Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

big trivia FAIL posted:

goon face blindness strikes again

I had this same problem and find it strange when goons start talking about face blindness with this. Can't think of anything that really separates them physically besides Wahlberg have slightly darker hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Their faces look different, for one. Different hairstyles, thematically they hold very different roles, there'd be no reason for two of them to be on screen at anytime except for the very obvious climax since the whole movie focuses around those two trying to find each other.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gaunab posted:

I had this same problem and find it strange when goons start talking about face blindness with this. Can't think of anything that really separates them physically besides Wahlberg have slightly darker hair.

Their faces don't look similar. Do you think Lawrence Fishburne and Samuel L. Jackson look the same?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ryonguy posted:

I blame the X-FIles for creating the "story arc" syndrome of modern primetime tv drama. It's good, but only if done well.

X-Files did it first but I feel like Lost was a bigger culprit because, whereas X-Files had its monster of the week episodes, just about every episode of Lost came off as though it was ostensibly supposed to contribute to the overarching storyline.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I get Mark Wahlberg confused with Samuel L Jackson all the time. :confused:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mu Zeta posted:

Their faces don't look similar. Do you think Lawrence Fishburne and Samuel L. Jackson look the same?

I mean, have you ever seen Laurence Fishburne and Samuel L. Jackson in the same room? :tinfoil:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And Hill Street Blues had story arcs. X-Files didn't invent telling an episodic story.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THe closest thing I ever had to face blindness was Anne Hathaway, but only because I'd never actually seen her at the time, only seen her name on posters. Due to her name i'd assumed that she was an old actress, like Maggie Smith old because her name was old-fashioned, then I saw her and realised she's about my age and is just named after Shakespeare's wife.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Wheat Loaf posted:

X-Files did it first but I feel like Lost was a bigger culprit because, whereas X-Files had its monster of the week episodes, just about every episode of Lost came off as though it was ostensibly supposed to contribute to the overarching storyline.

I'm also reminded of Heroes, where every end of episode teaser would just about imply that the entire plot and every dangling mystery would finally be resolved next week. Make sure you tune in!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I'm the honkiest-rear end cracker that ever was and for years I did not understand that Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg are different people, thanks for reading

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

John Murdoch posted:

I'm also reminded of Heroes, where every end of episode teaser would just about imply that the entire plot and every dangling mystery would finally be resolved next week. Make sure you tune in!

Heroes could just never let go of Ali Larter's characters. I think her original character had something like four identical twin sisters and/or cousins by the end of it. :v:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was really weird how they kept killing her character off and then bringing her back.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

World War Mammories posted:

I'm the honkiest-rear end cracker that ever was and for years I did not understand that Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg are different people, thanks for reading

To be fair to you, there's a running gag in the weird Netflix season of Arrested Development based around this.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I lost a bet over this and had to buy dinner for two of my friends.

For future reference, The Social Network did NOT star Michael Cera. :sigh:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

trickybiscuits posted:

I find it really delightful and hilarious that people literally can't tell white man apart in movies.

Apparently my eyes are another thing that didn't age well :smith:

I dunno, I think they're similar enough looking that if you weren't paying attention you could get them mixed up. FWIW I can look at them now and see that they are three distinct people, but it's like my brain tries to categorize similarities before differences. It was also one of those movies your dumb high school boyfriend puts on and you don't really want to watch it and the entire time you're worried his mom is going to come downstairs and see you giving him a handy so maybe I wasn't really giving it my all

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
DiCaprio is easily distinguishable, Damon and Wahlberg are the same person

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dexie posted:

I lost a bet over this and had to buy dinner for two of my friends.

For future reference, The Social Network did NOT star Michael Cera. :sigh:

Wait, what?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Solice Kirsk posted:

And Hill Street Blues had story arcs. X-Files didn't invent telling an episodic story.

Story arcs are one thing, the kind of deep serialized mythology slowly doled out while trying to convey the impression that the creators know the answers to the questions they're raising is another.

And patient zero is Twin Peaks. (Partial credit for The Prisoner.)

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

This but Jesse Eisenberg and Andy Samberg.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Mu Zeta posted:

No. They don't have the same build, hair, skin tone or accent. You can't tell me that Hollywood doesn't go after a type of white person every now and then.

If it helps you get over the fact that I found them all similar, I didn't really like The Departed.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gaunab posted:

If it helps you get over the fact that I found them all similar, I didn't really like The Departed.

Well it explains why you found them similar, but now I'm going to have to question your taste in movies. :colbert:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Gaunab posted:

You can't tell me that Hollywood doesn't go after a type of white person every now and then.

https://twitter.com/redazarath/status/629191889686695936

https://twitter.com/keithcalder/status/861329168377593857

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Actually after a quick check on imdb, I'm pretty sure I've never watched a movie that had Mark Wahlberg in it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Gaunab posted:

You can't tell me that Hollywood doesn't go after a type of white person every now and then.

A lot of actresses have the exact same nose (job). It becomes pretty noticeable when you (I) binge watch procedural tv shows and the same-looking actress shows up to play a one-off character 6 times a season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Olive! posted:

Actually after a quick check on imdb, I'm pretty sure I've never watched a movie that had Mark Wahlberg in it

Wacth The Departed. It's good. Or if crime dramas aren't your thing then check out.........Ted, I guess? Maybe Daddy's Home.

Not gonna lie, I only liked him in crime dramas.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wacth The Departed. It's good. Or if crime dramas aren't your thing then check out.........Ted, I guess? Maybe Daddy's Home.

Not gonna lie, I only liked him in crime dramas.

the fighter and pain and gain are both real good, boogie nights and basketball diaries are incredible.

how have y'all never seen boogie nights or basketball diaries

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Best Mark Wahlberg movie is The Other Guys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

big trivia FAIL posted:

the fighter and pain and gain are both real good, boogie nights and basketball diaries are incredible.

how have y'all never seen boogie nights or basketball diaries

Holy poo poo he was in Basketball Diaries! I didn't even remember that. Yeah, that was a good one too. But DiCaprio is in that too, so you may not be able to tell them apart.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
No love for The Italian Job?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

FELD1 posted:

No love for The Italian Job?

covered under "crime dramas"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:lost: was a phenomenal ride, regardless of how you feel about the ending. I'm about ready to watch it again.

I've also noticed that many of the people who publicly bitch about it either didn't actually watch it or didn't pay much attention (or are very dumb)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

bamhand posted:

Not so much an aging thing as having a different audience thing.

I was watching Stan Lee's Lucky Man and the main character is a cop that punches a suspect during interrogation. In the US you probably wouldn't think twice about that scene but since the show is British they made a huge deal about it and his colleagues were warning him that the entire case could be thrown out.

They also had some kind of weird recusal thing where a cop said he couldn't investigate a case because he knows the suspect? Is that a thing in the UK? He said because they both attended the same Gambler's Anonymous meeting he can't investigate her.

I'm pretty sure punching a suspect can gently caress things up in the US too, which is why the Wire has that great scene where they tear up a mouthy suspect's mugshot and then beat him up.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I thought Seth Rogen was just a Jonah Hill that aged very badly but apparently I wasn't the only one because that's an actual gag in 22 Jump Street.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I'm pretty sure punching a suspect can gently caress things up in the US too, which is why the Wire has that great scene where they tear up a mouthy suspect's mugshot and then beat him up.

I mean like in movies and TV shows. No one bats an eye. And honestly the actual police in the US have tazed people strapped to a chair to death. It was refreshing seeing police with some basic dignity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Bloop posted:

:lost: was a phenomenal ride, regardless of how you feel about the ending. I'm about ready to watch it again.

I've also noticed that many of the people who publicly bitch about it either didn't actually watch it or didn't pay much attention (or are very dumb)

I watched and paid a shitload of attention and was rewarded with nothing but bullshit. They answered the mystery about the Numbers in an ARG that never got explained on the show. gently caress that poo poo.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Olive! posted:

The Happening was pretty good.

"It's the trees."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What?

No!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Samuringa posted:

I thought Seth Rogen was just a Jonah Hill that aged very badly but apparently I wasn't the only one because that's an actual gag in 22 Jump Street.

iirc this was what they had in mind for superbad way back when since rogan wrote jonah's character based partly on himself but he looked waaaay too old to play a highschool student, jonah fit the bill perfectly despite being only a year younger

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

bamhand posted:

I mean like in movies and TV shows. No one bats an eye. And honestly the actual police in the US have tazed people strapped to a chair to death. It was refreshing seeing police with some basic dignity.

I'd recommend giving Miami Vice a try. It was pretty good about this sort of thing, down to Crockett roughing up cops that would brag about beating up suspects during interrogation.

As good as I remember the police work being representes on that show though, I have a feeling there are probably some racial stereotypes that have not aged well at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Given all The Departed talk recently.

Don't watch The Departed. Watch Infernal Affairs, (80s or 90s Hong Kong movie) instead. It's the same film, Scorcese shamelessly stole everything from it. Literally everything. Much in the way A Fistful of Dollars is an unauthorised remake of Yojimbo.

Sure, The Departed is a slightly better film, but if you watch Infernal Affairs, you get to be smug and pretentious about movies. Which is a thing I enjoy being from time to time.