Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

I bought the cheapest of cheap ones there years ago and it still hasn't died, or caught fire. I'm pretty sure you can get $10 coupons for them pretty regularly, or at least you used to be able to. It doesn't have a ton of power but it's been more than fine for cutting sheet metal or bolts when I've used it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Wow, the 1/8" disc hosed those bolts up:

Prob 10min of grinding with a few breaks to check alignment.
One spark flew around my shop glasses and glasses and hit me under the eyebrow, but otherwise stayed safe.

I did get a kick that caused some collateral damage, though :( :

Toast?

Left side where PO had inverted the muffler bracket bolts, allowing that to stay on:

Horrible right side, where I had to unbolt the 3 muffler bracket nuts blind. One of them was one ratchet click at a time:

Anyone have aggressive 996 alignment specs? I'm supposed to get new tires on Sat, but that's all pending me getting the mufflers welded. And that hose taken care of.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

You know the answer to this.

Good work getting it off though!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slidebite posted:

You know the answer to this.

Yup, I wouldn't trust that hose.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yup, I wouldn't trust that hose.

Never trust hose.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I have the right part on the way. Now need to figure out if I can swap it without losing a gallon of coolant. Will it need a bleed?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
No, yes.

For the alignment I'd start with a touch more negative camber up front, like between -1.5 and -2 degrees.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Larrymer posted:

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

I bought the cheapest of cheap ones there years ago and it still hasn't died, or caught fire. I'm pretty sure you can get $10 coupons for them pretty regularly, or at least you used to be able to. It doesn't have a ton of power but it's been more than fine for cutting sheet metal or bolts when I've used it.

They've gotten worse. My ancient one is still kicking. My new version of it has been replaced 4 times, and even the one that 'works' will stop and pour smoke if used for more than about 90 seconds.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I brought the mufflers to the local customs chain, and two of the guys argued over how to do it and how hard it would be. The more enthusiastic guy said he'd set aside time tomorrow to do it instead of having me wait.

The other guy said the bypass wouldn't do poo poo and that if I brought the car over, he could [in the best possible Boston accent] "weld up some pipes that'll make the car sound fuckin nasty." This was also the guy who told me a couple weeks ago to bring just the mufflers cuz the exhaust system was packaged too tightly for them to want to deal with. Well I certainly agree if the car is on the ground. On lift, wheels off? Probably not that bad, given only the moderate rust that I encountered.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
me: the 928 is a great gt, but it’s just way too massive and heavy to be the ideal dd

*modern subcompact pulls up*

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Isn't that the V?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

krysmopompas posted:

me: the 928 is a great gt, but it’s just way too massive and heavy to be the ideal dd

*modern subcompact pulls up*

Haha that's pretty funny

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

kimbo305 posted:

Isn't that the V?
No clue, it was just the most average representative of newer cars that had parked by me in a while that was actually pretty close to the same width & length.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There is a good chance those subcompacts could actually outperform it in more than one or two ways.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

slidebite posted:

There is a good chance those subcompacts could actually outperform it in more than one or two ways.
Of course. It’s probably the slowest car i’ve had in 20 years.

The 928 was built for being really good at going really fast on a highway with 1970s technology, and it’s not very good at much else. But that’s what makes it interesting to drive - at least until you have to stop. Literally everything else is better at stopping.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My dream garage would have amongst it's far cooler contents, a late 928GTS and an E31. I'm a sucker for big heavy GTs.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Bitched about this in the Boston thread first, but:

kimbo305 posted:

Lou's: Lou's Custom
Me: Hi, is Scott [the guy I left my mufflers with on Tuesday and said they'd be ready today] there?
Lou's: Scott? He doesn't work here any more
Me: do you know where my mufflers are?
Lou's: I don't see any around but you can come look

kimbo305 posted:

As I understand it from talking to the people there today, Scott is the chain manager's brother and is mentally ill but got his way thanks to being family. Something went down after I left and he's no longer going to be actively working.
Pipes that sound nahsty guy was still selling those.

The mufflers were unharmed, so I dragged them home but have nothing to show for my work.
No one else wanted to do the weld.

I did fire the car up with mufflers off, but was too chicken to rev it to see how loud it would be.
It's snowing now so I have the bumper back on. Now to stew over what to do.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

kimbo305 posted:

Bitched about this in the Boston thread first, but:

The mufflers were unharmed, so I dragged them home but have nothing to show for my work.
No one else wanted to do the weld.

I did fire the car up with mufflers off, but was too chicken to rev it to see how loud it would be.
It's snowing now so I have the bumper back on. Now to stew over what to do.

Find your local welder school college trade shop and see if they will do it as a change to teach something practical ?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Go find a shop frequented by drifters. They love posting pics of their sick welds and will have no problem doing what you want.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Try any small independent muffler shops? The ones around here literally don't give a gently caress and do anything for next to nothing as long as they get paid.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

How about Scott from beardman? The dude with the purple bike we ran into at NAHBS?

VV Holy poo poo. That's no good at.all. Tell him I'm pulling for him.

glyph fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 23, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

glyph posted:

How about Scott from beardman? The dude with the purple bike we ran into at NAHBS?

Hmm, maybe. After he recovers from his appendectomy! I dunno if NAHBS did him in or if it was already gonna happen.

Jymmybob posted:

Try any small independent muffler shops? The ones around here literally don't give a gently caress and do anything for next to nothing as long as they get paid.

I'm sure the local ones here don't give a gently caress either, but I kinda want it done right and not just scorched through left and right. Wouldn't hurt to call around, I guess.
I'm slightly leaning toward having the straight pipes guy do his thing.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Rolled the car up on ramps and managed to budge off the hose. The nick might have cut some cords, but that thing was still in very good shape. Modern rubber for you. Replacement hose slipped on pretty easily; the expanding hose clips weren't too tricky to deal with, though I used a ratchet clamp instead of channel locks, which are hiding somewhere.

At the angle I was at, I lost 1.25gal. If the capacity is 6gal and I started at 50/50, I'm now at 40/60 after topping off with distilled water. Should be fine for now.
Buttoned the bumper back on and drove to the exhaust shop with nothing after the cats and the reservoir coolant valve open. Temperature was fine; hose looked good and dry upon arrival. So the nicked hose is put to bed, I hope.

Driving around town and on the highway up to 60, the exhaust is pretty loud but honestly not worse than the 348 with the X-pipe custom exhaust.
The only problem is an intense drone at around 2.5k. I'd forgotten I had some coins in the console cubby until they got rattled by the drone.
Stepping on it past 3k does sound really really good though.

At the shop, Nahsty Pipes guy looked at the available space and said there was no way they could put in a muffler or resonator. Another guy did offer to route the pipes straight out.

I'm gonna leave the mufflers off for now. It's not so loud that I'm gonna get pulled over, so I can drive to the tire shop next week to have the PSS mounted while making one last go of finding a place to get the mufflers modified. The one local brake and muffler place that I knew about apparently has closed up shop. I googled "boston drifting" and couldn't find much a scene presence. I asked the guy who did our Lemons cage to see if he had a rec, but haven't heard back.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Temporarily you can grab a set of ebay bypass pipes for ~150 bucks. I almost bought a 996 that had them and it didn't seem too crazy loud so maybe dumping the exhaust fully out the back might knock out some of the drone.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I've had my Boxster (987) for about three years now, and two things I've noticed about having a Porsche:
1) Little kids pointing, saying things like "Wooooow!" and "Dad, when are you going to get a cool car like that?"
2) Every boy-racer in a Golf GTI or salesman in a big Audi A7 thinks I want to race them if I overtake them or accelerate away hard at traffic lights.
3) They're awesome cars and just great fun to drive.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jymmybob posted:

maybe dumping the exhaust fully out the back might knock out some of the drone.

One of the exhaust shop guys said the same thing. I haven't put the exhaust shields back on, which are harder but more textured than the shell of the bumper cover. Wonder which would be worse.

Roll-cage guy said he should be up for it next weekend, so here's hoping. Still, losing 40lbs off the rear of the car does sound tempting.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had to do some moving around of stuff in the garage today, so thought I should actually open the box of brake parts from Rennpart.... even though I doubt I'll be doing the job for a few weeks yet.

Roughly 70lb box that I picked up from my US drop box

Open it up, everything packed nice and tight in it.

Oops

Oh well, all looks fine

Engineered in Germany

But made in China

Future job assembled

All in all, for what I've seen so far I'll give Rennpart pretty high marks for reasonable price and shipping. I won't fault them for Textars questionable packing of their rotors. The cross drill pattern on them does look identical to OEM and I wouldn't be surprised if they are the OEM manufacturer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't know if I've ever seen a rotor box that didn't have at least a hub-shaped indent. They're big-rear end pieces of steel, the box is more to protect everything else in the same package.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, even back in the day when I worked parts rotor boxes were easy to tear up, but this seemed easier than most. Either way, they seem fine so I'm not terribly concerned. Sort of looking forward to tearing into it now. I haven't done a brake job in, no poo poo, 10-15 years.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

New tires on, but the shop spotted torn bushings on both front lower control arms. I can get Beck at $500 or some cheap Autopart International at half. Anyone know about the APIs?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Lemons cage builder came through:
https://imgur.com/a/hLLdO

He took the tips off to grind out the holes. Was extremely surprised to hear the local shop wanted to plasma torch the holes.
On the first muffler, he didn't quite have the clearance to go 360, so ground off a back corner of the tip. Finished with TIG.
Second muffler went easier with foresight.

Put the mufflers back on with new bolts and clamp hardware I ordered and went for a test ride, and goddamn if it doesn't sound great. It's pretty much the PSE with valves open, so I shouldn't be that surprised.
If I had gotten ahold of the cage builder sooner, it would have been so worth it. With the 3 extra trips to the exhaust shop, it was kind of a drag. But that'll be way in the past after a couple more drives. One of the drives can be past the exhaust shop so they can eat crow that "that won't do poo poo."

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

My dream garage would have amongst it's far cooler contents, a late 928GTS and an E31. I'm a sucker for big heavy GTs.

Man, same. I've driven an E31 850CI and it was laughably slow and I almost bought it anyway. Such a great-feeling car. Never driven a 928 but I'd definitely check one out in a heartbeat.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Man, same. I've driven an E31 850CI and it was laughably slow and I almost bought it anyway. Such a great-feeling car. Never driven a 928 but I'd definitely check one out in a heartbeat.

Laughably slow? With a quarter mile of 15s, it's definitely not fast, but it can get it of its own way. Was it a 4-speed auto? Maybe that has taller feeling gears.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

Laughably slow? With a quarter mile of 15s, it's definitely not fast, but it can get it of its own way. Was it a 4-speed auto? Maybe that has taller feeling gears.

Yeah it was the auto. I mean it wasn't like dog-slow, but you'd think something with a big V12 under the hood would be a little faster. I think 0-60 is around 6.9 seconds. For a car that cost 90k, you'd think it would be a little better than that.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Mar 6, 2018

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
0-60 or quarter mile times is not how you measure a gt car imo since what you really want is equal acceleration all the way up to your max cruising speed. Narrow acceleration tests don’t show that.

40-80 should take about as long as 80-120. It’s far less fatiguing to deal with other traffic in terms of relative velocity and not also what gear you’re in. If there’s a steep dropoff past 60, just to game the numbers, then it’s a pretty crappy gt in the real world.

That said, a slushbox 8 series isn’t exactly inspiring these days either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

0-60 or quarter mile times is not how you measure a gt car imo

If there’s a steep dropoff past 60, just to game the numbers, then it’s a pretty crappy gt in the real world.

You can tell whether it runs out of breath by subtracting the 0-60 time from the quarter mile time. 8.5s 60-120 isn't too bad.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

kimbo305 posted:

You can tell whether it runs out of breath by subtracting the 0-60 time from the quarter mile time. 8.5s 60-120 isn't too bad.
Its not just about running out of breath.

Multiple runs, start the quarter mile in increments of 20 mph from a good cruising rpm, no skip shifting, and that’s what i’m getting at.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Installed the B&M short shifter today, but I'm snowed in so didn't test drive it. Instructions were 99% accurate, so didn't have as much trouble as with unmounting the bumper, and the 996 is apparently much easier access compared to the 997. Some PO had definitely been in there before, as a few screws were missing and a couple of minor harnesses unplugged. The cable end ball joint had some damage to the outside, but the ball joint itself was good.

Test shifting it is very encouraging as far as slop reduced.
The bushing shell to shifter housing tolerance was very tight -- had to push firmly with my fingers to get them in.
The bushing to shell clearance is equally tight. There's a tiny bit of play between the shifter axle ends and the bushings.
By far the most play comes from the old (and integrated with the housing) white plastic swing linkage on the left.

The shift lever is bent to the right, same as stock, compensating for the default tilt to the left of the assembly. I momentarily thought about swapping it over, but thought better of it.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it:

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Who says you can't go on a morning cyclocross ride:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DevCore posted: