Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Realtalk, XIV is amazing. Second half of heavensward is easily the best ff story I've played, followed closely by the first half of stormblood. Tragic and sympathetic villains are the best, it'll be hard to top the Shiva storyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Rutibex posted:

getting knights of the round took longer than just beating the final boss legitimately

Beating the boss with Knights of the Round fuckin' took longer than the rest of the game.

That's why I set up some sort of Demi machine-gun with a quad cast materia and mimic. Demi worked on it and did percentage damage, so even Demi 1 was 9999 for most of the fight, and didn't take a billion years.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
I think I got about 10 hours into XV. I'm sure I'll pick it up again at some point, but I'm certainly not in any hurry to do so. This will be just like XII, which took me like 3 years to beat.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I haven’t played all of the FFs, but can anyone weigh in on which game had the most hard as poo poo optional hidden boss?

I know there’s the Weapons in 7, Ozma in 9 (and ones I’m forgetting), but in 12, I feel like a bunch in 12 were complete assholes unless you knew beforehand exactly how to set up your gambits.

Then again, I had a stupid habit of ‘derp derp, I’m exploring!’ Then whoops! I ran into Cuchulainn FML’

(Also just to either assuage my fear or out me as a dumbass, was there anything you could do against ‘enemy raised a paling’ that I forgot about?)

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

myDad posted:

And the love triangle of a demon, a saint, and a cat.

The saint is cool 'cause she's like the inverse of most anime. She's actually 15 years old but has the body of a 1,000 year old.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Rutibex posted:

that's hosed up, why even do that? breeding the loving golden chocobo to get knights of the round was a royal pain the in rear end, they should let me one shot sephiroth. the summon was only actually useful for fighting ruby weapon anyway

Xenosaga III did that. If you got the super robot summon you could totally one-shot the final boss like an rear end in a top hat. It was great.

Also, good old JRPGs:

FF IX
Xenogears
That one with Goku (the monkey king guy, not Goku)
Lunar
Lunar 2
Dragon Quest

Every other one sucks poo poo.

KiteAuraan fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 21, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Sorry, I double phone posted

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Sentient Data posted:

Realtalk, XIV is amazing. Second half of heavensward is easily the best ff story I've played, followed closely by the first half of stormblood. Tragic and sympathetic villains are the best, it'll be hard to top the Shiva storyline

MMOs are a form of mental illness.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

I haven’t played all of the FFs, but can anyone weigh in on which game had the most hard as poo poo optional hidden boss?

I know there’s the Weapons in 7, Ozma in 9 (and ones I’m forgetting), but in 12, I feel like a bunch in 12 were complete assholes unless you knew beforehand exactly how to set up your gambits.

Then again, I had a stupid habit of ‘derp derp, I’m exploring!’ Then whoops! I ran into Cuchulainn FML’

(Also just to either assuage my fear or out me as a dumbass, was there anything you could do against ‘enemy raised a paling’ that I forgot about?)
Omega and Shinryu in FFV (and Neo Shinryu in the GBA version) were both hilariously brutal fights that I never managed to beat

Comedy answer: Culex in Super Mario RPG

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

KiteAuraan posted:

Lunar
Lunar 2

I have a lunar 2 omake box :3: I love that drat game

ronfar is my spirit animal

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Jimmy Hats posted:

I have a lunar 2 omake box :3: I love that drat game

ronfar is my spirit animal

I went back a while ago to replay Lunar and hoooolllllyyyy poo poo I didnt even make it through the opening movie. That fat fucks voice was like compressed Anime and I noped right the gently caress outta there.
My anime tolerance level is incredibly low these days.

FF14 looked good, but I couldn't make it past the Slyph quests.

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
A xenogears remake would be really cool too because there's lots of cool locations and stuff in that game but it's basically unplayable now because the graphics are so bad

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was hoping it would be turn based

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Everyone that wanted a remake of it did.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've never played anything after IX and looking at this rapid fire running around button mashing poo poo looks dumb is it dumb

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

This is really all you have to see to know if the remake is gonna be any good.

It's not. Cloud is a starving heroin addict now, I guess? Make some money off people who never actually played FF7 and only seem to know that fake made up " Cloud so emo and sad lol" poo poo.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
The sheer amount of bizarre creature designs in FF7 are my favorite thing about it. Everyone working on the models and stuff for the game was learning the software as they went, and the budget and production time were both pretty limited. It feels like there was a lot of 'well I spent the last month working on these monstrosities when I had barely any idea what I was doing, but welp guess we have to use them' and that owns.

Also anyone on the fence about XV just steer clear, there's almost nothing redeeming about it except that its pretty. The big extra boss of the game is basically just a big rock with an excessive amount of health that just kind of flails around once in awhile. Except there's a magic ring you can equip as a weapon that was patched well after launch to allow it to work on almost anything, the super-boss included. so you can literally just hold circle while chugging ethers at a safe distance until it vanishes into the void from your magic ring. A+ gameplay

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

It's not. Cloud is a starving heroin addict now, I guess? Make some money off people who never actually played FF7 and only seem to know that fake made up " Cloud so emo and sad lol" poo poo.

cloud was always a skinny aloof jerk though

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Johnny Aztec posted:

every time this comes up in an interview the director/writer is like "no cloud was a huge dick in ff7, not a mopey loser, what are you talking about"

hope you're ready to do some mother loving squats at the gym and then go celebrate your victory by getting gangbanged

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Chillgamesh posted:

hope you're ready to do some mother loving squats at the gym and then go celebrate your victory by getting gangbanged

I play games to escape reality, not relive it.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

All I ask from games is the weapons and outfits I go to all the trouble of getting show up in the damned cutscenes.

Pasketti
Nov 8, 2017

lick lick lick

bloom posted:

Also that area is like 10min and you could always just flee the battles. Not using Wakka and Rikku is messed up though, they both own.

...13 year old Pasketti hosed up big time

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Bubble Bobby posted:

A xenogears remake would be really cool too because there's lots of cool locations and stuff in that game but it's basically unplayable now because the graphics are so bad

I don't think it aged that bad. Half the game is sprites and all the cutscenes are anime. And most of the models are robots and it's okay for them to have sharp angles.

So I won't accept a Xenogears remake unless it's not just updated but also all that stuff on Disk 2 is actually finished and playable.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I don't think it aged that bad. Half the game is sprites and all the cutscenes are anime. And most of the models are robots and it's okay for them to have sharp angles.

So I won't accept a Xenogears remake unless it's not just updated but also all that stuff on Disk 2 is actually finished and playable.

I forgot about that, there's a really jarring part of the game where significant events and other stuff are going down but it gets explained to you in still shots. Some of the stuff sounds like it could have been neat to see fleshed out instead of being someone talking to themselves while thinking about it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chillgamesh posted:

every time this comes up in an interview the director/writer is like "no cloud was a huge dick in ff7, not a mopey loser, what are you talking about"

yeah it was FF8 that had the mopey loser. people get them confused.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Eh squall mostly gets over it towards the end

FF8 had a busted as poo poo battle system and generally meandered around a lot but it had by far the best set pieces of all the ff games. Assassinating the sorceress, garden battle, jumping out into space, etc were all really rad. Also laguna shooting the movie.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

great big cardboard tube posted:

No one seems to remember legend of legaia but child me ate that poo poo up. Also crono cross, gently caress the haters that soundtrack was amazing

Legaia had that weird fighting game dial a a combo thing. For some reason they also used a triple disc case even though the game was only on one disc.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Jimmy Hats posted:

Eh squall mostly gets over it towards the end

FF8 had a busted as poo poo battle system and generally meandered around a lot but it had by far the best set pieces of all the ff games. Assassinating the sorceress, garden battle, jumping out into space, etc were all really rad. Also laguna shooting the movie.

remember when everyone forgot that they grew up together in that orphanage with the sorceress and the mayor of battle school.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

The Big Word posted:

Omega and Shinryu in FFV (and Neo Shinryu in the GBA version) were both hilariously brutal fights that I never managed to beat

Comedy answer: Culex in Super Mario RPG

Culex is the best gently caress you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

scott zoloft posted:

remember when everyone forgot that they grew up together in that orphanage with the sorceress and the mayor of battle school.

i must have junctioned to many guardian forces myself because i deliberately forgot that too

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Legend of Legaia was pretty cool. You had to punch random monsters to death to learn magic.

But unless that magic healed you it was useless because just punching fuckers to death was most effective. :black101:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Squall was a mopey winner and Seifer was a confident loser.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I like how everyone in the world of FF8 is cool with the idea of private armies of child soldiers using weapons that give them memory loss.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

The Skeleton King posted:

Did any of you fuckers play Dirge of Cerberus? That's what you're getting.

God I hope so

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I still can't believe just how bad 13 was. The game looks like less fun than doing your taxes and the plot is so bad that it comes with a mandatory encyclopedia that you have to read.

13-2 was at least more fun to play since you could get overpowered monsters to kill everything for you so you could ignore the lovely battles. It also had some weird nu-metal theme for a fight with a giant tomato, which is funny to me. I have no idea what happens in 13-2 either. I don't think they were even trying to be coherent anymore.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

bloom posted:

I like how everyone in the world of FF8 is cool with the idea of private armies of child soldiers using weapons that give them memory loss.

People in real life are cool with this too as long as they never see it. At most they will post angry hashtags about it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

The Skeleton King posted:

People in real life are cool with this too as long as they never see it. At most they will post angry hashtags about it.

Also lead poisoning from firing guns regularly, which can give you memory loss

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rutibex posted:

Squall was actually very proactive throughout the entire game, just like Cloud was. They both just look like mopey losers so everyone assumes they are.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Who What Now posted:

Squall was actually very proactive throughout the entire game, just like Cloud was. They both just look like [standard anime protagonists]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

scott zoloft posted:

hah and everyone is so relaxed about finding out they are basically child soldiers for a private university corporation who have been so mentally interfered with that they have no idea who they are