?), I just missed the praise requirement to get a karmic transformer (I think for the realistic wolf costume?).
So to use it - I'd have to beat the game twice - and then do a second new game +.

Also it has a really bad point of No return, but not as bad as Okamiden's where you get trapped in the past where there's nothing to do aside from beat the game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

My favorite thing in Doki Doki Literature Club: when Monika, having destroyed everyone else in her universe, refers to your character name not being your name and then she calls you by your actual name, which I'm guessing the game obtains via your OS username? I've never been so deeply, thoroughly unsettled by a game and I am grateful for it.

Same, this was the game's most effective moment imho. I can see where it doesn't always work, but if you are set up so it does, it loving drops your stomach out.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pick posted:

Same, this was the game's most effective moment imho. I can see where it doesn't always work, but if you are set up so it does, it loving drops your stomach out.

Smdh if you don't name your computer "Weedlord Bonerhitler 42069"

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It gets it from your Steam profile. Unfortunately, my name in Steam is "gently caress you Steam I am not giving you my real name," so it didn't really work out.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Quick question- will I see the point of no return coming in Okami?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Barudak posted:

Extremely useful items.

Yeah it kind of sucks to beat the game and collect all of the cool dog stuff and the magical beads that make you immortal. Only to have nothing to do with them.

Somfin posted:

Quick question- will I see the point of no return coming in Okami?

It's very obvious, yes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

Smdh if you don't name your computer "Weedlord Bonerhitler 42069"

Of all populations, I think goons would be most likely to have it set up "wrong" haha. But weirdly for me, I didn't. Even I'm kind of surprised, so of course the in-game moment was a SERIOUS wtf.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It gets it from your Steam profile. Unfortunately, my name in Steam is "gently caress you Steam I am not giving you my real name," so it didn't really work out.

I remember hearing that if your computer is running some recognizable streaming software ie. Xsplit the game uses the Steam name instead of the OS user name, because of potential privacy issues.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Connoisseur posted:

I remember hearing that if your computer is running some recognizable streaming software ie. Xsplit the game uses the Steam name instead of the OS user name, because of potential privacy issues.

Yeah, in fact if you're streaming the game, she'll instead berate you for recording her without her permission and says hello to the chat, apologizing that she can't read their messages from inside the game. I've watched a few Japanese streamers stream the game (it only got a Japanese fan translation relatively recently) and the reactions to that are always amazing. Everybody just freaks out.

You also get an extra "trick" from her in the form of a jump scare fakeout followed by "I was just kidding," which is then immediately followed by an actual jump scare once you've let your guard down which is a hilarious dick move.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
IM NOT OWNED

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'll be honest "is your name really... Big Tity Honkers?" worked but more in the sense that it felt like she was realising she'd made a huge mistake

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Played the Evil Within 2 for the first time in months - still around chapter 4. But I kind of love/hate how worthless your fire arms seem to be compared to the other RE4-esque games.
Like from 4 and onward I felt safe when I at least I had like a handful of bullets but I know in Evil Within 2 - that I'm going to be dry the next time I end up in a situation where I have to shoot at people.

Even more so that there's a new enemy type that you cannot run from - and seems to take tons of rounds to kill and can also side step loving bullets and harpoons. So not having bullets in those situations is a guaranteed death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Which enemy is that? The one who makes the screen go all weird?