Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
all hail good french onion soup, quite possibly my favorite soup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I want to become a patissier now, I'm in awe

https://www.reddit.com/user/kseniapenkina/submitted/

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
My last French onion soup was the worst I've ever had in my life. Well, that's my story.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Post avatar combo so good.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

The trick, apparently, is to use mostly gruyere with a little mozzarella, but NOT SHREDDED - sliced paper thin. I have NO loving clue how they sliced gruyere and especially mozzarella that thinly without freezing it first - like seriously you could have read a newspaper through the individual slices - and freezing it would have destroyed the texture.

Unless they're using fresh mozz, both are firm enough you should be able to shave em on a deli slicer.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I just gave my son (6) some gruyere. He flexed his biceps and said “Nice and strong!”

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I learned something about myself today.

I can tolerate bleu cheese. Or at least I can tolerate it in buffalo wing dipping sauce.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

bleu cheese is the only acceptable dipping sauce for wings and I will smack ranch off the table.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

bleu cheese is the only acceptable dipping sauce for wings and I will smack ranch off the table.

Korean fried

Pok-Pok

Momofuku

These would all be terrible with bleu cheese :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

These would all be terrible with bleu cheese :colbert:

I said it's the only acceptable sauce, not that I would always dip wings in them.

But addendum: bleu cheese for buffalo wings.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
I’ve been in Korea the past month and have been living off Gorgonzola pizza and soy sauce fried chicken I’m gonna die soon

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jay Carney posted:

I’ve been in Korea the past month and have been living off Gorgonzola pizza and soy sauce fried chicken I’m gonna die soon
So many other options though. Bibimbap, bulgogi, and Korean BBQ.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If I eat any of those three items or dried Pollock soup or mandoo any more I’m gonna drown myself in the East Sea

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Jay Carney posted:

If I eat any of those three items or dried Pollock soup or mandoo any more I’m gonna drown myself in the East Sea
Need to go up to Pyeonchang then, I'm sure they have international food for the Olympics.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jay Carney posted:

did you seriously come to korea not liking spicy food

this is like coming to america and disliking large portions

or coming to britain for the food

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

yup i hate spicy food and traveling nail on the head right there

Pyeongchang kinda sucks all the Koreans working for me keep ripping on it, it is pretty hilarious. They are all from Seoul and keep on telling me that they want to go home. Gangneung is a little bit better but tbh the Olympics are kind of rear end, though one of my fixers is taking me to a seafood market where I will eat alive things and infinite crab I'm pretty pumped.

edit: korea also has an amazing coffee game, on average better than the states

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 20, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

al-azad posted:

This, but the opposite.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's weird that I can't find a rice-to-water ratio in weight. We've got the science of brewing coffee down to an exact 1/16 grams of coffee to water but the sagely wisdom for rice is still twice the water, making certain you use the same device for dry ounces to fluid ounces so you get that nice pudding texture as the kernels blow out and fuse together in a homogeneous lump of starch.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pudding texture?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Josh Lyman posted:

Need to go up to Pyeonchang then, I'm sure they have international food for the Olympics.

to a first and second approximation, all the international food that exists in korea exists in seoul

everywhere but seoul has better actualkorean food

stay the gently caress out of korea if you don't like spicy food, ok

it's not like in thailand or mexico where they have the actual spiciest food but it's labelled properly and a small portion of the cuisine

we make everything spicy, including things you thought weren't supposed to be spicy

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's weird that I can't find a rice-to-water ratio in weight. We've got the science of brewing coffee down to an exact 1/16 grams of coffee to water but the sagely wisdom for rice is still twice the water, making certain you use the same device for dry ounces to fluid ounces so you get that nice pudding texture as the kernels blow out and fuse together in a homogeneous lump of starch.

As all things dependent on humidity

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

al-azad posted:

Maybe you can't, but Zojirushi sure can.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Pudding texture?

If you've never had bad rice because the instructions recommend way too much water so you get a texture that's halfway to congee or rice pudding then you are blessed.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 20, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

to a first and second approximation, all the international food that exists in korea exists in seoul

everywhere but seoul has better actualkorean food

stay the gently caress out of korea if you don't like spicy food, ok

it's not like in thailand or mexico where they have the actual spiciest food but it's labelled properly and a small portion of the cuisine

we make everything spicy, including things you thought weren't supposed to be spicy

What on earth are you even trying to say right now. Also, hate to break it to you but Korean food isn’t that spicy.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

If you've never had bad rice because the instructions recommend way too much water so you get a texture that's halfway to congee or rice pudding then you are blessed.

:shrug: I grew up with a rice cooker :v:

The only time I stray from the rice cooker is congee.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

al-azad posted:

This has literally never happened to me. What instructions are you reading?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I just eyeball my rice and it's good 95% of the time

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rice is always better too moist than too dry.

Dry, crunchy rice sucks rear end.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jay Carney posted:

What on earth are you even trying to say right now. Also, hate to break it to you but Korean food isn’t that spicy.

it isn't that spicy
the spiciness is omnipresent, which is why you can only eat like whatever 5 kinds of foods you're eating

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So I’ve been using my stainless steel pots to cook rice lately, and to prevent sticking, ive out a tsp or olive oil in with the water. Is there any other way I could prevent sticking? A little bit still sticks, but nothing like it used to.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Drink and Fight posted:

This has literally never happened to me. What instructions are you reading?

Follow the explicit instructions on like any supermarket thing of rice and you'll get slop guaranteed.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it isn't that spicy
the spiciness is omnipresent, which is why you can only eat like whatever 5 kinds of foods you're eating

Or the food in Pyeongchang kind of sucks. But keep on thinking Korean food is some kind of special club.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

Follow the explicit instructions on like any supermarket thing of rice and you'll get slop guaranteed.

I've never had that problem. Are you buying super lovely generic white person long grain rice or something?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I've never had that problem. Are you buying super lovely generic white person long grain rice or something?

No, I just find that the cooking instructions either call for more water than necessary or too long cooking time. I'll try a little experiment later although I don't even think my brand of rice has instructions on it. At least not in English.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jay Carney posted:

Or the food in Pyeongchang kind of sucks. But keep on thinking Korean food is some kind of special club.

every kind of food is a special club

that's what makes cuisines different

Kalista
Oct 18, 2001
Buy a Zojirushi, use good rice, make good rice for 14+ years with that same machine which has long since paid for itself in good rice every time.

I could never, ever get rice to come out right on the stove, regardless of what instructions I used -- I decided it was a talent I didn't have. I bought a Zojirushi, and I haven't had rice problems for a very long time.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You don't even need that. I have been using a cheapo panasonic for like 8 years now and haven't had any rice problems.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

"Use salsa as a sandwich topper"

https://skillet.lifehacker.com/use-salsa-as-a-sandwich-topper-1822341493

I'm deffo not trusting lifehacker for food haxx prima facie, especially with that lead image.

Anybody actually tried and enjoyed this?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Would depend on the sandwich I guess. I could see it being a good replacement for tomato when they're out of season on a BLT or club sandwich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I put rice in pot. I run water over rice and swirl it around and rinse it off. Then I put water in pot until it's about 1/2 inch over the top of the rice (more for a big pot) and add a bit of salt. Then I bring it to a boil on high, then I turn it down to medium low. When the rice is poking out of the water evenly, I turn it down to lowest setting and throw a lid on it. It's ready in like 8 more minutes.

I have like 6 kinds of rice in my cupboard and it works with all of them :shrug: