Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't like Mexican food for a long time because there was a period of about a year as a kid where my family went out to eat at the same mediocre Mexican place almost every single week

Once I got over that fatigue, which took like 15-20 years, Mexican became good again. It's rank it below most east Asian cuisines but it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't mind crisp shell stuff as like a filler in a taco or as just chips but I'm just not a fan of the entire thing being one big chip

Dr Cheeto posted:

Counterpoint: the English exist

English food is good too though. At least, based on everything I've seen from recipes and stuff. It sounds pretty delicious.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Dr Cheeto posted:

you might have me there

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dr Cheeto posted:

They produced fish and chips, if nothing else of note.

But yeah food elitism is dumb.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

americans learned how to make food terrible from our parents, the english

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Without the idea of hard shells we would not have the most authentic Mexican cuisine of all; the Choco Taco.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Internet Kraken posted:

People who are elitist about Mexican food suck. You don't have to go right to the border to get Mexican food that tastes good.

This is true, you can get soft corn taco shells almost anywhere these days.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I prefer hard shells because if I was going to get a soft shell I might as well just get a burrito or fajita instead.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

chumbler posted:

Don't vanillashame.

You know what kind of music they dance to in the Vanilla Dome?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I feel like America has good food, but that's more for just being vast and having a shitload of cultures in it than White People doing anything. Like I feel the South has my favorite food by a mile, I stayed around Atlanta, Savannah, New Orleans for a summer and didn't have a single bad meal.

And I now everyone says their state's the best, but I genuinely feel North Carolina has the best barbecue, but I just like barbecue,

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a restaurant near me which every few months picks a new region in America and does the local regional cuisine of that area, which is such a fantastic concept it's terrible that the restaurant sucks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I would try all of these English foods and probably enjoy them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The US has great food everywhere, it's kind of insane. People focus on the awful American diet but it's actually quite awesome if you're a marathon runner so I hope gigundo portions of everything are here to stay.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a restaurant near me which every few months picks a new region in America and does the local regional cuisine of that area, which is such a fantastic concept it's terrible that the restaurant sucks

can't compete with the min-maxers who put all their points in Southern comfort foods and use NW cuisine as their dump stat

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Pretty sure like three of those are some variation of shepard's pie but hell that's a good dish

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Kite, you left out the pastie

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

I would try all of these English foods and probably enjoy them.

now throw them all in a pot and boil them

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Food elitism is terrible. The real puzzling part is the people that claim Del Taco is better than Taco Bell. Neither are very good but Del Taco is just awful.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I changed my mind my favorite Mexican food is the Sheetz El Gringo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The American lobster is the height of culinary excellence to me so American food is good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'd like to try middle eastern cuisine at some point.

Indian cuisine as well.

Hmm. African cuisine is obviously a thing that exists but what exactly would African cuisine be? I don't know anything about what kinds of food they eat there. In fact, same with South America. I've no clue what kinds of foods and dishes are popular in either continent.

cheetah7071 posted:

There's one about 45 minutes from me that I've been tempted to hit up, they're only open on Fridays and they tend to pick and choose from various areas of the UK or Europe and serve food that you'd find in that area.

It's a shame they're only open on Fridays though. It'd be way more convenient if they were at least open through the whole weekend or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alarumklok posted:

I mean at least it sounds like it's vanilla brony-dom and not any of its even worse variants like Nazi-brony so it could be worse!!!

Is anyone still playing Mario Rabbids? I forgot I owned it and I'm playing through it. What regular team do you use, hypothetical person?

Luigi and mario and whoever. Luigi is a beast

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

James Woods Fan posted:

Food elitism is terrible. The real puzzling part is the people that claim Del Taco is better than Taco Bell. Neither are very good but Del Taco is just awful.

Yeah. I dont have them near me but I was recently in Utah and needed some food at Midnight and literally everything around me was closed except a Del Taco and it is shocking how much worse a place can be than Taco Bell. Like there's no acceptable reason for Taco Bell not to be the absolute bottom rung of Mexican food

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

glam rock hamhock posted:

A good taco shell is basically a tortilla chip you put stuff in, so I don't really see why it's all that different. They are both fried tortillas, just shaped differently.

Like have you people only had lovely store bought ones or Taco Bell?

Conveyance.

A good soft corn taco shell is small enough that you pick up and eat it in one or two bites. Nachos work on the same principle.

A large hard taco shell has to be large enough to hold stuff and thus you run into this problem:

FirstAidKite posted:

I just don't like hard shell tacos because I feel like it negates the point of having a taco. I take one bite and it just starts crumbling and doesn't do a good job of holding the food in.

Also I have never been in a good taco place (I'm not talking about something fancy, I'm talking about dank legit taquerias or food trucks) that serves hard tacos, so it's a huge red flag to me. Honestly I have eaten at dozens, nearly a hundred probably, and I have never seen hard shell tacos outside of lovely store bought ones or Taco Bell/Chipotle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alarumklok posted:

by putting them in my mouth and chewing
think you might need to floss more mate

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Kite, you left out the pastie

poo poo. Well, have a good video on how to make one then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsZCkBH7v2k&t=3s

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

FirstAidKite posted:

Hmm. African cuisine is obviously a thing that exists but what exactly would African cuisine be? I don't know anything about what kinds of food they eat there. In fact, same with South America. I've no clue what kinds of foods and dishes are popular in either continent.

Look up if there's a decent Ethiopian place near you, it's extremely approachable and good.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
^^^ this guy gets it

FirstAidKite posted:

I liked to go to this Ethiopian place from time to time and its amazing. Its like spicy vegetable and meat curries served on a type of flatbread that has a sourdough taste.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sometimes I do wish I lived in Japan just so I could regularly eat good sushi that wasn't expensive at gently caress.

Every restaurant around here charges a premium for sushi excluding one all-you-can-eat place. If you go into a grocery store like Big Y they have a sushi section but one package costs like 13 bucks. Its ridiculous.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Colombian food is fantastic. (disclaimer I love plantains and they use them a bunch)

Also the cuisine of Brazil and Argentina is basically "A bunch of meat" (aka it's heavenly)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Sometimes I do wish I lived in Japan just so I could regularly eat good sushi that wasn't expensive at gently caress.

Every restaurant around here charges a premium for sushi excluding one all-you-can-eat place. If you go into a grocery store like Big Y they have a sushi section but one package costs like 13 bucks. Its ridiculous.

Grocery store sushi is always weirdly expensive and in the rare instance it's not, you will immediately know why it was cheap if you eat it. Like most of the time it's not that much cheaper than just going to an actual sushi place with added thing that it's been sitting for awhile and the rice now sucks because sushi rice does not react well to being chilled.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

I'd like to try middle eastern cuisine at some point.

Indian cuisine as well.

There's one about 45 minutes from me that I've been tempted to hit up, they're only open on Fridays and they tend to pick and choose from various areas of the UK or Europe and serve food that you'd find in that area.

It's a shame they're only open on Fridays though. It'd be way more convenient if they were at least open through the whole weekend or something.

Middle Eastern is kinda overrated (or at least eastern Mediterranean, I haven't had Arabian/Iranian food). Turkish food is very similar to Greek food if you've had that.

Indian is great and if you live in a metro area there's probably multiple Indian places near you. If you don't then I dunno.

Africa is a big place so there's tons of variety. I've had Ethiopian once and don't really remember it. I think Egyptian falls into the eastern Med category and thus is kinda uninspiring. No idea about anywhere else.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

I changed my mind my favorite Mexican food is the Sheetz El Gringo

Fuckin hell I forgot about that thing.

I never got it, no desire to, but I order from their other "mexican" items fairly often.

Shmonster quesaritos, sometimes with double chicken, rice & beans, chili, and tater tots, other times with maple chicken sausage, scrambled eggs, and tater tots. A hellish burrito, a bad burrito, completely stupid, but I love it. I don't get them often so that's my excuse for treating myself when I do get one. Those fuckers are huge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

the best thing about japan is that even the insanely cheap conveyor belt sushi is still pretty solid

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Luigi and mario and whoever. Luigi is a beast

I like his many jumps. It never actually accomplishes anything I couldn't have just walked to and single hopped but it makes me feel like a tactical badass

Endorph posted:

think you might need to floss more mate

nah they just need to stop making hard shell tacos out of glass shards

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish veggie sushi took up a greater proportion of the menu at sushi places. I love the rice/seaweed form factor but can't stand raw fish and at Japanese places around here that means there's only like 3-5 menu items I'll like. I'm not so hot on non-sushi Japanese food either, except miso soup, which is the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alarumklok posted:

where the heck are you buying your hard shell tacos

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Colombian food is fantastic. (disclaimer I love plantains and they use them a bunch)

Also the cuisine of Brazil and Argentina is basically "A bunch of meat" (aka it's heavenly)

I have a bunch of Brazilian places near me. I don't go often for obvious reasons. The one I like has food 50% after 9pm because they obviously rather not have any leftover skewers of meat over their fires at closing.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alarumklok posted:

I like his many jumps. It never actually accomplishes anything I couldn't have just walked to and single hopped but it makes me feel like a tactical badass

There are parts of the game where they seem to have not considered how easily luigi breaks the intended path with his jumps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

where the heck are you buying your hard shell tacos

22nd layer of hell. the local places suckkkkkkk

• Locked thread