Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Taear posted:

The thing is all that's a lot of work compared to doing it with Rex.
I guess I want it to be as easy as I can make it so I'm not going to faff around if I can get the same results ten times simpler.

Double Spinning Edge! Double Spinning Edge! Double Spinning Edge!

Lemme take it! Photon Edge!

Easy peasey!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

If you give Roc a moon matter chip and Crit+ V he has like an 80% Crit rate, also.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I guess I'm getting towards the end too (chapter 7). Is there an end game or post game where I'm free to finish off old quests?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Reality Loser posted:

I guess I'm getting towards the end too (chapter 7). Is there an end game or post game where I'm free to finish off old quests?

It saves it just before you fight the LAST BOSS and puts a little medal next to it when you complete the game.
So yea, effectively.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Taear posted:

The thing is all that's a lot of work compared to doing it with Rex.
I guess I want it to be as easy as I can make it so I'm not going to faff around if I can get the same results ten times simpler.

To be honest, it didn't take that much effort. I stumbled upon a couple Avant Garde Medals before I even figured out what they did. The hard part was getting Zenobia to show up, I admit, but I was running without Rex for the last 3 or so chapters of the game with no issue. I like controlling Nia. She's my favorite character.

I didn't grind for too much stuff and I managed to beat up several superbosses without Rex. :shrug: He's a crutch. You don't need him. I won't stop anybody who wants to use him, but don't feel like you have to!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Fetus posted:

wall of text

ha HAAAAAA so i really did get astronomically lucky with getting kosmos. gently caress yeah

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If I was going to guess, I'd say one of those five percentages are assigned at the start of your game.

You were correct!

quote:

Apparently every time a new game is started, the save file is assigned 1 of 5 sets of rare blade probabilities

Meaning everybody gets different stuff

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Dr. Fetus posted:

You were correct!

I wonder if it picks a number 1-5 for each individual blade, or if each column of that table is a set and you are assigned one of five sets.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

bizarre deformity posted:

I wonder if it picks a number 1-5 for each individual blade, or if each column of that table is a set and you are assigned one of five sets.

It's the latter. You are assigned one column once you make a new save file and that's it. No way to change it. Woe to you if you got column 2, as that has the worst overall rates of getting a rare blade, period.

Now it's fairly likely to get rare blades early on, since the game computes for the chances to add each rare blade to the pool separately.

Once the blades are in the pool, the core crystal checks to see if it should pull from it at all. Common core crystals only have a 25% chance of handing you a rare in this case, while rare and legendary cores will always pull from the rare blade pool if at least one rare blade made it in. If multiple rare blades are in the pool at this point, one is chosen randomly, but the chances are weighted according to the rare blades' base possibilities.

This means that if you are hunting for a specific rare blade, do not toss any rares you already have back into the pool! While that increases your chances of finding a rare blade period, it actually hurts your chances of finding a specific rare blade since you are diluting the pool that way. Basically, just suck it up and mill your decks of core crystals if you want a specific blade.

The purpose of the "assure values" got found out. It turns out that they are part of a pity system the game has. The summarized version: If you use up enough core crystals, you are guaranteed to get these blades. The pity blades depend on what column you were assigned. Though 5 of the random rare blades will never be a part of your pity pool. The pity blades are as follows:

quote:

Column 1 Godfrey, Agate, Boreas
Column 2: Perceval, Azami, Adenine
Column 3: Gorg, Perun, Electra
Column 4: Kora, Nim, Finch
Column 5: Vale, Ursula, Floren

No freebies: Dagas, Newt, Zenobia, KOS-MOS, Dahlia

The way the pity system works is that when you open up a core crystal, a number is added to a counter. When the counter reaches 100 points, you are randomly given one of the pity blades, guaranteed (Assuming you don't already have them). Then the counter resets back to 0 and you are given the 2nd pity blade once you reach 200 points. Then the process repeats with the final pity blade being given at 300 points. Common core crystals add 5 points to the counter, rare core crystals add 25 points, and legendary core crystals add 50 points to the counter.

So opening 120 common cores, 24 rare cores, or 12 legendary cores will guarantee that you get at least 3 rare blades if you haven't exhausted your pity pool.

Oh and one more thing. Your luck value in the formula has a minimum value of 1 (so basically if you have 14 or lower luck somehow, it'll get boosted to a certain point, and having 15 or more luck will start boosting it further.)

And that should be it for the rare blade mechanics.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Feb 20, 2018

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Ah, I was a Column 4 pity guy, then.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Ah, I was a Column 4 pity guy, then.

I feel like that was my spread too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Column 5 crew reporting in

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

None of the columns look right for me considering just how much I pulled, but the only one I did get all of the rare blades listed in is 1 so I guess I had column 1

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Column 1 for me. Those are almost exactly the Rare Blades I got first.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Column 3 for me. Which is odd because Boreas was the 2nd to last rare blade I got, even though he has a really high base chance in this case. Guess RNG was being really fickle for some reason.

For the record, this is testable if you aren't sure which column you were assigned, and you're willing to risk not getting a blade back for quite some time. Toss in a blade or all of the ones you think are a part of the column you have back into gacha hell, and you'll get them back if you build up the counter again and they're part of the column that was assigned to you.

If they aren't a part of the column you were assigned, yeah good luck getting them back.

While column 2 does have the lowest overall chances of getting a rare blade at all (Columns 1 and 3 have the highest), they are 3 times more likely to draw Zenobia than the 4 other columns, at the very least.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Feb 20, 2018

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Supposedly Column 1 has the highest chance for Vale, which explains why throughout 150-odd hours of playing I kept seeing her pop up in the rolls just to tease me with those big fiery shoulders but never actually popped :argh:.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I have no idea who big fire shoulders guy is but it's not Vale. Been seeing him basically forever but never got him.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Chronojam posted:

I have no idea who big fire shoulders guy is but it's not Vale. Been seeing him basically forever but never got him.

That's Newt, who is cool and my friend.

I was column 4, though I also have Dagas, KOS-MOS, and Newt, so I guess I got super lucky there.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

I got all of Column 3 but also Dahlia, KOS-MOS and Dagas all quite fast.
Dahlia was actually my second pulled rare. Unfortunately.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was definitely column one because those three were among my earliest blades.

And of course my final four blades I got were KOSMOS, Newt, Dahlia & Zenobia.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

In each of those sets I got one or two early and the other(s) in the set at the very end. Each set seems equally likely to be my pity set. Who the gently caress knows.

Edit: I guess 2 seems a bit more likely

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I have no idea what column I'm in, because I got some dudes from each column early and a few of them way late, as well.

My first Rare was Gorg, iirc. Godfrey, Azami, Finch, Boreas, and Electra all showed up super duper early.

I didn't get Perun, Agate, or Ursula until the rear end end of the game. I guess that leaves... Column 4? That was the only group I completed in any reasonable length of time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that they made a pity system and then went, nah lets not make it so that eventually you can guaranteeably get all the rare blades with this.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I am surprised they haven't patched the Collectapedia back in yet since screenshots reveal it existed at least at one point

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Can they fire the person who made the final Poppi quest please?

Hey you know what we'll do, gate Poppi behind Forestry 5.

And then we'll also gate her behind 90 mins of merc missions.

Genius.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
My first three blades were Perceval, Azami, Adenine in that exact order.

Still got a ton of rares.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

Genius.

If you did a bunch of salvaging its likely you already have 100 items to power her up and skip the merc quest.

Have fun clicking accept 100 times though

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Natural 20 posted:

Genius.

Every quest at that point in the game requires the merc missions. It's infuriating, I hated having to stop part way and find something else in game to do - let me finish what I've started, dammit!

quote:

I am surprised they haven't patched the Collectapedia back in yet since screenshots reveal it existed at least at one point
It's such a strange decision to remove the thing that helps you identify where stuff is at the same time as forcing you to go and harvest it for so many things.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

If you can't pull Forestry 5 trivially by that point then you've been monumentally unlucky or you're being overzealous with getting rid of blades you don't want before you have to from being full.

That said, it falls into the same annoying stupidity of most of the other skill checks that just require you to switch blades around and then right back. I get what they were going for with that but it's an annoying mechanic. There had to be a better way to gate things off for later in the game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

voltcatfish posted:

This and so many other things that pushed people to explore and collect lore in general are completely absent from this game and it's really, really frustrating since there's little to no reward for exploring and in turn most unique areas are empty. Yesterday I spent a good hour and a half simply exploring the lower section of Tantal and instead of being either rewarded for exploring or at the least rewarded with neat, unique areas, I got jack poo poo. The chests I found weren't worth it.

There are so many small things that prior games got right that XC2 for some reason gets rid of:

-Most rewards are locked behind pointless field skill requirements. I genuinely don't understand this one since none of rewards scale accordingly with game progress, and the more difficult chests you open just have more gold or cores. There's no reason to go back to chests you skipped over 50 hours prior outside accumulating more cores.

-Field skill requirements are garbage. They do nothing for the game except impede progress and ultimately are null once you get to the point of summoning 30+ common blades, and at that point shuffling those blades so they're active is a HUGE waste of time. They should've stuck with how field skills can open new areas of the game once you receive certain story blades, kinda like Roc and the miasma. Having field skills add to more items pop out of dig sites works fine since it's a reward system. Being able to open new areas in previous locations via story blades seems like a great way to scale both difficulty and progress.

-Most large areas are devoid of NPCs. XC1 for the most part felt like a populated world where people explored and lived outside their stationary cities. Nopon camps, smaller Homs locations, ether windmills outside Alcamoth, XC1 was teeming with life. Even XCX felt more alive thanks to human/blade camps in each area, and add in the numerous new xeno lifeforms popping up every chapter and both worlds seemed alive. XC2 just seems empty. Fonsett feels deserted, the city the blue elf emperor dude lives has like four citizens. At least Gormott looks and feels alive and populated but seriously, everything feels abandoned. Speaking of, talking to named NPCs is completely pointless in this game. I enjoyed how speaking to named NPCs in prior games had an effect on relationships from an affinity and other NPC standpoint.

-Field items bundled in dig sites makes the areas more bare. Not sure if this was done to free up the teams not having to place blue orbs all over the map but I don't like it. Scaling a snow covered mountain ridge for ice cabbage is a Xenoblade stable god dammit. Not having a collectapedia is a Xenoblade crime.

-Lack of secondary active quests, like "kill x monster", offers less reason to explore. In XC1, the 20 odd quests you'd get from random NPCs asking you to kill x monster or collect x item served as a means to passively reward you for exploring and added to the development of each species. In XC2, there's a lack of both passive quests and...

-...lack of primary, interesting quests. Why are there like four quests per city? Gone are NPCs all over cities with quests for you to take on. I know some people hated having a ton of quests but I liked it since they were both optional and tended to add some neat side story elements. The best part of XCX were the optional side quests that added new aliens to New LA.

Despite all this bitching I am enjoying the game, there just seems to be so much of a lost opportunity on all fronts that it's hard not to be critical of all of it, especially after playing and completing the two prior games. It still sucks that we can't change the look of your outfit through changing equipment but I'm sure that's a huge developmental time sink.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It's a game that makes its macro decisions; plot, characterisation, overall battle system well and then has a bunch of micro decisions; blades, equipment, progression that are awful.

So it's a game that you end up enjoying whilst being infuriated by all the small things it gets wrong.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Louisgod posted:

-Most rewards are locked behind pointless field skill requirements. I genuinely don't understand this one since none of rewards scale accordingly with game progress, and the more difficult chests you open just have more gold or cores. There's no reason to go back to chests you skipped over 50 hours prior outside accumulating more cores.

-Most large areas are devoid of NPCs. XC1 for the most part felt like a populated world where people explored and lived outside their stationary cities. Nopon camps, smaller Homs locations, ether windmills outside Alcamoth, XC1 was teeming with life. Even XCX felt more alive thanks to human/blade camps in each area, and add in the numerous new xeno lifeforms popping up every chapter and both worlds seemed alive. XC2 just seems empty. Fonsett feels deserted, the city the blue elf emperor dude lives has like four citizens. At least Gormott looks and feels alive and populated but seriously, everything feels abandoned. Speaking of, talking to named NPCs is completely pointless in this game. I enjoyed how speaking to named NPCs in prior games had an effect on relationships from an affinity and other NPC standpoint.

I spent ages in a certain Chapter 9 location knocking over signs with Earth tests to get to difficult to reach chests, sometimes pulling things back from Merc missions for it. The rewards were just never ever worth it.
I spent ages talking to NPCs with little stars thinking that it'd do something but it never did.

The worst part of the locations was that you sometimes met people who've lost their settlements or whatever and yet you never see any smashed up places at all.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Natural 20 posted:

It's a game that makes its macro decisions; plot, characterisation, overall battle system well and then has a bunch of micro decisions; blades, equipment, progression that are awful.

So it's a game that you end up enjoying whilst being infuriated by all the small things it gets wrong.

I can get over the small things the game gets wrong IF they didn't already set a precedent with the prior two games since now it comes off as backtracking away from previous success instead of improving on a current system.

Even then, I don't think the game handles its plot or characterizations well and in turn, for me, the deficits stand out more. Speaking of characters, a huge issue is how many loving characters there are on a screen at any given time. I mean jesus christ, I counted ELEVEN characters on screen when the party walked to the core location in the lower section of Tantal before chapter 6 ends, and add in five story enemies in the scene and poo poo gets needlessly convoluted, from both a scripting and narrative standpoint. I can imagine keeping track of 16 different characters on screen at any given time is a cutscene nightmare. It doesn't help that the only character that has any semblance of a personality is Zeke and a lesser extend Nia.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm glad XC2 didn't have 25 MMO quests per area.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Okay, to clear up confusion about how often you get pity blades, it turns out the counter resets to 0 if you get a rare blade at all. The counter just increases from 100 -> 200 -> 300 or so when you get the pity blade. So if you're wondering why it took so long to get all the pity blades, if you drew a rare blade between those times, that would be why.

All the rare blade gacha mechanics got compiled by someone here for easy reference. Some spoilers in there if you haven't gotten through the game.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Louisgod posted:

It doesn't help that the only character that has any semblance of a personality is Zeke and a lesser extend Nia.

Mòrag steals the show in basically every heart-to-heart she features in.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The best character moment and voice acting is when (chapter 5? Or 6?) Morag loses her composure when her brother dies.

I got inside a cool area and I think I'm warming up to the game enough to finish it. I'm sorry I said I regret buying it. I still have a lot of problems. I wish there was a collectopedia, I loved getting a rock called like "black carrot" with the flavor text "reyn thought this was a carrot and ate it"

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

I wish there was a little sketch for each collectible, if only because I want to see drawings of a Dancing Apple and a Dobercorgi. (Yeah those are in the first game and not the second but so what, they were my favorite collectibles)

Edit: Wait I forgot about the Oil Fox, that's also my favorite. "A fox with damp fur. Its misty eyes make it look adorable." I wantr one for my apartment

ajkalan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 21, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Mòrag steals the show in basically every heart-to-heart she features in.

Morag is the best character because she's an adult who acts like a real person and isn't just a caricature or a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Morag is the best character because she's an adult who acts like a real person and isn't just a caricature or a child.

Except around monkfish. No-one stayed dignified around that thing, not even Brighid.