Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

if there is no C then this isnt a ICO

Ok, there are a bunch of solar blockchain things.

Here's another.

https://solardao.me

Reduce risks and costs while surpassing technical barriers of investing in PV solar plants across the globe. Own solar assets freely, safely, and anonymously.

$443,340
value of tokens sold in ICO

And:

https://solarbankers.com

By creating a freely accessible marketplace for renewable energy trading, Solar Bankers is challenging the dominance of the large energy companies. With Solar Bankers, consumers can produce their own electricity and sell any excess at competitive prices to their neighbors via local marketplaces.

But Solar Bankers is more than just a marketplace, we also supply cutting-edge photovoltaic devices that are able to produce clean energy at some of the lowest costs in the market.

Their ICO: https://icoholder.com/en/suncoin-2328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

twitter really needs to allow me to swear again.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

pangstrom posted:

Maybe: They do very well at their task, but if you peek under the hood they're relying on weird abstractions that are very exploitable.

The most depressing day in all of human history is going to be the day some university announces that they did all the models and mapped all the connections and they now know how human brains work and everyone has to look at the paper and say "that's it?"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

Here's another.

Reduce risks and costs while surpassing technical barriers of investing in PV solar plants across the globe. Own solar assets freely, safely, and anonymously.

$443,340

And:

By creating a freely accessible marketplace for renewable energy trading, Solar Bankers is challenging the dominance of the large energy companies. With Solar Bankers, consumers can produce their own electricity and sell any excess at competitive prices to their neighbors via local marketplaces.

But Solar Bankers is more than just a marketplace, we also supply cutting-edge photovoltaic devices that are able to produce clean energy at some of the lowest costs in the market.

How the gently caress can you “buy and sell electricity without intermediates?” How do I take delivery of my kwh exactly?

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

VideoGameVet posted:

Here's another.

$443,340

And:

Again, what value does blockchain add here?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

Creating demand for the electricity you are selling thus creating a self-sustaining economy.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Kobayashi posted:

In some cases a way of funding the initial operations. In addition, a low overhead way of billing (NOT BTC).

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Trabisnikof posted:

How the gently caress can you “buy and sell electricity without intermediates?” How do I take delivery of my kwh exactly?

Barge loaded with charged capacitors.

Hope you have someplace to dock it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bates posted:

Creating demand for the electricity you are selling thus creating a self-sustaining economy.

Too bad the Patent Office rejects perpetual motion machines.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The most depressing day in all of human history is going to be the day some university announces that they did all the models and mapped all the connections and they now know how human brains work and everyone has to look at the paper and say "that's it?"

Eh at least that day would be a real boon for AI research, since it turning out to be disappointingly straightforward would probably mean you could recreate it.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

So you're decentralizing the piece that provides the least value, ignoring logistics or real world concerns, and leaving the entrenched monopolies in place while hoping enough people ignore the impracticality of what you're doing so that you can get rich. Sounds like BTC to me.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Baby Babbeh posted:

So you're decentralizing the piece that provides the least value, ignoring logistics or real world concerns, and leaving the entrenched monopolies in place while hoping enough people ignore the impracticality of what you're doing so that you can get rich. Sounds like BTC to me.

:bitcoin:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I'm solidly in the "machine learning is crazy useful/interesting" camp. It's better at some defined tasks than people, which is nothing to shake a stick at. But it's just qualitatively different from a biological intelligence and is relatively brittle/narrow.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

pangstrom posted:

I'm solidly in the "machine learning is crazy useful/interesting" camp. It's better at some defined tasks than people, which is nothing to shake a stick at. But it's just qualitatively different from a biological intelligence and is relatively brittle/narrow.

I don't know, our neural networks are pretty fragile too and can be forced to fail extremely bad in repeatable and predictable ways over and over forever.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

VideoGameVet posted:

In some cases a way of funding the initial operations. In addition, a low overhead way of billing (NOT BTC).

I don’t see any evidence that overhead for billing is less than solarcity or any other PPA.

Because remember you still need your normal grid tie-in and a utility net metering contract all on top of this additional billing system. As far as I can tell this is adding needless complexity for no benefit to solar owners or the environment.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Consumer electric "competition" is one of the fakest things possible.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I don't know, our neural networks are pretty fragile too and can be forced to fail extremely bad in repeatable and predictable ways over and over forever.

There really is no comparison in vision (Kahneman & Tversky type stuff, sure different story). Most optical illusions tap heuristics that are adaptive 99.9% of the time, knowing the absolute luminescence of something isn't that important in practice, etc. etc. Current adversarial examples in machine learning are much more striking/damning. Machine learning isn't even doing figure ground separation that well yet, and most general models in use just punt on that. You can say "B-but B-but the Kanizsa Triangle Illusion", but if you designed an image processor that "fell" for stuff like that but wouldn't fall for "Fooling glasses" or whatever, you'd definitely take it.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Why, just the other day I decapitated a guy because I couldn't tell if it was a vase or two faces.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

Trabisnikof posted:

Ultimately, one kW of power delivered over a specific time period is a fungible good, so you just need a central settlement system that takes into account the purchases and sales, so that the right customer can be billed the right amount in net. You also need to decide how much you're going to charge someone who generates 5 kWh one day and consumes 5 kWh the next (having zero net metered consumption) should pay for their use of the grid, which is a question which always results in a blazing row.

A bunch of starry-eyed idiots then come along and take a broadly workable idea that still needs a bit of development, stick a "BUT WITH BLOCKCHAIN!" on it and proceed to get a load of research funding for their doctorate while failing to explain why they can't use a loving database to accomplish this task.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RDevz posted:

Ultimately, one kW of power delivered over a specific time period is a fungible good, so you just need a central settlement system that takes into account the purchases and sales, so that the right customer can be billed the right amount in net. You also need to decide how much you're going to charge someone who generates 5 kWh one day and consumes 5 kWh the next (having zero net metered consumption) should pay for their use of the grid, which is a question which always results in a blazing row.

A bunch of starry-eyed idiots then come along and take a broadly workable idea that still needs a bit of development, stick a "BUT WITH BLOCKCHAIN!" on it and proceed to get a load of research funding for their doctorate while failing to explain why they can't use a loving database to accomplish this task.

Yeah but the grid provider is still the intermediate in your example.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

My idea is a ICO that's inversely valued on all other stupid bitcoin clones, call it FailureCoin. It can only go up uP UP!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

T-man posted:

My idea is a ICO that's inversely valued on all other stupid bitcoin clones, call it FailureCoin. It can only go up uP UP!

https://ponzicoin.co/home.html

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

T-man posted:

Meanwhile, I'll sell AAA-rated financial derivatives of FailureCoin to protect investors from having to own FailureCoin itself.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Trabant posted:

Meanwhile, I'll sell AAA-rated financial derivatives of FailureCoin to protect investors from having to own FailureCoin itself.

Pretty sure those investors will need some insurance and I happen to have a special one time offer just for them!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Trabant posted:

I started writing a tongue-in-cheek post for a blockchain-based ledger program you could use to track derivative transactions, except then I realized I'd basically created a less useful version of an actual ledger.

Of course, this means that my valuation now exceeds the entire value of the pulp paper industry, so clearly it's a great success story.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Sundae posted:

I started writing a tongue-in-cheek post for a blockchain-based ledger program you could use to track derivative transactions, except then I realized I'd basically created a less useful version of an actual ledger.

Of course, this means that my valuation now exceeds the entire value of the pulp paper industry, so clearly it's a great success story.

[img-shut-up-and-take-my-money]

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
In media unicorn News: Vox is laying off 5% of their workforce. There are rumors going around of an ever higher cut at Vice similar to Buzzfeeds triple digits last year.

:commissar::capitalism:

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

the panacea posted:

In media unicorn News: Vox is laying off 5% of their workforce. There are rumors going around of an ever higher cut at Vice similar to Buzzfeeds triple digits last year.

Will there even be some form of journalism in the future? I know these places aren't great but like what's going to happen going forward if no news media companies can be profitable at all.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

It will be interesting to see what digital advertising looks like when adblock adoption approaches 99%.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

the panacea posted:

loving hell, at least they got a union first.

Turns out Google doesn't like people speaking up about diversity, but not the way Damore claims.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Asimov posted:

It will be interesting to see what digital advertising looks like when adblock adoption approaches 99%.

The media companies will push for laws that make adblockers illegal.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Google remains poo poo. Quell surprise

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Quellist revolutionaries, you say?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weatherman posted:

The media companies will push for laws that make adblockers illegal.

Should be funny given iirc, Google is apparently planning to build a bare-minimum adblocker into Chrome just to fend off malware.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Maybe Google should just get rid of their dumbass internal message board. Who the hell thought any good would come out of it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Asimov posted:

More films like Moonlight, basically.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

eschaton posted:

Quellist revolutionaries, you say?

:prepop: into :getin:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

pangstrom posted:

There really is no comparison in vision (Kahneman & Tversky type stuff, sure different story). Most optical illusions tap heuristics that are adaptive 99.9% of the time, knowing the absolute luminescence of something isn't that important in practice, etc. etc. Current adversarial examples in machine learning are much more striking/damning.

Well yeah duh. Human vision systems have a long evolutionary history so all the ones that failed in catastrophic ways aren't around anymore. Babby's first machine learning script doesn't. We should probably try to design machine learning that e.g. recognises relevant features like major shapes on signs instead of automatically training itself on their small-scale texture or whatever, but I would be surprised if that doesn't become practical to do.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

uggy posted:

Will there even be some form of journalism in the future? I know these places aren't great but like what's going to happen going forward if no news media companies can be profitable at all.

JournalismCoin! Like you had to ask.

* POE: An Economic Tool for Crowdsourcing Truth: Using tokenized incentives to value the world’s digital creative assets - freelancers.com with a private company currency
* Civil - "Get paid directly by the people affected by your reporting: Cash out CVL tokens to pay your rent or fill up the car, or hold them in order to benefit from the ecosystem's long-term growth."
* Publicism - whoops, they've done nothing since 2016 except a blog post that doesn't set out what they're doing
* Decentralized News Network - with zero journalists on the actual team - their big idea is "The review process is rooted in game theory, which is where the reward/penalty structure comes into place. The process of review will hopefully get users to behave."
* PressCoin - same poo poo really, pay journalists in company pogs rather than actual loving money

Civil have a pile of backing and actually have at least some proper journalists on board with getting paid in company pogs, 'cos poo poo's loving desperate. They got the DNA team from Chicago, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

uggy posted:

Sure, it just will all be right-wing clickbait made by junior high schoolers in a beautiful suburban slum in Montenegro.