Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Doom gyro aiming probably going to be the same as Skyrim gyro bow aiming, which feels pretty good. Took me a while to get used to rotating the joycon for L/R movement but now it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsar Mikey
Nov 30, 2005

When will then be now?

Feenix posted:

Skull & Co’s [previously available only on Kickstarter] Gripcase is now available in Amazon for 49 bucks (with your choice if back grip colors). It comes with a very nice, very spacious case.

I like how it feels. It’s good in my bigger hands. It’s supposed to fit in the dock while remaining on, but some docks are tighter due to a slight inward angle of the front piece. (Of which they have a tutorial fix.)

I really like it.

Skull & Co. GripCase Set: A Comfortable Protective Case with Replaceable Grips [to fit all hands sizes] for Nintendo Switch - Neon Red & Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078WHH1KR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Pf6IAbA3V3D6F

I just got mine last week, and I will agree with this completely with one caveat:

I had to do some minor trimming with a razor on the power button and L/R button areas to get them to feel more responsive. The power button would press when using the volume down and the L/R buttons would stick slightly. After trimming, it feels great.

Other than that, it's been a game changer for me. I didn't play handheld much because before it always gave me cramps in my wrists after about 45 minutes. With this case, I can play for hours and not have any soreness or cramping. It's great and it almost feels like a Pro Controller that's spread out in the middle. The case they give you with it is also very nice and spacious. Docking is a little bit tighter than without, but works without any issues for me.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is that guro aiming good enough for the challenge rooms or whatever they were called?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Here's what's out on Switch today.

Old Man's Journey - $9.99 / £8.99 / €9.99 (Feb 20)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Old Man's Journey, a soul-searching puzzle adventure, tells a story of life, loss, reconciliation, and hope. Entrenched in a beautifully sunkissed and handcrafted world, embark on a heartfelt journey interwoven with lighthearted and pressure-free puzzle solving.

A visual narrative about life's precious moments, broken dreams, and changed plans, uncover stories of the old man's life told through beautiful vignettes of his memories. Interacting with the serene and whimsical environment, solve playful puzzles by shaping the landscape, growing the hills to create the old man's path forward.

During this compact gameplay experience, you'll be transported to a vibrant and wishful world, exploring life's complexities through the old man's eyes. Meditatively delightful and reflective, Old Man's Journey invites you to immerse yourself in quiet and inquisitive puzzles, and experience the old man's heartache, regret, and hope.

Pool - $9.99 / £7.19 / €7.99 (Feb 20)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
An easy-to-play Pool game for all ages. Play against another person (two-player) or against the computer, and rediscover the fun and excitement of this classic arcade game.

Puzzle Puppers - $4.99 / £4.49 / €4.99 (Feb 20)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Puzzle Puppers is a puzzle game about stretching cute dogs to their food bowls. Easy to learn, difficult to master, with deceptively simple puzzles and mechanics.

Contains 80 levels with a challenge for all skill levels, ranging from casual puzzle player to the most hardcore puzzle fans.

Who's a good boy? You are! Yes you are!
  • Bonus Hams – collect all of these and you’ll unlock special levels!
  • Holes – like portals that teleport the dog elsewhere in the level
  • Rivers – swim with caution, they wash your doggos downstream!
  • Multiple food bowls – so many choices, but which one is the right one?

Space Dave - $9.99 / £7.19 / €7.99 (Jan 25 NA / Feb 20 EU)
Digital - [NA] [EU]
Space Dave!, the spiritual successor to the hit game Woah Dave!, is a modern take on the fixed shooters of yesteryear. Defend your ground against the alien onslaught! Protect your terrain from their endless arsenal of weapons!

Taking a page from classic arcade games, Space Dave! offers a seemingly infinite variety of weird and challenging alien types with varying attack patterns. If you manage to stay alive, you just might be able to build up your arsenal and collect enough power-ups to turn the tides against your would-be alien captors. That is, until the bosses show up…

And don't let its retro appearance fool you: Space Dave! is a modern game for the modern weirdo, with features such as...

• Local two-player coop!
  • Leaderboards to prove once and for all who among your friends is the superior Dave!
  • A multitude of power-ups! Put an end to the alien invasion in style!
  • Much-needed answers to the many questions surrounding the mysterious Dave.
  • Eight playable characters, a few of which you may recognize...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Oh cool Gyro aiming. I'm not super into FPS's but if Doom's that good if ever it goes on a nice sale I may just pick it up.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Oh cool Gyro aiming. I'm not super into FPS's but if Doom's that good if ever it goes on a nice sale I may just pick it up.

Doom is the best FPS...

yeah, actually that's the end of that sentence. Its the peak of the genre, as far as I'm concerned. Its just raw fun.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fitzy Fitz posted:

How does anyone actually play anything with gyro aiming? It's always really bad and jerky when I try.

Agreed. I don't like it with a controller or split joy cons, it just doesn't feel near as consistent. I've only tried it in BotW though.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 20, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Doom 2016 is ok it plays more like painkiller with finishers than doom imo and hell is boring

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Real hurthling! posted:

Doom 2016 is ok it plays more like painkiller with finishers than doom imo and hell is boring

Painkiller was awesome though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Kinda wishing I had gone with doom instead of Bayonetta now that this update came out, shooters are much more up my alley than combo based brawlers. And I hear it even ups the resolution in some areas, sounds like a primo patch

Oh well, still enjoying Bayonetta. Currently on chapter 5 and had my first encounter with the fabled Glory and Grace pair everyone seems to hate. Yeah it seems like they're going to over use this enemy match up just from what I've seen so far but I can't say they give me much trouble, if any. I'm on normal but yeah a few witch time combos wrecks one fairly easily and dodging their attacks doesn't seem too bad even in tandem. Fortitudo on the other hand took multiple attempts even though people say he's easy...

The platforming hazards and qte stuff can gently caress right off though

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 20, 2018

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I want an HD remake of Painkiller. My favorite FPS.

Oh, what's this Doom thing?

Oh.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm glad Bethesda/id/Panic Button listened and added gyro aiming to Doom. I already have it and beat it on PC, but I'll double-dip if it ever gets down to about half price.

If you haven't played the new Doom yet: get it and play it right now jesus christ

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I used gyro aiming for Resident Evil 4 with the Steam controller and :swoon: It's just so goddamned good. It's only applicable (in my setup, at least) when the aiming trigger is held down, so it doesn't get it the way when you're running around or doing literally anything else, but I've finally found the One True Definitive Control Scheme for the game that beats the poo poo out of the Wii version (especially since it's HD).

Every first-person game needs a gyro aiming option. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am absolutely starting a new game for the gyro controls.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:yeah:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Celeste with gyro controls. :getin:

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I forgot that Bayonetta actually has a boss fight with multiple insta kill QTEs. I wish they would've taken these out.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I actually wish Bayonetta introduced a quick restart on the pause menu or a one hit death mode. I'm far from a master at these games, but I've found that I perform better when I'm down to one hit left.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress lumen sage fight V2. His stupid attacks are like unreasonably hard to dodge

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

:yeah:

I have too much else on my plate to get Doom right now but gyro aiming is a potential deal-maker for me. I love gyro aiming.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I don't even like gyro aiming and that announcement has made me more likely to get it.

If I stumble across a used physical copy in the wild it's game over, man. (For the demons.)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Bayonetta is cool and good and I really enjoy it on the Nintendo Switch. Had a short flight this afternoon that let me play just a smidgen of the introductory parts of Bayonetta 1 and it was super enjoyable.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Working my way through Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode and holy poo poo, I do not have the wrist strength of my single young self from 9 years ago. Thank God you can skip the Jeanne battles for mostly last but gottdamn. I need to remove the Witch-Time on damage eventually but it has helped shake SOME of the rust off.

I had forgotten that while you can cruise through Normal mashing buttons, the ramp up in later difficulties reminds you that you should be patient and using combos, not just hammering the punch.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

:emptyquote:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I read there is some dodge mechanic in bayonetta outside of just dodging

someone help me out here

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tried Doom gyro and it works amazingly. The audio hitching issue seems to be gone as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wish Bayonetta 1 and 2 had a unified control scheme on Switch. Having the Lock-on and dodge button on the same side of the shoulders hurts my wrists but then going to Bayonetta 2 I keep loving up and switching weapons instead of locking on.
Better yet, just let me rebind all the buttons like in DMC4 or Nier Automata

Policenaut posted:

The later Sengoku BASARAs are a wonderful crossbreed of Musou and Character Action. Easily put 300+ hours into SB3 on PS3 and would put it over anything in the bottom 5 on that list.

This is an old post but what makes Sengoku Basara feel more like an action game than Dynasty Warriors? Legit curious because I never played one of those.

I used gyro aiming for Resident Evil 4 with the Steam controller and :swoon: It's just so goddamned good. It's only applicable (in my setup, at least) when the aiming trigger is held down, so it doesn't get it the way when you're running around or doing literally anything else, but I've finally found the One True Definitive Control Scheme for the game that beats the poo poo out of the Wii version (especially since it's HD).

I feel like Gyro Aiming would make RE4 way too easy. It's one of those games that feels explicitly tuned to a controller, where aiming is supposed to be a bit difficult.

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 20, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rolo posted:

Painkiller was awesome though.

Agreed more awesome than doom

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

eonwe posted:

someone help me out here

If you have the ability you can turn into a squad of bats.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Augus posted:

I feel like Gyro Aiming would make RE4 way too easy. It's one of those games that feels explicitly tuned to a controller, where aiming is supposed to be a bit difficult.

Yeah. I always want to replay that game, but nothing comes close to the very first time I ever encountered the village and the doctor, and the whole nightmare began. Just running through that town being stabbed, shooting to the last bullet, and being saved by the bell at the last second, the chainsaw guy bearing down on me and then leaving. That was an amazing gaming experience.

No other time came close, since I had killed how many chainsaw maniacs by that point that I was no longer impressed by them. I would later go on to know that town's layout far too well and all the spots with items from playing it so much.

It's like BotW. I'll never get that first time back. But that's what makes the best games the best games I suppose.

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. I always want to replay that game, but nothing comes close to the very first time I ever encountered the village and the doctor, and the whole nightmare began. Just running through that town being stabbed, shooting to the last bullet, and being saved by the bell at the last second, the chainsaw guy bearing down on me and then leaving. That was an amazing gaming experience.

No other time came close, since I had killed how many chainsaw maniacs by that point that I was no longer impressed by them. I would later go on to know that town's layout far too well and all the spots with items from playing it so much.

It's like BotW. I'll never get that first time back. But that's what makes the best games the best games I suppose.

RWii4 is the reason I've replayed RE4 10+ times instead of just 4 or 5
Had some friends over when I first got it and was showing off the village and didn't take a single hit + even slapped away a few flying hatchets with my knife

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

TheComicFiend posted:

RWii4 is the reason I've replayed RE4 10+ times instead of just 4 or 5
Had some friends over when I first got it and was showing off the village and didn't take a single hit + even slapped away a few flying hatchets with my knife

It was super-cool to get that good making Kennedy the bad-rear end he's supposed to be, and yet I loved just sucking at everything the first time around.

The village still feels like one of the peak areas of that game. It doesn't necessarily go down-hill but it's hard to match it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The highlight for me in RE4 has always been the castle. The chanting the guys do there always creeps me out.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Running into your first chainsaw guy in RE4 was goddamn amazing. Especially since he had a habit of showing up right behind you as you were distracted by the shotgun on the wall.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

^burtle posted:

If you have the ability you can turn into a squad of bats.

Prior to that though, the beast within story upgrade just lets you dodge faster as a cat.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I am completely baffled by the two-headed dragon fight.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

eonwe posted:

someone help me out here

You could be thinking of Dodge Offset. If you're holding down an attack button to keep shooting bullets after a punch or kick, and dodge while doing that, you'll keep shooting while you dodge, and it won't interrupt your combo. This also works with some melee weapons, I don't think it works with the sword in Bayo 1, because of how it changes the effects of holding down the punch button.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Looks like they may have fixed some of this games shittiness

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/966033929441484800?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E0

Most important

quote:

Spawn Frequency of Bats, Rats, and Spiders re-balanced

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Toaster Beef posted:

Running into your first chainsaw guy in RE4 was goddamn amazing. Especially since he had a habit of showing up right behind you as you were distracted by the shotgun on the wall.

He killed me the first time and I was totally shocked how violent it was. RE4 still has the best collection of death scenes of any game.

• Locked thread