Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Weirdly, the game already sort of has some sort of silent cache. If you pick up a time capsule and don't have room for it, stuff isn't ejected on the ground. It's held in some ethereal space until you free up inventory and then it just appears there again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ambaire posted:

HexiDave, is it possible to make it so when I try to pick up an item and my inventory is full, that item is shuffled into the nearest inventory with free slots?

Also, your mod runs great now yay - except that whenever I enter one of my bases (but not the lifepod) I'm still swimming? I don't lose oxygen or anything but I'm floating around like I'm on the ISS or something. Anyone else seen this?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Section Z posted:

The prawn is one of the easiest things in the game to unlock... So long as you have foreknowledge that is, which of course causes the sort of responses you'd expect from this fanbase.

Or if you just, you know, explore the Aurora. It's not exactly hard to find the Prawn Bay.

I managed it without looking it up beforehand.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bhodi posted:

Weirdly, the game already sort of has some sort of silent cache. If you pick up a time capsule and don't have room for it, stuff isn't ejected on the ground. It's held in some ethereal space until you free up inventory and then it just appears there again.

the stillsuit does that too if you're out of room for pisswater

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I've had my base running happily on nuclear power for quite a while but have never seen that brought up as being a good power source in discussion. Is there some sort of downside to it or did is it generally more if a late game deal that I happened to luck into early on?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Bioreactors and Thermals are just both easier to use and run off renewables. A single exterior growbed or fish containment can sustain power forever and the thermals are obvious.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Pendent posted:

I've had my base running happily on nuclear power for quite a while but have never seen that brought up as being a good power source in discussion. Is there some sort of downside to it or did is it generally more if a late game deal that I happened to luck into early on?
it's supposed to be "late game" yeah, the biggest problem is that if you get it early you miss out on the bioreactor and thermal reactor radio message beacons because you never need to build them.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
There are complete prawn suits in some of the wrecks as well, the aurora isnt the only place to find them. And unlike the fragments I dont think they are random.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Or <horror>let inventory items stack.</horror>

It would definitely 'break' the inventory tetris side of the game but if someone finds a way to hack that into the game, it would be amazing.

HexiDave, is it possible to make it so when I try to pick up an item and my inventory is full, that item is shuffled into the nearest inventory with free slots?

Stacking would require a pretty hefty rewrite, but expanding the inventory sizes or automatically shuffling into the closest inventory would be easy. I'm gonna be building an installer today so people can avoid the security bugs, but I can add that, too.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Also, your mod runs great now yay - except that whenever I enter one of my bases (but not the lifepod) I'm still swimming? I don't lose oxygen or anything but I'm floating around like I'm on the ISS or something. Anyone else seen this?

That's bizarre - I haven't seen that yet. As far as I know, my code doesn't change anything that should affect that. Generally with that kind of weirdness, it's because there was an error that didn't get caught and Unity just blew it off. Next time it happens, check the Subnautica_Data/ folder for output_log.txt for any unhandled exception messages.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HexiDave posted:

Stacking would require a pretty hefty rewrite, but expanding the inventory sizes or automatically shuffling into the closest inventory would be easy. I'm gonna be building an installer today so people can avoid the security bugs, but I can add that, too.

Can you link to your mods?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I have a link handy:

https://github.com/HexiDave/SubnauticaMods/releases

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh poo poo, the pull from containers mod sounds amazing!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Bhodi posted:

it's supposed to be "late game" yeah, the biggest problem is that if you get it early you miss out on the bioreactor and thermal reactor radio message beacons because you never need to build them.

It's also the most 'expensive' power source in that it's non-renewable and each rod takes titanium and glass to make.

The titanium is no big but glass is pretty valuable if you like windows (and everyone loves windows.)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I figure nuclear reactors might be good for outposts where no renewables are around but you could just make a bioreactor in that case. I can't think of any location that lacks thermal power or a source of biofuel.

Question: Is there anywhere you can get alien containment other than the final Degasi outpost?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Nuclear reactors dont take much material and last for a good long while in most bases. Better than babysitting power imo, and usually easy enough to grab a titanium and two quartz for them while you are out.

Solar and thermal are both still better though.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I was dicking around building a base and I completely forgot to go to the Sunbeam landing site.

Did I miss some major plot points by not going there?

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Oooh, gosh, the cuddlefish is so cute. I'm not going to get much done between my tank of peepers and rabbit rays and cuddlebuddy.

Edit: Wait, I can't pick up the cuddlefish? How can I keep him safe?

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 21, 2018

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Bedshaped posted:

I was dicking around building a base and I completely forgot to go to the Sunbeam landing site.

Did I miss some major plot points by not going there?

No.

The sunbeam gets show down by the same planet quarantine that brings the aurora down

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sloober posted:

the stillsuit does that too if you're out of room for pisswater

I didn't know about this until now, that's interesting. I bet it does that for recipes that take up a larger volume than their ingredients like bleach -> 2x disinfected water but I specifically made sure not to give it a try when I first took note of it because I wasn't willing to trust that the game wouldn't explode if I did that.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

My seabase isn’t quite done and I probably need to go on another monstrous run for titanium and quartz, but in a fit of inspiration I ran a verrrrrrry long tunnel all the way from the main complex (grassy plateaus, near a wreck and a lifepod) to the Jellyshroom Caves entrance, then a verrrrrrrrrry long series of vertical connectors all the way down into the cave with a short glass tunnel and an observatory at the end. I call it my meditation room.

I have this fantasy of setting up the whole thing, leaving four nuclear reactor rods in the reactor, and then leaving, and years or decades later someone else lands on the planet and finds my base. They’d be set for life! Also it has tons and tons of spare crystallized sulfur, nickel and kyanite.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I keep seeing people saying you have to bring the propulsion cannon to the Aurora to get past the stack of boxes, but I just jumped over them?

You have to get a running start off of a nearby box, but you can deffo jump them

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My biggest complaint is where the multipurpose room is. I explored the lost river before I got to it. Had to completely redo my mother base :argh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
At the start of my new run I dove down to the jellycave habitat just to get it. You should really just start with it. Not like you can do anything with it that you can't do with a hallway anyways.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Asproigerosis posted:

My biggest complaint is where the multipurpose room is. I explored the lost river before I got to it. Had to completely redo my mother base :argh:

You get like... two different plotlines to go to where they are, and three different regions that have them! How did you miss them for so long?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My seabase isn’t quite done and I probably need to go on another monstrous run for titanium and quartz, but in a fit of inspiration I ran a verrrrrrry long tunnel all the way from the main complex (grassy plateaus, near a wreck and a lifepod) to the Jellyshroom Caves entrance, then a verrrrrrrrrry long series of vertical connectors all the way down into the cave with a short glass tunnel and an observatory at the end. I call it my meditation room.

I have this fantasy of setting up the whole thing, leaving four nuclear reactor rods in the reactor, and then leaving, and years or decades later someone else lands on the planet and finds my base. They’d be set for life! Also it has tons and tons of spare crystallized sulfur, nickel and kyanite.

How long did it take you to go back and forth refilling your inventory with titanium and glass?

Running long-rear end tunnels out to points of interest is a neat idea, though.

GlyphGryph posted:

You get like... two different plotlines to go to where they are, and three different regions that have them! How did you miss them for so long?

I had similar issues, I didn't find the multi-purpose room til later and for a while my home base was a couple of tunnel segments with a bunch of lockers jammed in.

Has anyone explored how far out you can go in a given direction? Are there hard boundaries or what?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

resting bort face posted:

I keep seeing people saying you have to bring the propulsion cannon to the Aurora to get past the stack of boxes, but I just jumped over them?

You have to get a running start off of a nearby box, but you can deffo jump them

That gun is a fun way to deal with all the spiders crowding around the entrance (by launching them across the ocean)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Oh poo poo, the pull from containers mod sounds amazing!
It is wonderful and delivers probably the biggest impact on quality of life that a simple mod could.

The one downside I've noticed is it's really easy to inadvertently cook and/or cure the fish in your aquariums, because they count as inventories to your nearby fabricators. Working as intended but also potentially mildly tragic in a sort of funny way.

The extended quickbar mod is really nice too. Between those two things almost all the tedious inventory shuffling goes away unless you're out harvesting materials, in which case it's still somewhat of a core game mechanic.

Has anyone explored how far out you can go in a given direction? Are there hard boundaries or what?
http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Zone

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

If you go too far there is only the abyss and Leviathans.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

wolrah posted:

It is wonderful and delivers probably the biggest impact on quality of life that a simple mod could.

The one downside I've noticed is it's really easy to inadvertently cook and/or cure the fish in your aquariums, because they count as inventories to your nearby fabricators. Working as intended but also potentially mildly tragic in a sort of funny way.

The extended quickbar mod is really nice too. Between those two things almost all the tedious inventory shuffling goes away unless you're out harvesting materials, in which case it's still somewhat of a core game mechanic.

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Zone

This caused me to check the wiki entries on a few areas and creatures and holy gently caress, I've spent like 8 hours in this game and have probably seen like 1% of the biomes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are the jelly caves the only place you can get magnetite?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

no but it's as good a place as any, really

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Internet Kraken posted:

It's the best early-mid game place to get them. The mountains have reapers and lost river requires either base hopping or the prawn suit/cyclops

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Away all Goats posted:

It's the best early-mid game place to get them. The mountains have reapers and lost river requires either base hopping or the prawn suit/cyclops

And the Lost River has a whole lot of other things in it while the Jellyshroom caves pretty much just have magnetite and lithium in it with a few deposits of gold here and there.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

wolrah posted:

This is a hilarious oversight - I'll add a filter to keep aquariums/alien containment "inventories" out of the pulling code.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I thoroughly explored the jelly caves in my last run but they still unnerve me more than most other places. Crabsnakes are sneaky bastards that attack when you least expect. They don't loudly broadcast attacks like pretty much every other predator. Well I guess they might but its hard to tell because they are always making horrid shrieking noises.

Also apparently this can happen: https://clips.twitch.tv/SnappyDullCheesecakeMoreCowbell

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

HexiDave posted:

This is a hilarious oversight - I'll add a filter to keep aquariums/alien containment "inventories" out of the pulling code.

It will also pull creep vine seed clusters from nearby plants automatically when you make lube. It's super handy, please don't remove that function :P Or make two versions.

Thank you so much for your mods, they really really improve the game a lot for me.

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Dunno-Lars posted:

It will also pull creep vine seed clusters from nearby plants automatically when you make lube. It's super handy, please don't remove that function :P Or make two versions.

Thank you so much for your mods, they really really improve the game a lot for me.

I'm gonna experiment with a settings file for mods, so I should be able to have toggles for these things.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Is there any use for the radiation suit after you've fixed the Aurora's reactor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Afriscipio posted:

Is there any use for the radiation suit after you've fixed the Aurora's reactor?

The radiation will take a few in-game days to subside but after that you can ditch it.